MSGSRV32 ERROR MESSAGE DURING STARTUP on a Windows 98SE Sy..

Recently, I get the following error message during startup on my Win98SE
system: MSGSRV32 caused a segment not present fault in MSGSRV32.EXE at
0001:00000026. I have searched the knowledge bases of Microsoft and various
other tech help sites without success. I have checked problems listed in
various forums without success. I have found some articles on MSGSRV32
problems, but none that are specific to the above error message. I have no
viruses, no malware or spyware on the computer (at least don't find any with
Norton Antivirus, Spywareblaster, Spybot, Ad-aware, etc.). I operate behind a
hardware router and also have ZoneAlarm on my computer. Also having problems
getting into safe mode since this started. I have replaced MSGSRV32.EXE
several times, and problem seems to go away for a few days, then comes back.
It doesn't always manifest itself on evey startup. Anyone ever seen this
before or have any ideas on what's causing this and how to solve it? Thanks
in advance for any help.
5 answers Last reply
More about msgsrv32 error message startup windows 98se

    At what point during the startup does the error occur. You might try a
    Logged boot to see if that shows anything after an unsuccessful boot,
    and you should run a Step-by-Step boot to see at what point the failure
    occurs.

    Problem with that latter is that I suspect you will incur the error as
    often, even, as during normal startups. I say this because it *sounds*
    like a hardware issue. MSGSVR32 is just what it sounds like--a message
    server, which carries messages from one component to another. Might be a
    problem on the sending side, might be a problem on the receiving side.
    The error message results from the receiver not being able to process
    the message, and, not knowing where the message came from, or why the
    receiver can't handle the message, the system blames the messenger. If a
    driver is bad, or if it's a problem with incompatible software modules,
    it will usually be 100% repeatable. But if the issue is hardware which
    is subject to intermittent failure for whatever reason, then you will
    see this kind of broad effect.

    In short, suspect a hardware failure. A Step-by-Step diagnostic might
    actually prevent the error if the problem is due to some hardware
    component needing more time to warm up than it used to.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "denisdev" <denisdev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently, I get the following error message during startup on my
    Win98SE
    > system: MSGSRV32 caused a segment not present fault in MSGSRV32.EXE
    at
    > 0001:00000026. I have searched the knowledge bases of Microsoft and
    various
    > other tech help sites without success. I have checked problems listed
    in
    > various forums without success. I have found some articles on MSGSRV32
    > problems, but none that are specific to the above error message. I
    have no
    > viruses, no malware or spyware on the computer (at least don't find
    any with
    > Norton Antivirus, Spywareblaster, Spybot, Ad-aware, etc.). I operate
    behind a
    > hardware router and also have ZoneAlarm on my computer. Also having
    problems
    > getting into safe mode since this started. I have replaced
    MSGSRV32.EXE
    > several times, and problem seems to go away for a few days, then
    comes back.
    > It doesn't always manifest itself on evey startup. Anyone ever seen
    this
    > before or have any ideas on what's causing this and how to solve it?
    Thanks
    > in advance for any help.

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    Search "Segment Not Present"; Windows 98; This Product First; Full Text;
    All Words; Anytime; produced many, including...

    • Error Message When You Start Your Computer: Msgsrv32 Caused Segment
    Not Present Fault in Module Setupx.dll
    (306618) - When you start your computer, you may receive the following
    error message: MSGSRV32 caused segment not present fault in module
    SETUPX.DLL You may then be unable to start your computer in either Safe
    mode or Normal mode. This behavior can occur if...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306618

    "Invalid Page Fault in Module USER.EXE" Error Message After You Install
    a Scanner
    (305652) - When you restart your computer after installing a scanner,
    you may receive one or more of the following error messages: MPREXE
    caused an Invalid Page Fault in module USER.EXE at 0010:000000d7.
    MSGSRV32 caused a segment not present fault in module...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305652

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > At what point during the startup does the error occur. You might try a
    > Logged boot to see if that shows anything after an unsuccessful boot,
    > and you should run a Step-by-Step boot to see at what point the failure
    > occurs.

    The problem occurs at end of startup just before the desktop should appear -
    have blue background and cursor, and then the error message appears. Have to
    do Ctrl/Alt/Delete to get out and restart the system. Error is random, and
    have not been able to catch it with a logged boot or step-by-step boot.
    Logged boot info looks ok without the error occurring. I can boot normally
    into Windows 98SE with very infrequent occurrences of the problem. System
    seems stable if normal boot goes ok, no problems with applications, Internet
    Explorer (although I have gotten an error message a time or 2 that told me
    IExplorer encountered an error and had to close, then everything goes on
    normally like nothing happened), and no slow-downs of any kind noticed.
    AfterI did a Clean Boot and then tried getting into Safe Mode without
    success, the Twain driver path for my Epson scanner got messed up and I had
    to re-install the driver (that's the second time in the last week that has
    happened - is this a clue?). I have tested RAM as a possible culprit of my
    problems, but have found no errors using MemTest after running several hours.
    I checked my CMOS settings, looked at the Msdos.sys file (couldn't see
    anything wrong, but not sure what everything should look like either), don't
    have a compressed drive, so no DriveSpace issues. Don't see anything wrong in
    Device Manager either, so don't know exactly how to pinpoint hardware if
    indeed that is the problem.

    Biggest problem I'm having now and what's worrying me most is that I cannot
    boot into Safe Mode at all now. It gets to where it should appear, and my
    harddrive starts making noises I don't normally hear, then the cusror freezes
    and everything gets quiet. Have to double-click Ctrl/Alt/Delete to get out, I
    let it startup again, get a message that "windows did not finish loading on
    pervious attempt, use safe mode." I do so, scandisk starts, then it goes into
    Safe Mode. When I move the mouse, a funny clicking noise occurs. Everything
    else freezes, can't do anything, can't start applications, nothing. I
    double-click Ctrl/Alt/Delete and get blue screen with message "System Busy -
    system is busy waiting for the Close Program dialog box to be displayed"
    which never happens, and at this point have to reset or power off to get out
    of it because when I press any key as it says to do, or use Ctrl/Alt/Delete
    at this point, I get a message "System is either busy or has become
    unstable...", and at that point the only way out is reset or power off,
    hitting another key or using Ctrl/Alt/Delete won't work.

    I would like to find a solution to this without having to reinstall Windows
    98 because there is a lot of stuff on this computer - it has been virtually
    trouble-free for 4.5 years - but I'm not holding my breath. Also, I believe
    there could be a hardware problem or incompatability as you suggested, but
    don't know how to tell for sure. The hard drive is a SCSI which you would
    expect to last up to 8 years, but you never know, I guess. I added a 4-port
    USB buss, and connected a new sandisk reader and new Epson Perfection 4180
    Photo scanner to it a couple of months ago, but no problems were apparent
    then. Could also have screwed up the registry, as I did a cleanup with
    RegClean, EasyCleaner, and Norton System Works 2000 WinDoctor just before all
    this started, so could have messed something up - I did try to be selective,
    but I also still have a lot to learn with regard to the computer, and even
    though I have fixed a lot of problems myself, I'm still no expert by any
    means. Probably time to reformat and start over (hours of work I'm not
    looking forward to, and not much experience with that either-have only done
    it once 3.5 years ago with help), but I'm hoping someone has an idea or 2
    before I resort to that. Any help will be very much appreciated - thanks in
    advance for any help.

    "PCR" wrote:

    > http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    > Search "Segment Not Present"; Windows 98; This Product First; Full Text;
    > All Words; Anytime; produced many, including...
    >
    > • Error Message When You Start Your Computer: Msgsrv32 Caused Segment
    > Not Present Fault in Module Setupx.dll
    > (306618) - When you start your computer, you may receive the following
    > error message: MSGSRV32 caused segment not present fault in module
    > SETUPX.DLL You may then be unable to start your computer in either Safe
    > mode or Normal mode. This behavior can occur if...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306618
    >
    > "Invalid Page Fault in Module USER.EXE" Error Message After You Install
    > a Scanner
    > (305652) - When you restart your computer after installing a scanner,
    > you may receive one or more of the following error messages: MPREXE
    > caused an Invalid Page Fault in module USER.EXE at 0010:000000d7.
    > MSGSRV32 caused a segment not present fault in module...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305652

    Thanks for responding - have already been to the 2 references you gave -
    neither are applicable although I tried the solutions given anyway to no
    avail. I've been just about everywhere you can find anything on MSGSRV32, I
    think Gary is right in what he says, it is just a symptom of a problem that
    is not that apparent - really doesn't tell you much when you get the message.
    I keep restarting with logging and step-by-step in hopes that the problem
    will manifest itself and give a clue as to where it is coming from, but my
    bigger concern now is what is preventing me from starting up in Safe Mode
    while normal mode seems ok except when I get the MSGSRV32 error which is
    infrequent and random. I don't know if the 2 problems (MSGSRV32 and Safe Mode
    Problem) are related or not, and having no luck tracing the safe mode problem
    at all. Hope some guru out there has seen this and knows what to do short of
    reinstalling windows or having to reformat and start fresh. A reinstall
    without reformatting might not work if the registry is corrupt.

    Thanks again for trying to help.

    Sounds like, especially reading what you wrote to Terhune, you have
    serious problems & should begin to backup important apps & data. Would
    you like a list of my backup apps? How about Glee's list of low-level
    HDD diagnostic apps?

    (1) Hold F5 as you boot to go directly to Safe Mode.
    (2) Hold CTRL as you boot for the Startup Menu.
    (3) Turn on the Startup Menu, at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Advanced
    button".
    (4) This is about all I could find nearly relevant at
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "Safe Mode"; Windows 98; Exact Phrase; Title Only.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180902&Product=w98
    How to Start a Windows 98-Based Computer in Safe Mode
    (180902) - This article describes how to start a Windows 98-based
    computer in Safe mode.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195241&Product=w98
    Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
    (195241) - After you attempt to start your computer in safe mode by
    holding down the CTRL key, or by using the System Configuration utility
    to enable the Startup menu, your computer may not respond to any
    keyboard commands, or you may receive the following error...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196249&Product=w98
    Unable to Start Windows 98 in Safe Mode with Network Support
    (196249) - When you start Windows 98 by using the "/d:n" switch, for
    example, by typing "win /d:n" (without quotation marks), Windows 98 may
    appear to start in safe mode with network support, but you may not have
    network support or connectivity. Note that you...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179128&Product=w98
    No "Safe Mode with Network Support" Command in Windows 98
    (179128) - When you start your computer and view the Windows 98 Startup
    menu, the "Safe mode with network support" command may be missing.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262960&Product=w98
    No Windows 98 Safe Mode Option in a Dual Install with Windows 2000
    (262960) - When you use a dual-boot system that includes Windows 2000
    and Microsoft Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), there is no
    option for accessing Windows 98 Safe mode. When you press F8, Windows
    2000 Safe mode is your only option.

    --

    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    | > Search "Segment Not Present"; Windows 98; This Product First; Full
    Text;
    | > All Words; Anytime; produced many, including...
    | >
    | > • Error Message When You Start Your Computer: Msgsrv32 Caused
    Segment
    | > Not Present Fault in Module Setupx.dll
    | > (306618) - When you start your computer, you may receive the
    following
    | > error message: MSGSRV32 caused segment not present fault in module
    | > SETUPX.DLL You may then be unable to start your computer in either
    Safe
    | > mode or Normal mode. This behavior can occur if...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306618
    | >
    | > "Invalid Page Fault in Module USER.EXE" Error Message After You
    Install
    | > a Scanner
    | > (305652) - When you restart your computer after installing a
    scanner,
    | > you may receive one or more of the following error messages: MPREXE
    | > caused an Invalid Page Fault in module USER.EXE at 0010:000000d7.
    | > MSGSRV32 caused a segment not present fault in module...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305652
    | >

    | Thanks for responding - have already been to the 2 references you
    gave -
    | neither are applicable although I tried the solutions given anyway to
    no
    | avail. I've been just about everywhere you can find anything on
    MSGSRV32, I
    | think Gary is right in what he says, it is just a symptom of a problem
    that
    | is not that apparent - really doesn't tell you much when you get the
    message.
    | I keep restarting with logging and step-by-step in hopes that the
    problem
    | will manifest itself and give a clue as to where it is coming from,
    but my
    | bigger concern now is what is preventing me from starting up in Safe
    Mode
    | while normal mode seems ok except when I get the MSGSRV32 error which
    is
    | infrequent and random. I don't know if the 2 problems (MSGSRV32 and
    Safe Mode
    | Problem) are related or not, and having no luck tracing the safe mode
    problem
    | at all. Hope some guru out there has seen this and knows what to do
    short of
    | reinstalling windows or having to reformat and start fresh. A
    reinstall
    | without reformatting might not work if the registry is corrupt.
    |
    | Thanks again for trying to help.

Error Message Windows 98SE Microsoft Windows