A batch file or brain problem?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 9, 2005 3:13:53 PM

Hi folks, I'm having a problem with a simple batch file. The OS is Win 98 SE
if that really matters.

Here is the file I put together, its hardly advanced.

cd.
copy c:\kingst~1\kingst~1.mdb c:\ktstore
copy c:\eye\kingst~1.mdb c:\kingst~1
cd\kingst~1
start kingst~2.mdb
copy c:\kingst~1\kingst~1.mdb c:\eye
copy c:\ktstore\kingst~1.mdb c:\kingst~1
exit

The folders that exist are
C:\eye
C:\Kingston upon thames
C:\ktstore

Files are, static in kingston upon thames is kingston tn code.mdb

The files which move about in my batch file is kingston data.mdb

The batch file starts with an alternate version of the latter in eye, and
the normal version in kingston upon thames.

What is supposed to occur is the standard version is copied to the ktstore
folder, then the copy of the non standard data is copied over the standard
one in kingston upon thames.

Then the database is run and you should then see the non standard data.

On exit, the non standard data goes to Eye, and the standard file is copied
back to Kingston upon thames again, thus preserving the main data file. The
batch file thus should allow two versions of the database to be accessed by
a fixed code file via Access.

Well, what in fact occurs, despite the on screen text claiming all the 1
file copied status, is that the file actually opened in the database is
still the old data file with the standard data.

I'm confused.. some would say it serves me right, but what am I doing wrong
here?

Brian

Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
April 9, 2005 3:13:54 PM

"Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:RNO5e.8117$G8.2045@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi folks, I'm having a problem with a simple batch file.

> cd.
> copy c:\kingst~1\kingst~1.mdb c:\ktstore
> copy c:\eye\kingst~1.mdb c:\kingst~1
> cd\kingst~1
> start kingst~2.mdb
> copy c:\kingst~1\kingst~1.mdb c:\eye
> copy c:\ktstore\kingst~1.mdb c:\kingst~1
> exit

Try adding the "/w[ait]" switch to the start command. This will cause
start to not return until the database program returns. What I'm guessing
is happening is that by the time the database program loads the file, your
batch has already copied back the original.

start /w kingst~2.mdb

> What is supposed to occur is the standard version is copied to the ktstore folder, then the copy of the non standard data is
> copied over the standard one in kingston upon thames.
>
> Then the database is run and you should then see the non standard data.
>
> On exit, the non standard data goes to Eye, and the standard file is copied back to Kingston upon thames again, thus preserving
> the main data file. The batch file thus should allow two versions of the database to be accessed by a fixed code file via Access.
>
> Well, what in fact occurs, despite the on screen text claiming all the 1 file copied status, is that the file actually opened in
> the database is still the old data file with the standard data.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 3:13:54 PM

batch file problem
the OS proceeds to the next line of the batch file while your database
program is loading and has already completed the last copy function before
the files are loaded.

change
start kingst~2.mdb

start /w kingst~2.mdb

the batch file will wait for you to exit the database before it continues
and restores the original data

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi folks, I'm having a problem with a simple batch file. The OS is Win 98
SE
> if that really matters.
>
> Here is the file I put together, its hardly advanced.
>

> cd.
> copy c:\kingst~1\kingst~1.mdb c:\ktstore
> copy c:\eye\kingst~1.mdb c:\kingst~1
> cd\kingst~1
> start kingst~2.mdb
> copy c:\kingst~1\kingst~1.mdb c:\eye
> copy c:\ktstore\kingst~1.mdb c:\kingst~1
> exit
>
> The folders that exist are
> C:\eye
> C:\Kingston upon thames
> C:\ktstore
>
> Files are, static in kingston upon thames is kingston tn code.mdb
>
> The files which move about in my batch file is kingston data.mdb
>
> The batch file starts with an alternate version of the latter in eye, and
> the normal version in kingston upon thames.
>
> What is supposed to occur is the standard version is copied to the ktstore
> folder, then the copy of the non standard data is copied over the
standard
> one in kingston upon thames.
>
> Then the database is run and you should then see the non standard data.
>
> On exit, the non standard data goes to Eye, and the standard file is
copied
> back to Kingston upon thames again, thus preserving the main data file.
The
> batch file thus should allow two versions of the database to be accessed
by
> a fixed code file via Access.
>
> Well, what in fact occurs, despite the on screen text claiming all the 1
> file copied status, is that the file actually opened in the database is
> still the old data file with the standard data.
>
> I'm confused.. some would say it serves me right, but what am I doing
wrong
> here?
>
> Brian
>

> --
>
> Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
> graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
> Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

__________________________________

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:07:56 PM

Thanks both, I did sort of figure out what was going on by putting pause
in to strategic points, but if the wait switch works, I'll use that instead.
I must have skipped that part of the batch file info...:-)

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> copied
>> back to Kingston upon thames again, thus preserving the main data file.
> The
>> batch file thus should allow two versions of the database to be accessed
> by
>> a fixed code file via Access.
>>
>> Well, what in fact occurs, despite the on screen text claiming all the 1
>> file copied status, is that the file actually opened in the database is
>> still the old data file with the standard data.
>>
>> I'm confused.. some would say it serves me right, but what am I doing
> wrong
>> here?
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
>> graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:07:57 PM

for any windows program you can run from a dos window, try
prog_name /?
it mostly gives available switches

--

> [...]
> >> back to Kingston upon thames again, thus preserving the main data
file.
> > The
> >> batch file thus should allow two versions of the database to be
accessed
> > by
> >> a fixed code file via Access.
> >>
> >> Well, what in fact occurs, despite the on screen text claiming all the
1
> >> file copied status, is that the file actually opened in the database is
> >> still the old data file with the standard data.
> >>
> >> I'm confused.. some would say it serves me right, but what am I doing
> > wrong
> >> here?
> >>
> >> Brian
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
> >> graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them

April 10, 2005 7:45:05 AM

I just wanted to thank AlmostBob for having all those websites up for the
convience of the consumer. Sure it does make for a longer post but it is
nice that someone out there cares for the little person. This topic is
fascinating to me because I am just starting to learn about batch files.
<smile>

!