new installation, why so slow - glee pls

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 9, 2005 8:43:01 AM

Recently installed w98se (have not been out to the 'internet' world yet) and
when I try to open / use the applicattion software like words, its open up
very slow. For example, when I double click on 'my computer', its take a
while for it to open.

I am using MMX pro with Maxtor N256 model 90648D3 as the only pri master and
cd as sec slave.

glee, with ref to your post " 3/28/2005 5:25 PM PST Re: Cannot format a
network drive quote ""
Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not
be either of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to
set the drive to ATA/33 maximum.""
I have already extracted the files, the Powermax V4.21 on the diskette.
From here, how I do I use it? From this
link,http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e...
don't I loose all the data or have to install w98se again. Please adivice,
many thanks.
April 9, 2005 10:56:00 AM

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently installed w98se (have not been out to the 'internet' world yet)
> and
> when I try to open / use the applicattion software like words, its open up
> very slow. For example, when I double click on 'my computer', its take a
> while for it to open.
>
> I am using MMX pro with Maxtor N256 model 90648D3 as the only pri master
> and
> cd as sec slave.

how much RAM do you have?
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:37:01 PM

ram 64mb

"philo" wrote:

> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently installed w98se (have not been out to the 'internet' world yet)
> > and
> > when I try to open / use the applicattion software like words, its open up
> > very slow. For example, when I double click on 'my computer', its take a
> > while for it to open.
> >
> > I am using MMX pro with Maxtor N256 model 90648D3 as the only pri master
> > and
> > cd as sec slave.
> >

> how much RAM do you have?

Related resources
April 9, 2005 4:34:19 PM

> ram 64mb
>
> "philo" wrote:

well 64 megs should be enough for win98...
i don't know what apps you've installed...
but some virus checkers will slow down your machine a lot
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 4:34:20 PM

64 MB is right on the bottom of the scale for Win98SE, AFAIC. If there's
much in the way of background stuff loaded, I would assume that swapping
starts happening at the drop of a hat, and swapping=sloooow.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ram 64mb
> >
> > "philo" wrote:
> >

> well 64 megs should be enough for win98...
> i don't know what apps you've installed...
> but some virus checkers will slow down your machine a lot

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 4:42:54 PM

Jane,
If you have NAV installed open it, in Options > Misc uncheck "Enable Office
plugin".

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently installed w98se (have not been out to the 'internet' world yet) and
> when I try to open / use the applicattion software like words, its open up
> very slow. For example, when I double click on 'my computer', its take a
> while for it to open.
>
> I am using MMX pro with Maxtor N256 model 90648D3 as the only pri master and
> cd as sec slave.
>
> glee, with ref to your post " 3/28/2005 5:25 PM PST Re: Cannot format a
> network drive quote ""
> Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not
> be either of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to
> set the drive to ATA/33 maximum.""
> I have already extracted the files, the Powermax V4.21 on the diskette.
> From here, how I do I use it? From this
> link,http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e...
> don't I loose all the data or have to install w98se again. Please adivice,
> many thanks.

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:58:38 PM

Sorry, but apparently Powermax does not include any utility for limiting the drive
to ATA/33 or ATA/66. I thought it did, and perhaps at one time it did (or MaxBlast
or M.U.D.), but I do not see that utility in the recent versions. Western Digital's
Data Lifeguard tools used to include such a utility for W-D drives, and IIRC IBM
drives had a similar utility. The good news is that if you are booting up with the
drive and have successfully installed an operating system, you likely do not need
such a utility anyway. I suggested it when you were having difficulty accessing the
drive at all, and we were still looking for the reason.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently installed w98se (have not been out to the 'internet' world yet) and
> when I try to open / use the applicattion software like words, its open up
> very slow. For example, when I double click on 'my computer', its take a
> while for it to open.
>
> I am using MMX pro with Maxtor N256 model 90648D3 as the only pri master and
> cd as sec slave.
>
> glee, with ref to your post " 3/28/2005 5:25 PM PST Re: Cannot format a
> network drive quote ""
> Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not
> be either of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to
> set the drive to ATA/33 maximum.""
> I have already extracted the files, the Powermax V4.21 on the diskette.
> From here, how I do I use it? From this

link,http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e...
068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=
22
> don't I loose all the data or have to install w98se again. Please adivice,
> many thanks.

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:31:09 PM

Many thanks for all the responses. Firstly, the slowness unlikely due to
virus as I have not set up the internet. The programs loaded are from Offcie
Pro (Excel, Words etc), copy and paste method for Winzip, Ad-aware and
nothing else.

In the DM, under Disk drives- it has Maxtor, so I guess it has the correct
driver (if there is such as thing). I take it as slowness due to the fact its
reading/access from/to the hard disk is slow. Is that the correct
interpretation? Look forward for all your help to improve the performance,
thanks

"glee" wrote:

> Sorry, but apparently Powermax does not include any utility for limiting the drive
> to ATA/33 or ATA/66. I thought it did, and perhaps at one time it did (or MaxBlast
> or M.U.D.), but I do not see that utility in the recent versions. Western Digital's
> Data Lifeguard tools used to include such a utility for W-D drives, and IIRC IBM
> drives had a similar utility. The good news is that if you are booting up with the
> drive and have successfully installed an operating system, you likely do not need
> such a utility anyway. I suggested it when you were having difficulty accessing the
> drive at all, and we were still looking for the reason.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently installed w98se (have not been out to the 'internet' world yet) and
> > when I try to open / use the applicattion software like words, its open up
> > very slow. For example, when I double click on 'my computer', its take a
> > while for it to open.
> >
> > I am using MMX pro with Maxtor N256 model 90648D3 as the only pri master and
> > cd as sec slave.
> >
> > glee, with ref to your post " 3/28/2005 5:25 PM PST Re: Cannot format a
> > network drive quote ""
> > Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not
> > be either of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to
> > set the drive to ATA/33 maximum.""
> > I have already extracted the files, the Powermax V4.21 on the diskette.
> > From here, how I do I use it? From this
> >
> link,http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e...
> 068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=
> 22
> > don't I loose all the data or have to install w98se again. Please adivice,
> > many thanks.

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:35:15 AM

What version of Office Professional do you have installed? (97, 2000,XP?) The
FindFast or Search feature (depending on the version) could be responsible for some
of the system slowness.

OFF97: How to Disable the Find Fast Indexer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=158705

OFF2000: How to Turn Off the Find Fast Indexer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199787

OFFXP: Hard Disk Runs Continuously After You Install Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282106

It might also help to disable the Office StartUp app on a slower computer:

Frequently asked questions about the Office 2000 shortcut (OSA9.exe) in the Windows
Startup menu:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=210875

OFFICE XP: What Is the Osa.exe File and What Does It Do?:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290144

OFFICE 97: What Is the Office Startup Application (OSA) and What Does It Do?:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=165071

In Device Manager, tell us exactly what is shown for your hard disk drive. Also,
double-click the hard disk drive entry there, then click the Settings tab. Is there
a DMA checkbox available, and is it check-marked? I don't have your earlier thread
handy to check what model Maxtor drive you have, and if it supports DMA, but IIRC
your drive was recent enough to support the option.

Also in DM, what exactly is listed under Hard Disk Controllers category when you
expand it?

Additionally, switch from the device manager tab to the Performance tab in the
System control panel, and see if it states "configured for optimal performance".
--

!