Washington Post: Intel's Viiv doesn't live up to the hype

mpjesse

Splendid
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/22/AR2006042200112.html?sub=AR

Excerpt:

Intel says that Viiv ( http://www.intel.com/viiv ) is still developing, that an update in the second half of this year will bring more features, and that the best Viiv devices are yet to come. But considering all the hype Intel ginned up around Viiv -- and the news coverage devoted to it --this ranks as a phenomenally ho-hum product.

It's hard even to define Viiv. This brand amounts to a recipe Intel has prepared for computer manufacturers to follow on their own, which means that Intel's idea of Viiv may not coincide with what appears in stores.

But in the meantime, Intel is only embarrassing itself with its half-witted hucksterism for Viiv.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
What's the issue? The point is to simplify the technology involved while selling Intel components, which Viiv promises to do. So long as the final spec includes a TV tuner of some kind you're guaranteed at least basic home-theatre PC functionality, which is kinda the point. That's why I love Intel: they can unilaterally start campaigns like Centrino or Viiv that then trickle down into the industry as a whole. You don't see AMD doing anything like this, at least not yet.

endyen

Splendid
That's why I love Intel: they can unilaterally start campaigns like Centrino or Viiv that then trickle down into the industry as a whole. You don't see AMD doing anything like this, at least not yet
Ye gotta love Intel jamming thier overpriced nics down your face. Or not.

AMD 'Live': well, it's to prevent Intel saying 'we do Viiv which is unprecendented and that no one else can do - not even AMD, so this technology is great and AMD suck.'

Instead you have Intel saying 'we have Viiv' and AMD saying 'so what? We offer Live, which is the same, and we had no trouble implementing it anyway...' inferring that Viiv is worth nothing.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't really know what ViiV is and I don't really know what Live is either. The only things I've actually heard about ViiV is that it has a bogus 'instant startup' feature and that it has something to do with TVs. Live is a total mystery to me.

My point is, if they really want to sell it, they should be ramming what it does down my throat, not rely on me being bothered to research it (which I'm not).

Nice to finally see a thread about a story that's not in the Inq!

Exterous

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
There was hype?

Maybe not much in the media, but they did make the Intel reps visit retail stores and make us sit through a boring/worthless presentation that essentially told us the Viiv would be almost exactly like the other HP media centers we had in the store just with a cute little extra sticker on the front. Maybe they were expecting the salesmen at stores to do more of their promoting (although most of the PC salesmen I know can't see any real benifit to Viiv). I thought it was hilarious that the Washington post mentioned the easy on/off feature - a guy at our location asked the Rep the same question (How is that different than turning off the monitor?). The rep really didn't have an answer. At least the AMD reps bring us lunch.

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Wait wait wait please Intel is giving away a Viiv sticker nough said 8)

The Viiv sticker improves CPU speed by .000000000000000000002hz

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
That would be ideal, look what they did for USB, after all. It'll have to be a new product line, though; the current Mac Mini's are too cramped and pricey to be any use. Not to mention completely non-upgradeable...why didn't Apple make room for a TV tuner, for God's sake? It'd be the perfect HTPC except for a few component tweaks, but we can't get inside to make them!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Apple already has FrontRow, I don't think they really need Viiv. However, Steve Jobs did deny that the Mac Mini was going to be given HTPC capabilities, so he could either be trying to 'throw people off the scent' and then surprise everyone that the new Mini has Viiv, but at the same time they may be developing a totally different product for HT use.

It makes sense for Apple to enter the HTPC market, though. It's an emerging/growing market, and like Jack just said, Apple is a master of designing cool, stylish, consumer savvy products that people just like. I am of the opinion that a lot of people look at an Apple and a PC and think 'The PC is fine at work, but I want something that looks great at home'. If they can (and I'm sure they can) create a great-looking HTPC product, it would really ignite the market.

--- BZZZT --- Internal error 8x0654328FADE654

Windows has detected that you insulted Our Great Hive Overmind's wife.

Update EGO32.dll and restart your computer. Have your credit card at the ready.

Note: I'm using Linux