No-charge hotfixes.

In the Knowledge base, there are many problems listed as
"known issues" with available "hotfixes" that you can get after contacting
microsoft
for that specific patch, and further, if it turns out that's all you need,
the call to microsoft
is not charged for the hotfix..

the latest hotfix I needed was a update to clipbrd.exe used over terminal
services..

can anyone explain to me the logic of making me hunt down the problem,
finding a SPOT ON MATCH to the problem and that it has been solved,
and not just making the hotfix available for download?

== I send an email to MS, "I'm having the problem in KB article# XXX
could you please send me the hot fix"
and 1-2 days later I get it..

why can't it just be linked from the page?

is there a point to this delay? can anyone make a reasonable assumption or
posit some theory that sounds reasonable?

Hotfixes that must be obtained by contacting MS instead of a direct download
are specific patches/fixes to specific issues. If MS offered them as a download
without contact, then users with similar/close issues may think it is a solution
to their issue and download/install the patch/fix, which may then potentially
hose the system.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
> In the Knowledge base, there are many problems listed as
> "known issues" with available "hotfixes" that you can get after contacting
> microsoft
> for that specific patch, and further, if it turns out that's all you need, the
> call to microsoft
> is not charged for the hotfix..
>
> the latest hotfix I needed was a update to clipbrd.exe used over terminal
> services..
>
> can anyone explain to me the logic of making me hunt down the problem,
> finding a SPOT ON MATCH to the problem and that it has been solved,
> and not just making the hotfix available for download?
>
> == I send an email to MS, "I'm having the problem in KB article# XXX could
> you please send me the hot fix"
> and 1-2 days later I get it..
>
> why can't it just be linked from the page?
>
> is there a point to this delay? can anyone make a reasonable assumption or
> posit some theory that sounds reasonable?

Brian it is me and I am back after my XP SP2 system was trashed by hackers.
98SE up and running as well but I am currently posting on David's computer
with his permission. It will take a lot more than hackers to make me give
up. I am just rolling with the punches. Anyway, I have to go because I need
to do some cleaning of the house that we rent from a guy in the Christian
Church. See Ya!
Dan W.