stsai

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I purchased a new case for my computer, choosing a SilverStone, the SST-TJ06. Once I installed it, I'm now getting warnings of my ASUS PC Probe saying that the front and rear 120mm fans are too slow (clocking in around 550rpm or so). According to other reviews, these fans are supposed to be rated at 2200rpm. The temperature inside ranges around 140-150F CPU, with 104-109F motherboard temps, and the PC is otherwise working fine. I have confirmed that both the temperature and fan speed readings from PC Probe match up closely with the readings on the setup BIOS. Any idea what could be wrong?

Current setup:
ASUS P4P800 motherboard
Pentium 4 3GHz
1 Gig Kingston 3200 DDR Ram
Antec 480W PSU
1 160GB HD, 1 120GB HD (both Seagate HDs)
1 DVD-ROM drive, 1 CD-RW drive, 1 floppy
ATI x800 graphics card

The fans currently plug into the power cords marked "fan only" on the power supply. Most of the rest of the power supply cords are taken up by other peripherials.

pkquat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
First off, make sure your case fans are turning. Some Antec PSU's with thermal case fan control don't supply enough voltage at startup (5V) to get most 120mm fans started. Most 120mm fans require around 6-7V to start. Once they are started they will run at 5V, the minumum supplied by the fan only output. If they are running 5V is probably close to 500 rpm.

The fan only connectors are most likely thermally controled by the PSU. The case fans should increase in speed as the case temperature rises. If you want you can connect the case fans directly to a 12V supply and they will spin at 2200rpm. The case will be noisier this way.

If the PSU fan control and the fans are working properly you could lower the alarm rpm if possible.

stsai

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Thank you for the reply. The fans are definitely spinning; I've opened the case and physically confirmed this myself. I have seen that the fan speed go up to about 625 at the high end when letting the box run all day (8 hours or so), but not any higher than that. CPU and MB temps remain about the same (150F, 109F respectively). My complaint at this point is that ASUS PC probe won't shut up; the PC (and graphics-heavy apps like games) seems to be running fine.

Edit: ASUS PC Probe won't allow the alarm threshold for fans below 600rpm. One solution of course would be to shut it off, but I'm leery about totally ignoring it for the long-term.

stsai

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Following up:

I e-mailed with Silverstone's tech support. They say that the fans are supposed to be slow if the case is cool, and will speed up if it gets hot. Is this sound right or not so? The fans connect to the PSU 4-pin molux cables marked "Fan only" (only 2 wires I think) along with the small 3-pin sensor wires to the motherboard (ASUS P4S800 D-X). Is there anything in that setup that will actually control fans based on temperature or do I need to go buy an external fan/temp controller? For that matter, does a 480W Antec PSU have enough juice to run 3 fans (2 120mm, 1 80mm that doesn't have a sensor).

Currently, the 2 120mm fans run at ~430rpm each, with the CPU fan going at ~3350rpm. CPU temp holds steady ~148F, with the motherboard temp holding steady ~109F. Is this cool enough (ie, what's considered a good temp to run at)? I have not noticed any failures or crashes, but I want to try and head off any future problems..

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Following up:

I e-mailed with Silverstone's tech support. They say that the fans are supposed to be slow if the case is cool, and will speed up if it gets hot. Is this sound right or not so? The fans connect to the PSU 4-pin molux cables marked "Fan only" (only 2 wires I think) along with the small 3-pin sensor wires to the motherboard (ASUS P4S800 D-X). Is there anything in that setup that will actually control fans based on temperature or do I need to go buy an external fan/temp controller? For that matter, does a 480W Antec PSU have enough juice to run 3 fans (2 120mm, 1 80mm that doesn't have a sensor).

Currently, the 2 120mm fans run at ~430rpm each, with the CPU fan going at ~3350rpm. CPU temp holds steady ~148F, with the motherboard temp holding steady ~109F. Is this cool enough (ie, what's considered a good temp to run at)? I have not noticed any failures or crashes, but I want to try and head off any future problems..

i would just disable it, from experiance ive never had a fan register at the right speed, for example asus probe says that both my 120mm fan at the front and the 80mm at the back are spinning at 0rpm.... trust me they are spinning faster than that, my asus probe did a similiar thing as yours, it registered the fans at 500rpm or so for about 3 weeks before saying that they were running at 0rpm. you can turn off the warnings, since it seems that asus probe reports the correct temps, and strangly still registers my CPU fan at around the 2500RPM mark(go figure lol)