Double icons

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 5, 2005 9:37:32 PM

Hi
Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for the
same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon both are
deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to try
and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion

Regards
David Hanmer

More about : double icons

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:37:33 PM

What were these "number of products" you ran to try and fix the problem?
Knowing what you've ruled out can help quite a bit in figuring out the
problem.

I have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing of this issue. Is the
desktop the *only* place you see this problem? Can you give us some
basics about your system? Are you to date at Windows Updates? More
specifically, can you recall if you updated around the time this effect
appeared? Install any other software?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for
the
> same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
both are
> deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to
try
> and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion

> Regards
> David Hanmer

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:37:33 PM

Did you do something to remove shortcut arrows? Then, undo that!

Keep your arrows, unless William Tell was your great grandfather. There
are times to know what you are dealing with, shortcut or no. There is a
tweak that messes with "ISSHORTCUT" in the Registry that may cause the
mayhem you report. If you really don't like the look of things, just try
a new Theme or Scheme, and let those arrows be!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Hi
| Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for
the
| same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
both are
| deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to
try
| and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion
|
| ---------------------------------------------------------------
| Regards
| David Hanmer

April 5, 2005 11:50:22 PM

Ad-Aware
CW Shredder
Hijack This
Spybot
Xoftspy
Spywareb;aster (and guard)

all latest versions and updated

David H

> What were these "number of products" you ran to try and fix the problem?
> Knowing what you've ruled out can help quite a bit in figuring out the
> problem.
>
> I have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing of this issue. Is the
> desktop the *only* place you see this problem? Can you give us some
> basics about your system? Are you to date at Windows Updates? More
> specifically, can you recall if you updated around the time this effect
> appeared? Install any other software?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> > Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for
> the
> > same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
> both are
> > deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to
> try
> > and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion

> > Regards
> > David Hanmer

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:59:37 PM

To continue -

It will not be the latest Windows 98SE as I've just installed broadband and
got hit by viruses and spyware, most of which has been rectified. I have
not been connected to the internet on that pc again as yet.

It seems to be the only place it occurs. The right hand mouse button does
not work on the desktop, for display properties, but seems to work
everywhere else.

Regards
David H

> What were these "number of products" you ran to try and fix the problem?
> Knowing what you've ruled out can help quite a bit in figuring out the
> problem.
>
> I have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing of this issue. Is the
> desktop the *only* place you see this problem? Can you give us some
> basics about your system? Are you to date at Windows Updates? More
> specifically, can you recall if you updated around the time this effect
> appeared? Install any other software?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> > Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for
> the
> > same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
> both are
> > deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to
> try
> > and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion

> > Regards
> > David Hanmer

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:59:38 PM

I see you have HijackThis. Have you posted a log to one or more of the
appropriate newsgroups?

Also, use Find to locate all folders named "Desktop". They may exist in
C:\Windows, C:\Windows\All Users, C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\

Of particular interest is whether the same items exist in the \All
Users\Desktop folder as in your personal one.

--

news:o VIheGhOFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> To continue -
>
> It will not be the latest Windows 98SE as I've just installed
broadband and
> got hit by viruses and spyware, most of which has been rectified. I
have
> not been connected to the internet on that pc again as yet.
>
> It seems to be the only place it occurs. The right hand mouse button
does
> not work on the desktop, for display properties, but seems to work
> everywhere else.
>

> Regards
> David H

> > What were these "number of products" you ran to try and fix the
problem?
> > Knowing what you've ruled out can help quite a bit in figuring out
the
> > problem.
> >
> > I have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing of this issue. Is the
> > desktop the *only* place you see this problem? Can you give us some
> > basics about your system? Are you to date at Windows Updates? More
> > specifically, can you recall if you updated around the time this
effect
> > appeared? Install any other software?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi
> > > Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons
for
> > the
> > > same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
> > both are
> > > deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of
products to
> > try
> > > and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion

> > > Regards
> > > David Hanmer

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:15:46 AM

No I haven't posted a hijack log - if you recommend this where?

Desktop folders are in C:\ C:\windows C:\Windows\All Users - this is
identical to the default user.

Looking at the desktop folder in explorer there are many more entries than
are displayed on the desktop!

David H

> I see you have HijackThis. Have you posted a log to one or more of the
> appropriate newsgroups?
>
> Also, use Find to locate all folders named "Desktop". They may exist in
> C:\Windows, C:\Windows\All Users, C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\
>
> Of particular interest is whether the same items exist in the \All
> Users\Desktop folder as in your personal one.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o VIheGhOFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > To continue -
> >
> > It will not be the latest Windows 98SE as I've just installed
> broadband and
> > got hit by viruses and spyware, most of which has been rectified. I
> have
> > not been connected to the internet on that pc again as yet.
> >
> > It seems to be the only place it occurs. The right hand mouse button
> does
> > not work on the desktop, for display properties, but seems to work
> > everywhere else.
> >

> > Regards
> > David H
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > What were these "number of products" you ran to try and fix the
> problem?
> > > Knowing what you've ruled out can help quite a bit in figuring out
> the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing of this issue. Is the
> > > desktop the *only* place you see this problem? Can you give us some
> > > basics about your system? Are you to date at Windows Updates? More
> > > specifically, can you recall if you updated around the time this
> effect
> > > appeared? Install any other software?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> for
> > > the
> > > both are
> products to
> > > try

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:15:47 AM

Post HijackThis logs to:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ and/or http://forum.aumha.org/

The Desktop you see is a combination of Namespace Items (My Documents,
My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Recycle Bin, etc.), plus files found
in your personal user profile's Desktop folder, *plus* the files found
in \All Users\Desktop. What I've seen reports of, for varying reasons
(but perhaps not the cases involving spyware), involve a foul-up that
puts copies of the same shortcuts in both All Users\Desktop and in your
personal Desktop folder.

Questions and tests:

Are My Computer, etc., *also* duplicated?

Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop, choose New, then Text
Document, name the document TEST.TXT, and does it get duplicated?

Pick a shortcut on your Desktop, then use Find to locate all copies.
Don't forget to add the .LNK extension to the name. Where are copies
found (full paths, please.)

--

> No I haven't posted a hijack log - if you recommend this where?
>
> Desktop folders are in C:\ C:\windows C:\Windows\All Users - this is
> identical to the default user.
>
> Looking at the desktop folder in explorer there are many more entries
than
> are displayed on the desktop!
>

> David H

> > I see you have HijackThis. Have you posted a log to one or more of
the
> > appropriate newsgroups?
> >
> > Also, use Find to locate all folders named "Desktop". They may exist
in
> > C:\Windows, C:\Windows\All Users, C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\
> >
> > Of particular interest is whether the same items exist in the \All
> > Users\Desktop folder as in your personal one.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o VIheGhOFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > To continue -
> > >
> > > It will not be the latest Windows 98SE as I've just installed
> > broadband and
> > > got hit by viruses and spyware, most of which has been rectified.
> > have
> > > not been connected to the internet on that pc again as yet.
> > >
> > > It seems to be the only place it occurs. The right hand mouse
button
> > does
> > > not work on the desktop, for display properties, but seems to work
> > > everywhere else.
> > >

> > > Regards
> > > David H
> > >

> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > problem?
> > the

More
> > effect

> > for
> > products to

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:19:46 AM

Sorry to disappoint - all the arrows are intact

David H

> Did you do something to remove shortcut arrows? Then, undo that!
>
> Keep your arrows, unless William Tell was your great grandfather. There
> are times to know what you are dealing with, shortcut or no. There is a
> tweak that messes with "ISSHORTCUT" in the Registry that may cause the
> mayhem you report. If you really don't like the look of things, just try
> a new Theme or Scheme, and let those arrows be!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | Hi
> | Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for
> the
> | same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
> both are
> | deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to
> try
> | and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion
> |
> | ---------------------------------------------------------------
> | Regards
> | David Hanmer

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:19:47 AM

They might be, because the ISSHORTCUT "fix" doesn't work anymore. But
you may get duplicate icons on the Desktop by messing with it. Well, did
you do anything in the Registry recently, maybe with TweakUI? Did you
install something recently?

Anyway, here are all 7 of my Registry keys that contain "IsShortcut" &
it's Value. If it looks different for you in any of these locations, I
will post the entire key for further comparison.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConferenceLink
IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DocShortcut
IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut
IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MicrosoftChatRoomShortcut
IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile
IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WSHFile
IsShortcut "Yes" <<String value: Yes

--
| Sorry to disappoint - all the arrows are intact
|

| David H

| > Did you do something to remove shortcut arrows? Then, undo that!
| >
| > Keep your arrows, unless William Tell was your great grandfather.
There
| > are times to know what you are dealing with, shortcut or no. There
is a
| > tweak that messes with "ISSHORTCUT" in the Registry that may cause
the
| > mayhem you report. If you really don't like the look of things, just
try
| > a new Theme or Scheme, and let those arrows be!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
| > news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > | Hi
| > | Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons
for
| > the
| > | same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon
| > both are
| > | deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of
products to
| > try
| > | and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion
| > |
| > | ---------------------------------------------------------------
| > | Regards
| > | David Hanmer
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:28:38 AM

My Computer etc. are not duplicated

Right clicking on the desktop does not work, not on he icons or the empty
space. It does work on the task bar along the bottom.

Some examples of the occurrence of links:
Spywareguard
C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareguard
C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
Spywareblaster
C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareblaster
C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
X0ftspy
C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\X0ftspy
C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
c:\windows\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\Quick launch

David H

> Post HijackThis logs to:
> http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ and/or http://forum.aumha.org/
>
> The Desktop you see is a combination of Namespace Items (My Documents,
> My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Recycle Bin, etc.), plus files found
> in your personal user profile's Desktop folder, *plus* the files found
> in \All Users\Desktop. What I've seen reports of, for varying reasons
> (but perhaps not the cases involving spyware), involve a foul-up that
> puts copies of the same shortcuts in both All Users\Desktop and in your
> personal Desktop folder.
>
> Questions and tests:
>
> Are My Computer, etc., *also* duplicated?
>
> Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop, choose New, then Text
> Document, name the document TEST.TXT, and does it get duplicated?
>
> Pick a shortcut on your Desktop, then use Find to locate all copies.
> Don't forget to add the .LNK extension to the name. Where are copies
> found (full paths, please.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > No I haven't posted a hijack log - if you recommend this where?
> >
> > Desktop folders are in C:\ C:\windows C:\Windows\All Users - this is
> > identical to the default user.
> >
> > Looking at the desktop folder in explorer there are many more entries
> than
> > are displayed on the desktop!
> >

> > David H
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > I see you have HijackThis. Have you posted a log to one or more of
> the
> > > appropriate newsgroups?
> > >
> > > Also, use Find to locate all folders named "Desktop". They may exist
> in
> > > C:\Windows, C:\Windows\All Users, C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\
> > >
> > > Of particular interest is whether the same items exist in the \All
> > > Users\Desktop folder as in your personal one.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:o VIheGhOFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> > > broadband and
> > > have

> button
> > > does

> > > problem?
> out
> > > the

> the
> some
> More
> > > effect

> icons
> > > for
> icon
> > > products to

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:28:39 AM

OK, well I don't see where you actually have items duplicated in both
C:\Windows\Desktop and C:\Windows\All Users\Desktop (for example), and
the fact that you can't right-click the Desktop is a hint that something
is definitely haywire.

Question: Why did you rename C:\Windows\Desktop to
C:\Windows\desktopmhs? And do you have multiple User Profiles?

Note that the copies of shortcuts in C:\Windows\Start\Programs\... are
meaningless and not part of this issue.

--

> My Computer etc. are not duplicated
>
> Right clicking on the desktop does not work, not on he icons or the
empty
> space. It does work on the task bar along the bottom.
>

> Some examples of the occurrence of links:
> Spywareguard
> C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareguard
> C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
> Spywareblaster
> C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareblaster
> C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
> X0ftspy
> C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\X0ftspy
> C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
> c:\windows\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\Quick launch
>
> David H

> > Post HijackThis logs to:
> > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ and/or http://forum.aumha.org/
> >
> > The Desktop you see is a combination of Namespace Items (My
Documents,
> > My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Recycle Bin, etc.), plus files
found
> > in your personal user profile's Desktop folder, *plus* the files
found
> > in \All Users\Desktop. What I've seen reports of, for varying
reasons
> > (but perhaps not the cases involving spyware), involve a foul-up
that
> > puts copies of the same shortcuts in both All Users\Desktop and in
your
> > personal Desktop folder.
> >
> > Questions and tests:
> >
> > Are My Computer, etc., *also* duplicated?
> >
> > Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop, choose New, then Text
> > Document, name the document TEST.TXT, and does it get duplicated?
> >
> > Pick a shortcut on your Desktop, then use Find to locate all copies.
> > Don't forget to add the .LNK extension to the name. Where are copies
> > found (full paths, please.)
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > No I haven't posted a hijack log - if you recommend this where?
> > >
> > > Desktop folders are in C:\ C:\windows C:\Windows\All Users - this
is
> > > identical to the default user.
> > >
> > > Looking at the desktop folder in explorer there are many more
entries
> > than
> > > are displayed on the desktop!
> > >

> > > David H
> > >

> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > the

> > in
C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\

> > button

> > out

Is
> > the
> > some
Updates?
> > More

> > icons
> > icon

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:09:17 AM

Try this...

(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(b) CD C:\Windows\Desktop
(c) DIR /a /on /p

Use the "MARK" button, outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
some of the duplicates.

--
> [...]
| >
| > Are My Computer, etc., *also* duplicated?
| >
| > Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop, choose New, then Text
| > Document, name the document TEST.TXT, and does it get duplicated?
| >
| > Pick a shortcut on your Desktop, then use Find to locate all copies.
| > Don't forget to add the .LNK extension to the name. Where are copies
| > found (full paths, please.)
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
| > > No I haven't posted a hijack log - if you recommend this where?
| > >
| > > Desktop folders are in C:\ C:\windows C:\Windows\All Users - this
is
| > > identical to the default user.
| > >
| > > Looking at the desktop folder in explorer there are many more

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:27:38 PM

I have edited the registry sparingly to get rid (I hope) of all the
SmartSecurity entries.

All the registry keys you listed are the same as yours , but I do have a lot
more entries for IsShortcut under H_C_R\Access Shortcut Diagram,
H_C_R\Access Shortcut Form 1 etc. etc.

David H

> They might be, because the ISSHORTCUT "fix" doesn't work anymore. But
> you may get duplicate icons on the Desktop by messing with it. Well, did
> you do anything in the Registry recently, maybe with TweakUI? Did you
> install something recently?
>
> Anyway, here are all 7 of my Registry keys that contain "IsShortcut" &
> it's Value. If it looks different for you in any of these locations, I
> will post the entire key for further comparison.
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConferenceLink
> IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DocShortcut
> IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut
> IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
> IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MicrosoftChatRoomShortcut
> IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile
> IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WSHFile
> IsShortcut "Yes" <<String value: Yes
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> | Sorry to disappoint - all the arrows are intact
> |

> | David H
> |

> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Did you do something to remove shortcut arrows? Then, undo that!
> | >
> | > Keep your arrows, unless William Tell was your great grandfather.
> There
> | > are times to know what you are dealing with, shortcut or no. There
> is a
> | > tweak that messes with "ISSHORTCUT" in the Registry that may cause
> the
> | > mayhem you report. If you really don't like the look of things, just
> try
> | > a new Theme or Scheme, and let those arrows be!
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> | > news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> for
> | > the
> | > both are
> products to
> | > try
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:32:57 PM

None of the duplicates are in C:\windows\desktop. There are 25 entries in
the folder but none of them appear on the desktop

David H

> [...]
> found
> | > in your personal user profile's Desktop folder, *plus* the files
> found
> | > in \All Users\Desktop. What I've seen reports of, for varying
> reasons
> | > (but perhaps not the cases involving spyware), involve a foul-up
> that
> | > puts copies of the same shortcuts in both All Users\Desktop and in
> your
> | > personal Desktop folder.
> | >
> | > Questions and tests:
> | >
> | > Are My Computer, etc., *also* duplicated?
> | >
> | > Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop, choose New, then Text
> | > Document, name the document TEST.TXT, and does it get duplicated?
> | >
> | > Pick a shortcut on your Desktop, then use Find to locate all copies.
> | > Don't forget to add the .LNK extension to the name. Where are copies

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:32:58 PM

I got that. The problem doesn't involve real duplicates in various
Desktop folders.

Please answer the questions I asked you in my previous post, yesterday.

> None of the duplicates are in C:\windows\desktop. There are 25
entries in
> the folder but none of them appear on the desktop
>
> David H
>
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > Try this...
> >
> > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
> > (b) CD C:\Windows\Desktop
> > (c) DIR /a /on /p
> >
> > Use the "MARK" button, outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to
post
> > some of the duplicates.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
> > | My Computer etc. are not duplicated
> > |
> > | Right clicking on the desktop does not work, not on he icons or
the
> > empty
> > | space. It does work on the task bar along the bottom.
> > |

> > | Some examples of the occurrence of links:
> > | Spywareguard
> > | C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareguard
> > | C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
> > | Spywareblaster
> > | C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareblaster
> > | C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
> > | X0ftspy
> > | C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\X0ftspy
> > | C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
> > | c:\windows\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\Quick
launch

> > | David H
> > |

> > | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > Documents,
> > found
> > found
> > reasons
> > that
> > your

> > is

> > entries

> > of

> > exist
> > C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\

> > \All

> > rectified.

> > work

> > the
> > figuring

> > Is
> > us
> > Updates?
> > this

> > one

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:26:19 PM

The following keys all have a reference to the renamed folder c:\desktopmhs.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc
Find Spec MRU
This key has entries for:

Default (value not set)
a NULL
b to i
j "desktopmhs"

each of these 8 entries (b to i) has the name of link for each icon on the
desktop e.g. "Ad-Aware SE Personal.lnk"
The last entry is
MRUList "hcgefabijd"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\User
Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc
Find Spec MRU
same as the first key

I have modified all the keys except the first and the last from c:\
desktopmhs to c:\windows\desktop and it seems to work. I tried to delete
the Doc Find Spec MRU keys but reported an error when trying to delete the
second one. I then restored the registry and did the modifications again.

The only thing now is the right-hand mouse click still does not work.

This may be irrelevant but the first registry key under the first two keys
are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\÷

Thanks for all your help
David H

C:\windows\Desktop

"David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o R%23eF3fOFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> Every icon I place on the desktop doubles up and I get two icons for the
> same thing with identical names - no '(2)' When I delete one icon both
are
> deleted. This could be spyware and I have run a number of products to try
> and solve the problem. Can anyone make a suggestion

> Regards
> David Hanmer

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:20:17 PM

I'll leave this portion of the this thread to Terhune, then. Better
answer his questions before he falls into another earthquake! Do so,
even though you appear to have solved the "duplicates" problem by
Registry adjustments.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
| None of the duplicates are in C:\windows\desktop. There are 25
entries in
| the folder but none of them appear on the desktop
|
| David H

| > Try this...
| >
| > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
| > (b) CD C:\Windows\Desktop
| > (c) DIR /a /on /p
| >
| > Use the "MARK" button, outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to
post
| > some of the duplicates.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | My Computer etc. are not duplicated
| > |
| > | Right clicking on the desktop does not work, not on he icons or
the
| > empty
| > | space. It does work on the task bar along the bottom.
| > |
| > |
| > | Some examples of the occurrence of links:
| > | Spywareguard
| > | C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareguard
| > | C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
| > | Spywareblaster
| > | C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\Spywareblaster
| > | C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
| > | X0ftspy
| > | C;\windows\Start Menu\Programs\X0ftspy
| > | C;\desktopmhs (formerly c:\desktop)
| > | c:\windows\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\Quick
launch
| > |
| > | David H
| > |
| > |
| > | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

| > Documents,
| > found
| > found
| > reasons
| > that
| > your

| > is

| > entries

| > of

| > exist
| > C:\Windows\Profiles\{username}\

| > \All

| > rectified.

| > work

| > the
| > figuring

| > Is
| > us
| > Updates?
| > this

| > one

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:36:08 PM

I doubt it is an "IsShortcut" problem, then. I have no mention of
"Access Shortcut Diagram" in my Registry, BUT I suppose that is some
added software of yours, probably/hopefully harmless. Do you know what
it is? I SUPPOSE this problem didn't begin right after it's
installation.

Really, I think the problem likely arises of renaming
"C:\Windows\Desktop" to "C:\Windows\Desktopmhs", IF that's what you did.
(I know when I accidentally renamed mine once, it was exceedingly
unpleasant. But, instead of duplicates, I was BLANK.)

Stick with Terhune, really, but I'll look through the Registry
adjustments you have already done elsewhere in this thread. If it's a
"Profiles" issue, I want nothing to do with it!

--
| I have edited the registry sparingly to get rid (I hope) of all the
| SmartSecurity entries.
|
| All the registry keys you listed are the same as yours , but I do have
a lot
| more entries for IsShortcut under H_C_R\Access Shortcut Diagram,
| H_C_R\Access Shortcut Form 1 etc. etc.
|
| David H

| > They might be, because the ISSHORTCUT "fix" doesn't work anymore.
But
| > you may get duplicate icons on the Desktop by messing with it. Well,
did
| > you do anything in the Registry recently, maybe with TweakUI? Did
you
| > install something recently?
| >
| > Anyway, here are all 7 of my Registry keys that contain "IsShortcut"
&
| > it's Value. If it looks different for you in any of these locations,
| > will post the entire key for further comparison.
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConferenceLink
| > IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DocShortcut
| > IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut
| > IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
| > IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MicrosoftChatRoomShortcut
| > IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile
| > IsShortcut "" <<String value NULL
| >
| > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WSHFile
| > IsShortcut "Yes" <<String value: Yes
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "David H" <daviidh@mh-s.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | Sorry to disappoint - all the arrows are intact
| > |
| > |
| > | David H
| > |
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

| > There
There
| > is a
| > the
| > try

| > for
| > products to
| > | >
| ---------------------------------------------------------------
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:09:58 PM

Don't worry about MRU (Most Recently Used) Registry keys. Those will
self-adjust in time, & are just a history of what you have entered in
certain input boxes. For instance, the MRU you mention below is visible
at...
"START button, Find, F/F" by clicking the D-Arrow there.

| This may be irrelevant but the first registry key under the first two
keys
| are:
|
| HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
| HKEY_CURRENT_USER\÷

I'm not sure which Keys you are talking about.

(a) "START, Run, RegEdit".
(b) Get to the Key(s) you speak of.
(c) "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & any sub-keys in the left pane
(supposing there was a plus sign on the one highlighted). Give it a name
& location of your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Then,
if something goes wrong with the following, you will be able to simply
click that file, to Merge it's contents back into the Registry.

(d) Insert or Copy/Paste that file into a post.

Here is what one looks like in an Export.
NOTE: (default) would show up as "@".
Single back-slashes are double in an Export.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Sh
ell Folders]
"Desktop"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Desktop"
"Templates"="C:\\WINDOWS\\ShellNew"
"AppData"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Application Data"
"Start Menu"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Start Menu"
"Programs"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Start Menu\\Programs"
"Startup"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Start Menu\\Programs\\StartUp"
"Fonts"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Fonts"
"SendTo"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SendTo"
"Recent"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Recent"
"Favorites"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Favorites"
"Cache"="G:\\Temporary Internet Files"
"Cookies"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Cookies"
"History"="C:\\WINDOWS\\History"
"NetHood"="C:\\WINDOWS\\NetHood"
"Personal"="E:\\My Documents"
"PrintHood"="C:\\WINDOWS\\PrintHood"
"Local AppData"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Local Settings\\Application Data"
"My Pictures"="E:\\My Documents\\My Pictures"

By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the Registry.
To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder Options, File
Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries", click the "Edit"
button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set Default" button.
Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in Notepad for
examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it & select "Merge".

--

!