WINDOWS BOOTING PROBLEM

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 10, 2005 8:53:02 PM

Here is additional information on my previous posting:

The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:

"Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
file, but the device no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
application to replace the missing file.

C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD

I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
help those who might be able to help me with my problem.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:28:51 AM

Are you sure you have the file name spelled correctly....NTSSPPP2.VXD? I cannot
find a reference anywhere to that file name. It is important that you supply the
exact file name spelled as it shows in the message.

The path you describe: C:\PROGRA~1\NTS\ENTERN~1\BIN is the path to Enternet internet
service provider software on your hard drive...in C:\Program Files\NTS\Enternet
folder. You apparently had it installed at one time, but probably not any longer.
You will have to tell us.....is it your current ISP or was it your former ISP? I am
guessing former because you seem to be connecting online fine despite the missing
driver file.

If Enternet is still your ISP, you probably need to reinstall the software to get
the file back.

If Enternet is no longer your ISP, then you need to go into the Registry using the
Registry Editor, and delete the sub-key that is calling that file at startup.

Click Start> Run, type scanregw and click OK. Back up the Registry when it asks
if you want to.
Click Start> Run, type regedit and click OK.
Navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
Expand that VxD key, and look for a sub-key named NTSSPPP2 (or whatever the exact
name is in the error message)....when found, right-click it and click Delete.

Close regedit, and reboot.

Keys in the Registry Editor (regedit) look like folders, but are not. You navigate
as you would in Windows Explorer, however, clicking the + signs to expand the keys
and see their sub-keys.

Be very careful not to change or delete ANYTHING other than what I mentioned. A
mistake in regedit can cause Windows to not start.

This KB article shows an example, but referring to a different error message and
file name:
Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280135
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is additional information on my previous posting:
>
> The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
>
> "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
> application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
> file, but the device no longer exists.
>
> If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
> application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
> the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
> application to replace the missing file.
>
> C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
> symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
>
> I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
> help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:28:52 AM

The correct code is : NTSSPPP3.VXD

Texgirl

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
>

> "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here is additional information on my previous posting:
> >
> > The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
> >
> > "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
> > application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
> > file, but the device no longer exists.
> >
> > If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
> > application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
> > the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
> > application to replace the missing file.
> >
> > C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
> > symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
> >
> > I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
> > help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

April 11, 2005 3:21:03 AM

OK...that *is* a file name for Enternet software. We need to know if you are
currently using Enternet software. It is used with some DSL Internet connections,
such as Sympatico. Can you tell us who your Internet provider is, and what type of
connection you use?
--

> [...]
> >

> > "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Here is additional information on my previous posting:
> > >
> > > The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
> > >
> > > "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
> > > application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
> > > file, but the device no longer exists.
> > >
> > > If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
> > > application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
> > > the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
> > > application to replace the missing file.
> > >
> > > C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
> > > symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
> > >
> > > I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
> > > help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

April 11, 2005 3:21:04 AM

Glee,

Yes we have SBC DSL Toshiba Satillite Laptop using a Netgear IPCMCIA PC Card
Wireless. As far as I know the software is an Ethernet.

Texgirl

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
> > > Expand that VxD key, and look for a sub-key named NTSSPPP2 (or whatever the
> exact
> > > name is in the error message)....when found, right-click it and click Delete.
> > >
> > > Close regedit, and reboot.
> > >
> > > Keys in the Registry Editor (regedit) look like folders, but are not. You
> navigate
> > > as you would in Windows Explorer, however, clicking the + signs to expand the
> keys
> > > and see their sub-keys.
> > >
> > > Be very careful not to change or delete ANYTHING other than what I mentioned. A
> > > mistake in regedit can cause Windows to not start.
> > >
> > > This KB article shows an example, but referring to a different error message and
> > > file name:
> > > Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows:

April 11, 2005 4:28:06 AM

If you have SBC DSL, you may very well be using the ENTERNET software (NOT
ETHERnet). I suggest you contact SBC support and explain the error message you are
receiving. They may have you uninstall and then reinstall the Enternet software, or
merely over-install it to fix the missing file problem.

BTW, that "squiggly line" is called a tilde, and it should be *somewhere* on your
keyboard.
--

> Glee,
>
> Yes we have SBC DSL Toshiba Satillite Laptop using a Netgear IPCMCIA PC Card
> Wireless. As far as I know the software is an Ethernet.
>
> Texgirl
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > OK...that *is* a file name for Enternet software. We need to know if you are
> > currently using Enternet software. It is used with some DSL Internet
connections,
> > such as Sympatico. Can you tell us who your Internet provider is, and what type
of
> > connection you use?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >
> > "Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The correct code is : NTSSPPP3.VXD
> > >
> > > Texgirl

> > cannot
> > the

> > internet
Files\NTS\Enternet
> > longer.
ISP?
> > I am
> > missing

> > get

> > the

> > asks
> > exact
Delete.

> > navigate
> > keys

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:49:10 AM

"Texgirl" <Texgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is additional information on my previous posting:
>
> The exact error message that I get when trying to boot windows is:
>
> "Cannot find device file that me be needed to run Windows or a windows
> application. The windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device
> file, but the device no longer exists.
>
> If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the asociated
> application using its uninstall or setup program. If it still wants to use
> the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that
> application to replace the missing file.
>
> C:\(squiggly symbol) PROGRA(squiggly symbol)1\NTS\ENTERN(squggly
> symbol)1\BIN\NTSSPPP2.VXD
>
> I don't have that squggly symbol on my laptop so I applogize. Hope this will
> help those who might be able to help me with my problem.

The problem most likely lies in the path:
C:\~Progra~1\nts\entern~1\bin\ntssppp2.vxd

What you call a squiggly line is called a Tilde and there should be no tilde in
front of Progra~1 in your path.

Click Start > Run, type in: sysedit and press Enter
Click the X in the upper right corner to expand the window
Click on the System.ini title bar to bring it to the front
Click the X in the upper right corner of the system.ini windowto expand the
window
Scroll thru looking for the line mentioned
If found, remove the tilde in front of Progra~1 as shown below

Your line:
C:\~Progra~1\nts\entern~1\bin\ntssppp2.vxd

New line:
C:\Progra~1\nts\entern~1\bin\ntssppp2.vxd

On the menu bar click File > Save > Exit.

If not found you may need to check for a start these registry keys for the
offending line and edit it. *Note: All keys listed below may not present on your
machine. Be very careful editing the registry or you could possibly render your
machine unusable. If you see the line in the registry and need further
assistance, post back the path to the line in the registry and it's contents.

Start > Run, type in: regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnceEx
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServices
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServicesOnce

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>