KB891711 -- Any resolution yet?

Well, it's been over a month since Microsoft unleashed this t*rd of an
update. After 20+ years of using computers (but still a novice at how
they work at the system level) this is the worst computer disaster I
have ever encountered. It is a classic case of “the operation
succeeded, but the patient died,” complete with blue screens. Before I
went out of town for three weeks, I spent more than 50 hours trying to
figure out what was wrong. While out of town I discovered this
newsgroup, and spent more hours pouring over more than 5,000 posts. I
definitely feel sorry for users, like my mom, aged 89, who would not
know a newsgroup from a browser but who might trust that Microsoft's own
Critical Updates would do no harm.

From these posts I learned:
1) The fix is to uninstall KB891711. I did, and everything returned to
normal on the next reboot.

But most questions and suggestions about the cause were never resolved
as far as I could see:
2) The problem seems to affect mostly dial up connections (like mine);
but some cable connections have problems too.
3) The problem may be related to video cards or lack of them (like mine,
I think).
4) The problem may be related to other installed hardware and/or
software not yet identified.
5) The problem is not exclusive to IE, but also affects Netscape and
Firefox machines (like mine).
6) The upgrade may or may not even be needed in Windows 98, depending on
whether you believe what Microsoft initially wrote or what some of its
employees are now saying.
7) Microsoft is aware of the problems and was close to being able to
duplicate them about three weeks ago.

One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how “critical” they are labeled.

My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?

Paul in San Francisco

Consider reading some of the ongoing, related threads here, Paul.

See this recent post here from MS:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security/msg/399ff690be41f455

1. Uninstall 891711.

2. Call 1-866-PCSAFETY and indicate that you are having issues with a
security update.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

PA Bear wrote:
> Consider reading some of the ongoing, related threads here, Paul.

As I said in my original post, I read 5000+ other posts in this group
before posting here.

> See this recent post here from MS:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security/msg/399ff690be41f455

This tells me that as of 3/25/05 Microsoft was still working on it.
Hence, my question stands: any resolution yet?

Paul in San Francisco

Have you called 1-866-PCSAFETY?

We need users having problems with 891711 to contact MS so (1) they can
figure out in what environment(s) the patch causes problems and (2) then fix
it. IOW we need /your/ help.
--
~PA Bear

> Have you called 1-866-PCSAFETY?
>
> We need users having problems with 891711 to contact MS so (1) they can
> figure out in what environment(s) the patch causes problems and (2) then
fix
> it. IOW we need /your/ help.
> --
> ~PA Bear

Just thought I'd throw this out there: in addition to users having problems,
would there be any benefit to users NOT having problems to call
1-866-PCSAFETY? At least MS would have a more complete picture of what
configs DO and DON'T have the 891711 problems. Perhaps that would help them
narrow down the precise _conditions_ for the 891711 problems: i.e.,
"everyone who's NOT having problems does NOT have file sharing on"...or
"everyone who's NOT having problems is NOT on dialup, and/or not running a
software firewall...". Just a thought.

I'm not having any problems with it (knocks on wood), and haven't called.

Yeah, call them. Maybe after enough calls, they will get a better picture. The
last info I have heard re: the issue was that those testing at MS had been able to
reproduce the problem. I do not know if they have enough input yet to determine
*which* factors are cauing the problem, though.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Paul M" <pmr921@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
>
> Paul in San Francisco

I downloaded that update. It shows in msconfig startup. I have not had
any problems with it, whatsoever.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Emrys Davies wrote:
> "Paul M" <pmr921@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>>My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
>>
>>Paul in San Francisco
>

> I downloaded that update. It shows in msconfig startup. I have not had
> any problems with it, whatsoever.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

Well, you are obviously one of the lucky ones. But many others who have
posted here in the past month are still looking for a way to keep our
computers secure AND running at the same time.
Paul in San Francisco

Mel

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3btp7pF6k3iv3U1@individual.net...

> "Paul M" <pmr921@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
> >
> > Paul in San Francisco
>
> I downloaded that update. It shows in msconfig startup. I have not had
> any problems with it, whatsoever.

Well, I've had a few problems with kb891711.exe conflicting
with other software:-.

With Etrust Firewall 3.7x - the ZoneAlarm Pro version, the PC would
hang when the firewall's User Interface loaded. Removing the kb891711
start-up entry and running after Etrust (ZAP) had fully loaded got around
this and didn't cause any subsequent problem. I've since switched to the
latest ZoneAlarm Free which works fine with kb891711 running at
start-up.

I still get problems with A-squared anti-trojan www.emsisoft.com :
After running the online update program and checking for updates,
running IE causes a BSOD (Fatal Error 06 0000:0000FA00 )
killing kb891711 (or rebooting) allows IE to run without an error.

Also I've noticed that when I log off Windows then kb891711.exe
terminates and doesn't restart when I log back on.(I often have to
do this to unfreeze the desktop after deleting files -an old problem).

One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how “critical” they are labeled.

> My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
>
> Paul in San Francisco

Paul in cisco.......
I Agree with you 110%.
I dont trust them at all.
I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
runs better than any ppls here.
Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
a problem.

janey

The fact is that a very small minority of people have trouble with updates, and that
is often due to interference from background apps during installation. The vast
majority of users who update have no problem whatsoever, and you simply don't see
any reports in the newsgroups saying "I updated and I had no problem". Why would
anyone post to report "nothing"? People only report problems, not successes. I
have done countless updates on innumerable systems and have yet to have a problem
with almost any of them.
--

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
> trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how "critical" they are labeled.
>
> > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
> >
> > Paul in San Francisco
>
> Paul in cisco.......
> I Agree with you 110%.
> I dont trust them at all.
> I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
> runs better than any ppls here.
> Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
> and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
> problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
> a problem.
>
> janey

I have never had a problem with any Windows Updates.
If you go to that group, you will see the problems some people experience after each is released. After awhile you will be able to determine the most common causes of failures for yourself.
--
mae

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message news:Owzt%23eqPFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
| trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how “critical” they are labeled.
|
| > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
| >
| > Paul in San Francisco
|
| Paul in cisco.......
| I Agree with you 110%.
| I dont trust them at all.
| I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
| runs better than any ppls here.
| Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
| and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
| problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
| a problem.
|
| janey

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Robear see my post as to why KB891711 is critical to security. It also talks
about the critical vulnerability in the April issue of PC Today. Have a
great day, Robear.
<smile>

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Consider reading some of the ongoing, related threads here, Paul.
>
> See this recent post here from MS:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security/msg/399ff690be41f455
>
> 1. Uninstall 891711.
>
> 2. Call 1-866-PCSAFETY and indicate that you are having issues with a
> security update.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx
>

> Paul M wrote:
> > Well, it's been over a month since Microsoft unleashed this t*rd of an
> > update. After 20+ years of using computers (but still a novice at how
> > they work at the system level) this is the worst computer disaster I
> > have ever encountered. It is a classic case of "the operation
> > succeeded, but the patient died," complete with blue screens. Before I
> > went out of town for three weeks, I spent more than 50 hours trying to
> > figure out what was wrong. While out of town I discovered this
> > newsgroup, and spent more hours pouring over more than 5,000 posts. I
> > definitely feel sorry for users, like my mom, aged 89, who would not
> > know a newsgroup from a browser but who might trust that Microsoft's own
> > Critical Updates would do no harm.
> >
> > From these posts I learned:
> > 1) The fix is to uninstall KB891711. I did, and everything returned to
> > normal on the next reboot.
> >
> > But most questions and suggestions about the cause were never resolved
> > as far as I could see:
> > 2) The problem seems to affect mostly dial up connections (like mine);
> > but some cable connections have problems too.
> > 3) The problem may be related to video cards or lack of them (like mine,
> > I think).
> > 4) The problem may be related to other installed hardware and/or
> > software not yet identified.
> > 5) The problem is not exclusive to IE, but also affects Netscape and
> > Firefox machines (like mine).
> > 6) The upgrade may or may not even be needed in Windows 98, depending on
> > whether you believe what Microsoft initially wrote or what some of its
> > employees are now saying.
> > 7) Microsoft is aware of the problems and was close to being able to
> > duplicate them about three weeks ago.
> >
> > One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
> > trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how "critical" they are labeled.
> >
> > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
> >
> > Paul in San Francisco

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Exactly, Glen. I am happy to say KB891711 works great on my machine but it
still dows seem odd to have it as a running task. :eek:

"glee" wrote:

> The fact is that a very small minority of people have trouble with updates, and that
> is often due to interference from background apps during installation. The vast
> majority of users who update have no problem whatsoever, and you simply don't see
> any reports in the newsgroups saying "I updated and I had no problem". Why would
> anyone post to report "nothing"? People only report problems, not successes. I
> have done countless updates on innumerable systems and have yet to have a problem
> with almost any of them.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
> > trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how "critical" they are labeled.
> >
> > > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
> > >
> > > Paul in San Francisco
> >
> > Paul in cisco.......
> > I Agree with you 110%.
> > I dont trust them at all.
> > I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
> > runs better than any ppls here.
> > Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
> > and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
> > problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
> > a problem.
> >
> > janey

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mae, in your opinion is a lack of user expertise the most common cause of
failure of these Microsoft updates? <no offense anyone, I am just curious>
Thanks mae and have a good day!

"mae" wrote:

> I have never had a problem with any Windows Updates.
> If you go to that group, you will see the problems some people experience after each is released. After awhile you will be able to determine the most common causes of failures for yourself.
> --
> mae
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message news:Owzt%23eqPFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
> | trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how “critical� they are labeled.
> |
> | > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
> | >
> | > Paul in San Francisco
> |
> | Paul in cisco.......
> | I Agree with you 110%.
> | I dont trust them at all.
> | I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
> | runs better than any ppls here.
> | Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
> | and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
> | problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
> | a problem.
> |
> | janey

The word I have this morning is that the patch was *just* re-released for Win9x....I
assume with a fix for the reported problems.
--

> PA Bear wrote:
> > Consider reading some of the ongoing, related threads here, Paul.
>
> As I said in my original post, I read 5000+ other posts in this group
> before posting here.
>
> > See this recent post here from MS:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security/msg/399ff690be41f455

> This tells me that as of 3/25/05 Microsoft was still working on it.
> Hence, my question stands: any resolution yet?
>
> Paul in San Francisco

HAGGIS

> Yes! See "891711/MS05-002 Updated (fixed) for Win9x" in this newsgroup.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

thks PA!

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Robear. That is what I was thinking too but I wanted a confirmation
from an expert. <smile>

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Yes! See "891711/MS05-002 Updated (fixed) for Win9x" in this newsgroup.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

Third party.
--
mae

| Mae, in your opinion is a lack of user expertise the most common cause of
| failure of these Microsoft updates? <no offense anyone, I am just
curious>
| Thanks mae and have a good day!
|
| "mae" wrote:
|
| > I have never had a problem with any Windows Updates.
| > If you go to that group, you will see the problems some people
experience after each is released. After awhile you will be able to
determine the most common causes of failures for yourself.
| > --
| > mae
| >
| > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
| > | One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
| > | trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how “critical� they are labeled.
| > |

| > |
| > | Paul in cisco.......
| > | I Agree with you 110%.
| > | I dont trust them at all.
| > | I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
| > | runs better than any ppls here.
| > | Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
| > | and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
| > | problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
| > | a problem.
| > |
| > | janey
| > |
| > |

Thats rubbish I too had vowed never to do another 'update' again
however I lapsed for some reason and that update screwed my machine.

In fact the reason I lapsed is that another fault in windows set my
homepage to microshit windows update and like a fool I clicked
auto update.

The updates prior to that have always introduced some
detramental effect.

Think I will go back to my instalation disk and remove all updates.

The fast majoriy of people don't update their machines for obvious
reasons ie they like their computer to *work*.

> The fact is that a very small minority of people have trouble with
updates, and that
> is often due to interference from background apps during installation.
The vast
> majority of users who update have no problem whatsoever, and you simply
don't see
> any reports in the newsgroups saying "I updated and I had no problem".
Why would
> anyone post to report "nothing"? People only report problems, not
successes. I
> have done countless updates on innumerable systems and have yet to have a
problem
> with almost any of them.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
> > trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how "critical" they are labeled.
> >
> > > My bottom line question is whether there has been any solution yet?
> > >
> > > Paul in San Francisco
> >
> > Paul in cisco.......
> > I Agree with you 110%.
> > I dont trust them at all.
> > I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
> > runs better than any ppls here.
> > Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
> > and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
> > problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
> > a problem.
> >
> > janey

Now THAT'S rubbish!
Just what these groups need...another Troll.
--

"Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Thats rubbish I too had vowed never to do another 'update' again
> however I lapsed for some reason and that update screwed my machine.
>
> In fact the reason I lapsed is that another fault in windows set my
> homepage to microshit windows update and like a fool I clicked
> auto update.
>
> The updates prior to that have always introduced some
> detramental effect.
>
> Think I will go back to my instalation disk and remove all updates.
>
> The fast majoriy of people don't update their machines for obvious
> reasons ie they like their computer to *work*.

> > The fact is that a very small minority of people have trouble with
> updates, and that
> > is often due to interference from background apps during installation.
> The vast
> > majority of users who update have no problem whatsoever, and you simply
> don't see
> > any reports in the newsgroups saying "I updated and I had no problem".
> Why would
> > anyone post to report "nothing"? People only report problems, not
> successes. I
> > have done countless updates on innumerable systems and have yet to have a
> problem
> > with almost any of them.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > > One last thing I have definitely learned from this fiasco is not to
> > > trust Microsoft Updates, no matter how "critical" they are labeled.

> > > Paul in cisco.......
> > > I Agree with you 110%.
> > > I dont trust them at all.
> > > I have minimal "so called Updates" on my comp', and my comp'
> > > runs better than any ppls here.
> > > Every time I read a post in this group regarding someone who went
> > > and did an update from m/s, their post is always filled with the
> > > problems that followed........ never a perfect transition, always
> > > a problem.
> > >
> > > janey

Rich words coming from the mouth of an arse-licker.

> Now THAT'S rubbish!
> Just what these groups need...another Troll.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Thats rubbish I too had vowed never to do another 'update' again
> > however I lapsed for some reason and that update screwed my machine.
> >
> > In fact the reason I lapsed is that another fault in windows set my
> > homepage to microshit windows update and like a fool I clicked
> > auto update.
> >
> > The updates prior to that have always introduced some
> > detramental effect.
> >
> > Think I will go back to my instalation disk and remove all updates.
> >
> > The fast majoriy of people don't update their machines for obvious
> > reasons ie they like their computer to *work*.
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > The fact is that a very small minority of people have trouble with
> > updates, and that
> > > is often due to interference from background apps during installation.
> > The vast
> > > majority of users who update have no problem whatsoever, and you
simply
> > don't see
> > > any reports in the newsgroups saying "I updated and I had no problem".
> > Why would
> > > anyone post to report "nothing"? People only report problems, not
> > successes. I
> > > have done countless updates on innumerable systems and have yet to
have a
> > problem
> > > with almost any of them.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> > >

> > > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

I beg your pardon? I QUOTE Glee in many a Master Post, even against his
own objections! Some day soon you 'n Colorado surely will slip on a
banana peel & go sliding off Mt. Vesuvius!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Rich words coming from the mouth of an arse-licker.
|
| "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > Now THAT'S rubbish!
| > Just what these groups need...another Troll.
| > --
| > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
| >
| > "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > > Thats rubbish I too had vowed never to do another 'update' again
| > > however I lapsed for some reason and that update screwed my
machine.

| > > In fact the reason I lapsed is that another fault in windows set
my
| > > homepage to microshit windows update and like a fool I clicked
| > > auto update.
| > >
| > > The updates prior to that have always introduced some
| > > detramental effect.
| > >
| > > Think I will go back to my instalation disk and remove all
updates.

| > > The fast majoriy of people don't update their machines for obvious
| > > reasons ie they like their computer to *work*.
| > >

| > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > > updates, and that
| > > The vast
| simply
| > > don't see
| > > Why would
| > > successes. I
| have a
| > > problem

| yet?

transition,
| always

If you took the time to read any of my posts, you would realise that is a false
statement. However, my statement is true.....look up what trolling is, as it
relates to posting, and you will see that you are doing exactly that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html