New Ram- pcr

hey PCR,
i got lots happened/happening with comp.

have had dual boot for weeks and now have 512 ram.
also have another 256 ram sitting in front of me if necessary
to add more; think i'll keep it clean and sealed til needed.

autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.

terhune tried to point it out that the 'rem' was something else,
but he was wrong......... i already knew what it was.

have done some editing here n' there including some registry stuff,
all is well and i expect no problems. ( unless my dog has pups,
then i'll have to feed em'.....LOL) (btw, how is dan?) (has the
canadian trained him better yet?)

dont lose that goolie sack pcr, keep on keeping on bud.

jj

pam says hi.
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message

    > autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
    > comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
    > desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.

    AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
    standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
    with neither.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Glad to hear it. Until DNA testing is completed, I must not say jane has
    assassinated Dan or outprayed him into hell.

    Perhaps post Config.sys & Autoexec.bat for examination, instead of
    blanket delete per Phillipson. Also, "START, Find, F/F, DOSStart.bat".
    R-Clk it, select "Edit", & post it too.

    If you do go beyond 512 MB...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
    Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447
    Insufficient Memory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;253912
    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

    (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab, [vcache] section".
    Don't just open the section; click it to highlight.
    (2) Click the "New" button
    (3) Type in: "MaxFileCache=524288"
    (4) Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.

    JUST, don't exceed usable RAM, as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32"...
    376MB RAM, it says for me, because Video has grabbed away 8 MB.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
    | hey PCR,
    | i got lots happened/happening with comp.
    |
    | have had dual boot for weeks and now have 512 ram.
    | also have another 256 ram sitting in front of me if necessary
    | to add more; think i'll keep it clean and sealed til needed.
    |
    | autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
    | comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
    | desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
    |
    | terhune tried to point it out that the 'rem' was something else,
    | but he was wrong......... i already knew what it was.
    |
    | have done some editing here n' there including some registry stuff,
    | all is well and i expect no problems. ( unless my dog has pups,
    | then i'll have to feed em'.....LOL) (btw, how is dan?) (has the
    | canadian trained him better yet?)
    |
    | dont lose that goolie sack pcr, keep on keeping on bud.
    |
    | jj
    |
    | pam says hi.

    Hi.

    Don,

    Would you mind elaborating a little on why their not needed. I have a number
    of entries in both that *seem* needed. Any harm in un-checking from start-up
    to see what happens. I ask because I have a slight problem at start-up that
    may stem from a line in the AUTOEXE.BAT

    Thanks!!!

    TK.

    "webejammin" <masters444(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote in message
    > Don,
    >
    > Would you mind elaborating a little on why their not needed. I have a
    number
    > of entries in both that *seem* needed. Any harm in un-checking from
    start-up
    > to see what happens. I ask because I have a slight problem at start-up
    that
    > may stem from a line in the AUTOEXE.BAT
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > TK.
    >

    > "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > > "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
    > > > comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
    > > > desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
    > >
    > > AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
    > > standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
    > > with neither.

    Practical: to test, just rename your files something
    else and reboot. We expect Win98 will load normally.

    Theory: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS can load
    only DOS utilitiies and apps (e.g. RAMdisk as used to
    speed up OS installation.) When Win98 has been
    installed it has its own utilities and does not need
    things like DOS device drivers.
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:

    >Practical: to test, just rename your files something
    >else and reboot. We expect Win98 will load normally.
    >
    >Theory: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS can load
    >only DOS utilitiies and apps (e.g. RAMdisk as used to
    >speed up OS installation.) When Win98 has been
    >installed it has its own utilities and does not need
    >things like DOS device drivers.

    There is one circumstance that I am aware of whee CONFIG.SYS would be
    needed with Windows 95/98.

    That is where there is an application that requires a "restart in
    MS-DOS mode" in order to run it and which also requires access to the
    CDROM drive. In that instance you must load the 16 bit driver for the
    CDROM drive via the config.sys file. MSCDEX can be loaded via
    DOSSTART.BAT for just the times when "restart in MS-DOS mode" is used
    so it does not need to be loaded via AUTOEXEC.BAT

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    (a) As Martell said, a line in Config.sys is necessary for a Restart in
    MS-DOS Mode to provide CD-ROM access.

    (b) Virus scanners may put lines into Autoexec.bat to run at boot,
    probably checking important boot-related system files, not to mention
    possibly the MBR boot code.

    (c) I know the line...
    DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe NOEMS
    ....has implications to the kind of memory available in a Windows DOS
    box, namely they won't get Expanded Memory. Also, other initial
    environment variables are affected by lines in Config.sys/Autoexec.bat.

    (d) I think these files can actually provide drive letters to Windows,
    using ASSIGN, perhaps. You never know how complex they can get. SO... a
    blanket delete is inadvisable!

    --
    | "webejammin" <masters444(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote in message
    | > Don,
    | >
    | > Would you mind elaborating a little on why their not needed. I have
    | number
    | > of entries in both that *seem* needed. Any harm in un-checking from
    | start-up
    | > to see what happens. I ask because I have a slight problem at
    start-up
    | that
    | > may stem from a line in the AUTOEXE.BAT
    | >
    | > Thanks!!!
    | >
    | > TK.
    | >

    | > "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    | > > "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message

    | > > AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are not needed by
    | > > standard Win98 installations. Test how well yours runs
    | > > with neither.
    |
    | Practical: to test, just rename your files something
    | else and reboot. We expect Win98 will load normally.
    |
    | Theory: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS can load
    | only DOS utilitiies and apps (e.g. RAMdisk as used to
    | speed up OS installation.) When Win98 has been
    | installed it has its own utilities and does not need
    | things like DOS device drivers.
    | --
    | Don Phillipson
    | Carlsbad Springs
    | (Ottawa, Canada)

    I share your sentiment(s), PCR. BTW, what about the case when you need
    drivers to run so you do your work in DOS (Disk Operating System) For
    example, having mouse driver(s) so that they run before Windows so that you
    can use the mouse in ancient DOS applications and old games. People must
    remember that like you have said in the past PCR --- DOS is still alive and
    kicking in 98SE --- the difference between 98SE and say 95 is that some DOS
    commands have been removed and not updated. In Microsoft Windows 3.1 the GUI
    (Graphical User Interface) was built on top of DOS (Disk Operating System).
    If you go back way before that to before the 286 era and into the 86 era of
    the IBM PCjr then what you get is plain old BASIC which is super simple and
    very easy for almost anymore to understand. Heck, even a young child could
    probably learn BASIC easily as I did at age 7+. Remember:

    10 cls
    20 load "silly.(extension here)
    30 run silly

    This is a really primitive and simple example but you guys get the idea.
    For instance cls stands for clear screen so that you can have a clear screen
    for the program to start. In the IBM PCjr you could have a wireless keyboard
    that was run from hardware via infared technology I think -- all you had to
    do was have 2 AA batteries in the keyboard and make sure the center of the
    keyboard was facing the center of the PCjr where the hole was and voila it
    worked just like a television remote. Also, since you did not have sound
    cards back in this day and age you enjoyed a *stunning* (it was for its day)
    3-sounds at once internal speaker which was optimised to work with the
    original in a plastic clear hard cover case with a gray backing that was the
    original King's Quest 1 by Sierra On-Line which had its heyday from
    approximately 1984-1999. King's Quest 1 was awesome to me as a small child.
    The 16 color EGA (Extended Graphics Adapter) display was really colorful.
    The computer originally had only 128 kb's of memory and we later upgraded
    this to the maximum capacity of 640 kb's of memory and yes folks I do not
    mean megabytes. Remember this computer is ancient and does not even have a
    hard drive. The original King's Quest 1 was run off a true 5.25 inch floppy
    disk and it was floppy because it was much softer and more fragile than the
    now aging 3.5 inch 1.44 mb for PC's floppy (not truly floppy since now the
    disks are hard plastic). The larger 8 inch, I think floppy disks were before
    my time and I never did get to see one but I read about them. Also, I
    remember thinking records were so cool and slowly but surely how the records
    were replaced by cds. Now cassette tapes lasted longer and you can still buy
    them for recording. Recently at Bookman's, a used bookstore I saw an old
    Beach Boy's album that I used to enjoy playing on the record player while
    excercising aka playing by jumping around back in the day. [ATTENTION BRIAN
    A. --- Oh and Brian A., you try and have lymphatic cancer twice while you
    are a teenager and have radiation and chemotherapy and this year have someone
    actively try and steal your identity after a home break in by stealing your
    social security card and trying to use your identity to hack into Target
    Corporation and Microsoft Corporation and then you tell me that you would be
    more sane than I. Have you had cancer twice or your identitiy stolen Brian
    before the age of 30 <???>] Before King's Quest 1 it produced other lesser
    known titles and later it was acquired by CUC which in turn was bought by HFS
    and then a huge scandal emerged that CUC had been stating false revenue and
    so CUC got burned and HFS got rid of the former Sierra unit to Havas
    Interactive, a french company. Sierra did okay for a while but it never
    returned to its former glory and is now a company in name only. Rest in
    Peace, Sierra On-Line.

    "PCR" wrote:

    > Glad to hear it. Until DNA testing is completed, I must not say jane has
    > assassinated Dan or outprayed him into hell.
    >
    > Perhaps post Config.sys & Autoexec.bat for examination, instead of
    > blanket delete per Phillipson. Also, "START, Find, F/F, DOSStart.bat".
    > R-Clk it, select "Edit", & post it too.
    >
    > If you do go beyond 512 MB...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
    > Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447
    > Insufficient Memory
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;253912
    > "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
    >
    > (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab, [vcache] section".
    > Don't just open the section; click it to highlight.
    > (2) Click the "New" button
    > (3) Type in: "MaxFileCache=524288"
    > (4) Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.
    >
    > JUST, don't exceed usable RAM, as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32"...
    > 376MB RAM, it says for me, because Video has grabbed away 8 MB.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "bliss" <blissfull@america.com> wrote in message
    > | hey PCR,
    > | i got lots happened/happening with comp.
    > |
    > | have had dual boot for weeks and now have 512 ram.
    > | also have another 256 ram sitting in front of me if necessary
    > | to add more; think i'll keep it clean and sealed til needed.
    > |
    > | autoexec.bat changed somewhat, but 99% of it is the 'REM'
    > | comments due to the old way i had comp regarding my
    > | desktop icons leading to the appropiate software/utilities.
    > |
    > | terhune tried to point it out that the 'rem' was something else,
    > | but he was wrong......... i already knew what it was.
    > |
    > | have done some editing here n' there including some registry stuff,
    > | all is well and i expect no problems. ( unless my dog has pups,
    > | then i'll have to feed em'.....LOL) (btw, how is dan?) (has the
    > | canadian trained him better yet?)
    > |
    > | dont lose that goolie sack pcr, keep on keeping on bud.
    > |
    > | jj
    > |
    > | pam says hi.
    >
    > Hi.

    Well, I could have used a cordless mouse the day my HDD crashed in 2001.
    My head stuck in the ceiling from the clamor and my toes tangled in the
    mouse cord. I AM eight inches taller, but STILL.

    --
    | Thanks, PCR. Yes, simplicity is good for me and others too I think.
    <smile>
    | As you can see I am almost back to the old me and that is just Dan.
    | <chuckle> BTW, I bought a cordless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse today
    that
    | will work just fine in 98SE as cordless and I guess Microsoft lost out
    on
    | that sale since as far as I know they do not make the cordless
    keyboards for
    | any of their operating systems but 2000 and XP. LOL!!
    ....snip

    So you had a major accident in 2001 or what. Don't tell me you still have a
    COMPAQ -- aka Junk machine -- do you PCR and I hope you custom build your
    next machine because then you can make it with brand name parts and just so
    so sweet and nice -- LOL!!

    "PCR" wrote:

    > Well, I could have used a cordless mouse the day my HDD crashed in 2001.
    > My head stuck in the ceiling from the clamor and my toes tangled in the
    > mouse cord. I AM eight inches taller, but STILL.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Thanks, PCR. Yes, simplicity is good for me and others too I think.
    > <smile>
    > | As you can see I am almost back to the old me and that is just Dan.
    > | <chuckle> BTW, I bought a cordless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse today
    > that
    > | will work just fine in 98SE as cordless and I guess Microsoft lost out
    > on
    > | that sale since as far as I know they do not make the cordless
    > keyboards for
    > | any of their operating systems but 2000 and XP. LOL!!
    > ....snip

    I have a Compaq 7470 Presario Desktop, purchased 1/14/00. It's Quantum
    Fireball HDD exploded just over a year later, just out of warranty. The
    Compaq MV720 Color Monitor went dark last year. The Compaq IJ300 Printer
    goes through the motions, but pages come out blank. I suppose it's just
    out of ink, though.

    --
    | So you had a major accident in 2001 or what. Don't tell me you still
    have a
    | COMPAQ -- aka Junk machine -- do you PCR and I hope you custom build
    your
    | next machine because then you can make it with brand name parts and
    just so
    | so sweet and nice -- LOL!!
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > Well, I could have used a cordless mouse the day my HDD crashed in
    2001.
    | > My head stuck in the ceiling from the clamor and my toes tangled in
    the
    | > mouse cord. I AM eight inches taller, but STILL.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Thanks, PCR. Yes, simplicity is good for me and others too I
    think.
    | > <smile>
    | > | As you can see I am almost back to the old me and that is just
    Dan.
    | > | <chuckle> BTW, I bought a cordless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
    today
    | > that
    | > | will work just fine in 98SE as cordless and I guess Microsoft lost
    out
    | > on
    | > | that sale since as far as I know they do not make the cordless
    | > keyboards for
    | > | any of their operating systems but 2000 and XP. LOL!!
    | > ....snip

RAM Windows