Computer Freezing, and Now Dead: No POST, No Display

blackfire83

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hi everyone. First-time user, but I hope you won't mind. I'm in dire need of your expertise...

Guess I should post my specs first:

A-Bit KN8 Motherboard
525W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3200
2 sticks of 1 GB Patriot RAM
A-Bit ATI Radeon RX600 Pro-Guru Video Card

All of this is brand-new (less than 2 months old). I just built the computer recently. Anyway, on to my problem...

I got home from work today and sat down at the computer like usual. A few minutes in, the computer froze. Cursor wouldn't move, keyboard didn't do anything. Display frozen. Like a good, ol-fashioned freeze. I was shocked, as I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

So I rebooted the computer and ran the virus scan. This time, it freezes in the middle of the virus scan... Not good. So I reboot, close all other programs, and run another virus scan. This one goes through, and comes up empty... So I start running a few programs, and go about my business.

The computer freezes AGAIN. So I think perhaps it's one of the programs. I use different programs, and the computer works for several hours. However, it then freezes YET AGAIN, only this time, after it freezes, the screen goes blank and is replaced by garbled colors, with what likes like a garbled message from the monitor saying something about an input error...

So I try to reboot again... Only this time, the computer doesn't reboot. No POST beep (I would usually have one), no error beeps, and no display. I try to reboot several more times, and I get nothing. I take out all the other cards, still nothing. The monitor works on another computer, so it's not that.

I even removed the battery for half an hour and put it back in. Still nothing. No POST, no beeps, no display.

My gut instinct tells me that it's the video card gone bad (though it shouldn't be). Unfortunately, the video card is PCIE, and I don't have another other computers available with PCIE slots to test it on. Also, I don't have an AGP slot in my motherboard, so I have no other video cards I can test in the computer.

Do I have any other options short of purchasing a new video card? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Dan

blackfire83

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I've tried the memory, it's not that.

I should also point out that I took the video card out and tried to boot up... This time it seemed to POST, as I got an error beep (presumably pointing out that I didn't have a video card). With the video card in, there's no beep at all.

-Dan