Which case and PSU for system with 9x3.5" HD?

draregerreip

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi
1. Case
I want to build a new system in which I am going to need to install 1x3.5" boot drive (Raptor probably) and a RAID system with 8x3.5" hard drives. Most of the cases I have looked at don't accept that many disks. Which case would you recommend? (not too noisy would be nice as well :D )
Except for Lian Li do you know of any manufacturer of internal racks that allow you to put 3 3.5" HD using 2 of the 5.25" bays? (or 4 3.5" HD in 3 5.25" bays as a matter of fact?).

2. PSU
I am going to put in 9 disk, one Highpoint raid controller and probably one GEforce 6600GT video card. Where can I find the power consumption for those kind of elementsin ordrer to determine which kind of PSU to buy? I remember having read articles explaining how to do the calculations but can't seem to find them now that I need them. :roll:
EDIT : oops ... forget about the power consumption question .. it was just at the top ofthe page :oops: :oops:

Thanks in advance for your help.
draregerreip

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS $173 shipped w/ $30 MIR
CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK $180.50 shipped

These have a good amount of room between the HDDs so they don't overheat.

I am cheap so I got an ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK/500 $101 shipped
which does what you need, but I had to mod it with a fan on each hdd cage since the hdds heat up pretty good. Kinda loud too... the ones above cool better with less fans.

oh and here's the psu calc link..
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

draregerreip

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Thanks for the info. The coolermaster stacker seems to look loike a good choice if I can find the supplemental HD cages.

However I am a bit stumped by the PSU calculations .. I used the the psu calc link..
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

and I find some outlandish results .... 642 W that seems awfully high ...
--------------------------------------------------------
System Type: Single Processor
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2000 MHz 1.40v
CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP

RAM: 4 Sticks DDR SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Video Type: Single Card
SATA HDD: 9 HDDs
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
PCI IDE RAID Controller Card: Yes
USB: 6 Devices
IEEE-1394 FireWire: 1 Device
Fan Controller: Yes
Front Bay Card Reader: Yes
Front Bay LCD Display: Yes
Fans Regular: 2 Fans 80mm; 2 Fans 120mm;

Motherboard, keyboard and mouse: Yes
PSU Utilization: 100% (peak utilization)
Surge Compensation (+ W %): 25%
Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 20%

Total: 642 Watts
------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think I have put something wrong ? Do I really need yje Surge compensation ? and the capacitor aging thing ? Is there even some such PSU which does not make as much noise as a bloody car ?

Thanks for your answers.

draregerreip