to MVSP's (whateverthatis)

i use ms operating systems, i see many problem areas.
i bring this to your attention, mvsp's, as you are ambassadors
for bill and co.

my question is dialogue control language and microsofts mannerism
of making important dialogue box's so small.

take for instance, device manager, one of many.
why is it the dialogue is so small with no ability to 'full screen'?
if i go to any area within device manager, then choose to look at
some irq's address's, i just about need a magnifying glass to see.
they have scroll bars where only two irq's are visible.... and then
expect you to scroll to see more.

do you ppl see what i am saying?
it seems the more important the area of the computer, the less you
can comfortably access it.
why is this?

con
12 answers Last reply
More about mvsp whateverthatis

    ">i bring this to your attention, mvsp's, as you are ambassadors
    >for bill and co.

    I think you misunderstand the nature of MVPs. MVPs are people who try
    to help Microsoft's customers. They are not especially interested in
    helping Microsoft and they receive no wages from Microsoft. They do
    occasionally get opportunities to make suggestions to Microsoft, but
    these tend to be about the need for or content of articles in the
    KnowledgeBase.

    Some MVPs particpate in testing new software before it is released for
    sale. However, such testing has negligible influence over such things
    as the design of the user interface, as these designs are set before
    the software is sent out for testing.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    Welcome back "Jane" LOL

    "pros-cons" <pros@cons.com> wrote in message

    > take for instance, device manager, one of many.
    > why is it the dialogue is so small with no ability to 'full screen'?
    > if i go to any area within device manager, then choose to look at
    > some irq's address's, i just about need a magnifying glass to see.
    > they have scroll bars where only two irq's are visible.... and then
    > expect you to scroll to see more.

    This is governed by your Desktop / Display Properties / Settings,
    documented via / start / help / index / "display, dimensions"

    Repost your query saying how your monitor is currently set.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    anon wrote:
    > Welcome back "Jane" LOL

    Just curious to know what was the catalyst that ever made you think and want
    to look and compare this posts property details to see if it was still her or
    not? Unless it was just the Subject header that 'may' or may not have been
    meant or taken in smartyness?

    Rick

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "pros-cons" <pros@cons.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> take for instance, device manager, one of many.
    >> why is it the dialogue is so small with no ability to 'full screen'?
    >> if i go to any area within device manager, then choose to look at
    >> some irq's address's, i just about need a magnifying glass to see.
    >> they have scroll bars where only two irq's are visible.... and then
    >> expect you to scroll to see more.
    >
    > This is governed by your Desktop / Display Properties / Settings,
    > documented via / start / help / index / "display, dimensions"
    >
    > Repost your query saying how your monitor is currently set.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    right ...don't use 1600X1200 on a 14" monitor !!

    Don Phillipson wrote:
    > > take for instance, device manager, one of many.
    > > why is it the dialogue is so small with no ability to 'full screen'?
    > > if i go to any area within device manager, then choose to look at
    > > some irq's address's, i just about need a magnifying glass to see.
    > > they have scroll bars where only two irq's are visible.... and then
    > > expect you to scroll to see more.
    >
    > This is governed by your Desktop / Display Properties / Settings,
    > documented via / start / help / index / "display, dimensions"
    >
    > Repost your query saying how your monitor is currently set.

    <applause>

    MS Product Feedback?
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    welcome back jane......LOL

    who says i left 'anon'?
    can guarentee the LOL has been heard
    and enjoyed louder here.
    (sorry bout the xpence on your part, but then again,
    you are american)

    btw, to the first poster who replied stating he/she
    has no affiliation with ms and hence the dialogue boxes
    were pre-written........ dont you think it about time
    someone pointed out these deficiences?
    (perhaps Dan, on g s terhunes authority of course)
    its the same with hundreds of dialogue boxes, and the majority
    are similar to the point in question.

    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ROTFLMFAO

    ps, ta for welcome.

    You are assuming that other people see it as a deficiency. I have used
    these dialogs for years in a vast variety of different machine
    configurations and it never struck me as an issue.

    MS has processes that allow you to point these things out to them, but I
    suspect you are in a minority WRT these dialogs.

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:41:12 +0930, "pros-cons" <pros@cons.com> wrote:

    >i use ms operating systems, i see many problem areas.
    >i bring this to your attention, mvsp's, as you are ambassadors
    >for bill and co.

    <cough> Er...

    >my question is dialogue control language and microsofts mannerism
    >of making important dialogue box's so small.

    >take for instance, device manager, one of many.
    >why is it the dialogue is so small with no ability to 'full screen'?

    >if i go to any area within device manager, then choose to look at
    >some irq's address's, i just about need a magnifying glass to see.
    >they have scroll bars where only two irq's are visible.... and then
    >expect you to scroll to see more.

    >do you ppl see what i am saying?

    ABSOLUTELY! See http://cquirke.blogspot.com and scroll back in time
    to "Pleas MS, can we have LESS?" and on to "Less scrolling" :-)

    The OS offers the ability to resize dialogs, but toomany MSware
    dialogs dont support resize and/or start off stupidly-sized and/or
    waste wads of space on do-nothing stuff and then crowd content into
    tiny scroll-yourself-to-death panes. It's like they never test the OS
    on systems with more than five files on it - strange.

    The lastest trend is BIG DUMMY ICONS, as if making buttons larger
    automatically makes it easier. It doesn't really, just makes it look
    as if it ought to be easier than you may be finding it, and thus you
    feel stupid for not figuring it out!

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > You are assuming that other people see it as a deficiency. I have used
    > these dialogs for years in a vast variety of different machine
    > configurations and it never struck me as an issue.

    you are not easily 'struck' sir......
    but sure as i type, it will be an issue.
    dialogue boxes are supposed to be for 'ease of use',
    and limiting them makes for an unpleasant experience,
    the one thing ms would prefer to avoid, if i read
    board-room meetings correctly.

    my father was/is in business for years, and when supplying
    a 'product' there are golden-rules to follow. (if of course
    you wish your product to take-off and be in circulation,
    although that probably doesnt relate here as the process
    has gone way beyond that 'christian attitude' whereby all things
    are for the good for everyone........ no exception)

    Back to the topic.
    I guess you have to answer why certain dialogue boxes are available
    in full size and others arent?
    seeing as how you know most things, perhaps you could answer this?
    why would one programmer allow a dialogue to be a convenience,
    and another make it otherwise.
    There is much software out there, and many many many dialogue boxes,
    yet when it comes to Windows and the 'secret' areas of the comp', they
    seem to shrink.

    con

    pros-cons wrote:
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> You are assuming that other people see it as a deficiency. I have used
    >> these dialogs for years in a vast variety of different machine
    >> configurations and it never struck me as an issue.
    >
    > you are not easily 'struck' sir......
    > but sure as i type, it will be an issue.
    > dialogue boxes are supposed to be for 'ease of use',
    > and limiting them makes for an unpleasant experience,
    > the one thing ms would prefer to avoid, if i read
    > board-room meetings correctly.
    >
    > my father was/is in business for years, and when supplying
    > a 'product' there are golden-rules to follow. (if of course
    > you wish your product to take-off and be in circulation,
    > although that probably doesnt relate here as the process
    > has gone way beyond that 'christian attitude' whereby all things
    > are for the good for everyone........ no exception)
    >
    > Back to the topic.
    > I guess you have to answer why certain dialogue boxes are available
    > in full size and others arent?
    > seeing as how you know most things, perhaps you could answer this?
    > why would one programmer allow a dialogue to be a convenience,
    > and another make it otherwise.

    Because people are different? Some think one way, some think another way,
    some only think about xxx, and some think about yyy. Some see more of
    the whole picture than others, and that, in part, depends on "where they
    came from", so to speak.

    > There is much software out there, and many many many dialogue boxes,
    > yet when it comes to Windows and the 'secret' areas of the comp', they
    > seem to shrink.
    >
    > con

    Every feature added to a system takes resources, either in memory or CPU
    cycles.. The ability to resize a window requires code to resize and
    reposition every item inside the window, and often involves code to
    recalculate information about how the contents of those items should appear.
    Remember that Windows 98 was written when machines were a lot less powerful
    than they are now, and disk space much more expensive.

    I don't know anything about why the particular dialogs you are referring to
    were built the way they were, but I do know that my software includes
    fixed-size windows where I determine that the extra overhead of resizable
    dialogs isn't justified. Perhaps not all my customers agree with my
    decisions, but I have learned that it simply isn't possible to please
    everyone.

    > wnip <
    >
    > you are not easily 'struck' sir......
    > but sure as i type, it will be an issue.
    > dialogue boxes are supposed to be for 'ease of use',
    > and limiting them makes for an unpleasant experience,
    > the one thing ms would prefer to avoid, if i read
    > board-room meetings correctly.
    >
    > my father was/is in business for years, and when supplying
    > a 'product' there are golden-rules to follow. (if of course
    > you wish your product to take-off and be in circulation,
    > although that probably doesnt relate here as the process
    > has gone way beyond that 'christian attitude' whereby all things
    > are for the good for everyone........ no exception)
    >
    > Back to the topic.
    > I guess you have to answer why certain dialogue boxes are available
    > in full size and others arent?
    > seeing as how you know most things, perhaps you could answer this?
    > why would one programmer allow a dialogue to be a convenience,
    > and another make it otherwise.
    > There is much software out there, and many many many dialogue boxes,
    > yet when it comes to Windows and the 'secret' areas of the comp', they
    > seem to shrink.
    >
    > con

Device Manager Microsoft Windows