RUNDLL

Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
Security.
Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system critcal?
Thanx.
5 answers Last reply
More about rundll

    Hi Allan,

    STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install and
    run both Adaware Personal Edition:
    and Spybot Search and Destroy:

    Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
    Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
    find the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the
    '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.

    Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
    enter:

    cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
    Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files stlbdist.dll
    and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows folder,
    and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
    > This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
    > Security.
    > Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system
    critcal?
    > Thanx.

    Thanx, Patti!

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > Hi Allan,
    >
    > STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install and
    > run both Adaware Personal Edition:
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > and Spybot Search and Destroy:
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >
    > Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
    > Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
    > find the key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the
    > '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.
    >
    > Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
    > enter:
    >
    > cd "%WinDir%\System"
    > regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
    > Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files stlbdist.dll
    > and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows folder,
    > and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
    > > This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
    > > Security.
    > > Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system
    > critcal?
    > > Thanx.

    You're very welcome, Allan! :-)

    Regards,

    --

    > Thanx, Patti!
    >
    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Allan,
    > >
    > > STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install
    and
    > > run both Adaware Personal Edition:
    > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > > and Spybot Search and Destroy:
    > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    > >
    > > Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
    > > Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
    > > find the key
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete
    the
    > > '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.
    > >
    > > Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
    > > enter:
    > >
    > > cd "%WinDir%\System"
    > > regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
    > > Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files
    stlbdist.dll
    > > and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows
    folder,
    > > and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patti MacLeod
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
    > > > This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
    > > > Security.
    > > > Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system
    > > critcal?
    > > > Thanx.

    Patti, I completed the first step of deleting the entry from the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then proceeded to 2nd step.
    After opening DOS command window and entering cd "%WinDIr%\System
    regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll, I got the message: LoadLibrary ("stlbdist.dll")
    failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000485.
    Is this enough info for you to further assist me with this issue?
    Thanx

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > You're very welcome, Allan! :-)
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanx, Patti!
    > >
    > > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Allan,
    > > >
    > > > STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install
    > and
    > > > run both Adaware Personal Edition:
    > > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > > > and Spybot Search and Destroy:
    > > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    > > >
    > > > Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
    > > > Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
    > > > find the key
    > > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete
    > the
    > > > '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.
    > > >
    > > > Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
    > > > enter:
    > > >
    > > > cd "%WinDir%\System"
    > > > regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
    > > > Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files
    > stlbdist.dll
    > > > and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows
    > folder,
    > > > and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).
    > > >

    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Patti MacLeod
    > > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > >
    > > > "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > critcal?

    Hi Allan,

    I think you are receiving the LoadLibrary error due to the fact that the
    stlbdist.dll file has been deleted. To confirm that it no longer exists in
    the %Windir%\System folder, go to Start>Run and key in:
    %Windir%\System
    Then click on OK or hit ENTER
    A Windows Explorer window will open to that folder. Scroll to locate the
    stlbdist.dll file, and I'll bet that it's not there. It's non-existence is
    also the probable reason why you were receiving the initial error message
    for which you posted your question (i.e., "Error loading
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL")........the entry which you have since
    deleted in the registry was a call to load the stlbdist.dll file, and, since
    the file did not exist, it returned the "error loading" message.

    Regards,

    --

    > Patti, I completed the first step of deleting the entry from the
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then proceeded to 2nd step.
    > After opening DOS command window and entering cd "%WinDIr%\System
    > regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll, I got the message: LoadLibrary ("stlbdist.dll")
    > failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000485.
    > Is this enough info for you to further assist me with this issue?
    > Thanx
    >
    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > You're very welcome, Allan! :-)
    > >

    > > Regards,