Two problems - W98

I would appreciate some help with two problems I have.

Problem 1:
I run Windows 98 & normally run a defrag every week or so.
However when I tried to run it this week, it kept resetting (saying that
something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.

Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I have
not done?

Problem 2:
When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the error
message:

"Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make sure the
path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available"

I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.

It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first time I
have seen this message.

Thanks
PeterO

See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

You also may want to ensure that a virus or spyware is not causing the
problem.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>I would appreciate some help with two problems I have.
>
> Problem 1:
> I run Windows 98 & normally run a defrag every week or so.
> However when I tried to run it this week, it kept resetting (saying that
> something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
> Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
> The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
>
> Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I have
> not done?
>
> Problem 2:
> When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
> error
> message:
>
> "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make sure
> the
> path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> available"
>
> I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
>
> It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first time
> have seen this message.
>
> Thanks
> PeterO

Try "START, Run, SysEdit" to see Config.sys. Badour's site is likely all
you need. Nevertheless...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
(When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in
message news:ePtmY$cPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| I would appreciate some help with two problems I have.
|
| Problem 1:
| I run Windows 98 & normally run a defrag every week or so.
| However when I tried to run it this week, it kept resetting (saying
that
| something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
| Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
| The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
|
| Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I
have
| not done?
|
| Problem 2:
| When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
error
| message:
|
| "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make
sure the
| path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
available"

| I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
|
| It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first
time I
| have seen this message.
|
| Thanks
| PeterO

Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to find (if
not impossible) from the site quoted.

Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I will go
through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I would like
your list of backup apps.

Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking through my
log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed 3 Security
Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I removed
KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix the
problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems with
Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there anything I
should be doing.
I have not been offered the updates again.
Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and although I
have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still struggle
to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the efforts
that experts go to to explain things!
Best regards
PeterO
=====

> [...]
> | something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
> | Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
> | The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
> |
> | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I
> have
> | not done?
> |
> | Problem 2:
> | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
> error
> | message:
> |
> | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make
> sure the
> | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> available"
> |
> | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
> |
> | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first

HAGGIS

KB891711 is the one with a problem on "some" machines...no resolution as of
yet

> [...]
>> |
>> | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I
>> have
>> | not done?
>> |
>> | Problem 2:
>> | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
>> error
>> | message:
>> |
>> | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make
>> sure the
>> | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
>> available"
>> |
>> | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
>> |
>> | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first
>> time I
>> | have seen this message.
>> |
>> | Thanks
>> | PeterO

| Yes, please, I would like your list of backup apps.

Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
you may need to change it back before a restore.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
http://www.arjsoftware.com ARJ Archiver
http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=co105en&p=hpcdwriter2
Simple Backup
http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
yearly charge now.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump_details.phtml?stp Backup MyPC
http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
Scandisk/Defrag.

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those last two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/two & one that was so-so.

--
message news:e13Bx%23mPFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
| Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to find
(if
| not impossible) from the site quoted.
|
| Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I will
go
| through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I
would like
| your list of backup apps.
|
| Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking
through my
| log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed 3
Security
| Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
| After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
removed
| KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix
the
| problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
| Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems
with
| Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
anything I
| should be doing.
| I have not been offered the updates again.
| Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
although I
| have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still
struggle
| to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
efforts
| that experts go to to explain things!
| Best regards
| PeterO
| =====

....snip

| Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
| After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
removed
| KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix
the
| problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!

Anything that periodically writes to the hard drive can cause constant
restarts of Scandisk(Thorough, usually w/o write testing) & Defrag. But
I don't know specifically that one of those does it.

KB891781 shows up in "IE, Help, About" & in "Control Panel, Add/Remove
Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"...

"START, Find, F/F, 'Windows Update.log'". (Use double quotes around that
name.) Click it for a possible clue inside. Otherwise...

(A) At IE6, Help, About:
SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
& 891781.

(B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
Windows 98 TELNET

(C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

(1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
(2) Internet Explorer Q891781
(was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
(3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
(4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
(5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
(6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
(7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
(8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
(9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
(10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
(11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
(12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
(13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
(14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
(15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
(16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
(17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

| I have not been offered the updates again.

Are you sure you uninstalled all three? I do know KB891711 may not
uninstall fully by itself. Then, you must at least delete the two
folders mentioned below for Windows Update to offer it again. OF COURSE,
as Haggis said, it is that one which normally is the source of
problematical experiences, meaning BS'sOD. So, wait for an announcement
that the fix has been fixed, before trying again.

.........Quote...............
The install is really really a simple one though, and just for notation
here is exactly what the simple install does, and from this it's easy to
make sure the uninstall is complete if ever need be:

(for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)

C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
891711UN.INF

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
KB891711exe
Q891711.dll

(and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made no
other changes)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
@="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Locale"="EN"
"Version"="4.10.0.2222"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService
s]
"KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Upda
tes\W98\UPD891711]
@="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
891711]
@=""
"DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"
.........EOQ.................

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in
message news:e13Bx%23mPFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
| Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to find
(if
| not impossible) from the site quoted.
|
| Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I will
go
| through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I
would like
| your list of backup apps.
|
| Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking
through my
| log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed 3
Security
| Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
| After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
removed
| KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix
the
| problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
| Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems
with
| Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
anything I
| should be doing.
| I have not been offered the updates again.
| Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
although I
| have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still
struggle
| to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
efforts
| that experts go to to explain things!
| Best regards
| PeterO
| =====

| > Try "START, Run, SysEdit" to see Config.sys. Badour's site is likely
all
| > you need. Nevertheless...
....snip

Peter, being a "novice", you might find the articles in my signature to
be interesting, particularly the one on "Clean Boot". I am not a fan of
spending money on apps that may save time and "do it all" for you-- they
are just as likely to screw things up further, besides. My "Clean Boot"
article explains how to perform maintenance on Windows 98 systems safely
and thoroughly, without spending any money on snake oil, and without
really costing you much more time.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
On".
> > | The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
> > |
> > | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there
something I
> > have
> > | not done?
> > |
> > | Problem 2:
> > | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get
the
> > error
> > | message:
> > |
> > | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components).
Make
> > sure the
> > | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> > available"
> > |
> > | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
> > |
> > | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the

Thanks, Haggis and PCR, I'm overwhelmed!
I'll study them in due course and let you know what happens.
Regards
PeterO
=====

> [...]
> | Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems
> with
> | Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
> anything I
> | should be doing.
> | I have not been offered the updates again.
> | Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
> although I
> | have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still
> struggle
> | to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
> efforts
> | that experts go to to explain things!
> | Best regards
> | PeterO
> | =====
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Try "START, Run, SysEdit" to see Config.sys. Badour's site is likely

You are welcome. Keep us informed.

(My list of installed criticals needs updating, as I have just taken in
the fixed KB891711 & a brand new critical Q890923. But I haven't reboot
yet.)

--
message news:uaR$MA3PFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
| > "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
| > 891711]
| > @=""
| > "DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
| > "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
| > C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"
| > ........EOQ.................
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in
| > message news:e13Bx%23mPFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
| > | Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to
| > |
| > | Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I
will
| > go
| > | through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I
| > would like
| > | your list of backup apps.
| > |
| > | Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking
| > through my
| > | log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed
3
| > Security
| > | Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
| > | After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
| > removed
| > | KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to
fix
| > the
| > | problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
| > | Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause
problems
| > with
| > | Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
| > anything I
| > | should be doing.
| > | I have not been offered the updates again.
| > | Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
| > although I
| > | have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I
still
| > struggle
| > | to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
| > efforts
| > | that experts go to to explain things!
| > | Best regards
| > | PeterO
| > | =====
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > all
| > ...snip

| (My list of installed criticals needs updating, as I have just taken
in
| the fixed KB891711 & a brand new critical Q890923. But I haven't
reboot
| yet.)

Here it is...

(A) At IE6, Help, About:
SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
Q891781, & Q890923.

(B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
Windows 98 TELNET

(C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

(1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
(2) Internet Explorer Q890923
(was Q891781, Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894,

| You are welcome. Keep us informed.

....snip

Thanks to both PCR & Gary
Regards
PeterO
=====

> [...]
> the
> > > HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.
> > >
> > > "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any
> partition. It
> > > discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
> > > HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
> > > Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
> > > your own.
> > >
> > > "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class,
> created
> > > by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
> > > "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?
> > >
> > > Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also
> have
> > > 384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

You are welcome.

--
message news:%23xHip2$PFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Thanks to both PCR & Gary
| Regards
| PeterO
| =====

....snip

| Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.

KB888113 was probably never a problem.
KB891711 Was recently fixed. Go back to Windows Update for it.
KB891781 was recently replaced by KB890923, which is at Windows Update
now.

Keep us informed.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,