Where does does the startup logo in Win98 come from

Hi All,
I am having a little problem.
If I stop the start up logo from displaying - using TweakUI then the machine
boots up OK. Otherwise it stops on the splash screen with the animation
frozen...
Once I ran SFC ( system file checker ) and it corrected the file setupx.dll.
It now freezes again but the SFC does not any corrupted files...

Anil
10 answers Last reply
More about where does startup logo win98 from

    Start> Find> Files or Folders: Search the C: drive for a file named LOGO.SYS....it
    should be found in the root of C:
    Delete it.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I am having a little problem.
    > If I stop the start up logo from displaying - using TweakUI then the machine
    > boots up OK. Otherwise it stops on the splash screen with the animation
    > frozen...
    > Once I ran SFC ( system file checker ) and it corrected the file setupx.dll.
    > It now freezes again but the SFC does not any corrupted files...
    >
    > Anil

    Glen's advice fine as far as it goes, but if you do not have
    C:\LOGO.SYS file, then the image comes from the C:\IO.SYS file in
    compressed form. IO.SYS is renamed from winboot.sys file which can be
    found in base5.cab file on your installation CD. IO.SYS file must be
    readonly attributed at bootup so some caution here is advised - if you
    don't know what that it is, read up on it until you do. A google
    search for 'io.sys' a good place to start that process.

    As far as it goes.....the IO.SYS file does a lot more than just display the internal
    logo, so it is somewhat unlikely that a damaged IO.SYS file would only cause a
    problem if the logo was being displayed, and not cause a problem if the logo is
    suppressed in MSDOS.SYS or through TweakUI. It is more likely by far that a damaged
    IO.SYS file would halt the boot regardless of whether the logo was suppressed or
    not. Of course, it *is* possible..... ;-)

    Anil, See here for more background:
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/startup.htm#IOSYS
    --

    "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > Glen's advice fine as far as it goes, but if you do not have
    > C:\LOGO.SYS file, then the image comes from the C:\IO.SYS file in
    > compressed form. IO.SYS is renamed from winboot.sys file which can be
    > found in base5.cab file on your installation CD. IO.SYS file must be
    > readonly attributed at bootup so some caution here is advised - if you
    > don't know what that it is, read up on it until you do. A google
    > search for 'io.sys' a good place to start that process.

    The problem has corrected itself.
    I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
    I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with win98.
    The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

    Thanks..
    > As far as it goes.....the IO.SYS file does a lot more than just display
    the internal
    > logo, so it is somewhat unlikely that a damaged IO.SYS file would only
    cause a
    > problem if the logo was being displayed, and not cause a problem if the
    logo is
    > suppressed in MSDOS.SYS or through TweakUI. It is more likely by far that
    a damaged
    > IO.SYS file would halt the boot regardless of whether the logo was
    suppressed or
    > not. Of course, it *is* possible..... ;-)
    >
    > Anil, See here for more background:
    > http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/startup.htm#IOSYS
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > > Glen's advice fine as far as it goes, but if you do not have
    > > C:\LOGO.SYS file, then the image comes from the C:\IO.SYS file in
    > > compressed form. IO.SYS is renamed from winboot.sys file which can be
    > > found in base5.cab file on your installation CD. IO.SYS file must be
    > > readonly attributed at bootup so some caution here is advised - if you
    > > don't know what that it is, read up on it until you do. A google
    > > search for 'io.sys' a good place to start that process.

    Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
    party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.

    Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
    logo stored in IO.SYS.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > The problem has corrected itself.
    > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
    > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
    win98.
    > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

    Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and logow.sys
    should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and bit
    depth restrictions.

    > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
    > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
    >
    > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
    > logo stored in IO.SYS.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
    > > The problem has corrected itself.
    > > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
    > > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
    > win98.
    > > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

    Yup, you're right. Juggling too many similar filenames in my mind and
    got that one wrong, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    > Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and
    logow.sys
    > should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and
    bit
    > depth restrictions.

    > > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a
    third
    > > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
    > >
    > > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides
    the
    > > logo stored in IO.SYS.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
    > > > The problem has corrected itself.
    > > > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
    > > > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued
    with
    > > win98.
    > > > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

    Great point(s) as usual Gary S. Terhune. <smile>

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
    > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
    >
    > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
    > logo stored in IO.SYS.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
    > > The problem has corrected itself.
    > > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
    > > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
    > win98.
    > > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

    I think PJP and Hugh Candlin should be MVP's soon.

    "pjp" wrote:

    > Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and logow.sys
    > should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and bit
    > depth restrictions.

    > > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a third
    > > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
    > >
    > > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
    > > logo stored in IO.SYS.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Anil Bhattacharji" <anilbhx@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
    > > > The problem has corrected itself.
    > > > I am aware that without IO.SYS nothing would boot.
    > > > I don't have a file called logo.sys. Perhaps it was discontinued with
    > > win98.
    > > > The 2 other pictures are there logow.sys & logos.sys.

    Thanks for the thought but unless free beta software is involved it really
    doesn't matter, e.g. it's not why I both ask and answer.. That's how I got
    my 10pc's 98SE liicense :)

    > I think PJP and Hugh Candlin should be MVP's soon.
    >
    > "pjp" wrote:
    >
    > > Except logo.sys should be in the root of the drive, logos.sys and
    logow.sys
    > > should be in the Windows folder. It/they also has/have some size and bit
    > > depth restrictions.
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Actually, in Windows 98, if LOGO.SYS exists, it was inserted by a
    third
    > > > party, probably the vendor, to replace the logo stored in IO.SYS.
    > > >
    > > > Placing a file called LOGO.SYS in the Windows directory overrides the
    > > > logo stored in IO.SYS.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > > MS MVP Shell/User