Win98 installation problems

Chachi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?

My system :
Asus a7v400-mx mb
Sempron 2400
512mb ram
gf4 mx 128mb agp
c: maxtor 40gb
f: wd 80 gb
d: dvd rw/dl
e: cdrw

I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
11th hour two major ones).

Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
on this one!

pip22

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

Have you tried installing 98 on to a 'clean' partition with no data on
it (ie freshly formatted) ?

--
pip22

"Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message
> I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
> scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
> does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
> checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
> of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
> press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
>
> My system :
> Asus a7v400-mx mb
> Sempron 2400
> 512mb ram
> gf4 mx 128mb agp
> c: maxtor 40gb
> f: wd 80 gb
> d: dvd rw/dl
> e: cdrw
>
> I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
> boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
> I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
> boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
> xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
> games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
> 11th hour two major ones).
>
> Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
> on this one!
Run manufacturers diagnostic on the C drive.
Mike.

Michael Hawes wrote:
> "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
>>scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
>>does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
>>checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
>>of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
>>press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
>>
>>My system :
>>Asus a7v400-mx mb
>>Sempron 2400
>>512mb ram
>>gf4 mx 128mb agp
>>c: maxtor 40gb
>>f: wd 80 gb
>>d: dvd rw/dl
>>e: cdrw
>>
>>I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
>>boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
>>I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
>>boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
>>xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
>>games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
>>11th hour two major ones).
>>
>>Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
>>on this one!
>
> Run manufacturers diagnostic on the C drive.
> Mike.

Tested both drives, using all tests and both passed every one...
Could it be an incompatibility with the mb?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Try copying the "Win98" folder from the CD, to a location on the hard drive, then
run setup from the hard drive.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Michael Hawes wrote:
> > "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
> >>scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
> >>does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
> >>checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
> >>of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
> >>press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
> >>
> >>My system :
> >>Asus a7v400-mx mb
> >>Sempron 2400
> >>512mb ram
> >>gf4 mx 128mb agp
> >>c: maxtor 40gb
> >>f: wd 80 gb
> >>d: dvd rw/dl
> >>e: cdrw
> >>
> >>I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
> >>boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
> >>I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
> >>boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
> >>xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
> >>games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
> >>11th hour two major ones).
> >>
> >>Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
> >>on this one!
> >
> > Run manufacturers diagnostic on the C drive.
> > Mike.
> >

> Tested both drives, using all tests and both passed every one...
> Could it be an incompatibility with the mb?

Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message

> I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to boot
> into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
> I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple boot
> cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my xp install
> in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older games that I just
> can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest, 11th hour two major
> ones).

Did you try setting the games to use compatibility mode in XP?
Right click the .exe and click on the Compatibility tab to set your options.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

You wrote:
> [...]

"Shep was asking if Xp was still usable."

Suggest you start over.
#1. Change your drive configuration to:
C: wd 80 gb (master) Primary ide controller
D: dvd (slave) primary ide controller
E: maxtor 40 gb (master) secondary ide controller
F: cdrw (slave) secondary ide controller

#2. write zeros to the drives using manufacturers software.
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091
346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&
downloadID=22

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2

#3. Partition with new fdisk
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98/update/8266r/w98/en-us/263044us
a8.exe

bootdisk
http://www.mirrors.org/archived_software/www.bootdisk.com/winfiles1/boot98se
..exe

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000
"YOU MUST PARTITION WITH FAT32 ON BOTH DRIVES 'NOT NTFS' OR 98 CAN'T SEE THE
DISK!"

#4. Install win98 FIRST!!! Install to E:\ windows
Install XP LAST!!! Install to C:\

This eliminates the need to install bootmagic at all since the xp boot
loader will give you the option at startup.

Your boot.ini will look like this when done:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

This is off one of my computers running XP-98. XP on C: and and 98 on E:
When you install 98 first it writes to the MBR on C: which is "Microsoft
Windows" Even though the 98 Os is on
E:
The default OS is "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" which does infact
reside in C:

The timeout=30 is the amount of time you have at boot to choose either XP or
98.If you do not choose in 30 seconds,
it defaults to XP. You can edit this file to make 98 the default OS.

You wrote:
On the top portion of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette
in drive b: and
press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?

I can only guess that this has something to do with boot magic as you
installed it before "both operating systems"
were installed.Just a guess though. Also in your Bios, turn off seek floppy
at boot, since you do not have one and check all settings again. If 98 gives
you trouble on install, take out all cards except video, use one stick of
memory, turn off "IR" and usb
in bios and anything else you don't need for install IE: serial ports, agp
turbo, change to pci/agp,sound, ect. After install enable one at a
time.After these devices are found and drivers installed, start adding your
cards if you use any.
Good Luck,
C.

"Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message

> My system :
> Asus a7v400-mx mb
> Sempron 2400
> 512mb ram
> gf4 mx 128mb agp
> c: maxtor 40gb
> f: wd 80 gb
> d: dvd rw/dl
> e: cdrw

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

#4. Install win98 FIRST!!! Install to E:\ windows
Install XP LAST!!! Install to C:\

chris wrote:

> [...]
>
> You wrote:
> On the top portion of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette
> in drive b: and
> press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
>
> I can only guess that this has something to do with boot magic as you
> installed it before "both operating systems"
> were installed.Just a guess though. Also in your Bios, turn off seek floppy
> at boot, since you do not have one and check all settings again. If 98 gives
> you trouble on install, take out all cards except video, use one stick of
> memory, turn off "IR" and usb
> in bios and anything else you don't need for install IE: serial ports, agp
> turbo, change to pci/agp,sound, ect. After install enable one at a
> time.After these devices are found and drivers installed, start adding your

I kept my installation the same, xp was/still is usable. It actually
turned out to be bad install media... No scratches on the cd, but
something must have happened to it, I used another cd and it installed
fine. I now have my 98, xp, and linux happily together with bootmagic as
my manager.

Thanks for all responses.

"chris" <cpmuzixrulez@netscape.net> wrote in message
> #4. Install win98 FIRST!!! Install to E:\ windows
> Install XP LAST!!! Install to C:\

Either OS can be on C:. Any special reason I'm not aware of with the
drive/partition choice?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

>I kept my installation the same, xp was/still is usable. It actually
>turned out to be bad install media... No scratches on the cd, but
>something must have happened to it, I used another cd and it installed
>fine. I now have my 98, xp, and linux happily together with bootmagic as
>my manager.
>
>Thanks for all responses.

That was one of my thought.Glad all is well :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply