Two problems - W98

I would appreciate some help with two problems I have.

Problem 1:
I run Windows 98 & normally run a defrag every week or so.
However when I tried to run it this week, it kept resetting (saying that
something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.

Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I have
not done?

Problem 2:
When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the error
message:

"Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make sure the
path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available"

I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.

It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first time I
have seen this message.

Thanks
PeterO
13 answers Last reply
More about problems

    See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

    You also may want to ensure that a virus or spyware is not causing the
    problem.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    >I would appreciate some help with two problems I have.
    >
    > Problem 1:
    > I run Windows 98 & normally run a defrag every week or so.
    > However when I tried to run it this week, it kept resetting (saying that
    > something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
    > Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
    > The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
    >
    > Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I have
    > not done?
    >
    > Problem 2:
    > When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
    > error
    > message:
    >
    > "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make sure
    > the
    > path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    > available"
    >
    > I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
    >
    > It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first time
    > have seen this message.
    >
    > Thanks
    > PeterO

    Try "START, Run, SysEdit" to see Config.sys. Badour's site is likely all
    you need. Nevertheless...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
    (When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
    must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
    REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
    system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
    HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
    your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in
    message news:ePtmY$cPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | I would appreciate some help with two problems I have.
    |
    | Problem 1:
    | I run Windows 98 & normally run a defrag every week or so.
    | However when I tried to run it this week, it kept resetting (saying
    that
    | something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
    | Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
    | The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
    |
    | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I
    have
    | not done?
    |
    | Problem 2:
    | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
    error
    | message:
    |
    | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make
    sure the
    | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    available"

    | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
    |
    | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first
    time I
    | have seen this message.
    |
    | Thanks
    | PeterO

    Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
    Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to find (if
    not impossible) from the site quoted.

    Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I will go
    through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I would like
    your list of backup apps.

    Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking through my
    log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed 3 Security
    Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
    After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I removed
    KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix the
    problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
    Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems with
    Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there anything I
    should be doing.
    I have not been offered the updates again.
    Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and although I
    have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still struggle
    to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the efforts
    that experts go to to explain things!
    Best regards
    PeterO
    =====

> [...]
    > | something had changed) and starting from fresh. even though I had set
    > | Wallpaper & ScreenSaver to "None", and the power saver to "Always On".
    > | The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
    > |
    > | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I
    > have
    > | not done?
    > |
    > | Problem 2:
    > | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
    > error
    > | message:
    > |
    > | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make
    > sure the
    > | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    > available"
    > |
    > | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
    > |
    > | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first

    KB891711 is the one with a problem on "some" machines...no resolution as of
    yet

> [...]
    >> |
    >> | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there something I
    >> have
    >> | not done?
    >> |
    >> | Problem 2:
    >> | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get the
    >> error
    >> | message:
    >> |
    >> | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components). Make
    >> sure the
    >> | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    >> available"
    >> |
    >> | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
    >> |
    >> | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the first
    >> time I
    >> | have seen this message.
    >> |
    >> | Thanks
    >> | PeterO

    | Yes, please, I would like your list of backup apps.

    Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
    install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
    guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
    the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
    up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
    you may need to change it back before a restore.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
    http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
    http://www.arjsoftware.com ARJ Archiver
    http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
    http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
    capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
    downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
    Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
    dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
    install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
    http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
    http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
    http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=co105en&p=hpcdwriter2
    Simple Backup
    http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
    http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
    http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
    http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
    yearly charge now.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
    http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
    http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
    http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
    http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump_details.phtml?stp Backup MyPC
    http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
    http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
    http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
    http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
    http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

    All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
    and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
    If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
    Scandisk/Defrag.

    http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

    Those last two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
    that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
    report/two & one that was so-so.

    --
    message news:e13Bx%23mPFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
    | Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to find
    (if
    | not impossible) from the site quoted.
    |
    | Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I will
    go
    | through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I
    would like
    | your list of backup apps.
    |
    | Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking
    through my
    | log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed 3
    Security
    | Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
    | After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
    removed
    | KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix
    the
    | problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
    | Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems
    with
    | Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
    anything I
    | should be doing.
    | I have not been offered the updates again.
    | Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
    although I
    | have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still
    struggle
    | to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
    efforts
    | that experts go to to explain things!
    | Best regards
    | PeterO
    | =====

    ....snip

    | Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
    | After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
    removed
    | KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix
    the
    | problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!

    Anything that periodically writes to the hard drive can cause constant
    restarts of Scandisk(Thorough, usually w/o write testing) & Defrag. But
    I don't know specifically that one of those does it.

    KB891781 shows up in "IE, Help, About" & in "Control Panel, Add/Remove
    Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"...

    "START, Find, F/F, 'Windows Update.log'". (Use double quotes around that
    name.) Click it for a possible clue inside. Otherwise...

    (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    & 891781.

    (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

    Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    Windows 98 TELNET

    (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

    (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

    | I have not been offered the updates again.

    Are you sure you uninstalled all three? I do know KB891711 may not
    uninstall fully by itself. Then, you must at least delete the two
    folders mentioned below for Windows Update to offer it again. OF COURSE,
    as Haggis said, it is that one which normally is the source of
    problematical experiences, meaning BS'sOD. So, wait for an announcement
    that the fix has been fixed, before trying again.

    .........Quote...............
    The install is really really a simple one though, and just for notation
    here is exactly what the simple install does, and from this it's easy to
    make sure the uninstall is complete if ever need be:

    (for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)

    C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
    891711UN.INF

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
    KB891711exe
    Q891711.dll

    (and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made no
    other changes)

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
    @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Locale"="EN"
    "Version"="4.10.0.2222"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService
    s]
    "KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Upda
    tes\W98\UPD891711]
    @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
    "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    891711]
    @=""
    "DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
    C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"
    .........EOQ.................

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in
    message news:e13Bx%23mPFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
    | Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to find
    (if
    | not impossible) from the site quoted.
    |
    | Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I will
    go
    | through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I
    would like
    | your list of backup apps.
    |
    | Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking
    through my
    | log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed 3
    Security
    | Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
    | After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
    removed
    | KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to fix
    the
    | problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
    | Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems
    with
    | Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
    anything I
    | should be doing.
    | I have not been offered the updates again.
    | Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
    although I
    | have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still
    struggle
    | to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
    efforts
    | that experts go to to explain things!
    | Best regards
    | PeterO
    | =====

    | > Try "START, Run, SysEdit" to see Config.sys. Badour's site is likely
    all
    | > you need. Nevertheless...
    ....snip

    Peter, being a "novice", you might find the articles in my signature to
    be interesting, particularly the one on "Clean Boot". I am not a fan of
    spending money on apps that may save time and "do it all" for you-- they
    are just as likely to screw things up further, besides. My "Clean Boot"
    article explains how to perform maintenance on Windows 98 systems safely
    and thoroughly, without spending any money on snake oil, and without
    really costing you much more time.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    On".
    > > | The only program that I could not "End Task" was Rnaapp.
    > > |
    > > | Is this the cause of the continual resetting, or is there
    something I
    > > have
    > > | not done?
    > > |
    > > | Problem 2:
    > > | When I enter "config.sys" to the "Run" screen (>Start>Run), I get
    the
    > > error
    > > | message:
    > > |
    > > | "Cannot find the file "config.sys" (or one of its components).
    Make
    > > sure the
    > > | path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    > > available"
    > > |
    > > | I am now completely lost and don't know what to do.
    > > |
    > > | It is some time since I have used "config.sys" and this is the

    Thanks, Haggis and PCR, I'm overwhelmed!
    I'll study them in due course and let you know what happens.
    Regards
    PeterO
    =====

> [...]
    > | Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause problems
    > with
    > | Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
    > anything I
    > | should be doing.
    > | I have not been offered the updates again.
    > | Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
    > although I
    > | have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I still
    > struggle
    > | to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
    > efforts
    > | that experts go to to explain things!
    > | Best regards
    > | PeterO
    > | =====
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Try "START, Run, SysEdit" to see Config.sys. Badour's site is likely

    You are welcome. Keep us informed.

    (My list of installed criticals needs updating, as I have just taken in
    the fixed KB891711 & a brand new critical Q890923. But I haven't reboot
    yet.)

    --
    message news:uaR$MA3PFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    | > "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    | > 891711]
    | > @=""
    | > "DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    | > "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
    | > C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"
    | > ........EOQ.................
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Peter Ostrolenk" <Peter.OstrolenkNO@SPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in
    | > message news:e13Bx%23mPFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | > | Thanks to Ron Badour and PCR for their replies.
    | > | Ron should know that "EndItAll2" is no longer free and is hard to
    | > |
    | > | Thanks very much to PCR for his(?) comprehensive reply, which I
    will
    | > go
    | > | through and do in due course, and keep you posted. Yes, please, I
    | > would like
    | > | your list of backup apps.
    | > |
    | > | Whether there is any connection or not, I don't know, but looking
    | > through my
    | > | log, on March 8th, via Windows Update, I downloaded and installed
    3
    | > Security
    | > | Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.
    | > | After a day of problems, frozen screens, reboots, scandisks etc, I
    | > removed
    | > | KB891711 & Q888113 by "Add/Remove Programs", and this seemed to
    fix
    | > the
    | > | problems! The 3rd one I couldn't find!
    | > | Now I have heard that one or other of these updates can cause
    problems
    | > with
    | > | Defrag. Do you know if there is any truth in this and is there
    | > anything I
    | > | should be doing.
    | > | I have not been offered the updates again.
    | > | Please remember I am a relative novice when it comes to PCs and
    | > although I
    | > | have had my PC for nearly seven years, as a "silver surfer" I
    still
    | > struggle
    | > | to understand Microsoft KB articles, AND I really appreciate the
    | > efforts
    | > | that experts go to to explain things!
    | > | Best regards
    | > | PeterO
    | > | =====
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > all
    | > ...snip

    | (My list of installed criticals needs updating, as I have just taken
    in
    | the fixed KB891711 & a brand new critical Q890923. But I haven't
    reboot
    | yet.)

    Here it is...

    (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    Q891781, & Q890923.

    (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

    Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    Windows 98 TELNET

    (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

    (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    (2) Internet Explorer Q890923
    (was Q891781, Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894,

    | You are welcome. Keep us informed.

    ....snip

    Thanks to both PCR & Gary
    Regards
    PeterO
    =====

> [...]
    > the
    > > > HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.
    > > >
    > > > "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any
    > partition. It
    > > > discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
    > > > HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
    > > > Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
    > > > your own.
    > > >
    > > > "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class,
    > created
    > > > by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    > > > "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?
    > > >
    > > > Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also
    > have
    > > > 384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    You are welcome.

    --
    message news:%23xHip2$PFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | Thanks to both PCR & Gary
    | Regards
    | PeterO
    | =====

    ....snip

    | Updates, KB888113, KB891711 & KB891781.

    KB888113 was probably never a problem.
    KB891711 Was recently fixed. Go back to Windows Update for it.
    KB891781 was recently replaced by KB890923, which is at Windows Update
    now.

    Keep us informed.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,