KB891711 - Any resolution yet?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 10, 2005 1:58:21 PM

Well, it's been over a month since Microsoft unleashed this turd of an
update. After 20+ years of using computers (but still a novice at how
they work at the system level) this is the worst computer disaster I
have ever encountered. It is a classic case of “The operation
succeeded, but the patient died,” complete with blue screens. Before I
went out of town for three weeks, I spent more than 50 hours trying to
figure out what was wrong. While out of town I discovered this
newsgroup, and spent more hours pouring over more than 5,000 posts. (I
really feel sorry for users, like my mother, aged 89, who would not know
a newsgroup from a browser.)

From these posts I learned:
1) The fix is to uninstall KB891711. I did, and everything returned to
normal on the next reboot.

But most questions and suggestions about the cause were never resolved:
2) The problem seems mostly to affect dial up connections (like mine);
but some cable connections have problems too.
3) The problem may be related to video cards or lack of them (like mine,
I think).
4) The problem may be related to other installed hardware and/or
software not yet identified.
5) The problem is not exclusive to IE, but also affects Netscape and
Firefox machines (like mine).
6) The upgrade may or may not even be needed in Windows 98, depending on
whether you believe what Microsoft wrote or what some of its employees
are now saying.
7) Microsoft is aware of the problems and was close to being able to
duplicate them about three weeks ago.

One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how “critical” they are labeled.

My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
Naturally, I am most interested in the definitive answer to number 6, above.

Paul in San Francisco

More about : kb891711 resolution

April 12, 2005 8:33:05 AM

Just be aware Paul M. that by unistalling KB891711 your machine is now open
to attack by any hacker that writes code to attack vulnerable machines
without this patch. Hopefully one of the updates by Microsoft today will fix
this patch to tie it more to the operating system and not just make it a
running service but if it is not fixed today then I think June or July would
be a good guess because remember 98SE is not a priority and XP PRO. SP 2 is
the priority now although I do like 98SE better myself. Have a nice day!

!