help win 98 setup

can anyone help with the code munber for the setup in win 98.

it is a disk for setup with a new pc and no number is on it.

any help would be appreciated
23 answers Last reply
More about help setup

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232142
    Troubleshooting "Invalid Product Key" Error Message During Setup

    (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

    (1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
    "Windows".
    (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

    That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
    down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
    or CD case.

    (B) Microsoft: 1 800 642-7676, last I knew. Perhaps they will respond to
    an original tale, if you can come up with it. Tell them a TIF monster
    swallowed it!

    (C) Not all numbers will work on all machines, especially if the OS is
    different. Have you ever foolishly posted your number? Then, try...
    http://www.google.com/ Groups
    ....put your name & "ProductKey" into the search.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Maurice Byrne" <maur1ce@eircom.net> wrote in message
    | can anyone help with the code munber for the setup in win 98.
    |
    | it is a disk for setup with a new pc and no number is on it.
    |
    | any help would be appreciated

    The W98 ProductKey is generally found on the Windows user manual, the
    certificate of authenticity, a sticker on the PC or a sticker on the sleeve
    or jewel case the Windows CD came in. The 25-digit key is 5 groups of 5
    alpha/numeric characters. The Key might be available from the system:

    If the system is working in either safe or normal mode:

    Open regedit.exe to this key and look in the right pane for the entry
    ProductKey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

    If the system is not working, start the computer with a floppy startup disk.

    At the A: prompt, type: C:\Windows\Command\Find /N "ProductKey"
    C:\Windows\System.dat
    (Note: ProductKey must be typed in upper and lower case letters as shown
    and there is a space after: "Find" after: "/N" and after:
    "ProductKey"

    If the hard drive has been formatted or replaced, US customers can contact
    Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue retail and OEM product keys
    after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

    I suggest writing the ProductKey on the CD with a Sharpie marker.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Maurice Byrne" <maur1ce@eircom.net> wrote in message
    > can anyone help with the code munber for the setup in win 98.
    >
    > it is a disk for setup with a new pc and no number is on it.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated

    ">
    > (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...

    "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    still crack me up)

    janey

    I'm not saying which one was best, (A), (B), or (C).

    --
    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    | ">
    | > (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...
    |
    | "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    | still crack me up)
    |
    | janey

    PCR is Cool!

    "PCR" wrote:

    > I'm not saying which one was best, (A), (B), or (C).
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > |
    > | ">
    > | > (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...
    > |
    > | "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    > | still crack me up)
    > |
    > | janey

    Well, it is still 41º out, but thanks.

    --
    | PCR is Cool!
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > I'm not saying which one was best, (A), (B), or (C).
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | ">
    | > |
    | > | "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    | > | still crack me up)
    | > |
    | > | janey
    | > |
    | > |

    40+ degrees hotter here -- it has been in the 80's in Tucson, Arizona.

    "PCR" wrote:

    > Well, it is still 41º out, but thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | PCR is Cool!
    > |
    > | "PCR" wrote:
    > |
    > | > I'm not saying which one was best, (A), (B), or (C).
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    OK, then.

    --
    | 40+ degrees hotter here -- it has been in the 80's in Tucson, Arizona.
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > Well, it is still 41º out, but thanks.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | PCR is Cool!
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > ">
    > > (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...
    >
    > "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    > still crack me up)
    >
    > janey

    maybe the inference was "to the MS god".

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > ">
    > > (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...
    >
    > "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    > still crack me up)
    >
    > janey

    I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    Harper!

    --
    "E_Net_Rider" <E_Net_Rider@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | maybe the inference was "to the MS god".
    |
    | "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    | >
    | > ">
    | > > (A) You must pray for one now, if you have wiped it from...
    | >
    | > "Pray" pcr? is this the best advice you can give. (heh heh, you
    | > still crack me up)
    | >
    | > janey

    Somebody taking my name in vain again? :-)

    >I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    > Harper!

    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > >I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    > > Harper!

    wow, where did this post get dug up from.

    > I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    > Harper!

    Only when they realise that they are 'mvp's' of a product that came
    from the earth of which was given by god, only then can they
    really have a title by their name, one that has any real relevance.

    realization mostly comes to the meek and willing, and that is why
    so many books on theology & philosophy are on bookshelves in
    mvp's homes......... its because they are searching for the truth
    but dont 'realise' they have to go through 'acceptance' before they
    can have it.

    mvp's can 'know' computers, but can they know the truth?

    every body is good at something, but not everyone at everything.
    an mvp probably couldnt do work on his own car..... or plan
    and build an upper storey extention.
    am i getting through.

    janey...... or am I?

    Jane: This is not a religious newsgroup--take your views to an appropriate
    forum please.

    PCR: Please quit egging her on. Even though you are trying to be humorous,
    you are as guilty of spamming the group as she is.

    No, I am not the internet cop--I am a user just like the rest of you but I
    am tired of reading this stuff when I expect to read about computer
    problems. No responses required nor will I comment further. Thanks for
    your cooperation.
    --

    "jane" <jane@internet.com.au> wrote in message

    >> I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    >> Harper!
    >
    > Only when they realise that they are 'mvp's' of a product that came
    > from the earth of which was given by god, only then can they
    > really have a title by their name, one that has any real relevance.
    >
    > realization mostly comes to the meek and willing, and that is why
    > so many books on theology & philosophy are on bookshelves in
    > mvp's homes......... its because they are searching for the truth
    > but dont 'realise' they have to go through 'acceptance' before they
    > can have it.
    >
    > mvp's can 'know' computers, but can they know the truth?
    >
    > every body is good at something, but not everyone at everything.
    > an mvp probably couldnt do work on his own car..... or plan
    > and build an upper storey extention.
    > am i getting through.
    >
    > janey...... or am I?

    You have no ProductID to bestow upon Byrne? Never mind! I DON'T want to
    start a lightning bolt tosser between you & Badour! He can drop them on
    your head from his propeller plane!

    --
    | Somebody taking my name in vain again? :-)
    |
    | --
    | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | >I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    | > Harper!

    What about Harper, then?

    --
    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    | Jane: This is not a religious newsgroup--take your views to an
    appropriate
    | forum please.
    |
    | PCR: Please quit egging her on. Even though you are trying to be
    humorous,
    | you are as guilty of spamming the group as she is.
    |
    | No, I am not the internet cop--I am a user just like the rest of you
    but I
    | am tired of reading this stuff when I expect to read about computer
    | problems. No responses required nor will I comment further. Thanks
    for
    | your cooperation.
    | --
    | Regards
    |
    | Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    | Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    | Knowledge Base Info:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    |
    | "jane" <jane@internet.com.au> wrote in message
    | >
    | >> I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    | >> Harper!
    | >
    | > Only when they realise that they are 'mvp's' of a product that came
    | > from the earth of which was given by god, only then can they
    | > really have a title by their name, one that has any real relevance.
    | >
    | > realization mostly comes to the meek and willing, and that is why
    | > so many books on theology & philosophy are on bookshelves in
    | > mvp's homes......... its because they are searching for the
    truth
    | > but dont 'realise' they have to go through 'acceptance' before they
    | > can have it.
    | >
    | > mvp's can 'know' computers, but can they know the truth?
    | >
    | > every body is good at something, but not everyone at everything.
    | > an mvp probably couldnt do work on his own car..... or plan
    | > and build an upper storey extention.
    | > am i getting through.
    | >
    | > janey...... or am I?

    Careful, whoever, or you may end up in Win3.yuk!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "jane" <jane@internet.com.au> wrote in message

    | > I think the MVPs will take your prayers, too. Try, uh, PA Bear or
    | > Harper!
    |
    | Only when they realise that they are 'mvp's' of a product that came
    | from the earth of which was given by god, only then can they
    | really have a title by their name, one that has any real relevance.
    |
    | realization mostly comes to the meek and willing, and that is why
    | so many books on theology & philosophy are on bookshelves in
    | mvp's homes......... its because they are searching for the truth
    | but dont 'realise' they have to go through 'acceptance' before they
    | can have it.
    |
    | mvp's can 'know' computers, but can they know the truth?
    |
    | every body is good at something, but not everyone at everything.
    | an mvp probably couldnt do work on his own car..... or plan
    | and build an upper storey extention.
    | am i getting through.
    |
    | janey...... or am I?

    What about him?

    > What about Harper, then?
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are not allowed to post to this thread, I'm sure Badour has said!
    Who are you betting in the Preakness, Greeley's Galaxy, Wilco, or High
    Fly? Surely not Noble Causeway?

    --
    | What about him?
    |
    | --
    | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | > What about Harper, then?

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Preakness?
    Oh, a horse race.

    I am not qualified to bet on where a horse is going, but from my viewpoint I
    always know where the horse has been. :-)

    > You are not allowed to post to this thread, I'm sure Badour has said!
    > Who are you betting in the Preakness, Greeley's Galaxy, Wilco, or High
    > Fly? Surely not Noble Causeway?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > | What about him?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    > | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    > | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    > | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > What about Harper, then?

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I wasn't qualified, either, looks like. OK, then. OK, bye.

    --
    | Preakness?
    | Oh, a horse race.
    |
    | I am not qualified to bet on where a horse is going, but from my
    viewpoint I
    | always know where the horse has been. :-)
    |
    | --
    | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | > You are not allowed to post to this thread, I'm sure Badour has
    said!
    | > Who are you betting in the Preakness, Greeley's Galaxy, Wilco, or
    High
    | > Fly? Surely not Noble Causeway?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    | > | What about him?
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | > | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | > | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | > | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | > | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > |

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Maurice Byrne Wrote:
    > can anyone help with the code munber for the setup in win 98.
    >
    > it is a disk for setup with a new pc and no number is on it.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated There is a DOS switch for setup
    without a key-code-if I could only remember it -DARN.IF you could help
    me
    (confidentially) with the recipe for COCACOLA it might stimulate these
    old
    memory cells,AKA RAM! Searching the Registry as suggested is xlnt.
    To SETUP without a previous version (which I suspect will be your next
    Q)
    the switch is /NTLDR .

    --
    deodar