Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

defragging a large disc via controller card in Win98

Tags:
  • Controller
  • Defragment
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:00:10 PM

Will the standard defrag handle the drive with more than 137GB space
and/or data on a controller card?
Do I have to use one of the better defrag proggies?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1129192

More about : defragging large disc controller card win98

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 9:09:51 PM

duradan wrote:
> Will the standard defrag handle the drive with more than 137GB space
> and/or data on a controller card?

No, W98x defrag nor scandisk will not work with partitions above
128GB (137 billion bytes) - that is a known limitation. The only way around
that is easy and recommended to do is re-partition your drive to have
smaller than 128 GB partitions if you want to use scandisk or defrag with
W98x

The other limitation of W98x is as it exists does not support larger than
137GB drives; however, as you mentioned using a controller card is an
excellent way to resolve that particular limitation.

Rick

> Do I have to use one of the better defrag proggies?

> request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
April 11, 2005 12:51:10 AM

I replied this morning, but the MS servers were down for maintenance and of course
lost my posts, repeated below:

No. Although you can partition a disk up to 137GB, Win98's native Scandisk and
Defrag will not function on partitions greater than 127GB. There are no fixes
available for this limitation, aside from using third-party tools.
See:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win98.ht...

Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I noticed in your headers that you
are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that they are simply sending
your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are unnecessarily using a middleman?

Visit us using a newsreader at:
to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!

How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
forums:
http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"duradan" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Will the standard defrag handle the drive with more than 137GB space
> and/or data on a controller card?
> Do I have to use one of the better defrag proggies?

> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1129192
April 11, 2005 2:24:27 AM

Maybe its just as well. I mean, when the disk space is that large (like
over 100 GB), it kinda makes sense to partition it, anyways, doesn't it?

glee wrote:
> I replied this morning, but the MS servers were down for maintenance and
of
> course lost my posts, repeated below:
>
> No. Although you can partition a disk up to 137GB, Win98's native
Scandisk
> and Defrag will not function on partitions greater than 127GB. There are
no
> fixes available for this limitation, aside from using third-party tools.
> See:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win98.ht...
>

> Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I noticed in your headers
> that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that they
are
> simply sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are
> unnecessarily using a middleman?
>
> Visit us using a newsreader at:
> to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!
>
> How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the
> Microsoft forums:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
>
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "duradan" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>> Will the standard defrag handle the drive with more than 137GB space
>> and/or data on a controller card?
>> Do I have to use one of the better defrag proggies?
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
ller-card-Win98-ftopict356301.html
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
April 11, 2005 4:30:59 AM

Usually, yes, for most "normal" usage.....but I can see where someone using the
drive solely for storage of large files (video files, or mp3 or other music files),
there might not be a reason to have anything but one large partition.
--

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Maybe its just as well. I mean, when the disk space is that large (like
> over 100 GB), it kinda makes sense to partition it, anyways, doesn't it?
>
> glee wrote:
> > I replied this morning, but the MS servers were down for maintenance and
> of
> > course lost my posts, repeated below:
> >
> > No. Although you can partition a disk up to 137GB, Win98's native
> Scandisk
> > and Defrag will not function on partitions greater than 127GB. There are
> no
> > fixes available for this limitation, aside from using third-party tools.
> > See:
> > http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win98.ht...
> >

> > Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I noticed in your headers
> > that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that they
> are
> > simply sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are
> > unnecessarily using a middleman?
> >
> > Visit us using a newsreader at:
> > to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!
> >
> > How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the
> > Microsoft forums:
> > http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
> >
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
> >
> > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "duradan" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> >> Will the standard defrag handle the drive with more than 137GB space
> >> and/or data on a controller card?
> >> Do I have to use one of the better defrag proggies?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> >> Topic URL:
> >
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
> ller-card-Win98-ftopict356301.html
> >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1129192

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 4:31:00 AM

Yeah, but even 100 GB partitions for video ain't TOO shabby. Granted,
you might not be able to put ALL your video in one partition, so one could
make a "partition library", if need be. But admitedly, if you're really,
really into video, that limitation could be a bit annoying.

glee wrote:
> Usually, yes, for most "normal" usage.....but I can see where someone
using
> the drive solely for storage of large files (video files, or mp3 or other
> music files), there might not be a reason to have anything but one large
> partition. --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Maybe its just as well. I mean, when the disk space is that large (like
>> over 100 GB), it kinda makes sense to partition it, anyways, doesn't it?
>>
>> glee wrote:
>>> I replied this morning, but the MS servers were down for maintenance and
>>> of course lost my posts, repeated below:
>>>
>>> No. Although you can partition a disk up to 137GB, Win98's native
>> Scandisk
>>> and Defrag will not function on partitions greater than 127GB. There are
>>> no fixes available for this limitation, aside from using third-party
tools.
>>> See:
>>> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win98.ht...
>>>
>>> Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I noticed in your
headers
>>> that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that
they
>>> are simply sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are
>>> unnecessarily using a middleman?
>>>
>>> Visit us using a newsreader at:
>>> to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!
>>>
>>> How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the
>>> Microsoft forums:
>>> http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
>>>
>>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
>>>
>>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...
>>> --
>>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>>>
>>> "duradan" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

>> request

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
>> ller-card-Win98-ftopict356301.html
>>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1129192
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 5:51:52 AM

The last two posts are both right. I will end up with about 140GB of data,
,MP2, MP3 as well as .mov and MPEG files. It would be nice to have them on
a single 'drive'. And my useage is anything BUT normal.
I want one partition, so for now it is a 120GB with open space for later
addition. I expect I will XP myself sooner or later......bleh

> Yeah, but even 100 GB partitions for video ain't TOO shabby. Granted,
> you might not be able to put ALL your video in one partition, so one could
> make a "partition library", if need be. But admitedly, if you're really,
> really into video, that limitation could be a bit annoying.
>
> glee wrote:
> > Usually, yes, for most "normal" usage.....but I can see where someone
> using
> > the drive solely for storage of large files (video files, or mp3 or
other
> > music files), there might not be a reason to have anything but one large
> > partition. --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> Maybe its just as well. I mean, when the disk space is that large
(like
> >> over 100 GB), it kinda makes sense to partition it, anyways, doesn't
it?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 5:53:15 AM

Well, I've separated the video and audio stuff into their own separate
partitions. That helps.

Actually, in retrospect, I like the separation there, as the utilities
associated with them (audio and video) are also delineated that way too, in
so far as the working directories are concerned. It feels better organized
to me at this point. I used to have all of it in one partition, but this
is working out nicely for me, and if you ever opted for doing this, you
could use all of that drive right now. Anyway, just throwing that idea
out there. (BTW, I have equal size partitions for both - an easy
decision)

Duradan wrote:
> The last two posts are both right. I will end up with about 140GB of data,
> ,MP2, MP3 as well as .mov and MPEG files. It would be nice to have them
on
> a single 'drive'. And my useage is anything BUT normal.
> I want one partition, so for now it is a 120GB with open space for later
> addition. I expect I will XP myself sooner or later......bleh
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Yeah, but even 100 GB partitions for video ain't TOO shabby. Granted,
>> you might not be able to put ALL your video in one partition, so one
could
>> make a "partition library", if need be. But admitedly, if you're
really,
>> really into video, that limitation could be a bit annoying.
>>
>> glee wrote:
>>> Usually, yes, for most "normal" usage.....but I can see where someone
using
>>> the drive solely for storage of large files (video files, or mp3 or
other
>>> music files), there might not be a reason to have anything but one large
>>> partition. --
>>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
it?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:15:18 AM

Well, I have to admit, it really isn't so bad. I've got almost all the stuff
I needed in once place finally in one place. Whew. I have to give some
credit to Maxtor's MaxBlast software. Made partitioning and formatting a
breeze and was instant, within seconds. Transfers via it's file transfer was
also faster than I expected. Cleanup, Scandisk and Defrag went smooth and
easy with the standard Win98SE proggies.
I actually can get rid of many duplicates hiding under different names and
there is some recompiling and recompressing, so it looks like I can get it
down to 120 and under and one one partition for now as well.
Thanks for the help guys, I look forward to being able to somehow help back.

"duradan" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Will the standard defrag handle the drive with more than 137GB space
> and/or data on a controller card?
> Do I have to use one of the better defrag proggies?

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defragg...
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1129192
April 17, 2005 4:49:02 AM

The best way to help us out is to learn about computers and then post here to
help other people and maybe in the 2000 or XP newsgroup as well.