Need 3 parts.. Don't ask how I lost them(blush)

serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.
8 answers Last reply
More about need parts lost them blush

    Post any error messages pointing to these files in their entirety.

    CrystalBall© sez, "Reinstall your Lexmark printer/scanner."
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    Wryly Post wrote:
    > serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

    They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
    You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.

    Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you too
    (if you look at each one).

    Wryly Post <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

    If vmm32.vxd has actually been removed from your computer and you do
    not have a recent backup copy of it then you *must* reinstall Windows.

    Vmm32.vxd is a composite file that is custom built during the Windows
    install process. The content of the file is determined by the actual
    hardware components contained in the computer. There is a vmm32.vxd
    file contained in the .cab files on the Windows 98 installation CD but
    that is just a "stub" file that is used as the starting point for
    building the actual file.

    But check and doublecheck for the existence of vmm32.vxd on your hard
    drive before you reinstall Windows. There are circumstances where
    false errors about this file being missing can be produced.

    To check for the existence of the file boot the computer to "command
    prompt only" or with a Windows 98 Startup Boot Disk and enter the
    following command:

    DIR C:\VMM32.VXD /A /S

    If the result is "file not found" and you don't have a backup on
    another disk somewhere then the only option is to reinstall.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Isn't vmm32.vxd just a shell when it's first installed ? :-)
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html
    ....that is to say, it won't do much good installing a new (empty one) !

    regards, Richard

    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
    > You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.
    >
    > Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you
    > too
    > (if you look at each one).
    >
    > Wryly Post wrote:
    >> serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

    May be. I don't know much about the vxd files, so maybe it's almost
    pointless.

    RJK wrote:
    > Isn't vmm32.vxd just a shell when it's first installed ? :-)
    > http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html
    > ...that is to say, it won't do much good installing a new (empty one) !
    >
    > regards, Richard
    >

    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
    >> You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.
    >>
    >> Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you
    >> too
    >> (if you look at each one).
    >>
    >> Wryly Post wrote:
    >>> serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

    Thanks to all who responded. I inadvertently left a diskette with some
    files on it in "A" drive on startup. Oh Well!

    Wryly Post <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Thanks to all who responded. I inadvertently left a diskette with some
    >files on it in "A" drive on startup. Oh Well!

    Been there. Done that. And not just once, either.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    One thing I do know about VxDs relates to "...where angels fear to
    tread...".

    (I just remembered that infamous missing VxD device driver 0E blue screen
    error that ended up forcing me to reinstall windows some time ago).

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    > May be. I don't know much about the vxd files, so maybe it's almost
    > pointless.
    >
    > RJK wrote:
    >> Isn't vmm32.vxd just a shell when it's first installed ? :-)
    >> http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html
    >> ...that is to say, it won't do much good installing a new (empty one) !
    >>
    >> regards, Richard
    >>

    >> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
    >>> You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you
    >>> too
    >>> (if you look at each one).

Microsoft DLL Windows