BAT FILE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 6, 2005 7:55:02 AM

Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a workgroup
network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
that deletes temp files, directories etc.

I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.

But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
directory does not exist. The 95 machines can definately read off the srever
as i othe folders on the desktop that connect to the server.

Where do i make a shortcut on the 95 machines to make that BAT file run on
startup?

regards

More about : bat file

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:51:36 AM

The directory you should be using is "C:/WINDOWS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\START
UP.

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a
> workgroup
> network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
> that deletes temp files, directories etc.
>
> I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
> ("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.
>
> But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
> directory does not exist. The 95 machines can definately read off the
> srever
> as i othe folders on the desktop that connect to the server.
>
> Where do i make a shortcut on the 95 machines to make that BAT file run on
> startup?
>
> regards

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:51:37 AM

From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>

| The directory you should be using is "C:/WINDOWS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\START
| UP.
|
| "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Actually, that's...

"C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"

or better yet...

"%windir%\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:55:02 -0700, "Pinto1uk"
<Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a workgroup
>network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
>that deletes temp files, directories etc.
>
>I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
>("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.
>
>But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
>directory does not exist. The 95 machines can definately read off the srever
>as i othe folders on the desktop that connect to the server.
>
>Where do i make a shortcut on the 95 machines to make that BAT file run on
>startup?
>
>regards

I forget but does the 95 machine have a
C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder?

May work even if it's networked.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 7:04:28 PM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:18:53 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:55:02 -0700, "Pinto1uk"

>>Hi, i have a few computers (win 98 and 95) that are networked in a workgroup
>>network. When the computers start up, they read a bat file from the server
>>that deletes temp files, directories etc.

OK. Likely to kill installs in progress, if you clear Temp on
startup, so don't do that!

>>I managed to get the 98 computers reading the BAT file at stratup via the
>>("C:/WINDOWS\ALL USERS\PROGRAMS\START MENU\START UP") directory.

ASSumes Windows is installed in C:\WINDOWS - if so then OK.

>>But i cannot get the 95 machines to read the bat file, as this particular
>>directory does not exist.

True. You can assume "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" but
that will fail if user profiles set to use per-user Start Menus.

See http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/startup.htm for other startup axis
opportunities, e.g. WinStart.bat, Autoexec.bat, Win.ini Run=etc.

BTW: Don't full-share any part of the startup axis (e.g.C:\ ) else
malware can play the same game.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
!