RUNDLL

Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
Security.
Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system critcal?
Thanx.

Hi Allan,

STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install and
run both Adaware Personal Edition:
and Spybot Search and Destroy:

Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
find the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the
'{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.

Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
enter:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files stlbdist.dll
and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows folder,
and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
> This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
> Security.
> Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system
critcal?
> Thanx.

Thanx, Patti!

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Allan,
>
> STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install and
> run both Adaware Personal Edition:
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> and Spybot Search and Destroy:
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
> Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
> find the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the
> '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.
>
> Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
> enter:
>
> cd "%WinDir%\System"
> regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
> Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files stlbdist.dll
> and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows folder,
> and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
> > This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
> > Security.
> > Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system
> critcal?
> > Thanx.

You're very welcome, Allan! :)

Regards,

--

> Thanx, Patti!
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Allan,
> >
> > STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install
and
> > run both Adaware Personal Edition:
> > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> > and Spybot Search and Destroy:
> > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
> >
> > Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
> > Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
> > find the key
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete
the
> > '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.
> >
> > Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
> > enter:
> >
> > cd "%WinDir%\System"
> > regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
> > Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files
stlbdist.dll
> > and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows
folder,
> > and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Error message: Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL
> > > This appears at start-up since I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet
> > > Security.
> > > Any suggestions to correct/remove? How do I know if this is system
> > critcal?
> > > Thanx.

Patti, I completed the first step of deleting the entry from the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then proceeded to 2nd step.
After opening DOS command window and entering cd "%WinDIr%\System
regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll, I got the message: LoadLibrary ("stlbdist.dll")
failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000485.
Is this enough info for you to further assist me with this issue?
Thanx

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> You're very welcome, Allan! :)
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanx, Patti!
> >
> > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Allan,
> > >
> > > STLBDIST.DLL is a malware file belonging to BrowserAid. D/load, install
> and
> > > run both Adaware Personal Edition:
> > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> > > and Spybot Search and Destroy:
> > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
> > >
> > > Here are the removal instructions for StlbDist, provided by doxdesk:
> > > Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and
> > > find the key
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete
> the
> > > '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.
> > >
> > > Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and
> > > enter:
> > >
> > > cd "%WinDir%\System"
> > > regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
> > > Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files
> stlbdist.dll
> > > and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows
> folder,
> > > and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Patti MacLeod
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > critcal?

Hi Allan,

I think you are receiving the LoadLibrary error due to the fact that the
stlbdist.dll file has been deleted. To confirm that it no longer exists in
the %Windir%\System folder, go to Start>Run and key in:
%Windir%\System
Then click on OK or hit ENTER
A Windows Explorer window will open to that folder. Scroll to locate the
stlbdist.dll file, and I'll bet that it's not there. It's non-existence is
also the probable reason why you were receiving the initial error message
for which you posted your question (i.e., "Error loading
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STLBDIST.DLL")........the entry which you have since
deleted in the registry was a call to load the stlbdist.dll file, and, since
the file did not exist, it returned the "error loading" message.

Regards,