Download for fixing Win 98se shutdown hanging?

I used Windows 98se years ago and I seem to remember some
kind of patch that fixed Windows shutdown problem.
Does anyone know if this patch is still available?
It fixed the problem right away. I have no idea where to
find this patch or what the name of the file is.

Thanks

Nancy
9 answers Last reply
More about download fixing 98se shutdown hanging

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/wucritical/q273017/default.asp

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "Nancy" <weewee37@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I used Windows 98se years ago and I seem to remember some
    > kind of patch that fixed Windows shutdown problem.
    > Does anyone know if this patch is still available?
    > It fixed the problem right away. I have no idea where to
    > find this patch or what the name of the file is.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nancy

    Before applying the Shutdown Supplement, suggest you visit this page,
    first.
    www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    The Shutdown Supplement *may* fix your shutdown problem, but it may not,
    and in either case, it may cause other problems. It's always best to
    leave it as a last resort.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Nancy" <weewee37@hotmail.com> wrote in news:esxvnRBPFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

    > I used Windows 98se years ago and I seem to remember some
    > kind of patch that fixed Windows shutdown problem.
    > Does anyone know if this patch is still available?
    > It fixed the problem right away. I have no idea where to
    > find this patch or what the name of the file is.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nancy

    Google "98 shutdown fix download"; 155000 hits in 0.29 seconds.

    First one: <http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp>

    Seconded.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Before applying the Shutdown Supplement, suggest you visit this page,
    > first.
    > www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
    >
    > The Shutdown Supplement *may* fix your shutdown problem, but it may not,
    > and in either case, it may cause other problems. It's always best to
    > leave it as a last resort.
    >

    > "Nancy" <weewee37@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I used Windows 98se years ago and I seem to remember some
    > > kind of patch that fixed Windows shutdown problem.
    > > Does anyone know if this patch is still available?
    > > It fixed the problem right away. I have no idea where to
    > > find this patch or what the name of the file is.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Nancy

    third ? <g>

    > Seconded.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >> Before applying the Shutdown Supplement, suggest you visit this page,
    >> first.
    >> www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
    >>
    >> The Shutdown Supplement *may* fix your shutdown problem, but it may not,
    >> and in either case, it may cause other problems. It's always best to
    >> leave it as a last resort.
    >>

    >> "Nancy" <weewee37@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > I used Windows 98se years ago and I seem to remember some
    >> > kind of patch that fixed Windows shutdown problem.
    >> > Does anyone know if this patch is still available?
    >> > It fixed the problem right away. I have no idea where to
    >> > find this patch or what the name of the file is.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Nancy

    fourth
    I have a 98se that has all the problems they supposedly fixed.
    The fixes were included in the HP OEM install of June 2000.
    I don't know how they determined they were needed.
    --
    mae

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message news:egQtQsFPFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | third ? <g>
    |
    | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Seconded.
    | > --
    | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    | >
    | > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx
    | > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    | >> Before applying the Shutdown Supplement, suggest you visit this page,
    | >> first.
    | >> www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
    | >>
    | >> The Shutdown Supplement *may* fix your shutdown problem, but it may not,
    | >> and in either case, it may cause other problems. It's always best to
    | >> leave it as a last resort.
    | >>

    | >> "Nancy" <weewee37@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Here are two links for two different fixes in case one doesn't work. I
    guess the official Microsoft one is the one to try first:

    http://tinyurl.com/jeh

    or

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6794,00.asp

    --
    pip22

    ....and I'll take the fifth.....
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    fourth
    I have a 98se that has all the problems they supposedly fixed.
    The fixes were included in the HP OEM install of June 2000.
    I don't know how they determined they were needed.
    --
    mae

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    | third ? <g>
    |
    | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Seconded.
    | > --
    | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    | >
    | > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx
    | > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    | >> Before applying the Shutdown Supplement, suggest you visit this page,
    | >> first.
    | >> www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
    | >>
    | >> The Shutdown Supplement *may* fix your shutdown problem, but it may not,
    | >> and in either case, it may cause other problems. It's always best to
    | >> leave it as a last resort.
    | >>

    | >> "Nancy" <weewee37@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Thank you Pip22
    That is exactly what I was looking for!

    Nancy
    __________________________
    "pip22" wrote in message ...

    > Here are two links for two different fixes in case one
    doesn't work. I
    > guess the official Microsoft one is the one to try
    first:

    > http://tinyurl.com/jeh
    >
    > or

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,67