Where does does the startup logo in Win98 come from

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 11, 2005 10:48:22 AM

Hi All,
I am having a little problem.
If I stop the start up logo from displaying - using TweakUI then the machine
boots up OK. Otherwise it stops on the splash screen with the animation
frozen...
Once I ran SFC ( system file checker ) and it corrected the file setupx.dll.
It now freezes again but the SFC does not any corrupted files...

Anil
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:48:23 AM

Start> Find> Files or Folders: Search the C: drive for a file named LOGO.SYS....it
should be found in the root of C:
Delete it.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
news:o CVuuRjPFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
> I am having a little problem.
> If I stop the start up logo from displaying - using TweakUI then the machine
> boots up OK. Otherwise it stops on the splash screen with the animation
> frozen...
> Once I ran SFC ( system file checker ) and it corrected the file setupx.dll.
> It now freezes again but the SFC does not any corrupted files...
>
> Anil

April 11, 2005 10:48:23 AM

Glen's advice fine as far as it goes, but if you do not have
C:\LOGO.SYS file, then the image comes from the C:\IO.SYS file in
compressed form. IO.SYS is renamed from winboot.sys file which can be
found in base5.cab file on your installation CD. IO.SYS file must be
readonly attributed at bootup so some caution here is advised - if you
don't know what that it is, read up on it until you do. A google
search for 'io.sys' a good place to start that process.
April 11, 2005 10:48:24 AM

As far as it goes.....the IO.SYS file does a lot more than just display the internal
logo, so it is somewhat unlikely that a damaged IO.SYS file would only cause a
problem if the logo was being displayed, and not cause a problem if the logo is
suppressed in MSDOS.SYS or through TweakUI. It is more likely by far that a damaged
IO.SYS file would halt the boot regardless of whether the logo was suppressed or
not. Of course, it *is* possible..... ;-)

Anil, See here for more background:
http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/startup.htm#IOSYS
--

"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Glen's advice fine as far as it goes, but if you do not have
> C:\LOGO.SYS file, then the image comes from the C:\IO.SYS file in
> compressed form. IO.SYS is renamed from winboot.sys file which can be
> found in base5.cab file on your installation CD. IO.SYS file must be
> readonly attributed at bootup so some caution here is advised - if you
> don't know what that it is, read up on it until you do. A google
> search for 'io.sys' a good place to start that process.

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:29:16 AM

The problem has corrected itself.
I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with win98.
The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

Thanks..
> As far as it goes.....the IO.SYS file does a lot more than just display
the internal
> logo, so it is somewhat unlikely that a damaged IO.SYS file would only
cause a
> problem if the logo was being displayed, and not cause a problem if the
logo is
> suppressed in MSDOS.SYS or through TweakUI. It is more likely by far that
a damaged
> IO.SYS file would halt the boot regardless of whether the logo was
suppressed or
> not. Of course, it *is* possible..... ;-)
>
> Anil, See here for more background:
> http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/startup.htm#IOSYS
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Glen's advice fine as far as it goes, but if you do not have
> > C:\LOGO.SYS file, then the image comes from the C:\IO.SYS file in
> > compressed form. IO.SYS is renamed from winboot.sys file which can be
> > found in base5.cab file on your installation CD. IO.SYS file must be
> > readonly attributed at bootup so some caution here is advised - if you
> > don't know what that it is, read up on it until you do. A google
> > search for 'io.sys' a good place to start that process.

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:33:25 PM

Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.

Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
logo stored in IO.SYS.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> The problem has corrected itself.
> I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
> I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
win98.
> The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:27:37 AM

Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and logow.sys
should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and bit
depth restrictions.

> Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
> party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
>
> Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
> logo stored in IO.SYS.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> > The problem has corrected itself.
> > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
> > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
> win98.
> > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:33:51 AM

Yup, you're right. Juggling too many similar filenames in my mind and
got that one wrong, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
> Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and
logow.sys
> should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and
bit
> depth restrictions.

> > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a
third
> > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
> >
> > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides
the
> > logo stored in IO.SYS.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> > > The problem has corrected itself.
> > > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
> > > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued
with
> > win98.
> > > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

April 17, 2005 4:43:01 PM

Great point(s) as usual Gary S. Terhune. <smile>

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
> party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
>
> Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
> logo stored in IO.SYS.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> > The problem has corrected itself.
> > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
> > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
> win98.
> > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

April 17, 2005 4:44:01 PM

I think PJP and Hugh Candlin should be MVP's soon.

"pjp" wrote:

> Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and logow.sys
> should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and bit
> depth restrictions.

> > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
> > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
> >
> > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
> > logo stored in IO.SYS.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> > > The problem has corrected itself.
> > > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
> > > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
> > win98.
> > > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:01:47 AM

Thanks for the thought but unless free beta software is involved it really
doesn't matter, e.g. it's not why I both ask and answer.. That's how I got
my 10pc's 98SE liicense :)

!