PCI Universal Serial Bus Driver for PCMCIA Combo card

I am installing a PCMCIA combo card to my 5-year-old laptop. The card has
inputs for USB 2.0 and Firewire and slots into one of the PCMCIA slots.
The installation asks for a PCI Universal Serial Bus driver.

I assume that I can find such a driver on one of the cds that came with the
laptop. However, as the laptop has a USB 1.1 slot, will this driver be
the correct one or would I need a driver that was written with USB 2.0 in
mind?
5 answers Last reply
More about universal serial driver pcmcia combo card

    "Martin" <vdp4r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am installing a PCMCIA combo card to my 5-year-old laptop. The card has
    > inputs for USB 2.0 and Firewire and slots into one of the PCMCIA slots.
    > The installation asks for a PCI Universal Serial Bus driver.
    >
    > I assume that I can find such a driver on one of the cds that came with
    > the
    > laptop. However, as the laptop has a USB 1.1 slot, will this driver be
    > the correct one or would I need a driver that was written with USB 2.0 in
    > mind?

    that should be on of the windows cd....if the machine is compatible with USB
    2.0 it will work at that speed ..if not it should still work at 1.1

    Windows 98/98SE does *not* have any native drivers for USB 2.0. The card may
    operate with the native USB drivers as a USB 1.1 card, but if you want USB 2.0
    functionality, you must install a USB 2.0 driver from the manufacturer of the card.
    They may or may not supply a driver for Win98SE. See if there is a 98SE driver on
    the disc that came with the USB card; otherwise, check at the card manufacturer's
    web site.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Martin" <vdp4r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am installing a PCMCIA combo card to my 5-year-old laptop. The card has
    > inputs for USB 2.0 and Firewire and slots into one of the PCMCIA slots.
    > The installation asks for a PCI Universal Serial Bus driver.
    >
    > I assume that I can find such a driver on one of the cds that came with the
    > laptop. However, as the laptop has a USB 1.1 slot, will this driver be
    > the correct one or would I need a driver that was written with USB 2.0 in
    > mind?

    Yep, in ideal circumstances, Win98/98SE should install the native USB 1.1
    drivers. Then, the user has to install the USB 2.0 driver package from
    another source.

    He mentioned Firewire as well. This is native in 98SE (not 98) with certain
    mfrs Firewire chips for the driver install, but not all. There's faster a
    version of Firewire out. Does this call for a special driver? Not trying
    to put you on the spot, the question just occurred to me, and thought you
    might have experience with it.
    > Windows 98/98SE does *not* have any native drivers for USB 2.0. The card
    may
    > operate with the native USB drivers as a USB 1.1 card, but if you want USB
    2.0
    > functionality, you must install a USB 2.0 driver from the manufacturer of
    the card.
    > They may or may not supply a driver for Win98SE. See if there is a 98SE
    driver on
    > the disc that came with the USB card; otherwise, check at the card
    manufacturer's
    > web site.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "Martin" <vdp4r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I am installing a PCMCIA combo card to my 5-year-old laptop. The card
    has
    > > inputs for USB 2.0 and Firewire and slots into one of the PCMCIA slots.
    > > The installation asks for a PCI Universal Serial Bus driver.
    > >
    > > I assume that I can find such a driver on one of the cds that came with
    the
    > > laptop. However, as the laptop has a USB 1.1 slot, will this driver
    be
    > > the correct one or would I need a driver that was written with USB 2.0
    in
    > > mind?

    Sorry Dave, I have next to no experience with Firewire, so I couldn't tell you much
    about it. I would have to start googling the subject, or ask another MVP or user
    who has more Firewire experience. Let me know if you find out, and I will do the
    same. :-)
    --

    > Yep, in ideal circumstances, Win98/98SE should install the native USB 1.1
    > drivers. Then, the user has to install the USB 2.0 driver package from
    > another source.
    >
    > He mentioned Firewire as well. This is native in 98SE (not 98) with certain
    > mfrs Firewire chips for the driver install, but not all. There's faster a
    > version of Firewire out. Does this call for a special driver? Not trying
    > to put you on the spot, the question just occurred to me, and thought you
    > might have experience with it.
    > > Windows 98/98SE does *not* have any native drivers for USB 2.0. The card
    > may
    > > operate with the native USB drivers as a USB 1.1 card, but if you want USB
    > 2.0
    > > functionality, you must install a USB 2.0 driver from the manufacturer of
    > the card.
    > > They may or may not supply a driver for Win98SE. See if there is a 98SE
    > driver on
    > > the disc that came with the USB card; otherwise, check at the card
    > manufacturer's
    > > web site.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Martin" <vdp4r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am installing a PCMCIA combo card to my 5-year-old laptop. The card
    > has
    > > > inputs for USB 2.0 and Firewire and slots into one of the PCMCIA slots.
    > > > The installation asks for a PCI Universal Serial Bus driver.
    > > >
    > > > I assume that I can find such a driver on one of the cds that came with
    > the
    > > > laptop. However, as the laptop has a USB 1.1 slot, will this driver
    > be
    > > > the correct one or would I need a driver that was written with USB 2.0
    > in
    > > > mind?

    Please keep me informed as well since I primarily use USB 2.0 but plan to ask
    for an IPOD Mini on my birthday which is coming soon from my parents and I
    hope to be able to learn more about the Apple side of the equation. After I
    am satisfied with that then I hope to learn more about the Unix/Linux side of
    the equation. All the while I plan to continue examining and throughly
    learning 98SE, MS-DOS, and even <groan> XP SP2. My next step before Firewire
    is to learn about batch files and how they are used in 98SE.

Laptops Bus PCMCIA PCI USB Windows