Win98 installation problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?

My system :
Asus a7v400-mx mb
Sempron 2400
512mb ram
gf4 mx 128mb agp
c: maxtor 40gb
f: wd 80 gb
d: dvd rw/dl
e: cdrw

I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
11th hour two major ones).

Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
on this one!
10 answers Last reply
More about win98 installation problems

    Have you tried installing 98 on to a 'clean' partition with no data on
    it (ie freshly formatted) ?

    --
    pip22
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message
    > I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
    > scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
    > does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
    > checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
    > of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
    > press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
    >
    > My system :
    > Asus a7v400-mx mb
    > Sempron 2400
    > 512mb ram
    > gf4 mx 128mb agp
    > c: maxtor 40gb
    > f: wd 80 gb
    > d: dvd rw/dl
    > e: cdrw
    >
    > I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
    > boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
    > I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
    > boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
    > xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
    > games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
    > 11th hour two major ones).
    >
    > Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
    > on this one!
    Run manufacturers diagnostic on the C drive.
    Mike.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    Michael Hawes wrote:
    > "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
    >>scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
    >>does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
    >>checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
    >>of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
    >>press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
    >>
    >>My system :
    >>Asus a7v400-mx mb
    >>Sempron 2400
    >>512mb ram
    >>gf4 mx 128mb agp
    >>c: maxtor 40gb
    >>f: wd 80 gb
    >>d: dvd rw/dl
    >>e: cdrw
    >>
    >>I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
    >>boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
    >>I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
    >>boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
    >>xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
    >>games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
    >>11th hour two major ones).
    >>
    >>Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
    >>on this one!
    >
    > Run manufacturers diagnostic on the C drive.
    > Mike.

    Tested both drives, using all tests and both passed every one...
    Could it be an incompatibility with the mb?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    Try copying the "Win98" folder from the CD, to a location on the hard drive, then
    run setup from the hard drive.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Michael Hawes wrote:
    > > "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have a problem at the start of win98 installation. It goes through
    > >>scandisk fine, then starts the graphical part of the installation, it
    > >>does the setup wizard, checks for installed components, but when
    > >>checking for available disk space, it hangs at 61%. On the top portion
    > >>of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette in drive b: and
    > >>press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
    > >>
    > >>My system :
    > >>Asus a7v400-mx mb
    > >>Sempron 2400
    > >>512mb ram
    > >>gf4 mx 128mb agp
    > >>c: maxtor 40gb
    > >>f: wd 80 gb
    > >>d: dvd rw/dl
    > >>e: cdrw
    > >>
    > >>I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to
    > >>boot into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
    > >>I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple
    > >>boot cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my
    > >>xp install in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older
    > >>games that I just can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest,
    > >>11th hour two major ones).
    > >>
    > >>Sorry for the long post (and crosspost), but I really need some advice
    > >>on this one!
    > >
    > > Run manufacturers diagnostic on the C drive.
    > > Mike.
    > >

    > Tested both drives, using all tests and both passed every one...
    > Could it be an incompatibility with the mb?

    Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message

    > I have xp installed on the f: drive, and have installed boot magic to boot
    > into either *if* I ever get 98 installed.
    > I've tried just with the c: connected, both connected, tried multiple boot
    > cd's (the 98 cd is bootable), ran fdisk many a times and fubared my xp install
    > in the process. I'm at wits end here! I have alot of older games that I just
    > can't seem to get to run stable under xp (7th guest, 11th hour two major
    > ones).

    Did you try setting the games to use compatibility mode in XP?
    Right click the .exe and click on the Compatibility tab to set your options.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    You wrote:
> [...]

    "Shep was asking if Xp was still usable."

    Suggest you start over.
    #1. Change your drive configuration to:
    C: wd 80 gb (master) Primary ide controller
    D: dvd (slave) primary ide controller
    E: maxtor 40 gb (master) secondary ide controller
    F: cdrw (slave) secondary ide controller

    #2. write zeros to the drives using manufacturers software.
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091
    346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&
    downloadID=22

    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2

    #3. Partition with new fdisk
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98/update/8266r/w98/en-us/263044us
    a8.exe

    bootdisk
    http://www.mirrors.org/archived_software/www.bootdisk.com/winfiles1/boot98se
    ..exe

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000
    "YOU MUST PARTITION WITH FAT32 ON BOTH DRIVES 'NOT NTFS' OR 98 CAN'T SEE THE
    DISK!"

    #4. Install win98 FIRST!!! Install to E:\ windows
    Install XP LAST!!! Install to C:\

    This eliminates the need to install bootmagic at all since the xp boot
    loader will give you the option at startup.

    Your boot.ini will look like this when done:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

    This is off one of my computers running XP-98. XP on C: and and 98 on E:
    When you install 98 first it writes to the MBR on C: which is "Microsoft
    Windows" Even though the 98 Os is on
    E:
    The default OS is "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" which does infact
    reside in C:

    The timeout=30 is the amount of time you have at boot to choose either XP or
    98.If you do not choose in 30 seconds,
    it defaults to XP. You can edit this file to make 98 the default OS.

    You wrote:
    On the top portion of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette
    in drive b: and
    press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?

    I can only guess that this has something to do with boot magic as you
    installed it before "both operating systems"
    were installed.Just a guess though. Also in your Bios, turn off seek floppy
    at boot, since you do not have one and check all settings again. If 98 gives
    you trouble on install, take out all cards except video, use one stick of
    memory, turn off "IR" and usb
    in bios and anything else you don't need for install IE: serial ports, agp
    turbo, change to pci/agp,sound, ect. After install enable one at a
    time.After these devices are found and drivers installed, start adding your
    cards if you use any.
    Good Luck,
    C.

    "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message

    > My system :
    > Asus a7v400-mx mb
    > Sempron 2400
    > 512mb ram
    > gf4 mx 128mb agp
    > c: maxtor 40gb
    > f: wd 80 gb
    > d: dvd rw/dl
    > e: cdrw

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    #4. Install win98 FIRST!!! Install to E:\ windows
    Install XP LAST!!! Install to C:\

    You wrote:
    On the top portion of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette
    in drive b: and
    press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?

    I can only guess that this has something to do with boot magic as you
    installed it before "both operating systems"
    were installed.Just a guess though. Also in your Bios, turn off seek floppy
    at boot, since you do not have one and check all settings again. If 98 gives
    you trouble on install, take out all cards except video, use one stick of
    memory, turn off "IR" and usb
    in bios and anything else you don't need for install IE: serial ports, agp
    turbo, change to pci/agp,sound, ect. After install enable one at a
    time.After these devices are found and drivers installed, start adding your
    cards if you use any.
    Good Luck,
    C.

    "Chachi" <no@spam.ca> wrote in message

    > My system :
    > Asus a7v400-mx mb
    > Sempron 2400
    > 512mb ram
    > gf4 mx 128mb agp
    > c: maxtor 40gb
    > f: wd 80 gb
    > d: dvd rw/dl
    > e: cdrw

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    chris wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > You wrote:
    > On the top portion of the screen, in dos like type it says insert diskette
    > in drive b: and
    > press any key to continue. I don't have any floppy drives installed?
    >
    > I can only guess that this has something to do with boot magic as you
    > installed it before "both operating systems"
    > were installed.Just a guess though. Also in your Bios, turn off seek floppy
    > at boot, since you do not have one and check all settings again. If 98 gives
    > you trouble on install, take out all cards except video, use one stick of
    > memory, turn off "IR" and usb
    > in bios and anything else you don't need for install IE: serial ports, agp
    > turbo, change to pci/agp,sound, ect. After install enable one at a
    > time.After these devices are found and drivers installed, start adding your

    I kept my installation the same, xp was/still is usable. It actually
    turned out to be bad install media... No scratches on the cd, but
    something must have happened to it, I used another cd and it installed
    fine. I now have my 98, xp, and linux happily together with bootmagic as
    my manager.

    Thanks for all responses.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    "chris" <cpmuzixrulez@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > #4. Install win98 FIRST!!! Install to E:\ windows
    > Install XP LAST!!! Install to C:\

    Either OS can be on C:. Any special reason I'm not aware of with the
    drive/partition choice?

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.windows98 (More info?)

    >I kept my installation the same, xp was/still is usable. It actually
    >turned out to be bad install media... No scratches on the cd, but
    >something must have happened to it, I used another cd and it installed
    >fine. I now have my 98, xp, and linux happily together with bootmagic as
    >my manager.
    >
    >Thanks for all responses.

    That was one of my thought.Glad all is well :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

Windows