Sign in with
Your question

USB NOT WORKING

Last response: in Storage
April 25, 2006 2:08:20 AM

my friend asked me jus yesterday that the usb his friends gave him isnt working but his cousin's one is working just fine, becoz he lives so far, i couldnt check his computer out, i need som advice, heres what i thought up of:

is it bcoz his OS is too old (Windows Me) and doesnt hav the Plug and Play feature like Windows Xp Pro?
OR
is it bcoz his motherboard is too old (his computer is like 7yrs+ old lol) and doesnt support USB 2.0?

well the USB drives r NOT damaged and work fine on my computer so nothin to say there, so....GIMME SOM ADVICE =]

More about : usb working

April 25, 2006 2:54:14 AM

hmmmm windows 95 osr2 had USB support via an update from microsoft, so i guess it's not an OS problem...
you can ask him if he can see some usb device on device manager, like usb root or something... even if usb support is enabled in bios.
his motherboard might not have usb ports... what mb/cpu he has?
if it's a p233 and above he probably has usb
April 25, 2006 3:25:00 AM

Is he plugging the USB device into the front or back of his PC? If he is trying to use the front USB, maybe those aren't connected to the MB???
Related resources
April 25, 2006 3:26:03 AM

hes got 2 USB ports, both at bak, both work fine with his cousin's usb
May 3, 2006 12:45:02 PM

Your post is very hard to read I must say.... :p 

I'm guessing that the 'usb his friends gave him' is a USB flash drive. It could be an old one that only supports USB1.1, or a USB2.0 one, but that shouldnt make a difference, a USB 2.0 device will just run at a slower speed in a USB1 port.

On ME I'm pretty sure you need drivers fro USB storage devices, they dont just work when you connect them like on XP.

Has your friend tried any other devices in his USB ports?
May 3, 2006 3:09:08 PM

well the only thing that works is his cousin's one, he tried an 30gb ipod video-doesnt work; 256mb mp3 player-doesnt work and a normal 128mb usb drive-doesnt work, and from wat he told me, he says that his cousin didnt install any drivers or anything when they first used his cousin's usb
May 3, 2006 4:22:02 PM

Quote:
Your post is very hard to read I must say.... :p 

I'm guessing that the 'usb his friends gave him' is a USB flash drive. It could be an old one that only supports USB1.1, or a USB2.0 one, but that shouldnt make a difference, a USB 2.0 device will just run at a slower speed in a USB1 port.

On ME I'm pretty sure you need drivers fro USB storage devices, they dont just work when you connect them like on XP.

Has your friend tried any other devices in his USB ports?

"Most" USB jump drives work just fine on ME w/o needing to find a driver first. You're thinking about 98SE. iPods will work with ME if you download a driver off the internet. If this particular USB jumpdrive will not work, then by all means try to find a 98SE/ME driver off the net.
May 3, 2006 4:24:34 PM

Quote:
WinME requires drivers for all USB devices. The drivers are typically installed before trying to plug the device in.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218/en-us

As you can see, WinME had a lot of USB issues.

Pure malarky. ME shouldn't really be grouped with 98 and 98SE, as it has way more driver functionality and usb support than the other two. 98/98SE have usb issues, not really ME. Of course, all three are becoming left in the dark as newer devices drop support for 9x operating systems.
May 3, 2006 6:55:13 PM

Quote:
WinME requires drivers for all USB devices. The drivers are typically installed before trying to plug the device in.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218/en-us

As you can see, WinME had a lot of USB issues.

Pure malarky. ME shouldn't really be grouped with 98 and 98SE, as it has way more driver functionality and usb support than the other two. 98/98SE have usb issues, not really ME. Of course, all three are becoming left in the dark as newer devices drop support for 9x operating systems.

As stated, ME has a ot of usb issues, not to mentions hundreds of issues period. It is in the dark as far as updates go, but try phishing for some info on the MS update site and make sure the last few hotfixes are installed there. I have had personal problems with 98/ME machines that were used on a fat32NTFS system, once fat32 files were written to the drive, they were no longer read by the ME box. Try zeroing out the device on a good PC then loading in the ME box. .... just a thought.
I think that jump drive holds more value than that me machine.
May 3, 2006 7:33:23 PM

Windows ME definitely supports Plug N Play/USB... based on the age of that computer, I highly doubt it has any USB 2.0 connections (unless an add-in card was used) Most devices (even USB 2.0 ones) will work as a lower speed USB device (11 mb/s) so I'd definitely check to make sure whatever piece of hardware it is does not specifically require USB 2.0. Additionally, I've seen plenty of systems with "bad" front USB ports... basically, people are too lazy/incompetent to hook them up correctly and they never work... that said, try it from all ports. Good luck.
May 3, 2006 7:39:46 PM

Windows ME definitely supports Plug N Play/USB... based on the age of that computer, I highly doubt it has any USB 2.0 connections (unless an add-in card was used) Most devices (even USB 2.0 ones) will work as a lower speed USB device (11 mb/s) so I'd definitely check to make sure whatever piece of hardware it is does not specifically require USB 2.0. Additionally, I've seen plenty of systems with "bad" front USB ports... basically, people are too lazy/incompetent to hook them up correctly and they never work... that said, try it from all ports. Good luck.
May 4, 2006 3:38:56 AM

For my entertainment, would you be so kind as to list the hundreds of issues that ME is plagued with? :lol: 
May 4, 2006 1:14:06 PM

Quote:
For my entertainment, would you be so kind as to list the hundreds of issues that ME is plagued with? :lol: 

How about BSOD net erros, isa driver issues, 10bases nic driver corruptions....just to name a few, sounds dates, but so is that 9x push Gates had back then.
Windows Multiple Error is not an operating system, is just an expensive joke.
May 4, 2006 4:27:48 PM

Quote:

How about BSOD net erros, isa driver issues, 10bases nic driver corruptions....just to name a few, sounds dates, but so is that 9x push Gates had back then.
Windows Multiple Error is not an operating system, is just an expensive joke.That sounds like any 9x operating system.
May 4, 2006 4:29:52 PM

hmmmm not 95
May 4, 2006 4:30:57 PM

95 has about as much driver suppoort as a Mac.
May 4, 2006 4:34:08 PM

well, 95 had support for its contemporary devices...
osr2 had usb support, by the way
May 4, 2006 4:35:29 PM

osr2 is a joke. Most usb devices still will not work even with windows 95B or C.
May 4, 2006 4:37:34 PM

hmm i think 98 is a joke... ME is a joke even funnier :) 
personally, from all 9x/ME, 95SR2 is the best for me... never had any problems as i had with 98/ME

EDIT: oh, usb support for osr2 was through a package... i forgot the name
May 4, 2006 4:49:34 PM

I'm happy for you. If 95c is all you need, then by all means use 95c. I happen to need the use of jumpdrives, usb printers, cd burners, hard drives larger than 32 GB, etc. It's all about what you need.
!