Need 3 parts.. Don't ask how I lost them(blush)

serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.

Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you too
(if you look at each one).

Wryly Post <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote:

>serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

If vmm32.vxd has actually been removed from your computer and you do
not have a recent backup copy of it then you *must* reinstall Windows.

Vmm32.vxd is a composite file that is custom built during the Windows
install process. The content of the file is determined by the actual
hardware components contained in the computer. There is a vmm32.vxd
file contained in the .cab files on the Windows 98 installation CD but
that is just a "stub" file that is used as the starting point for
building the actual file.

But check and doublecheck for the existence of vmm32.vxd on your hard
drive before you reinstall Windows. There are circumstances where
false errors about this file being missing can be produced.

To check for the existence of the file boot the computer to "command
prompt only" or with a Windows 98 Startup Boot Disk and enter the
following command:

DIR C:\VMM32.VXD /A /S

If the result is "file not found" and you don't have a backup on
another disk somewhere then the only option is to reinstall.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Isn't vmm32.vxd just a shell when it's first installed ? :)
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html
....that is to say, it won't do much good installing a new (empty one) !

regards, Richard

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
> You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.
>
> Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you
> too
> (if you look at each one).
>
> Wryly Post wrote:
>> serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

May be. I don't know much about the vxd files, so maybe it's almost
pointless.

RJK wrote:
> Isn't vmm32.vxd just a shell when it's first installed ? :)
> http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html
> ...that is to say, it won't do much good installing a new (empty one) !
>
> regards, Richard
>

> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
>> You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.
>>
>> Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you
>> too
>> (if you look at each one).
>>
>> Wryly Post wrote:
>>> serial.vxd, vmm32.vxd, serialui.dll.

Thanks to all who responded. I inadvertently left a diskette with some
files on it in "A" drive on startup. Oh Well!

Wryly Post <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Thanks to all who responded. I inadvertently left a diskette with some
>files on it in "A" drive on startup. Oh Well!

Been there. Done that. And not just once, either.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

One thing I do know about VxDs relates to "...where angels fear to
tread...".

(I just remembered that infamous missing VxD device driver 0E blue screen
error that ended up forcing me to reinstall windows some time ago).

Bill in Co. wrote:
> May be. I don't know much about the vxd files, so maybe it's almost
> pointless.
>
> RJK wrote:
>> Isn't vmm32.vxd just a shell when it's first installed ? :)
>> http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/vmm32.html
>> ...that is to say, it won't do much good installing a new (empty one) !
>>
>> regards, Richard
>>

>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> They should be within one of the cabinet (CAB) files on your Win98SE CD.
>>> You can use SFC to scan for them, as I recall.
>>>
>>> Actually, come to think of it, I think Winzip might be able to tell you
>>> too
>>> (if you look at each one).

TRENDING THREADS