Sign in with
Your question

Dual-Core AMD Opteron VS. Dual-Core X2????

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2006 5:11:09 PM

I just wanted to know what processer would be a better. I have never really found a comprairson between the two types.

I was looking at the 4800+ X2 and the Opteron 180.
They both seem to be about the same and around the same price.
The system would be using windows of course, word, internet, a little video editing using Studio 9, and Autocad 2007. No real games would be used on this system. The Autocad would be mostly 2D stuff, and very little 3D. I'm looking in to the NVIDIA Quadro FX cards for the video. It would be PCI x16 and running dual mon.

Thanks for your help

Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
Name Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Operating Frequency 2.4GHz
HT 2000MHz
L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache 2 x 1MB
Process Type 90 nm
Hyper-Transport Support Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Voltage 1.35-1.4V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan

AMD Opteron 180 Denmark
1000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB
Multi-Core: Dual-Core
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Opteron
Voltage: 1.3 V/1.35 V
April 24, 2006 5:39:22 PM

hmm, for me it'd be a tough call. the opteron would run a bit cooler and use less power, as opposed to the x2. but for $632 retail on the x2, youre saving $70 over the retail opteron. now, i also saw that you can have the opteron for $630 -- oem, so again... tough call. i guess its more a matter of preference now.
April 24, 2006 5:44:21 PM

Duel core is the future. The chips comming out this year will be what, quad core?

Even if you don't game, you are doing autocad and video editing, having that second proc will be nice...
Related resources
April 24, 2006 5:44:51 PM

No point going for an Opteron unless you are going to overclock.
April 24, 2006 6:30:03 PM

And no point in shelling out for a Quadro unless you're going to be doing heavy 3D CAD either. My FX5900 runs 2D and light 3D AutoCAD just fine, so any 6xxx or 7xxx series card will do the same.
April 24, 2006 6:52:08 PM

If they're about the same price, go for the Opteron; lower voltages and better for overclocking, even if you don't plan on doing it.
April 24, 2006 7:08:24 PM

Wont the opteron require registered memory and a more expensive motherboard and offer no performance gains?
April 24, 2006 7:10:46 PM

Socket 940 Opterons do require Registered DDR, Socket 939 Opterons use standard DDR, just like any other S939 CPU would.
April 24, 2006 8:07:00 PM

Go with the Opteron for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!
You dont need any special memory or anything for a socket 939 Opty.
Opty's are hand picked. The best of the best during testing. They are hand picked cause they are primarily (until us gamers found out about the 939's) for servers. The ones that are just average are made into X2's. This means the Opties are more stable at higher speeds (overclock). Therefore the overclockers prefer them. But they will surely be stable whether you overclock or not.
April 25, 2006 11:04:02 AM

My bad, didnt even realise they made socket 939 opty's.
April 25, 2006 12:25:22 PM

The Opty's socket 939 are not much advertised - but they have been picked up rather rabidly by enthusiasts.

Just ensure that your 'cheap' Opteron isn't for a socket 940.
April 25, 2006 12:47:22 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to know what processer would be a better. I have never really found a comprairson between the two types.

I was looking at the 4800+ X2 and the Opteron 180.
They both seem to be about the same and around the same price.
The system would be using windows of course, word, internet, a little video editing using Studio 9, and Autocad 2007. No real games would be used on this system. The Autocad would be mostly 2D stuff, and very little 3D. I'm looking in to the NVIDIA Quadro FX cards for the video. It would be PCI x16 and running dual mon.

Thanks for your help

These processors are the same. Opterons are more thoroughly tested but generally come from the same piece of silicon. For your purposes, get whichever one you can get the best price on. You will find zero difference in performance (but you will see incredible performance!). Both are excellent processors and neither will disappoint.

As another poster mentioned, you may be overkilling somewhat with your video. Throwing money at a non-problem doesn't necessarily qualify as a solution. (I sure wish the US Government would figure this out!).

Otherwise, it looks like you've selected a very nice and powerful system.
April 25, 2006 12:52:57 PM

Quote:
Go with the Opteron for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!
You dont need any special memory or anything for a socket 939 Opty.
Opty's are hand picked. The best of the best during testing. They are hand picked cause they are primarily (until us gamers found out about the 939's) for servers. The ones that are just average are made into X2's. This means the Opties are more stable at higher speeds (overclock). Therefore the overclockers prefer them. But they will surely be stable whether you overclock or not.

I dunno about being handpicked, but they are made with the SOI proccess(Silcon on Insulator), which gives the stability and an incredible amount of "headroom." But you shouldn't care about this unless you plan to OC your new CPU...

If you don't care about the price, shoot, go ahead and get the Opty 180. But it won't perform better, but will probably run cooler(yet the 4800 temps are cool at stock voltage too, so this really shouldn't sway your decision). They are the same core, Denmark=Toledo, except the Denmark has the SOI process.
April 25, 2006 1:05:10 PM

as you mentioned the professional use for Autocad , the need for a quadro vga , you should stick with opteron CPU as it is top quality product in production process in AMD , and will be more reliable in intense professional use. But honestly , why should you spend so much on 180 opteron as you can get opteron 170 , then overclock it to 2.8 Ghz , without risking AMD warranty as this OC can be doen without pushing the eletrical limits of this CPU; to save more, get Opteron 165 and OC to 2.6 Ghz (both OC are over the 2.4 Ghz of 180) .... Another issue is your Quadro needs ... if budget tied , get 6800 Ultra VGA (easy to find on Ebay) then using rivaturner get a full quadro VGA (don't try with 7 series vga which cannot be turned into quadro) ... So saving on CPU , you can invest better on CPU cooling (get a zalman or a tuniq for you safety and for less noisy PC) , on raid HD for your data safety (specially on autocad) ... my rig is for Catia...and never had any problem with time rendering or with processing power... if not bugdet tied ...get new Quadro based on 7 Series GPU... but why spend over 1000+ when you can have incredible performance on 300- VGA ? Want to spend more...get a Quadro SLi...
a c 478 à CPUs
April 25, 2006 2:06:15 PM

If you can get an OEM Opty 180 for $630 then I would personally jump on it 'cause I would drop a Scythe Ninja or Mine HSF on it . I would do the same for the retail X2 and ebay the stock HSF.

As for the GPU, the Quadro FX is great for 3D rendering like Maya, 3D Studio MAX, Lightwave, etc. If all you are doing is 2D stuff then any card will do. If you're not a gamer then get a Matrox which are better for 2D graphics than a typical gaming card like a 7600GT. But Maxtrox cards are not for gaming.
April 25, 2006 3:08:01 PM

Thanks guys for all the help. I remember the days where you only had to look at the Mhz and how much cache the chip had, and now days it is not that simple anymore. I have never looked into Over Clocking, but looks like a good idea. I mean the price diff between 2.4 and a 2.6 is around 300-400 dollars. I really would like the case to be quite, so I'm looking it water cooled as well. Thanks again guys for all you input.
April 30, 2006 2:35:25 PM

Quote:
They are the same core, Denmark=Toledo, except the Denmark has the SOI process.
Hold on a minite, i thought all Athlon64 processors used SIO?
April 30, 2006 2:44:15 PM

Quote:
They are the same core, Denmark=Toledo, except the Denmark has the SOI process.
Hold on a minite, i thought all Athlon64 processors used SIO?

You are correct.
!