Modern computer case?

This is OT as it is not directly a Windows problem.

Old computers in the tower style have ample spaces in the case to add
another drive.

I don't see many new/current computers, but my impression is they are
styled, and only have a CD or DVD drive installed. When I see used ones,
the owners never thought to order a floppy drive installed.

I would want the flexibility to later add a floppy drive, and another CD
drive. etc. But unless in the original order, these modern cases don't seem
to come with spare slots for additions?

Is this correct?

TIA
7 answers Last reply
More about modern computer case

    ms wrote:
    > This is OT as it is not directly a Windows problem.
    >
    > Old computers in the tower style have ample spaces in the case to add
    > another drive.
    >
    > I don't see many new/current computers, but my impression is they are
    > styled, and only have a CD or DVD drive installed. When I see used ones,
    > the owners never thought to order a floppy drive installed.
    >
    > I would want the flexibility to later add a floppy drive, and another CD
    > drive. etc. But unless in the original order, these modern cases don't
    > seem to come with spare slots for additions?
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > TIA
    I should add, a new computer in a modern case in not the answer, as I have
    to decide then, when I order, just what should be installed. Later, I may
    not have the option to add things.

    So I am really asking- do I have to locate an old tower style and maybe put
    in a new motherboard, etc. ?

    I don't know where you're looking for your computers, but I still find
    plenty of offerings that are based upon the same old specs.

    Floppy drives are on their way out, and with broadband connections, you
    don't really need a modem. But like you, I prefer my systems to be fully
    loaded.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bl4imF6h03sdU1@individual.net...
    > ms wrote:
    >> This is OT as it is not directly a Windows problem.
    >>
    >> Old computers in the tower style have ample spaces in the case to add
    >> another drive.
    >>
    >> I don't see many new/current computers, but my impression is they are
    >> styled, and only have a CD or DVD drive installed. When I see used ones,
    >> the owners never thought to order a floppy drive installed.
    >>
    >> I would want the flexibility to later add a floppy drive, and another CD
    >> drive. etc. But unless in the original order, these modern cases don't
    >> seem to come with spare slots for additions?
    >>
    >> Is this correct?
    >>
    >> TIA
    > I should add, a new computer in a modern case in not the answer, as I have
    > to decide then, when I order, just what should be installed. Later, I may
    > not have the option to add things.
    >
    > So I am really asking- do I have to locate an old tower style and maybe
    > put in a new motherboard, etc. ?

    all depends on the case you buy ....some have more bays than others (for
    example ..a server tower would have lots of free bays for additions)

    power supply is a factor if you are talking about using an older MB AT vs
    ATX ....power consumption of the board and video card you are going use

    I like using Antec cases and the one I use most is the Sonata.

    The best place IMO at the least to start looking is:
    http://www.newegg.com/

    By selecting a product your interested in will take you to that product page and
    give you different image views to look at.

    Antec cases at newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=7&manufactory=1516&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

    or if the link breaks:
    http://tinyurl.com/95q4

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bl3piF6jr2fiU1@individual.net...
    > This is OT as it is not directly a Windows problem.
    >
    > Old computers in the tower style have ample spaces in the case to add another
    > drive.
    >
    > I don't see many new/current computers, but my impression is they are styled,
    > and only have a CD or DVD drive installed. When I see used ones, the owners
    > never thought to order a floppy drive installed.
    >
    > I would want the flexibility to later add a floppy drive, and another CD
    > drive. etc. But unless in the original order, these modern cases don't seem to
    > come with spare slots for additions?
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > TIA

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370459
    Ten drive bays - 5 5.25", 5 3.5" (two external for floppy, ZIP drive, etc)

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140021
    Eight drive bays - 3 5.25", 6 3.5" (two external for floppy, ZIP, etc)

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370449
    Ten drive bays, as the first computer had.

    That was about fifteen seconds of searching. I'm sure you can find more.
    :-)

    * In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
    * http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    ms wrote:
    > This is OT as it is not directly a Windows problem.
    >
    > Old computers in the tower style have ample spaces in the case to add
    > another drive.
    >
    > I don't see many new/current computers, but my impression is they are
    > styled, and only have a CD or DVD drive installed. When I see used ones,
    > the owners never thought to order a floppy drive installed.
    >
    > I would want the flexibility to later add a floppy drive, and another CD
    > drive. etc. But unless in the original order, these modern cases don't
    > seem to come with spare slots for additions?
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > TIA

    It is the same like in the rags industry. You want your case to look
    "fashionable" or to be used for "work".
    There exist a whole range of them with prices ranging from "el cheapo"
    to much more. Usually the "working" cases sport flat front panel and
    have enough volume for comfortable heat exchange. The number of slots
    for installing additional drives (floppy, hard, and 5.25"(CD/DVD/Tape)
    ranges from minimum to whatever.
    Just don't look at what is displayed in windows of computer selling
    shops, try computer hardware sellers.

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Modern manufactured PCs for homeusers can be seen at the typical
    manufacturers websites. Won't stoop to dropping their weblinks here, but
    there are many visuals at these locations. Not much to choose from for
    expandability. There exists a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter for those without a
    3.5" bay at most PC shops and online PC parts stores. Some floppy drive
    packages come with it.

    If you cannot locate a PC that suits your current and anticipated future
    needs, get a custom-built PC from your local PC shop. Or, go to a reputable
    online PC builder. Most of my online parts shopping is at mwave.

    PC cases range from all show/eye candy for LAN parties, to all business. My
    preference is Antec fileserver cases. Here's an example:
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA14349

    If you're trying to establish that the big PC makers are trying to box in
    the consumer to just what they provide, yes, you're right. That's part of
    the corporate big picture.

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bl3piF6jr2fiU1@individual.net...
    > This is OT as it is not directly a Windows problem.
    >
    > Old computers in the tower style have ample spaces in the case to add
    > another drive.
    >
    > I don't see many new/current computers, but my impression is they are
    > styled, and only have a CD or DVD drive installed. When I see used ones,
    > the owners never thought to order a floppy drive installed.
    >
    > I would want the flexibility to later add a floppy drive, and another CD
    > drive. etc. But unless in the original order, these modern cases don't
    seem
    > to come with spare slots for additions?
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > TIA