sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hey, i used to have CPU heat problems so i went to the store and they put thermal paste on it. the temps dropped amazingly
then a month later CPU temps went up again so they placed some extra Fans in it. my CPU now runs at about 55-60 dregrees these temps stop the CPU from throttling but think it isnt very stable,
(notice it isnt stable in games since then the game feels smooth and the other time it doesnt)
when i just bought the computer, temps were at 35-45 C (degrees)

i have a intel p4 presscot 3.4 ghz HT and it might have dual core dunno,
i have about 3 Fans in my computer, 1 on the CPU blowing the air out the case , 1 on the GFX card, 1 in the back of my computer also blowing air out the case.
the Fan on the CPU is blowing the air away from the CPU to outside the case so its not sucking in , i think it should be like this

if u need more information pls tell me
sorry if my english isnt to good

thnx in advance

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
dual6of.jpg

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
What exactly are you asking?

You've got a 3.4GHz P4 with Hyperthreading (hence the two CPUs showing in the task manager).

Should have CPU cooler on it and have fan blowing air onto the CPU cooler not away from it. Otherwise you're pulling the air away from the cooler fan and it can't cool as well. You want to direct air from outside the case onto the CPU cooler not the other way around. The rear fan will handle removing that now hot air from the case.

By the fan on the CPU I hope you're referring to a case fan not the CPU cooler fan itself. Otherwise its spinning in the wrong direction.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Try this case mod http://overclockers.com/tips1187/

It will help on the temperatures tremendously and its very easy to do...just look at the pictures :)

My Athlon64(NewCastle) used to idle around 40-45C and hit like 55-60C on 100% load before the mod, now it idles around 25-30C and 35-40C on load with the stock HSF.

Hope this helps your temps :)

sailer

Splendid
Like FitCamero said, if your CPU fan is blowing the wrong way, the cooler won't function. Worse, the heatsink can fill up with dust and junk so that it doesn't transfer heat. Instead, it just becomes insulation and makes things hotter yet. That might explain why things cooled down when you removed the CPU and put the paste on, everything got cleaned off in the process so ended up cooler. When the dust settled back in, the heat went up.

So pull everything apart, clean it good, and put it back together making sure that the fan blows on the heatsink and not away from it. Then check what your temperature reads.

Of course, all this depends on the direction of the fan. You still might take everything apart, clean it, and take a temperature reading anyway. Won't hurt, and maybe something else will happen that points to a problem.

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
What exactly are you asking?

You've got a 3.4GHz P4 with Hyperthreading (hence the two CPUs showing in the task manager).
yes?

Should have CPU cooler on it and have fan blowing air onto the CPU cooler not away from it. Otherwise you're pulling the air away from the cooler fan and it can't cool as well. You want to direct air from outside the case onto the CPU cooler not the other way around. The rear fan will handle removing that now hot air from the case.

By the fan on the CPU I hope you're referring to a case fan not the CPU cooler fan itself. Otherwise its spinning in the wrong direction.

well, i have one big fan ( the biggest in the case ) on the CPU i think and i think it blows the air away from the CPU yes because when i put my hand for it i feel the wind

do u know how to change the direction of the fan? so i might try to change it and see if i get lower temps.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, that fan should be blowing on the heatsink...Now, what type Heatsink/Fan is it? Aftermarket? Or is it a heatsink with a 80mm fan on it? If it is the latter, just unscrew the fan, flip it, and you're done. Do the newer fans have a switch, though?

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
i took it all off cleaned the dust off of it found out the fan was spinning in the right direction:p
alot of dust tho, i put evrything back in and it dropped bout 2 C

my fan isnt stock, and its bigger then 80mm

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Weird... I don't think it has been somehow overclocked, and the fan is spinning in the right direction, is the fan rated for this CPU? You wouldn't know the make/model would you?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. btw, MY 100TH POST! BRING ON THE AVATAR! OH YEAH! EAT IT, TASTE THE RAINBOW, BIYATCHES! (I'm done, thank you)

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hmm. Fishy, fishy. What could this be?! I have an odd, yet very unfounded impression that this might have to do something with power. I'm sure you've checked, the 12V cable is plugged in right, I'm not sure if it actually called that, but it is a fat four-pin power cable that is plugged into the motherboard right next to the processor.Then I would check voltages in BIOS and go ahead and check the temps. They all pretty close to what they are supposed to be? Except for the temps, 'course.

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
i used Hmonitor to check my voltages.

Heres a screenshot of the program showing the voltages:

ScreenShot of Hmonitor

(i dont know if the voltages are the ones they should be? not to familiar with voltages)

somehow it shows different CPU Temps then in my BIOS,

Anyway those r the voltages, wonder why some are in red tho?

and yes the cable is plugged in:p else my computer wouldn't run i think.
and isn't it weird that my CPU ran at lower temps when i bought it then now?
sorry for time it takes for me to reply here, but i have a alot of school work.

Thanks!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
They are in red becuase they are too far out of spec and it may be the PSU that is cuaseing your problems...getting ready to die and perhaps take the rest of the system out with it.

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
They are in red becuase they are too far out of spec and it may be the PSU that is cuaseing your problems...getting ready to die and perhaps take the rest of the system out with it.

perhaps u can tell me what the voltages should be on my P4 presscot 3.4 GHz HT and how to change them?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well, voltages SHOULD be same for all computers. Seem the number next to it? Like the -5V, means you should get close to that, but you have -6.46... I think the Core should be near 1.5V, and I'm not too sure about the Aux one, though. Your GPU is a little high for not being on load, nearly 60! Not meaning any offense, but do you live in a hot environment? Maybe see if you can go to a local computer store/shop and ask to just borrow a PSU for testing? Most people will do it. What is your GPU? Some are just naturally hot..

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Well, voltages SHOULD be same for all computers. Seem the number next to it? Like the -5V, means you should get close to that, but you have -6.46... I think the Core should be near 1.5V, and I'm not too sure about the Aux one, though. Your GPU is a little high for not being on load, nearly 60! Not meaning any offense, but do you live in a hot environment? Maybe see if you can go to a local computer store/shop and ask to just borrow a PSU for testing? Most people will do it. What is your GPU? Some are just naturally hot..

~Ibrahim~

Pic when using 3.4 Ghz
(the other pic was when i clocked it back to 3.0, stock is 3.4 GHz)

heres my GPU even hotter, and no i dont live in a hot invirement, i live in the netherlands.
in the other pic i was at 3.0 GHz, but here its 3.4 GHz and iam playing counterstrike - and oh yea its with the case off!
i could ask for a PSU but wouldnt know how to put it in my computer?
but what i dont understand is why are the voltages to high?this should be the problem right?i never changed any BIOS settings except onscreen logos and the AGP capeture size (128 to 256)
which hardware makes voltages go to high?

its 290 Wats power supply
thnx

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Ouch, I don't think that is enough power, nearly. What other specs do you have? GPU? Amount of drive, including DVD/CD and Hard Drives? Memory? Voltages are good ways to see if your computer is getting enough power. If they are low, as yours are, they will be not getting enough power, like the -5 Volt. If it isn't getting enough, it will go lower than -5. See if you can tell me more about your computer. Maybe do this to find some information:
CD/DVD Drives: Just how many are there?
Hard Drive: In My Computer: How many drives are listed, exluding the CD drives and any folders that may or may not be there?
GPU:
Press Start, Run, type in "dxdiag", enter, click "yes" if a dialog box comes up, otherwise click the Display tab, what does it say under Name in the Device box?
Memory: Don't exit the dxdiag program, yet. Go to the first tab, System. Go through the small list and what does it say next to Memory?

Putting in a new Power Supply isn't too difficult, I'll explain it in my next post, I just need the info above. Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Ouch, I don't think that is enough power, nearly. What other specs do you have? GPU? Amount of drive, including DVD/CD and Hard Drives? Memory? Voltages are good ways to see if your computer is getting enough power. If they are low, as yours are, they will be not getting enough power, like the -5 Volt. If it isn't getting enough, it will go lower than -5. See if you can tell me more about your computer. Maybe do this to find some information:
CD/DVD Drives: Just how many are there?
Hard Drive: In My Computer: How many drives are listed, exluding the CD drives and any folders that may or may not be there?
GPU:
Press Start, Run, type in "dxdiag", enter, click "yes" if a dialog box comes up, otherwise click the Display tab, what does it say under Name in the Device box?
Memory: Don't exit the dxdiag program, yet. Go to the first tab, System. Go through the small list and what does it say next to Memory?

Putting in a new Power Supply isn't too difficult, I'll explain it in my next post, I just need the info above. Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

xdiag
thats what it says under system

xdiag Display
the display tab
MyComputer

i have 200 gig HDD
GF 6600 256 mb
2 Thingys were i can put a CD/DVD in , 1 to rip a CD/DVD
CPU 3.40 GHz
2 network cards ( 1 onboard)
Onboard Sound
3 Fans
2x512 MB
and i have Blue light infront of the PC which was in there when i bought it

i hope this is the info u need
but the voltages is a other problem then the temps righjt? or do wrong voltages effect temps also?

thnx

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Thanks for the info! Great Help!

OK, after going through some PSU Wattage Calcualtors, you are going to need about 275W of Continuous power, load. Now, PSU's rarely give out all they can shell out, most operate under a 65-75% efficiency, unless it is a REALLY good one, than you'll get around 80-85% efficiency. I want to say that is the problem, but I'm not 200% sure.

Temperature is greatly affected by voltages, so that looks like that it may be the Culpirt... Where was the computer made? Name-brand or local? If Name-Brand, it may be slightly harder. If Local, go and complain for inadequate power and show them the screens of the temps and voltages. If Name-Brand, go give them a call. But the computer might be out of warranty: If so, continue.

If you would like to do it yourself, it isn't TOO hard. We just have to figure out a few simple items. You will be needing 3 4-pin molex connectors: Hard Drive, CD 1, CD 2, one floppy drive connector, one CPU connector, and one motherboard connector. Now, most PSU's include all those connections. Only on the motherboard am I confused a little bit about. Older motherboards generally require 20-pin hookups, while some newer ones want 24-pins. But there are usually adaptors that can be found cheaply.

Currently, you don't need a power supply as there aren't any problems, as of yet. But some may come, I'm pretty sure of that. I reccommend Ultra for a PSU company. If you DO want one, what is your price range? I'm assuming you are using Euro's now? If you do get one, I'd say maybe 400+ watts. Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
my price range, i have no money atm iam 15 years old, but if it doesnt cost to much my mom will pay for it.
anyway, will this also solve my CPU , GPU and MB temps?

The computer is made my Fuijitsie Siemens.
The brand is the same offcourse;P

thanks alot for your help so far m8

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
lol, me 2! Well, I know the exact feeling you have...The price really depends on where you buy it from...eBay should get you a great deal, but let me look around...I'm pretty sure that this should solve the problems. The only thing that is holding me back from a 100%-sure answer is the video card. It isn't get direct power from the PSU, but it IS getting power from the motherboard. Is it at 65C on load, or idle? On load, that is perfectly fine, but idle is very bad. You know what? Before you surprise your mom asking for a PSU, maybe wait a little. Because, as of right now, there aren't any problems that are hampering you. It is on the border of it, and may get ugly. It isn't randomly rebooting? Or games crashing? What I would do is play for a while, and see if there are any problems. Or for a more secure answer, download Prime95. Loop it for 24 hours. If there are problems, than get a new PSU, but if not, than I think you may be all right. Sorry if I'm being a little vague...

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
lol, me 2! Well, I know the exact feeling you have...The price really depends on where you buy it from...eBay should get you a great deal, but let me look around...I'm pretty sure that this should solve the problems. The only thing that is holding me back from a 100%-sure answer is the video card. It isn't get direct power from the PSU, but it IS getting power from the motherboard. Is it at 65C on load, or idle? On load, that is perfectly fine, but idle is very bad. You know what? Before you surprise your mom asking for a PSU, maybe wait a little. Because, as of right now, there aren't any problems that are hampering you. It is on the border of it, and may get ugly. It isn't randomly rebooting? Or games crashing? What I would do is play for a while, and see if there are any problems. Or for a more secure answer, download Prime95. Loop it for 24 hours. If there are problems, than get a new PSU, but if not, than I think you may be all right. Sorry if I'm being a little vague...

~Ibrahim~

hehe:D
the GPU is at 65C @ load but with the case off, with the case on it gets around 70-75 C

well if u think the PSU will fix the temps. then i really need to get a new one because my CPU isnt stable since it has high temp.

I cant buy things from ebay tho, i dont have a CC we use regular bank passes.

sometimes it reboots by itself, but that is REALLY SOMETIMES , mostly in games.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Ahh...Well, ZipZoomFly is pretty good and so is Tiger Direct. I would say NewEgg, but it doens't ship worldwide. :( Yeah, that is EXACTLY what my old computer did. Rebooted during games, got very annoying. One day I smelled burnt plastic and it wouldn't boot. Low behold, when I opened the PSU, i found some very black/burnt caps... Is it still under warranty? If not, maybe try a local comp shop or those internet shops.

~Ibrahim~

sjeng

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yes, i still have warrenty

Iam gonna call Fuijtsie Siemens tommorow, and tell them that the temps are to high and that it might be the PSU that is causing it.

I will also tell them about the voltages and tell them this might be why the temps are so high.

Ill post here after i called them

thanks alot for your help m8, i really really appriciat!

* i called and they said i lost my warrenty since i upgraded to a better CPU cooler, fucking bs this is.
i only changed the CPU cooler cause i had problems with the CPU temps.
oh well nothing much i can about this.

ive just checked some things in BIOS instead of using software

vcore: 1.304V
DDRV: 1.280V
VCC#: 3.264V
+12V: 11.811 V
System Fan Speed: 1814 RPM
CPU Fan Speed: 0 RPM ( alltho it is spinning )

*still with the case off :x

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
WHAT?!? Oh that is fcuking bullsh!t. How the F can they do that? I would complain, see if you can talk to the supervisor... That is just....Bah, I'm really sorry! Well, the voltages seem to match. Are you able to find out the 5V voltage? Oh, I also found a rather OK site, geeks.com. They have good prices, and quality seems pretty good as well! They DO ship internationally....

~Ibrahim~