Lee

From: "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Does anyone have a removal tool for the TROJAN.DOMCOM virus for Windows98. I
| have scan with Nortons and it detects the virus but cannot remove it. Any
| help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Thank you,
| Lee

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

1) Download the Sysclean Front End utility ( SYSCLEAN_FE ) in "Procedure 1"
at the following URL, SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and
execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Direct URL:
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
When you get to the Sysclean Front End menu, hit 'e' or '3' to exit.

2) Download and install Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
3) Update Adaware with the latest definitions then exit the software.
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
5) Using the Trend Sysclean and Ad-aware SE utilities, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors found
5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both Trend
Sysclean and Ad-aware SE

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hi Lee,

I was unable to locate a removal tool for that particular trojan.

Run Norton virus scan in Safe Mode and see if it will then remove the
malware files
or
Follow the registry edit instructions here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.domcom.html
Restart after doing the edit, run Norton and see if it will then remove the
malware files.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have a removal tool for the TROJAN.DOMCOM virus for Windows98.
> have scan with Nortons and it detects the virus but cannot remove it. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Lee

I also followed all of the steps on the symantec site and had the same
problems. I was about to give up and I used SpyBot Search and Destroy,
which found a few things and got rid of them. Before I did this, I
deleted the temporary internet files. When I used Norton to scan
again, it said I had no viruses. Since I never did anything to the
registry, this seems a little too good to be true. But maybe SpyBot
works.

What do you think? If Norton isn't finding it now, does that mean that
domcom is gone for sure?

--
tjohnson2005m
tjohnson2005m's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6150