  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 5, 2005 5:55:40 PM

My 6yo PC running win98 doesn't support USB. Since new printers now have
USB, do the adapter cords use a parallel to serial convertor?

tks for any info

Jason

More about : question usb parallel ports

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:55:41 PM

No, they dont,
install a $10 usb card in your pc, then it does support USB

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
news:D 2t1vt$2dv$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> My 6yo PC running win98 doesn't support USB. Since new printers now have
> USB, do the adapter cords use a parallel to serial convertor?
>
> tks for any info
>
> Jason

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:22:16 AM

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o HGiEQcOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> No, they dont,
> install a $10 usb card in your pc, then it does support USB

Thanx for that.

Jason
April 6, 2005 6:22:17 AM

If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
support.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
news:D 2udnq$g3h$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o HGiEQcOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > No, they dont,
> > install a $10 usb card in your pc, then it does support USB
>

> Thanx for that.
>
> Jason

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:10 PM

news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
> Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
> support.

Yeah,..thks for that,..it is an SE. Another potential hassle avoided.

Jason
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:11 PM

I don't know if your new printer is USB2 or not, but a USB2 card works
fine for USB 1.1, and if you get any USB2 devices in the future, you'll
be glad to have "thought ahead", <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
news:D 2viqe$cej$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

> news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
> > Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
> > support.
> >

> Yeah,..thks for that,..it is an SE. Another potential hassle avoided.
>
> Jason

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:12 PM

I still haven't picked up one of those. I wonder how long I can get away
with the built in USB 1.1. My printer attaches to the parallel printer
port. But I do have a video capture device that uses the USB port, and my
video capture rates are a bit limited (to about 4 Mbps) by USB 1.1, but,
heck, that's good enough for me!! Still, I was curious what requires USB
2 out there (and doesn't work with USB 1.1). Happen to know off hand?

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> I don't know if your new printer is USB2 or not, but a USB2 card works
> fine for USB 1.1, and if you get any USB2 devices in the future, you'll
> be glad to have "thought ahead", <s>.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
> news:D 2viqe$cej$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>>
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
>>> Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
>>> support.
>>>

>> Yeah,..thks for that,..it is an SE. Another potential hassle avoided.
>>
>> Jason
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:13 PM

External hard drives are dang near worthless without USB2 or IEE1394,
<g>. And I suspect that really new, high-resolution scanners might also
not be worth the effort without one, at least when you're pushing the
resolution limits. For the most part, however, USB2 devices will work
over USB 1.1, but like your video capture and the other things I've
mentioned, USB2 is what makes them sweet.

More importantly, with the majority of these devices these days, you
have to have Win98SE to even install the support software, drivers,
etc., and if you have Win98SE, not having USB2 is, well, kinda dumb.
They cost a pittance.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I still haven't picked up one of those. I wonder how long I can get
away
> with the built in USB 1.1. My printer attaches to the parallel
printer
> port. But I do have a video capture device that uses the USB port,
and my
> video capture rates are a bit limited (to about 4 Mbps) by USB 1.1,
but,
> heck, that's good enough for me!! Still, I was curious what
requires USB
> 2 out there (and doesn't work with USB 1.1). Happen to know off
hand?

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > I don't know if your new printer is USB2 or not, but a USB2 card
works
> > fine for USB 1.1, and if you get any USB2 devices in the future,
you'll
> > be glad to have "thought ahead", <s>.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
> > news:D 2viqe$cej$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> >>
> >> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
USB2

> >> Yeah,..thks for that,..it is an SE. Another potential hassle
avoided.

> >> Jason

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:14 PM

I see that at least one card (ADS) is around $35 (with several ports). It
might be a good idea, it's just that I haven't added any peripherals, or
found a reason to yet, so I dunno.

Of course. if I wait too long, maybe these cards will go out, too. I
figure it's just a matter of time, since the only reason I can imagine they
have these cards is for the old computers that don't already have USB 2
capability built in.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> External hard drives are dang near worthless without USB2 or IEE1394,
> <g>. And I suspect that really new, high-resolution scanners might also
> not be worth the effort without one, at least when you're pushing the
> resolution limits. For the most part, however, USB2 devices will work
> over USB 1.1, but like your video capture and the other things I've
> mentioned, USB2 is what makes them sweet.
>
> More importantly, with the majority of these devices these days, you
> have to have Win98SE to even install the support software, drivers,
> etc., and if you have Win98SE, not having USB2 is, well, kinda dumb.
> They cost a pittance.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I still haven't picked up one of those. I wonder how long I can get
away
>> with the built in USB 1.1. My printer attaches to the parallel printer
>> port. But I do have a video capture device that uses the USB port, and
my
>> video capture rates are a bit limited (to about 4 Mbps) by USB 1.1, but,
>> heck, that's good enough for me!! Still, I was curious what requires
USB
>> 2 out there (and doesn't work with USB 1.1). Happen to know off hand?
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> I don't know if your new printer is USB2 or not, but a USB2 card works
>>> fine for USB 1.1, and if you get any USB2 devices in the future, you'll
>>> be glad to have "thought ahead", <s>.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
>>> news:D 2viqe$cej$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:15 PM

Or that need more channels. Contrary to popular myth, you can't
daisy-chain USB forever, <s>.

Here's a D-Link w/ five ports for $27.44
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10316326&loc=...

--

> I see that at least one card (ADS) is around $35 (with several ports).
It
> might be a good idea, it's just that I haven't added any peripherals,
or
> found a reason to yet, so I dunno.
>
> Of course. if I wait too long, maybe these cards will go out, too. I
> figure it's just a matter of time, since the only reason I can imagine
they
> have these cards is for the old computers that don't already have USB
2
> capability built in.

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:16 PM

When you add that USB card, how does the system know what to do with the
existing USB 1.1 port on the existing board? I could see how there might
be a clash there!

I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100, and was just curious. Hopefully it's
not as arcane as going inside and having to move some jumper to disable the
existing USB 1.1 port. I don't even know if I have that documentation.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Or that need more channels. Contrary to popular myth, you can't
> daisy-chain USB forever, <s>.
>
> Here's a D-Link w/ five ports for $27.44
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10316326&loc=...
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I see that at least one card (ADS) is around $35 (with several ports). It
>> might be a good idea, it's just that I haven't added any peripherals, or
>> found a reason to yet, so I dunno.
>>
>> Of course. if I wait too long, maybe these cards will go out, too. I
>> figure it's just a matter of time, since the only reason I can imagine
they
>> have these cards is for the old computers that don't already have USB 2
>> capability built in.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:17 PM

Nothing of the sort. System has no problems whatsoever with multiple USB
ports of differing types. They're just a bunch of devices to Windows.
This is one of those devices where you *expect* to see multiple entries
in Device Manager.

--

> When you add that USB card, how does the system know what to do with
the
> existing USB 1.1 port on the existing board? I could see how there
might
> be a clash there!
>
> I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100, and was just curious.
Hopefully it's
> not as arcane as going inside and having to move some jumper to
disable the
> existing USB 1.1 port. I don't even know if I have that
documentation.

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Or that need more channels. Contrary to popular myth, you can't
> > daisy-chain USB forever, <s>.
> >
> > Here's a D-Link w/ five ports for $27.44
> > http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10316326&loc=...
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> I see that at least one card (ADS) is around $35 (with several
ports). It
> >> might be a good idea, it's just that I haven't added any
peripherals, or
> >> found a reason to yet, so I dunno.
> >>
> >> Of course. if I wait too long, maybe these cards will go out, too.
> >> figure it's just a matter of time, since the only reason I can
imagine
> they
> >> have these cards is for the old computers that don't already have
USB 2
> >> capability built in.

April 6, 2005 6:52:51 PM

I recently copied my stamp image album
to external HDD as a back up. 98se celeron366 USB2
9.45 Gb in 1hour 36 minutes.

With USB2 there is a constant flow, with1.1 there was
read-copy-paste,read-copy-paste etc etc

HTH

| I still haven't picked up one of those. I wonder how long I can get away
| with the built in USB 1.1. My printer attaches to the parallel printer
| port. But I do have a video capture device that uses the USB port, and my
| video capture rates are a bit limited (to about 4 Mbps) by USB 1.1, but,
| heck, that's good enough for me!! Still, I was curious what requires USB
| 2 out there (and doesn't work with USB 1.1). Happen to know off hand?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:36:33 PM

Seems like it might be a good idea to disable the older USB 1.1 port (when i
get that board). I guess one could always do that in Device Manager.

I thought I read that USB uses one or two interrupts - so by adding that USB
card to what is already there (the 1.1 port), aren't you tying up some
additional interrupts? They can't use the same ones, can they? I assume
not since it's conceivable you could have both ports in use (I would think).

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Nothing of the sort. System has no problems whatsoever with multiple USB
> ports of differing types. They're just a bunch of devices to Windows.
> This is one of those devices where you *expect* to see multiple entries
> in Device Manager.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> When you add that USB card, how does the system know what to do with the
>> existing USB 1.1 port on the existing board? I could see how there
might
>> be a clash there!
>>
>> I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100, and was just curious.
> Hopefully it's
>> not as arcane as going inside and having to move some jumper to disable
the
>> existing USB 1.1 port. I don't even know if I have that documentation.
>>

>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> Or that need more channels. Contrary to popular myth, you can't
>>> daisy-chain USB forever, <s>.
>>>
>>> Here's a D-Link w/ five ports for $27.44
>>> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10316326&loc=...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
It

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:36:34 PM

I wouldn't bother disabling anything unless you find that it actually
helps. And no, AFAIK, there is no problem with piling multiple USB
devices onto the same interrupt.

--

> Seems like it might be a good idea to disable the older USB 1.1 port
(when i
> get that board). I guess one could always do that in Device Manager.
>
> I thought I read that USB uses one or two interrupts - so by adding
that USB
> card to what is already there (the 1.1 port), aren't you tying up some
> additional interrupts? They can't use the same ones, can they? I
assume
> not since it's conceivable you could have both ports in use (I would
think).

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Nothing of the sort. System has no problems whatsoever with multiple
USB
> > ports of differing types. They're just a bunch of devices to
Windows.
> > This is one of those devices where you *expect* to see multiple
entries
> > in Device Manager.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> When you add that USB card, how does the system know what to do
with the
> >> existing USB 1.1 port on the existing board? I could see how
there
> might
> >> be a clash there!
> >>
> >> I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100, and was just curious.
> > Hopefully it's
> >> not as arcane as going inside and having to move some jumper to
disable
> the
> >> existing USB 1.1 port. I don't even know if I have that
documentation.

> It
> or

> they
USB 2

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:48:49 AM

i have usb flashdrive 2.0 and plugged it into vanilla 98,
works just fine.

pros n' cons

news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
> Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
> support.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
> news:D 2udnq$g3h$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> >
> > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:o HGiEQcOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > No, they dont,
> > > install a $10 usb card in your pc, then it does support USB
> >

> > Thanx for that.
> >
> > Jason

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:48:50 AM

works, but only at 1.1 speed if I follow this thread right,
If thats how it goes I guess I can afford a USB2 card for one of these
things, though the dv and scanner are both 1394 firewire, they'll get
replaced eventually

--

"pros-cons" <pros@cons.com> wrote in message
news:o EdVIqpOFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> i have usb flashdrive 2.0 and plugged it into vanilla 98,
> works just fine.
>
> pros n' cons

> news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
> > Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
> > support.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
> > news:D 2udnq$g3h$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> > >
> > > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o HGiEQcOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > >

> > > Thanx for that.
> > >
> > > Jason

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:48:50 AM

Works just fine... At USB1.1 speeds.

What may *not* work just fine on Win98 "Gold" are many modern USB2
devices, mostly because the manufacturers don't write drivers for that
version of Windows.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"pros-cons" <pros@cons.com> wrote in message
news:o EdVIqpOFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> i have usb flashdrive 2.0 and plugged it into vanilla 98,
> works just fine.
>
> pros n' cons

> news:o 633vogOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > If your Windows is Second Edition, then be sure to get a USB2 card.
> > Won't do any good on Windows 98 "Gold", though, since it has no USB2
> > support.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Jason James" <associate@dodo.comzapspam.au> wrote in message
> > news:D 2udnq$g3h$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> > >
> > > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > news:o HGiEQcOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > >

> > > Thanx for that.
> > >
> > > Jason

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:17 PM

USB is a PCI device and PCI supports multiple devices using one interrupt.

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Seems like it might be a good idea to disable the older USB 1.1 port (when
> get that board). I guess one could always do that in Device Manager.
>
> I thought I read that USB uses one or two interrupts - so by adding that
> USB
> card to what is already there (the 1.1 port), aren't you tying up some
> additional interrupts? They can't use the same ones, can they? I
> assume
> not since it's conceivable you could have both ports in use (I would
> think).

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:18 PM

OK, thanks for that info.

I just added a two port USB2 card to my Dell (which used to only have a
single USB 1.1 port, I believe from the motherboard (it was not a PCI card).

After installing the new drivers for this TechGear USB2 card, for some
reason in Control Panel, Device Manager, I now find the following mess
listed (but no yellow exclamations):

under the first Universal Serial Bus Controllers item:
ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB 2.0 Root Hub

and under a second Universal Serial Bus Controllers item:
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller (that was from before)
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I was surprised to find such a mess - and 4 USB "Root Hubs" listed, whatever
that is all about. I just expected to find two USB ports added, plain and
simple.

In case there were some duplicate devices there (and I assumed there might
be), I tried removing most of them above, but when it rebooted, it put them
all back in again (but I didn't try Safe Mode). Strange. Or I've got a
bit more to learn still..

Jeff Richards wrote:
> USB is a PCI device and PCI supports multiple devices using one interrupt.
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Seems like it might be a good idea to disable the older USB 1.1 port
(when
>> i get that board). I guess one could always do that in Device Manager.
>>
>> I thought I read that USB uses one or two interrupts - so by adding that
>> USB card to what is already there (the 1.1 port), aren't you tying up
some
>> additional interrupts? They can't use the same ones, can they? I
assume
>> not since it's conceivable you could have both ports in use (I would
>> think).
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:19 PM

It's normal, Bill. I may be off, but I see it this way:

The "USB controller", whatever type, is a "port", whereas the "Hub" is a
sort of traffic management device that keeps track of all the devices
that are connected through that hub (you can daisy-chain a fair number
of USB devices, including adding powered or not powered hubs farther out
the chain.) Thus, you can have several devices handled by each
Controller/Hub pair.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sfUSB-c.html
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sf_USB2.htm

> OK, thanks for that info.
>
> I just added a two port USB2 card to my Dell (which used to only have
> single USB 1.1 port, I believe from the motherboard (it was not a PCI
card).

> After installing the new drivers for this TechGear USB2 card, for some
> reason in Control Panel, Device Manager, I now find the following mess
> listed (but no yellow exclamations):
>
> under the first Universal Serial Bus Controllers item:
> ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> USB 2.0 Root Hub
>
> and under a second Universal Serial Bus Controllers item:
> ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller (that was from
before)
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> I was surprised to find such a mess - and 4 USB "Root Hubs" listed,
whatever
> that is all about. I just expected to find two USB ports added,
plain and
> simple.
>
> In case there were some duplicate devices there (and I assumed there
might
> be), I tried removing most of them above, but when it rebooted, it put
them
> all back in again (but I didn't try Safe Mode). Strange. Or I've
got a
> bit more to learn still..
>
> Jeff Richards wrote:
> > USB is a PCI device and PCI supports multiple devices using one
interrupt.

> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> Seems like it might be a good idea to disable the older USB 1.1
port
> (when
> >> i get that board). I guess one could always do that in Device
Manager.

> >> I thought I read that USB uses one or two interrupts - so by adding
that
> >> USB card to what is already there (the 1.1 port), aren't you tying
up
> some
> >> additional interrupts? They can't use the same ones, can they?
> assume
> >> not since it's conceivable you could have both ports in use (I
would
> >> think).

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:20 PM

Thanks for the info and links, Gary. I just checked them out, but guess
I'll have to do a little more digging to really understand it. I mean,
the fact that there are 4 root hubs and 3 "Open Host" Controllers listed
(but there is that other guy listed, with only two ports being added, is
still a bit mystifying to me, but then again, I haven't got a good grasp on
Hub and Controllers just yet!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> It's normal, Bill. I may be off, but I see it this way:
>
> The "USB controller", whatever type, is a "port", whereas the "Hub" is a
> sort of traffic management device that keeps track of all the devices
> that are connected through that hub (you can daisy-chain a fair number
> of USB devices, including adding powered or not powered hubs farther out
> the chain.) Thus, you can have several devices handled by each
> Controller/Hub pair.
>
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sfUSB-c.html
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sf_USB2.htm
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sfUSB-c.html
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> OK, thanks for that info.
>>
>> I just added a two port USB2 card to my Dell (which used to only have a
>> single USB 1.1 port, I believe from the motherboard (it was not a PCI
card).

>> After installing the new drivers for this TechGear USB2 card, for some
>> reason in Control Panel, Device Manager, I now find the following mess
>> listed (but no yellow exclamations):
>>
>> under the first Universal Serial Bus Controllers item:
>> ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
>> USB 2.0 Root Hub
>>
>> and under a second Universal Serial Bus Controllers item:
>> ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
>> ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
>> ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
>> Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller (that was from before)
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>>
>> I was surprised to find such a mess - and 4 USB "Root Hubs" listed,
whatever
>> that is all about. I just expected to find two USB ports added, plain
and
>> simple.
>>
>> In case there were some duplicate devices there (and I assumed there
might
>> be), I tried removing most of them above, but when it rebooted, it put
them
>> all back in again (but I didn't try Safe Mode). Strange. Or I've got
>> bit more to learn still..
>>
>> Jeff Richards wrote:
>>> USB is a PCI device and PCI supports multiple devices using one
interrupt.

>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Manager.

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:21 PM

Do you have anything connected to the card yet?

--

news:o rcNY7KPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >> Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller (that was from
before)
> >> USB Root Hub
> >> USB Root Hub
> >> USB Root Hub
> >> USB Root Hub
> >>
> >> I was surprised to find such a mess - and 4 USB "Root Hubs" listed,
> whatever
> >> that is all about. I just expected to find two USB ports added,
plain
> and
> >> simple.
> >>
> >> In case there were some duplicate devices there (and I assumed
there
> might
> >> be), I tried removing most of them above, but when it rebooted, it
put
> them
> >> all back in again (but I didn't try Safe Mode). Strange. Or

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:22 PM

I just tried connecting it to the video capture card, and it appears to have
recognized USB2 just fine! (I checked some of the video settings).

What I think is involved here is there is a driver for the video capture
card, which talks to the USB2 driver (from Acer, in my case), which then
(finally) talks to windows.

IOW, it isn't just one driver that's involved here, but two.

So by this logic, anytime you add any USB device, two drivers will be
invoked (one for the specific hardware, and one for USB2 access between
windows and that specific hardware. Right?

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Do you have anything connected to the card yet?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o rcNY7KPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks for the info and links, Gary. I just checked them out, but guess
>> I'll have to do a little more digging to really understand it. I mean,
>> the fact that there are 4 root hubs and 3 "Open Host" Controllers listed
>> (but there is that other guy listed, with only two ports being added, is
>> still a bit mystifying to me, but then again, I haven't got a good grasp
on
>> Hub and Controllers just yet!
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> It's normal, Bill. I may be off, but I see it this way:
>>>
>>> The "USB controller", whatever type, is a "port", whereas the "Hub" is a
>>> sort of traffic management device that keeps track of all the devices
>>> that are connected through that hub (you can daisy-chain a fair number
>>> of USB devices, including adding powered or not powered hubs farther out
>>> the chain.) Thus, you can have several devices handled by each
>>> Controller/Hub pair.
>>>
>>> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sfUSB-c.html
>>> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sf_USB2.htm
>>> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/sfUSB-c.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:23 PM

Well, understand that I'm no USB wiz, but I think it's all you said...
and more.

--

> I just tried connecting it to the video capture card, and it appears
to have
> recognized USB2 just fine! (I checked some of the video settings).
>
> What I think is involved here is there is a driver for the video
capture
> card, which talks to the USB2 driver (from Acer, in my case), which
then
> (finally) talks to windows.
>
> IOW, it isn't just one driver that's involved here, but two.
>
> So by this logic, anytime you add any USB device, two drivers will be
> invoked (one for the specific hardware, and one for USB2 access
between
> windows and that specific hardware. Right?
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Do you have anything connected to the card yet?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > news:o rcNY7KPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> Thanks for the info and links, Gary. I just checked them out, but
guess
> >> I'll have to do a little more digging to really understand it. I
mean,
> >> the fact that there are 4 root hubs and 3 "Open Host" Controllers
listed
> >> (but there is that other guy listed, with only two ports being
added, is
> >> still a bit mystifying to me, but then again, I haven't got a good
grasp
> on
> >> Hub and Controllers just yet!

PCI

> before)

> might
> them
I've
> got a

> interrupt.

Device

> that

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:36:24 PM

Yeah, I just spent some time looking into it some more, and boy is it
complicated!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Well, understand that I'm no USB wiz, but I think it's all you said...
> and more.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I just tried connecting it to the video capture card, and it appears to
have
>> recognized USB2 just fine! (I checked some of the video settings).
>>
>> What I think is involved here is there is a driver for the video capture
>> card, which talks to the USB2 driver (from Acer, in my case), which then
>> (finally) talks to windows.
>>
>> IOW, it isn't just one driver that's involved here, but two.
>>
>> So by this logic, anytime you add any USB device, two drivers will be
>> invoked (one for the specific hardware, and one for USB2 access between
>> windows and that specific hardware. Right?
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> Do you have anything connected to the card yet?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o rcNY7KPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Device

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:45:12 PM

The USB controller is the device that provides the buss, much the same as a
PCI or ATA controller. They all need drivers to enable Windows to
communicate using the buss. The driver is loaded when the device (the
controller) is enumerated at startup. When the controller detects devices
being connected to the buss it asks Windows to load the drivers for that
device. The USB controller driver must already be loaded when the device is
connected, or there would be no way to tell Windows that a new device just
got attached. What you may be seeing is dynamic loading of portions of the
USB controller drivers, or a dynamic re-configuration depending on what gets
connected (a bit like the reconfiguration that happens when you connect a
hub). Note also that it is common for the physical unit that gets plugged
into the USB to actually appear as more than one logical device to Windows.

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I just tried connecting it to the video capture card, and it appears to
>have
> recognized USB2 just fine! (I checked some of the video settings).
>
> What I think is involved here is there is a driver for the video capture
> card, which talks to the USB2 driver (from Acer, in my case), which then
> (finally) talks to windows.
>
> IOW, it isn't just one driver that's involved here, but two.
>
> So by this logic, anytime you add any USB device, two drivers will be
> invoked (one for the specific hardware, and one for USB2 access between
> windows and that specific hardware. Right?
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:45:13 PM

Thanks Jeff. As I said in my post to Gary, and having just read a few
articles on it on line, it seems to be pretty complicated, if you really
want to understand it! And another comment below yours..

Jeff Richards wrote:
> The USB controller is the device that provides the buss, much the same as
> PCI or ATA controller. They all need drivers to enable Windows to
> communicate using the buss. The driver is loaded when the device (the
> controller) is enumerated at startup. When the controller detects devices
> being connected to the buss it asks Windows to load the drivers for that
> device. The USB controller driver must already be loaded when the device
is
> connected, or there would be no way to tell Windows that a new device just
> got attached. What you may be seeing is dynamic loading of portions of
the
> USB controller drivers, or a dynamic re-configuration depending on what
gets
> connected (a bit like the reconfiguration that happens when you connect a
> hub). Note also that it is common for the physical unit that gets plugged
> into the USB to actually appear as more than one logical device to
Windows.

At the time I was looking at it (in Device Manager), I had no USB devices
attached. But it seems like each one of those items is a bit unique, when
I look into their specific resources being used (their IRQ# and their memory
addresses). Interesting....

!