Tweakbios

martin

There is (or was) a seemingly magical program called Tweakbios at
http://www.miro.pair.com/tweakbios/ that claims:

"This shareware program lets you tune your chipset, CPU and video card
probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't have
to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt! And
you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"

Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999 and
there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version of
Tweakbios for DOS and 95 hoping to resolve an apparent IRQ conflict in 98SE
but it doesn't seem to work and I have no intention of messing around
updating the bios.

Does anyone know of any similar programs or is such a thing just too good to
be true?

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> There is (or was) a seemingly magical program called Tweakbios at
> http://www.miro.pair.com/tweakbios/ that claims:
>
> "This shareware program lets you tune your chipset, CPU and video card
> probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't have
> to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt!
And
> you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"
>
> Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999
and
> there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
> planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version of

Your post does not say what you expect to be able to
do with this Win95 fix that you cannot do with Win98.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

IMO, snakeoil. Altering a CPU with an app not approved/offered by the
manufacturer is no different than digging a hole and tossing the dirt on top of
yourself.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is (or was) a seemingly magical program called Tweakbios at
> http://www.miro.pair.com/tweakbios/ that claims:
>
> "This shareware program lets you tune your chipset, CPU and video card
> probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't have
> to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt! And
> you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"
>
> Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999 and
> there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
> planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version of
> Tweakbios for DOS and 95 hoping to resolve an apparent IRQ conflict in 98SE
> but it doesn't seem to work and I have no intention of messing around
> updating the bios.
>
> Does anyone know of any similar programs or is such a thing just too good to
> be true?

Please describe the problem you are trying to fix, in detail. TweakBios is not the
type of program to use for what *sounds* like is your problem.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is (or was) a seemingly magical program called Tweakbios at
> http://www.miro.pair.com/tweakbios/ that claims:
>
> "This shareware program lets you tune your chipset, CPU and video card
> probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't have
> to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt! And
> you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"
>
> Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999 and
> there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
> planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version of
> Tweakbios for DOS and 95 hoping to resolve an apparent IRQ conflict in 98SE
> but it doesn't seem to work and I have no intention of messing around
> updating the bios.
>
> Does anyone know of any similar programs or is such a thing just too good to
> be true?

Not snake oil, really. TweakBIOS came recommended in the book, The BIOS Companion,
by Phil Croucher. It actually did adjust settings that stayed during the current
session of the computer. Because the app had this potential, it was also very easy
to freeze the computer using the app, if you made settings that your system could
not handle. So yes, in that respect it was like tossing the dirt on oneself.
--

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> IMO, snakeoil. Altering a CPU with an app not approved/offered by the
> manufacturer is no different than digging a hole and tossing the dirt on top of
> yourself.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > There is (or was) a seemingly magical program called Tweakbios at
> > http://www.miro.pair.com/tweakbios/ that claims:
> >
> > "This shareware program lets you tune your chipset, CPU and video card
> > probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't have
> > to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt! And
> > you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"
> >
> > Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999 and
> > there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
> > planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version of
> > Tweakbios for DOS and 95 hoping to resolve an apparent IRQ conflict in 98SE
> > but it doesn't seem to work and I have no intention of messing around
> > updating the bios.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any similar programs or is such a thing just too good to
> > be true?

From what I find and is available on the net, TweakBIOS v1.53b is compatible
with 95/98/98SE. I myself, wouldn't chance it.

--

> Not snake oil, really. TweakBIOS came recommended in the book, The BIOS
> Companion,
> by Phil Croucher. It actually did adjust settings that stayed during the
> current
> session of the computer. Because the app had this potential, it was also very
> easy
> to freeze the computer using the app, if you made settings that your system
> could
> not handle. So yes, in that respect it was like tossing the dirt on oneself.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

For sure. I would not recommend it to most users, and I have not found it to be
particularly useful for myself. I have had version 1.53b here for about five years,
and there have been no updates to what hardware it supports since that time, AFAIK.
--

> From what I find and is available on the net, TweakBIOS v1.53b is compatible
> with 95/98/98SE. I myself, wouldn't chance it.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > Not snake oil, really. TweakBIOS came recommended in the book, The BIOS
> > Companion,
> > by Phil Croucher. It actually did adjust settings that stayed during the
> > current
> > session of the computer. Because the app had this potential, it was also very
> > easy
> > to freeze the computer using the app, if you made settings that your system
> > could
> > not handle. So yes, in that respect it was like tossing the dirt on oneself.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What was your overall experience and would you suggest it to a power user who
likes to modify his registry, boot.ini, autoexec.bat, config.sys, etc. <???>
Thanks in advance and have a great day!

"glee" wrote:

> For sure. I would not recommend it to most users, and I have not found it to be
> particularly useful for myself. I have had version 1.53b here for about five years,
> and there have been no updates to what hardware it supports since that time, AFAIK.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > From what I find and is available on the net, TweakBIOS v1.53b is compatible
> > with 95/98/98SE. I myself, wouldn't chance it.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko
> > <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Not snake oil, really. TweakBIOS came recommended in the book, The BIOS
> > > Companion,
> > > by Phil Croucher. It actually did adjust settings that stayed during the
> > > current
> > > session of the computer. Because the app had this potential, it was also very
> > > easy
> > > to freeze the computer using the app, if you made settings that your system
> > > could
> > > not handle. So yes, in that respect it was like tossing the dirt on oneself.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

No, I found it relatively useless, and since it has not been updated in about eight
years, it does not have data for any chipsets or BIOS released since that time.
--

> What was your overall experience and would you suggest it to a power user who
> likes to modify his registry, boot.ini, autoexec.bat, config.sys, etc. <???>
> Thanks in advance and have a great day!
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > For sure. I would not recommend it to most users, and I have not found it to be
> > particularly useful for myself. I have had version 1.53b here for about five
years,
> > and there have been no updates to what hardware it supports since that time,
AFAIK.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > > From what I find and is available on the net, TweakBIOS v1.53b is compatible
> > > with 95/98/98SE. I myself, wouldn't chance it.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Brian A. Sesko
> > > <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
> > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

martin

Sorry - I should have mentioned why I wanted to use Tweakbios. I wanted
to try to shift the IRQ of the graphics card in my laptop to a free IRQ to
see if that was the cause of the following snag:

I have a Firewire & USB 2 combo card which slots into my PCMCIA slot that
should allow me to connect USB2/Firewire connectors to the laptop, which is
5 years old and has 2 USB 1.1 and 2 PCMCIA slots as standard.

My Wintv USB works fine through the USB 1 slot but does not play via the USB
2 adapter. (Wintv told me it should work via a USB2 connection and that I
might have an IRQ conflict.)

On checking my IRQs I find that the dispaly adapter and the combo card are
both working through IRQ 10:

10 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

My bios doesn't allow me to reserve or alter IRQs and I do not wish to
chance updating it. Rightly or wrongly (and I don't know anything about
IRQ handling) I figured that the RAGE video card and the combo card might be
fighting for the same IRQ and that might account for the Wintv not working.
Of course, I can use the Wintv in the USB 1.1 slot but I wondered if this
apparent conflict might cause problems at a later date with other things
plugged into the combo PCMCIA card.

Thanks

Martin

> Please describe the problem you are trying to fix, in detail. TweakBios
is not the
> type of program to use for what *sounds* like is your problem.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > There is (or was) a seemingly magical program called Tweakbios at
> > http://www.miro.pair.com/tweakbios/ that claims:
> >
> > "This shareware program lets you tune your chipset, CPU and video card
> > probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't
have
> > to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt!
And
> > you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"
> >
> > Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999
and
> > there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
> > planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version
of
> > Tweakbios for DOS and 95 hoping to resolve an apparent IRQ conflict in
98SE
> > but it doesn't seem to work and I have no intention of messing around
> > updating the bios.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any similar programs or is such a thing just too
good to
> > be true?

It is a laptop, and you cannot change the IRQ of the onboard video controller on a
laptop, AFAIK. You posted the sharing info for IRQ 10, which includes your display
adapter and the PC Card USB2/Firewire adapter. What is the IRQ setting for the
onboard USB 1.1? While it's true that USB sometimes does not like to share
resources, it is also fairly common to have USB share an IRQ successfully with the
display adapter.

With a desktop computer, you can move the USB 2.0 card to another PCI slot to try
and get a different IRQ assigned, but with a PC Card in a laptop, you don't have
that option, and are limited in what you can configure. You are using Win98SE, not
Win98 Gold, correct?

You can have a look at this web page, though I don't know how useful the info is for
a laptop:
http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

I have personally had a lot of trouble getting USB 2.0 cards with ALi chipsets to
work correctly in Win98SE. see here for some details re: ALi USB chipsets:
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/ali_tips_and_tricks.htm
While much of it is meant for onboard ALi controllers, I have found much also
applies to add-on USB 2.0 cards.
Things I have found helpful include installing these updates (install even if it is
not an AMD processor or a VIA controller):
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240075
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=253697
and installing the very latest ALi drivers.
--

> [...]
> > > probably more than any 'real' BIOS. And using it is simple; you don't
> have
> > > to worry about 'flashing' your BIOS, you can run it from the DOS prompt!
> And
> > > you can change the settings on the fly! No need to reboot your machine!"
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, Tweakbios doesn't appear to have been updated since 1999
> and
> > > there are no replies to e-mails. A version for Windows 98 had been
> > > planned but it doesn't look as if it materialised. I ran the version
> of
> > > Tweakbios for DOS and 95 hoping to resolve an apparent IRQ conflict in
> 98SE
> > > but it doesn't seem to work and I have no intention of messing around
> > > updating the bios.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of any similar programs or is such a thing just too

martin

Thanks Glen,

You raised a point I ahould have thought of:

The IRQ for the USB 1.1 is (incl all other IRQ 10s):

10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English)
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

(I assume that PCI-1225 are the PCMCIA card slots)

So the USB 1.1 share the same IRQ as the display adapter yet the Wintv works
fine that way, so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. At least I've
learned something from that.

I'm on 98SE (I haven't heard of Gold before).

I really appreciate your helpful advice and links which I will delve into.

Very many thanks indeed.

Martin

> [...]
> > chance updating it. Rightly or wrongly (and I don't know anything
about
> > IRQ handling) I figured that the RAGE video card and the combo card
might be
> > fighting for the same IRQ and that might account for the Wintv not
working.
> > Of course, I can use the Wintv in the USB 1.1 slot but I wondered if
this
> > apparent conflict might cause problems at a later date with other things
> > plugged into the combo PCMCIA card.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Please describe the problem you are trying to fix, in detail.
TweakBios
> > is not the
> > > type of program to use for what *sounds* like is your problem.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Glen. I appreciate your reply.

"glee" wrote:

> No, I found it relatively useless, and since it has not been updated in about eight
> years, it does not have data for any chipsets or BIOS released since that time.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What was your overall experience and would you suggest it to a power user who
> > likes to modify his registry, boot.ini, autoexec.bat, config.sys, etc. <???>
> > Thanks in advance and have a great day!
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > For sure. I would not recommend it to most users, and I have not found it to be
> > > particularly useful for myself. I have had version 1.53b here for about five
> years,
> > > and there have been no updates to what hardware it supports since that time,
> AFAIK.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> > >
> > > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

> very

> oneself.

Win98 Gold is Win98 First Edition (FE).
Please post back with any further findings/clues, re: you USB problem.
--

"Martin" <vdp4r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > > 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> > > 10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > >
> > > My bios doesn't allow me to reserve or alter IRQs and I do not wish to
> > > chance updating it. Rightly or wrongly (and I don't know anything
> about
> > > IRQ handling) I figured that the RAGE video card and the combo card
> might be
> > > fighting for the same IRQ and that might account for the Wintv not
> working.
> > > Of course, I can use the Wintv in the USB 1.1 slot but I wondered if
> this
> > > apparent conflict might cause problems at a later date with other things

martin

Thank you, Glen. And thanks for explaining "Gold". Here is where
I've got to:

I followed all the advice in the links you sent and even ended up at the
Intel site downloading USB 1.1 and 2.0 drivers for the "440 Chipset family"

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=N&ProductID=129&DwnldID=4406

However, the Wintv still won't work through the combo card USB
input. Strange thing is that the sound doesn't appear either even
though the
sound comes via a cable taken directly from the Wintv box straight to the
line/mic
input. (The LED lights on the Wintv box. and the Wintv programme opens
up, which it won't do if the usb connector's left out. As I say, Wintv
works fine in the USB 1 socket.) My printer works through the usb
connection on the combo card, but I can't say if it's quicker. When I
get my burner and Nero to talk to each other I hope I will finally find out
if this combo card is really working and allowing USB 2 data rates to be
handled.

The "only" thing I didn't do in all the USBman advice was to update my bios.
It's a Systemsoft bios according to the bootup screen. The "latest" bios
update for my 5-year-old laptop at the AJP site contains flash files dating
back to Dec 99, so that's the first alarm bell. If I were sure that the
bios update would help, I might warm to the idea of updating it. But I
don't fully trust that the update would be the right one for my laptop
model. Even if there were some way to back up and revert this bios in
case things
went wrong I'd still be wary, especially after reading through the Badflash
site (linked in the USBman site you directed me to).

Having said all that - and forgive the layman-like language - would I be
right in thinking that this PCMCIA combo card I'm using is merely a
conversion unit, taking in USB (or Firewire) inputs/outputs and converting
them into an output/input that the PCMCIA socket in the laptop can handle?
In which case I assume that USB 2 and PCMCIA data handling rates are
compatible and would it really matter that the laptop has up-to-date USB
drivers if the "conversion process" is all taking place inside the PCMCIA
combo card? Or is it not quite that simple?

Martin

> [...]
> > info is for
> > > a laptop:
> > > http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
> > >
> > > I have personally had a lot of trouble getting USB 2.0 cards with ALi
> > chipsets to
> > > work correctly in Win98SE. see here for some details re: ALi USB
> > chipsets:
> > > http://www.usbman.com/Guides/ali_tips_and_tricks.htm
> > > While much of it is meant for onboard ALi controllers, I have found
much
> > also
> > > applies to add-on USB 2.0 cards.
> > > Things I have found helpful include installing these updates (install
even
> > if it is
> > > not an AMD processor or a VIA controller):
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240075
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=253697
> > > and installing the very latest ALi drivers.

I don't see where installing those Intel drivers was necessary, as your USB 2.0 is
ALi chipset on the add-on card. The Intel USB chipset is the on-board USB 1.1
ports. The drivers you link to from Intel are their USB 2.0 drivers, which you have
no need for since you don't have an Intel USB 2.0 chipset. It's possible that those
added and unneeded Intel drivers may be just interfering and adding to the
confusion.

It seems the USB 2.0 ports are working, but just not with the WinTV unit. What does
WinTV support have to say?
--

> [...]
> >
> > "Martin" <vdp4r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Glen,
> > >
> > > You raised a point I ahould have thought of:
> > >
> > > The IRQ for the USB 1.1 is (incl all other IRQ 10s):
> > >
> > > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > > 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> > > 10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English)
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > >
> > > (I assume that PCI-1225 are the PCMCIA card slots)
> > >
> > > So the USB 1.1 share the same IRQ as the display adapter yet the Wintv
> works
> > > fine that way, so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. At least I've
> > > learned something from that.
> > >

> > > I'm on 98SE (I haven't heard of Gold before).
> > >
> > > I really appreciate your helpful advice and links which I will delve

martin

Makes sense, Glen. As it is, those Intel drivers haven't made any
difference either way.

Anyway, I've made fair progress in that I finally got my burner working
(up-to-date Windows/Adaptec ASPI files sorted that out) and that has allowed
me to check out the PCMCIA combo card by comparing its USB 2 & Firewire
inputs with the USB 1.1 input at the back of the laptop. Write-speed
tests show that the combo card is working properly, in that:

Firewire 96kB/s 69.5x
USB 2 48kB/s 48x
USB 1.1 14kB/s 10.2x

With everything else working perfectly via the combo card, I now believe the
Wintv problem is just a quirk. In Device Manager, the "Hauppage Wintv
USB Pro (PAL I)" device appears under Sound, Video and Game Controllers when
the Wintv box is plugged into either the USB 1.1 port or the USB 2
combo-card port - so Windows is seeing the device when it's plugged into the
USB2 input.

The Wintv people say it should work via the USB 2 input. (I decided to
let it retune itself via the USB2 port - not that I thought for one minute
that should make any difference, and it didn't. )

Now that I know the combo card is functioning properly (as proved by my
backing up my data to dvd), I am more than happy, especially as bad clusters
are starting to show up on my 5-year-old hard drive. The inability of
Wintv to work via USB2 ports is a relatively minor affair. Nevertheless,
if I ever do find out why I will let you know, but it's not something I'm
actively going to pursue - next thing on the agenda is the building up of a
new hard drive, which should keep my occupied for a wee while.

Thanks once again for you kind help.

Martin

> [...]
> >
> > Having said all that - and forgive the layman-like language - would I be
> > right in thinking that this PCMCIA combo card I'm using is merely a
> > conversion unit, taking in USB (or Firewire) inputs/outputs and
converting
> > them into an output/input that the PCMCIA socket in the laptop can
handle?
> > In which case I assume that USB 2 and PCMCIA data handling rates are
> > compatible and would it really matter that the laptop has up-to-date USB
> > drivers if the "conversion process" is all taking place inside the
PCMCIA
> > combo card? Or is it not quite that simple?
> >

> > Martin
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Win98 Gold is Win98 First Edition (FE).
> > > Please post back with any further findings/clues, re: you USB problem.

Yes, let us know if you ever do find the problem. I am afraid WinTV is one of a
list of things I know nothing about.