WINDOWS BOOTING PROBLEM

Here is additional information on my previous posting:

The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:

"Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
file, but the device no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
application to replace the missing file.

C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD

I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
help those who might be able to help me with my problem.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows booting problem

    Are you sure you have the file name spelled correctly....NTSSPPP2.VXD? I cannot
    find a reference anywhere to that file name. It is important that you supply the
    exact file name spelled as it shows in the message.

    The path you describe: C:\PROGRA~1\NTS\ENTERN~1\BIN is the path to Enternet internet
    service provider software on your hard drive...in C:\Program Files\NTS\Enternet
    folder. You apparently had it installed at one time, but probably not any longer.
    You will have to tell us.....is it your current ISP or was it your former ISP? I am
    guessing former because you seem to be connecting online fine despite the missing
    driver file.

    If Enternet is still your ISP, you probably need to reinstall the software to get
    the file back.

    If Enternet is no longer your ISP, then you need to go into the Registry using the
    Registry Editor, and delete the sub-key that is calling that file at startup.

    Click Start> Run, type scanregw and click OK. Back up the Registry when it asks
    if you want to.
    Click Start> Run, type regedit and click OK.
    Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
    Expand that VxD key, and look for a sub-key named NTSSPPP2 (or whatever the exact
    name is in the error message)....when found, right-click it and click Delete.

    Close regedit, and reboot.

    Keys in the Registry Editor (regedit) look like folders, but are not. You navigate
    as you would in Windows Explorer, however, clicking the + signs to expand the keys
    and see their sub-keys.

    Be very careful not to change or delete ANYTHING other than what I mentioned. A
    mistake in regedit can cause Windows to not start.

    This KB article shows an example, but referring to a different error message and
    file name:
    Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280135
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here is additional information on my previous posting:
    >
    > The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
    >
    > "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
    > application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
    > file, but the device no longer exists.
    >
    > If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
    > application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
    > the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
    > application to replace the missing file.
    >
    > C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
    > symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
    >
    > I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
    > help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

    The correct code is : NTSSPPP3.VXD

    Texgirl

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Here is additional information on my previous posting:
    > >
    > > The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
    > >
    > > "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
    > > application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
    > > file, but the device no longer exists.
    > >
    > > If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
    > > application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
    > > the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
    > > application to replace the missing file.
    > >
    > > C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
    > > symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
    > >
    > > I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
    > > help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

    OK...that *is* a file name for Enternet software. We need to know if you are
    currently using Enternet software. It is used with some DSL Internet connections,
    such as Sympatico. Can you tell us who your Internet provider is, and what type of
    connection you use?
    --

> [...]
    > >

    > > "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Here is additional information on my previous posting:
    > > >
    > > > The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
    > > >
    > > > "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
    > > > application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
    > > > file, but the device no longer exists.
    > > >
    > > > If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
    > > > application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
    > > > the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
    > > > application to replace the missing file.
    > > >
    > > > C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
    > > > symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
    > > >
    > > > I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
    > > > help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

    Glee,

    Yes we have SBC DSL Toshiba Satillite Laptop using a Netgear IPCMCIA PC Card
    Wireless. As far as I know the software is an Ethernet.

    Texgirl

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
    > > > Expand that VxD key, and look for a sub-key named NTSSPPP2 (or whatever the
    > exact
    > > > name is in the error message)....when found, right-click it and click Delete.
    > > >
    > > > Close regedit, and reboot.
    > > >
    > > > Keys in the Registry Editor (regedit) look like folders, but are not. You
    > navigate
    > > > as you would in Windows Explorer, however, clicking the + signs to expand the
    > keys
    > > > and see their sub-keys.
    > > >
    > > > Be very careful not to change or delete ANYTHING other than what I mentioned. A
    > > > mistake in regedit can cause Windows to not start.
    > > >
    > > > This KB article shows an example, but referring to a different error message and
    > > > file name:
    > > > Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows:

    If you have SBC DSL, you may very well be using the ENTERNET software (NOT
    ETHERnet). I suggest you contact SBC support and explain the error message you are
    receiving. They may have you uninstall and then reinstall the Enternet software, or
    merely over-install it to fix the missing file problem.

    BTW, that "squiggly line" is called a tilde, and it should be *somewhere* on your
    keyboard.
    --

    > Glee,
    >
    > Yes we have SBC DSL Toshiba Satillite Laptop using a Netgear IPCMCIA PC Card
    > Wireless. As far as I know the software is an Ethernet.
    >
    > Texgirl
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > OK...that *is* a file name for Enternet software. We need to know if you are
    > > currently using Enternet software. It is used with some DSL Internet
    connections,
    > > such as Sympatico. Can you tell us who your Internet provider is, and what type
    of
    > > connection you use?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >
    > > "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > The correct code is : NTSSPPP3.VXD
    > > >
    > > > Texgirl

    > > cannot
    > > the

    > > internet
    Files\NTS\Enternet
    > > longer.
    ISP?
    > > I am
    > > missing

    > > get

    > > the

    > > asks
    > > exact
    Delete.

    > > navigate
    > > keys

    "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here is additional information on my previous posting:
    >
    > The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
    >
    > "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
    > application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
    > file, but the device no longer exists.
    >
    > If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
    > application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
    > the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
    > application to replace the missing file.
    >
    > C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
    > symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
    >
    > I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
    > help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

    The problem most likely lies in the path:
    C:\~Progra~1\nts\entern~1\bin\ntssppp2.vxd

    What you call a squiggly line is called a Tilde and there should be no tilde in
    front of Progra~1 in your path.

    Click Start > Run, type in: sysedit and press Enter
    Click the X in the upper right corner to expand the window
    Click on the System.ini title bar to bring it to the front
    Click the X in the upper right corner of the system.ini windowto expand the
    window
    Scroll thru looking for the line mentioned
    If found, remove the tilde in front of Progra~1 as shown below

    Your line:
    C:\~Progra~1\nts\entern~1\bin\ntssppp2.vxd

    New line:
    C:\Progra~1\nts\entern~1\bin\ntssppp2.vxd

    On the menu bar click File > Save > Exit.

    If not found you may need to check for a start these registry keys for the
    offending line and edit it. *Note: All keys listed below may not present on your
    machine. Be very careful editing the registry or you could possibly render your
    machine unusable. If you see the line in the registry and need further
    assistance, post back the path to the line in the registry and it's contents.

    Start > Run, type in: regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys:

    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnceEx
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServices
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServicesOnce

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

Devices Error Message Microsoft Windows