DW15 error

I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in module
KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.

After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any key to
terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?

Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about dw15 error

    Have you installed "BugToaster" from
    http://www.bugtoaster.com/index.asp?

    If so, try uninstalling it. If not, or if uninstalling doesn't help,
    post back.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in
    module
    > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    >
    > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
    > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any
    key to
    > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Gary,

    I didn't install any "BugToaster" from.

    james

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Have you installed "BugToaster" from
    > http://www.bugtoaster.com/index.asp?
    >
    > If so, try uninstalling it. If not, or if uninstalling doesn't help,
    > post back.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in
    > module
    > > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    > >
    > > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
    > > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any
    > key to
    > > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    OK, well that's one possibility taken care of... Maybe...

    Next step is to rule out malware. See the articles in my signature,
    starting with the one on Security. None of the available tools can find
    all types of malware, but the ones I suggest, if used together, go a
    long ways toward that end. It also helps to try a different virus
    scanner or three. F-Prot is one that is free and good for this purpose.

    Beware, though, of any anti-malware scanners or "fixit" tools that don't
    come well-recommended by groups such as this one. There's an awful lot
    of "rogue" applications that claim to scan for and remove malware but
    which are actually malware installers in disguise.

    My Clean Boot article also introduces you to MSCONFIG if you aren't
    already familiar with it. MSCONFIG can be used to disable optional
    background apps, to see if the offending process is one of those.

    --

    > Gary,
    >
    > I didn't install any "BugToaster" from.
    >
    > james
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Have you installed "BugToaster" from
    > > http://www.bugtoaster.com/index.asp?
    > >
    > > If so, try uninstalling it. If not, or if uninstalling doesn't help,
    > > post back.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault
    in
    > > module
    > > > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    > > >
    > > > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred
    at
    > > > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press
    any
    > > key to
    > > > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    All i have done. Still appear the same message...

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > OK, well that's one possibility taken care of... Maybe...
    >
    > Next step is to rule out malware. See the articles in my signature,
    > starting with the one on Security. None of the available tools can find
    > all types of malware, but the ones I suggest, if used together, go a
    > long ways toward that end. It also helps to try a different virus
    > scanner or three. F-Prot is one that is free and good for this purpose.
    >
    > Beware, though, of any anti-malware scanners or "fixit" tools that don't
    > come well-recommended by groups such as this one. There's an awful lot
    > of "rogue" applications that claim to scan for and remove malware but
    > which are actually malware installers in disguise.
    >
    > My Clean Boot article also introduces you to MSCONFIG if you aren't
    > already familiar with it. MSCONFIG can be used to disable optional
    > background apps, to see if the offending process is one of those.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gary,
    > >
    > > I didn't install any "BugToaster" from.
    > >
    > > james
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Have you installed "BugToaster" from
    > > > http://www.bugtoaster.com/index.asp?
    > > >
    > > > If so, try uninstalling it. If not, or if uninstalling doesn't help,
    > > > post back.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > > >
    > > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > in
    > > > module

    > at
    > any
    > > > key to

    All what have done? Have you performed a "clean boot" startup, with
    nothing running in the background, and then (carefully) gone surfing to
    a safe site, just to test?

    In addition to the suggestion from Haggis, I would also consider the
    possibilities of firewall or anti-virus or other background security app
    being involved. You have to be careful when testing for that, though,
    since turning them off can put your system more at risk

    If all tests are negative, then run IE Repair from the Tools menu of
    MSINFO32. If still no luck, consider a full reinstallation of IE. Any
    further advice would be greatly enhanced by giving us some background on
    your system. Make/model, whether Win98 or Win98SE, what browser, what
    major background apps--what antivirus, etc.

    --

    > All i have done. Still appear the same message...
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > OK, well that's one possibility taken care of... Maybe...
    > >
    > > Next step is to rule out malware. See the articles in my signature,
    > > starting with the one on Security. None of the available tools can
    find
    > > all types of malware, but the ones I suggest, if used together, go a
    > > long ways toward that end. It also helps to try a different virus
    > > scanner or three. F-Prot is one that is free and good for this
    purpose.

    > > Beware, though, of any anti-malware scanners or "fixit" tools that
    don't
    > > come well-recommended by groups such as this one. There's an awful
    lot
    > > of "rogue" applications that claim to scan for and remove malware
    but
    > > which are actually malware installers in disguise.
    > >
    > > My Clean Boot article also introduces you to MSCONFIG if you aren't
    > > already familiar with it. MSCONFIG can be used to disable optional
    > > background apps, to see if the offending process is one of those.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Gary,
    > > >
    > > > I didn't install any "BugToaster" from.
    > > >
    > > > james

    > > in

    > > at
    Press
    > > any

    PS: Do a Find on DW15.

    What comes up, and where are it/they located in your system?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]

    >> OK, well that's one possibility taken care of... Maybe...
    >>
    >> Next step is to rule out malware. See the articles in my signature,
    >> starting with the one on Security. None of the available tools can find
    >> all types of malware, but the ones I suggest, if used together, go a
    >> long ways toward that end. It also helps to try a different virus
    >> scanner or three. F-Prot is one that is free and good for this purpose.
    >>
    >> Beware, though, of any anti-malware scanners or "fixit" tools that don't
    >> come well-recommended by groups such as this one. There's an awful lot
    >> of "rogue" applications that claim to scan for and remove malware but
    >> which are actually malware installers in disguise.
    >>
    >> My Clean Boot article also introduces you to MSCONFIG if you aren't
    >> already familiar with it. MSCONFIG can be used to disable optional
    >> background apps, to see if the offending process is one of those.

    the only other error i have seen relating to this is a random memory failure

    try a memory tester

    DocMemory
    www.simmtester.com
    MemTest86

    http://www.memtest86.com/ (Suggest you might want to try the ISO version
    if you have a CD Burner.)
    Windows Memory Tester

    Windows Memory Diagnostic
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    DW.exe and/or DW15.exe is included with IE6, and is used for error reporting. It is
    also included with OfficeXP. See this article for how to disable it:

    Description and Availability: Internet Explorer Error Reporting:
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=276550
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ie/6/all/reskit/en-us/part5/c21ie6rk.mspx
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in module
    > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    >
    > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
    > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any key to
    > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Good find! I wasn't finding anything quickly, but this'll teach me to
    remember to include the extension when searching Google, 8<|

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > DW.exe and/or DW15.exe is included with IE6, and is used for error
    reporting. It is
    > also included with OfficeXP. See this article for how to disable it:
    >
    > Description and Availability: Internet Explorer Error Reporting:
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=276550
    > and

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ie/6/all/reskit/en-us/part5/c21ie6rk.mspx
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in
    module
    > > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    > >
    > > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
    > > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any
    key to
    > > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Yes, been watching this thread... I rec'd an error message sometime back on
    DW15... DW15, what process is that??
    I found (2) instances of this .exe on my puter, appears WM Player, series 9
    also uses it and I found Microsoft to be the vendor when I checked
    properties on both. The version in C:\Programs\WMPlayer is a newer version
    10.0.4109, named dw15.exe; whereas the version in C:\Programs\Internet
    Explorer is 10.0.2930, named Dw15.

    Star

    > DW.exe and/or DW15.exe is included with IE6, and is used for error
    reporting. It is
    > also included with OfficeXP. See this article for how to disable it:
    >
    > Description and Availability: Internet Explorer Error Reporting:
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=276550
    > and

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ie/6/all/reskit/en-us/part5/c21ie6rk.mspx
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in
    module
    > > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    > >
    > > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
    > > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any key
    > > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    I think it will turn up without the extension, FWIW.
    I've had that in my canned responses for a long while. I'm not sure when MS
    replaced DW.exe with DW15.exe, but I would not doubt that they did so to distinguish
    the tool from the malware named Downloadware, which also uses a file named DW.exe.
    --

    > Good find! I wasn't finding anything quickly, but this'll teach me to
    > remember to include the extension when searching Google, 8<|
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    > > DW.exe and/or DW15.exe is included with IE6, and is used for error
    > reporting. It is
    > > also included with OfficeXP. See this article for how to disable it:
    > >
    > > Description and Availability: Internet Explorer Error Reporting:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=276550
    > > and

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ie/6/all/reskit/en-us/part5/c21ie6rk.mspx
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I received error message "DW15 caused a general protection fault in
    > module
    > > > KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075U2" while surf net using IE.
    > > >
    > > > After i press enter it show me "A fatal execption OE has occurred at
    > > > 016F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated. Press any
    > key to
    > > > terminate the current application." Anyway to solve this problem?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

Internet Explorer Microsoft Error Message Windows