BAT FILE

Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a workgroup
network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
that deletes temp files, directories etc.

I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.

But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
directory does not exist. The 95 machines can definately read off the srever
as i othe folders on the desktop that connect to the server.

Where do i make a shortcut on the 95 machines to make that BAT file run on
startup?

regards
4 answers Last reply
More about file

    The directory you should be using is "C:/WINDOWS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\START
    UP.

    From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>

    | The directory you should be using is "C:/WINDOWS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\START
    | UP.
    |
    | "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Actually, that's...

    "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"

    or better yet...

    "%windir%\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:55:02 -0700, "Pinto1uk"
    <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a workgroup
    >network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
    >that deletes temp files, directories etc.
    >
    >I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
    >("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.
    >
    >But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
    >directory does not exist. The 95 machines can definately read off the srever
    >as i othe folders on the desktop that connect to the server.
    >
    >Where do i make a shortcut on the 95 machines to make that BAT file run on
    >startup?
    >
    >regards

    I forget but does the 95 machine have a
    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder?

    May work even if it's networked.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:18:53 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote:
    >On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:55:02 -0700, "Pinto1uk"

    >>Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a workgroup
    >>network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
    >>that deletes temp files, directories etc.

    OK. Likely to kill installs in progress, if you clear Temp on
    startup, so don't do that!

    >>I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
    >>("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.

    ASSumes Windows is installed in C:\WINDOWS - if so then OK.

    >>But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
    >>directory does not exist.

    True. You can assume "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" but
    that will fail if user profiles set to use per-user Start Menus.

    See http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/startup.htm for other startup axis
    opportunities, e.g. WinStart.bat, Autoexec.bat, Win.ini Run=etc.

    BTW: Don't full-share any part of the startup axis (e.g.C:\ ) else
    malware can play the same game.

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

Computers Windows