Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Ram- pcr

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

hey PCR,
i got lots happened/happening with comp.

have had dual boot for weeks and now have 512 ram.
also have another 256 ram sitting in front of me if necessary
to add more; think i'll keep it clean and sealed til needed.

autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.

terhune tried to point it out that the 'rem' was something else,
but he was wrong......... i already knew what it was.

have done some editing here n' there including some registry stuff,
all is well and i expect no problems. ( unless my dog has pups,
then i'll have to feed em'.....LOL) (btw, how is dan?) (has the
canadian trained him better yet?)

dont lose that goolie sack pcr, keep on keeping on bud.

jj

pam says hi.

More about : ram pcr

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
news:uBMXGjQPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
> comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
> desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.

AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
with neither.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Glad to hear it. Until DNA testing is completed, I must not say jane has
assassinated Dan or outprayed him into hell.

Perhaps post Config.sys & Autoexec.bat for examination, instead of
blanket delete per Phillipson. Also, "START, Find, F/F, DOSStart.bat".
R-Clk it, select "Edit", & post it too.

If you do go beyond 512 MB...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447
Insufficient Memory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;253912
"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

(1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab, [vcache] section".
Don't just open the section; click it to highlight.
(2) Click the "New" button
(3) Type in: "MaxFileCache=524288"
(4) Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.

JUST, don't exceed usable RAM, as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32"...
376MB RAM, it says for me, because Video has grabbed away 8 MB.


--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
news:uBMXGjQPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| hey PCR,
| i got lots happened/happening with comp.
|
| have had dual boot for weeks and now have 512 ram.
| also have another 256 ram sitting in front of me if necessary
| to add more; think i'll keep it clean and sealed til needed.
|
| autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
| comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
| desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
|
| terhune tried to point it out that the 'rem' was something else,
| but he was wrong......... i already knew what it was.
|
| have done some editing here n' there including some registry stuff,
| all is well and i expect no problems. ( unless my dog has pups,
| then i'll have to feed em'.....LOL) (btw, how is dan?) (has the
| canadian trained him better yet?)
|
| dont lose that goolie sack pcr, keep on keeping on bud.
|
| jj
|
| pam says hi.

Hi.

|
|
Related resources
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Don,

Would you mind elaborating a little on why their not needed. I have a number
of entries in both that *seem* needed. Any harm in un-checking from start-up
to see what happens. I ask because I have a slight problem at start-up that
may stem from a line in the AUTOEXE.BAT

Thanks!!!

TK.


"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
news:efSAWRTPFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
> news:uBMXGjQPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> > autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
> > comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
> > desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
>
> AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
> standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
> with neither.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)
>
>
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"webejammin" <masters444(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote in message
news:uGvcLJUPFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Don,
>
> Would you mind elaborating a little on why their not needed. I have a
number
> of entries in both that *seem* needed. Any harm in un-checking from
start-up
> to see what happens. I ask because I have a slight problem at start-up
that
> may stem from a line in the AUTOEXE.BAT
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> TK.
>
>
> "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> news:efSAWRTPFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
> > news:uBMXGjQPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >
> > > autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
> > > comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
> > > desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
> >
> > AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
> > standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
> > with neither.

Practical: to test, just rename your files something
else and reboot. We expect Win98 will load normally.

Theory: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS can load
only DOS utilitiies and apps (e.g. RAMdisk as used to
speed up OS installation.) When Win98 has been
installed it has its own utilities and does not need
things like DOS device drivers.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:


>
>Practical: to test, just rename your files something
>else and reboot. We expect Win98 will load normally.
>
>Theory: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS can load
>only DOS utilitiies and apps (e.g. RAMdisk as used to
>speed up OS installation.) When Win98 has been
>installed it has its own utilities and does not need
>things like DOS device drivers.


There is one circumstance that I am aware of whee CONFIG.SYS would be
needed with Windows 95/98.

That is where there is an application that requires a "restart in
MS-DOS mode" in order to run it and which also requires access to the
CDROM drive. In that instance you must load the 16 bit driver for the
CDROM drive via the config.sys file. MSCDEX can be loaded via
DOSSTART.BAT for just the times when "restart in MS-DOS mode" is used
so it does not need to be loaded via AUTOEXEC.BAT


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:03:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

(a) As Martell said, a line in Config.sys is necessary for a Restart in
MS-DOS Mode to provide CD-ROM access.

(b) Virus scanners may put lines into Autoexec.bat to run at boot,
probably checking important boot-related system files, not to mention
possibly the MBR boot code.

(c) I know the line...
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe NOEMS
....has implications to the kind of memory available in a Windows DOS
box, namely they won't get Expanded Memory. Also, other initial
environment variables are affected by lines in Config.sys/Autoexec.bat.

(d) I think these files can actually provide drive letters to Windows,
using ASSIGN, perhaps. You never know how complex they can get. SO... a
blanket delete is inadvisable!


--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
news:o U4P7hUPFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| "webejammin" <masters444(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote in message
| news:uGvcLJUPFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > Don,
| >
| > Would you mind elaborating a little on why their not needed. I have
a
| number
| > of entries in both that *seem* needed. Any harm in un-checking from
| start-up
| > to see what happens. I ask because I have a slight problem at
start-up
| that
| > may stem from a line in the AUTOEXE.BAT
| >
| > Thanks!!!
| >
| > TK.
| >
| >
| > "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
| > news:efSAWRTPFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > > "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
| > > news:uBMXGjQPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > >
| > > > autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
| > > > comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
| > > > desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
| > >
| > > AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
| > > standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
| > > with neither.
|
| Practical: to test, just rename your files something
| else and reboot. We expect Win98 will load normally.
|
| Theory: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS can load
| only DOS utilitiies and apps (e.g. RAMdisk as used to
| speed up OS installation.) When Win98 has been
| installed it has its own utilities and does not need
| things like DOS device drivers.
| --
| Don Phillipson
| Carlsbad Springs
| (Ottawa, Canada)
|
|
|
April 10, 2005 7:05:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I share your sentiment(s), PCR. BTW, what about the case when you need
drivers to run so you do your work in DOS (Disk Operating System) For
example, having mouse driver(s) so that they run before Windows so that you
can use the mouse in ancient DOS applications and old games. People must
remember that like you have said in the past PCR --- DOS is still alive and
kicking in 98SE --- the difference between 98SE and say 95 is that some DOS
commands have been removed and not updated. In Microsoft Windows 3.1 the GUI
(Graphical User Interface) was built on top of DOS (Disk Operating System).
If you go back way before that to before the 286 era and into the 86 era of
the IBM PCjr then what you get is plain old BASIC which is super simple and
very easy for almost anymore to understand. Heck, even a young child could
probably learn BASIC easily as I did at age 7+. Remember:

10 cls
20 load "silly.(extension here)
30 run silly

This is a really primitive and simple example but you guys get the idea.
For instance cls stands for clear screen so that you can have a clear screen
for the program to start. In the IBM PCjr you could have a wireless keyboard
that was run from hardware via infared technology I think -- all you had to
do was have 2 AA batteries in the keyboard and make sure the center of the
keyboard was facing the center of the PCjr where the hole was and voila it
worked just like a television remote. Also, since you did not have sound
cards back in this day and age you enjoyed a *stunning* (it was for its day)
3-sounds at once internal speaker which was optimised to work with the
original in a plastic clear hard cover case with a gray backing that was the
original King's Quest 1 by Sierra On-Line which had its heyday from
approximately 1984-1999. King's Quest 1 was awesome to me as a small child.
The 16 color EGA (Extended Graphics Adapter) display was really colorful.
The computer originally had only 128 kb's of memory and we later upgraded
this to the maximum capacity of 640 kb's of memory and yes folks I do not
mean megabytes. Remember this computer is ancient and does not even have a
hard drive. The original King's Quest 1 was run off a true 5.25 inch floppy
disk and it was floppy because it was much softer and more fragile than the
now aging 3.5 inch 1.44 mb for PC's floppy (not truly floppy since now the
disks are hard plastic). The larger 8 inch, I think floppy disks were before
my time and I never did get to see one but I read about them. Also, I
remember thinking records were so cool and slowly but surely how the records
were replaced by cds. Now cassette tapes lasted longer and you can still buy
them for recording. Recently at Bookman's, a used bookstore I saw an old
Beach Boy's album that I used to enjoy playing on the record player while
excercising aka playing by jumping around back in the day. [ATTENTION BRIAN
A. --- Oh and Brian A., you try and have lymphatic cancer twice while you
are a teenager and have radiation and chemotherapy and this year have someone
actively try and steal your identity after a home break in by stealing your
social security card and trying to use your identity to hack into Target
Corporation and Microsoft Corporation and then you tell me that you would be
more sane than I. Have you had cancer twice or your identitiy stolen Brian
before the age of 30 <???>] Before King's Quest 1 it produced other lesser
known titles and later it was acquired by CUC which in turn was bought by HFS
and then a huge scandal emerged that CUC had been stating false revenue and
so CUC got burned and HFS got rid of the former Sierra unit to Havas
Interactive, a french company. Sierra did okay for a while but it never
returned to its former glory and is now a company in name only. Rest in
Peace, Sierra On-Line.

"PCR" wrote:

> Glad to hear it. Until DNA testing is completed, I must not say jane has
> assassinated Dan or outprayed him into hell.
>
> Perhaps post Config.sys & Autoexec.bat for examination, instead of
> blanket delete per Phillipson. Also, "START, Find, F/F, DOSStart.bat".
> R-Clk it, select "Edit", & post it too.
>
> If you do go beyond 512 MB...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
> Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447
> Insufficient Memory
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;253912
> "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
>
> (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab, [vcache] section".
> Don't just open the section; click it to highlight.
> (2) Click the "New" button
> (3) Type in: "MaxFileCache=524288"
> (4) Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.
>
> JUST, don't exceed usable RAM, as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32"...
> 376MB RAM, it says for me, because Video has grabbed away 8 MB.
>
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
> news:uBMXGjQPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | hey PCR,
> | i got lots happened/happening with comp.
> |
> | have had dual boot for weeks and now have 512 ram.
> | also have another 256 ram sitting in front of me if necessary
> | to add more; think i'll keep it clean and sealed til needed.
> |
> | autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
> | comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
> | desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
> |
> | terhune tried to point it out that the 'rem' was something else,
> | but he was wrong......... i already knew what it was.
> |
> | have done some editing here n' there including some registry stuff,
> | all is well and i expect no problems. ( unless my dog has pups,
> | then i'll have to feed em'.....LOL) (btw, how is dan?) (has the
> | canadian trained him better yet?)
> |
> | dont lose that goolie sack pcr, keep on keeping on bud.
> |
> | jj
> |
> | pam says hi.
>
> Hi.
>
> |
> |
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:59:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Well, I could have used a cordless mouse the day my HDD crashed in 2001.
My head stuck in the ceiling from the clamor and my toes tangled in the
mouse cord. I AM eight inches taller, but STILL.


--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0CFDE58F-267E-4229-89FA-53F517F00344@microsoft.com...
| Thanks, PCR. Yes, simplicity is good for me and others too I think.
<smile>
| As you can see I am almost back to the old me and that is just Dan.
| <chuckle> BTW, I bought a cordless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse today
that
| will work just fine in 98SE as cordless and I guess Microsoft lost out
on
| that sale since as far as I know they do not make the cordless
keyboards for
| any of their operating systems but 2000 and XP. LOL!!
....snip
April 13, 2005 6:59:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

So you had a major accident in 2001 or what. Don't tell me you still have a
COMPAQ -- aka Junk machine -- do you PCR and I hope you custom build your
next machine because then you can make it with brand name parts and just so
so sweet and nice -- LOL!!

"PCR" wrote:

> Well, I could have used a cordless mouse the day my HDD crashed in 2001.
> My head stuck in the ceiling from the clamor and my toes tangled in the
> mouse cord. I AM eight inches taller, but STILL.
>
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:0CFDE58F-267E-4229-89FA-53F517F00344@microsoft.com...
> | Thanks, PCR. Yes, simplicity is good for me and others too I think.
> <smile>
> | As you can see I am almost back to the old me and that is just Dan.
> | <chuckle> BTW, I bought a cordless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse today
> that
> | will work just fine in 98SE as cordless and I guess Microsoft lost out
> on
> | that sale since as far as I know they do not make the cordless
> keyboards for
> | any of their operating systems but 2000 and XP. LOL!!
> ....snip
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:26:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have a Compaq 7470 Presario Desktop, purchased 1/14/00. It's Quantum
Fireball HDD exploded just over a year later, just out of warranty. The
Compaq MV720 Color Monitor went dark last year. The Compaq IJ300 Printer
goes through the motions, but pages come out blank. I suppose it's just
out of ink, though.


--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:27B4DE2D-FE30-449B-AB4E-E7B78BE5164B@microsoft.com...
| So you had a major accident in 2001 or what. Don't tell me you still
have a
| COMPAQ -- aka Junk machine -- do you PCR and I hope you custom build
your
| next machine because then you can make it with brand name parts and
just so
| so sweet and nice -- LOL!!
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > Well, I could have used a cordless mouse the day my HDD crashed in
2001.
| > My head stuck in the ceiling from the clamor and my toes tangled in
the
| > mouse cord. I AM eight inches taller, but STILL.
| >
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > news:0CFDE58F-267E-4229-89FA-53F517F00344@microsoft.com...
| > | Thanks, PCR. Yes, simplicity is good for me and others too I
think.
| > <smile>
| > | As you can see I am almost back to the old me and that is just
Dan.
| > | <chuckle> BTW, I bought a cordless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
today
| > that
| > | will work just fine in 98SE as cordless and I guess Microsoft lost
out
| > on
| > | that sale since as far as I know they do not make the cordless
| > keyboards for
| > | any of their operating systems but 2000 and XP. LOL!!
| > ....snip
| >
| >
| >
!