tv/video adapter and internet problems

Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc everything
fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but pinging
IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.

I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do with
reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.

Help very much appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about video adapter internet problems

    "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
    > everything
    > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
    > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
    > pinging
    > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
    >
    > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
    > with
    > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
    > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
    >
    > Help very much appreciated.

    try this

    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    I'm afraid that didn't work, I'm looking for a way to remove and reinstall
    Winsock2. I found some more information on that website as to how I can
    remove Winsock, by deleting it's Registry entries but I've been unable to
    reinstall Winsock

    > I'm afraid that didn't work, I'm looking for a way to remove and reinstall
    > Winsock2. I found some more information on that website as to how I can
    > remove Winsock, by deleting it's Registry entries but I've been unable to
    > reinstall Winsock
    >
    > "Haggis" wrote:
    >

    >> "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
    >> > everything
    >> > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
    >> > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
    >> > pinging
    >> > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
    >> >
    >> > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
    >> > with
    >> > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
    >> > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
    >> >
    >> > Help very much appreciated.
    >>
    >> try this
    >>
    >> http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    that is what that file is supposed to fix (i've used it)

    you can try going to control panel > network and removing all entries
    (adapters , protocols ,clients) reboot and reinstall (network entries) ,
    that may work for you

    I've run across the same problem and just as you, can't find anything about
    what it is, what's it for etc. etc. I have the same problem, using video-in
    kills internet thru-put.

    "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
    everything
    > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
    > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
    pinging
    > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
    >
    > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
    with
    > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
    > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
    >
    > Help very much appreciated.

    PJP, do you think this is security protocol for 98SE and it is the same
    reason why 98SE does not have cordless keyboards or cordless mice because of
    security reasons or is it simply the lack of programming and complexity of
    98SE or some other reason. <???>

    "pjp" wrote:

    > I've run across the same problem and just as you, can't find anything about
    > what it is, what's it for etc. etc. I have the same problem, using video-in
    > kills internet thru-put.
    >
    > "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
    > everything
    > > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
    > > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
    > pinging
    > > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
    > >
    > > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to do
    > with
    > > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
    > > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
    > >
    > > Help very much appreciated.

    I have no idea. Doubt it has anything to do with wireless anything. Seems
    more like it inserts itself into the tcp/ip "chain" somehow. All MS says
    about it refers to XP and how it disappears upon reboot. Well that doesn't
    happen under 98SE, e.g. it remains. Also manually removing it from Network
    Components doesn't "cure" whatever screw-up it causes.

    Just pisses me off MS has so little to say about it. Can't even find out
    what it's "supposed" to do!

    One of my pet hates about Windows, e.g. install something and find more than
    JUST that got installed. Can't trust it with 3rd party software as much as
    you can't trust it with MS's own software. One of the big reasons I seldom
    and then very reluctantly use Windows Update.

    > PJP, do you think this is security protocol for 98SE and it is the same
    > reason why 98SE does not have cordless keyboards or cordless mice because
    of
    > security reasons or is it simply the lack of programming and complexity of
    > 98SE or some other reason. <???>
    >
    > "pjp" wrote:
    >
    > > I've run across the same problem and just as you, can't find anything
    about
    > > what it is, what's it for etc. etc. I have the same problem, using
    video-in
    > > kills internet thru-put.
    > >
    > > "ellonweb" <ellonweb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just installed a webcam, worked fine. Rebooted after install etc
    > > everything
    > > > fine. Next time computer booted up, new hardware detected "Microsoft
    > > > TV/Video Adapter" which installed. Internet now no longer works, but
    > > pinging
    > > > IPs in DOS does. Suggests only a DNS problem.
    > > >
    > > > I've had this problem before, last time managed to find something to
    do
    > > with
    > > > reregistering winsock or something (not totally sure) but I definately
    > > > remember having to make changes with Registry Editor.
    > > >
    > > > Help very much appreciated.

Microsoft Internet Windows