defrag 'fix' for win98 on large drives

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 11, 2005 1:29:31 AM

Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
like before.
Very interesting.
Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
this guy
http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:48:50 AM

OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Duradan wrote:
> Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
> the like before.
> Very interesting.
> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
> this guy
> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:23:31 AM

??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical updates for
IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
> tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
> less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...
>
> Duradan wrote:
> > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
> > the like before.
> > Very interesting.
> > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
> > this guy
> > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

April 11, 2005 3:32:30 AM

I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
--

"Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 93hN5jPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
> like before.
> Very interesting.
> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
> this guy
> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 4:13:10 AM

This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.

The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard. The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.
NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
--
mae

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:%2349mJckPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| news:o 93hN5jPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
| > like before.
| > Very interesting.
| > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
| > this guy
| > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
| > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:29:22 AM

Yea, I know there are still 13 I need to get. But with the latest 711 patch
flap, I was harshly affected by it, I've been less strident in my updating.
I use FireFox to browse new sites and often IE for familiar trusted sites.
OE probably has several in that waiting load of.....updates.
I will be sure not to hit that one until I see some reliable "I tried it on
my Win98 system and it is fine" statements.
I am thinking about his 'fix', but like you guys said, if it works, why is
it so hard to find?
Here is our correspondence

First, his reply to my letter prior.

My Patch Program does not affect Windows SCANDISK or DEFRAG so you will
still need to make individual Partitions less than 127GB. You can run
SCANDISK in DOS, not a DOS Box, on larger Partitions. I haven't found a
DEFRAG that will work. The ones I have found on the Web so far use the
Windows DEFRAG libraries so they have the same problem.

You should be able to Install the Drive on most if not all Motherboards
using the Patch.

You should not need to reformat or Repartition the Drive to move from one
Motherboard to another with the Patch.

Sincerely,

Rudolph R. Loew
rloew@hotmail.com

>From: "duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com>
>To: <rloew@hotmail.com>
>Subject: high capacity disc patch
>Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:17:40 -0500
>
>Hi. About your large capacity drive program. Will it allow the basic
Windows98 defrag and scandisc programs to function on the full 137GB+ of a
drive?
>And if not, is there a program that will defrag the entire space as a
single partition?
>Currently I have just installed a 160GB drive on a controller card, but if
your software will eliminate the defrag/scan problems it would be much
prefered.
>Not to mention having the large drives install directly on a mobo in future
would be nice.
>I have an AMD based AOpen AK77-333 mobo with the via Via Apollo Pro chipset
family and am running Win98SE.
>Also, would I have to reformat the drive to move it to the mobo under
Windows for the software to deal with it or can I keep the current data
intact during the move?

> OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
> tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
> less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:32:26 AM

Someone should build a defragger for large drives and get rich . There is
about to be a massive influx of large drives being bought by the average
users and not knowing it won't be possible to defrag or scan for errors.
Drives over 120GB are getting cheap, and us poor folks still using our Win98
are gonna need it.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:19:57 PM

Duradan wrote:

> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
> this guy
> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

I've not seen that software yet - and congrats to Mr. Loew for doing that.

However, using a modern controller card with its exceptional advantaged
qualifications is the ultimate way to do it, period! ..all else comparatively
is limited.

Continuing from my reply to your earlier post and now to this one Duradan,
using any modern Controller card which takes care of not only that 9x 127GB
limitation issue, but it also inherently gives the extra remarkable advantage
of increasing overall system performance dramatically, even much better than
any AA (application accelerator) which is intel proprietary anyway not to
mention its other software based limitations; whereas the controller card has
no such limitations whatsoever and besides covers all brand motherboards. A
controller card also gives the advantage of having extra dual primary ports
with that wonderful convenience as well.

I would not own a desktop computer that does not use a controller card, not
only just for W9x usage but for W2000/WXP also where those show and overall
system performance increase using it as well.

It's a no-brainer, and for those who have one and have compared the
differences with and without it - know what I'm talking about.
It's especially noticeable when using todays fast modern motherboards and
processors and run 9x - you have no idea what you are missing. Even works
well for those with old mb's and processors too.

Here's a link with some screenshots of it:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album
..here's just one of many places you can buy it:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
..but of course buy it wherever you want - but without question be sure it's
a Promise ULTRA133 TX2 model because it's the best & includes the latest
mods.

Rick
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:25:06 PM

I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

(A) At IE6, Help, About:
SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
& 891781.

(B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
Windows 98 TELNET

(C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

(1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
(2) Internet Explorer Q891781
(was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
(3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
(4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
(5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
(6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
(7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
(8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
(9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
(10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
(11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
(12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
(13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
(14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
(15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
(16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
(17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
updates for
| IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2800.1409")
| > tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
| > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
| > --
| > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
| >
| > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

| > Duradan wrote:
| > > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used
usenet or
| > > the like before.
| > > Very interesting.
| > > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix'
available from
| > > this guy
| > > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
| > > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:29:55 PM

This is the first I have heard of it, and if it works as advertised then
he's done a real service to the W9x community. But I am a bit suspicious,
as it was my understanding that the problem was based in the BIOS and the
way that Windows is forced to use the BIOS for disk services. That's why
the controller card option works. If he can do in software what a new
controller does in the BIOS then there's no reason that the fix shouldn't be
OK.

If the fix has been around for some time, I would query why we haven't heard
more about it. Or perhaps it's brand new. Why not e-mail him and ask some
questions (like why isn't he advertising this a bit more widely!).
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs are
available for the PC and Amiga Computers.

The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide
direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB without requiring a
controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only beused
with an Intel chipset motherboard. The patch installs support for the48-Bit
addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.
NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
--
mae

| I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| news:o 93hN5jPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
the
| > like before.
| > Very interesting.
| > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
from
| > this guy
| > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
| > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:29:56 PM

I thought that too, but he only seems concerned about the boot
process. From the manual-

"
REQUIREMENTS

Windows 98, 98SE or ME (Read WINDOWS ME Section Below if using Windows ME)

BIOS support for hard drives >137GB or
A Windows Compatable Boot Manager that supports hard drives >137GB
A Mini Boot Manager is now available from Rudolph R. Loew
"

btw, the demo is good for up to 145GB.

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message news:%237nXChmPFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> This is the first I have heard of it, and if it works as advertised then he's done a real service to the W9x community. But I am
> a bit suspicious, as it was my understanding that the problem was based in the BIOS and the way that Windows is forced to use the
> BIOS for disk services. That's why the controller card option works. If he can do in software what a new controller does in the
> BIOS then there's no reason that the fix shouldn't be OK.
>
> If the fix has been around for some time, I would query why we haven't heard more about it. Or perhaps it's brand new. Why not
> e-mail him and ask some questions (like why isn't he advertising this a bit more widely!).
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message news:%23ZwSgUlPFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
> Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
> that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.
>
> The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB
> without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard.
> The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.
> NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
> --
> mae
>
> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:%2349mJckPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> |
> | "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | news:o 93hN5jPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
> | > like before.
> | > Very interesting.
> | > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
> | > this guy
> | > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> | > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:34:04 PM

You have a lot of old cumulative listings there in your IE About box that
were already assimilated by newer cumulatives, etc, which brings up the point
I'm really surprised that the newer updates don't clean up the list from
there.

Rick

PCR wrote:
> I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

> (A) At IE6, Help, About:
> SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
> Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
> Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
> & 891781.
>
> (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
> or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
>
> Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
> Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
> SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
> W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
> Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
> W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
> Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
> Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
> Windows 98 TELNET
>
> (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
>
> (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
> (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
> (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
> Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
> (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
> (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
> (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
> (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
> (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
> (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
> (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
> (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
> (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
> (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
> (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
> (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
> (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
> (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>| ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
>| updates for IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
>| --
>| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>|
>| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>| > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
>| > 6.00.2800.1409") tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're
>| > running much less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
>| > --
>| > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>| > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>| >
>| > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
>| >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:36:39 PM

glee wrote:
> means you have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98,
> though it may have been offerred for a brief period of time according to
> reports that I have not confirmed. Outlook Express Update 823353 was not
> released for Win98/98SE/ME according to this:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
> Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
> so the update was not released for them.

I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how he
got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking up his
listings I found what he did which was to install:
MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13, 2004
Where WU for 9x only offers:
MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
....so I went after what he had here:
..downloaded and installed it just fine to check it out ...and then went
back to scour over the
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04...
..and do see it says in the beginning and in FAQ that W98 is affected but I
guess they just didn't get a chance yet to put the download link there, or
like I see you have said maybe they pulled it ... oh well, now I have it
too - I can easily reverse it, the only thing it appears it actually changes
different is the Inetcomm.dll file size changed, also a number of other dll's
date changed by 3 months but the file size is identical and haven't bothered
looking at the dlll versions to compare those yet etc......
...well no biggy mostlikely.

Rick

> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

>> (A) At IE6, Help, About:
>> SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
>> Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
>> Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
>> & 891781.
>>
>> (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
>> or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
>>
>> Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
>> Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
>> SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
>> W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
>> Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
>> W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
>> Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
>> Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
>> Windows 98 TELNET
>>
>> (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
>>
>> (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
>> (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
>> (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
>> Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
>> (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
>> (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
>> (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
>> (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
>> (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
>> (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
>> (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
>> (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
>> (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
>> (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
>> (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
>> (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
>> (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
>> (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
>> (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
>>
>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>> | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
>> updates for
>> | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
>> | --
>> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>> |
>> | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 6.00.2800.1409")

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

>> usenet or
>> available from
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:26:25 PM

"Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
>like before.
>Very interesting.
>Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
>this guy
>http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
>Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
the larger hard drives.

However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
of clusters on the drive.

Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.

And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.

(Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
bytes.)

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:01:45 AM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> glee wrote:
> > means you have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98,
> > though it may have been offerred for a brief period of time according to
> > reports that I have not confirmed. Outlook Express Update 823353 was not
> > released for Win98/98SE/ME according to this:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
> > Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
> > so the update was not released for them.
>
> I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how he
> got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking up his
> listings I found what he did which was to install:
> MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13, 2004
> Where WU for 9x only offers:
> MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
> ...so I went after what he had here:

> ..downloaded and installed it just fine to check it out ...and then went
> back to scour over the
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04...
> ..and do see it says in the beginning and in FAQ that W98 is affected but I
> guess they just didn't get a chance yet to put the download link there, or
> like I see you have said maybe they pulled it ... oh well, now I have it
> too - I can easily reverse it, the only thing it appears it actually changes
> different is the Inetcomm.dll file size changed, also a number of other dll's
> date changed by 3 months but the file size is identical and haven't bothered
> looking at the dlll versions to compare those yet etc......
> ..well no biggy mostlikely.

:-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that way on another
machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then uninstalled it here. The
update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE machines, though it probably isn't a
good idea to go installing patches that weren't tested on that OS. What I am
curious about is how PCR got it.....the way you describe, or through Windows Update.
I have heard it was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows
Update myself. Did you?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> >> I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

> >> (A) At IE6, Help, About:
> >> SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
> >> Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
> >> Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
> >> & 891781.
> >>
> >> (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
> >> or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
> >>
> >> Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
> >> Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
> >> SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
> >> W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
> >> Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
> >> W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
> >> Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
> >> Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
> >> Windows 98 TELNET
> >>
> >> (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
> >>
> >> (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
> >> (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
> >> (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
> >> Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
> >> (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
> >> (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
> >> (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
> >> (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
> >> (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
> >> (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
> >> (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
> >> (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> >> (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
> >> (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
> >> (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
> >> (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
> >> (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
> >> (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
> >> (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks or Good Luck,
> >> There may be humor in this post, and,
> >> Naturally, you will not sue,
> >> should things get worse after this,
> >> PCR
> >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> updates for

> >> 6.00.2800.1409")

> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

> >> usenet or
> >> available from

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:25:13 AM

WU installed on both 98/98se. Guess to correct the tilde or mistake?
itemID="ie60x.internetexplorer6x.ver_platform_win32_windows.4.10.x86.en.....
..com_microsoft.q823353_oe6_sp1.
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-...
2004-07-17 15:34:24 20:34:24 Success IUENGINE Local path
c:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
Successful Saturday, July 17, 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) Web site
--
mae

means you
| have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98, though it may
have been
| offerred for a brief period of time according to reports that I have not
confirmed.
| Outlook Express Update 823353 was not released for Win98/98SE/ME according
to this:
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
| Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
so the
| update was not released for them.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

| > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:30:54 AM

I *hate* when that happens.

And yet...

[On 11 Apr-05] Duradan wrote:
> Yea, I know there are still 13 I need to get.
<snip>
--
~PAÞ

glee wrote:
> ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
> updates for IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?

>> OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
>> tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
>> less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>>
>> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...
>>
>> Duradan wrote:
>>> Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
>>> the like before.
>>> Very interesting.
>>> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
>>> from
>>> this guy
>>> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
>>> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:50:36 AM

I believe as long as the mobo can read the larger drives the mini boot
manager isn't needed. Older mobos can't but anything from the last few years
can, as my AOpen does. It had no problem recognizing the drive in BIOS, it
was just Windows that had the problems with the drive on the mobo
controller.
With the controller card, the LBA 48-bit barrier in Windows is irrellevant
as the card handles all that internally and just passes the data to the PCI
bus.
The card does have a BIOS screen immediately after the mobo BIOS and prior
to Windows loading. Is that a DDO or whatever?

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> I thought that too, but he only seems concerned about the boot
> process. From the manual-
>
> "
> REQUIREMENTS
>
> Windows 98, 98SE or ME (Read WINDOWS ME Section Below if using Windows ME)
>
> BIOS support for hard drives >137GB or
> A Windows Compatable Boot Manager that supports hard drives >137GB
> A Mini Boot Manager is now available from Rudolph R. Loew
> "
>
> btw, the demo is good for up to 145GB.
>

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > This is the first I have heard of it, and if it works as advertised then
he's done a real service to the W9x community. But I am
> > a bit suspicious, as it was my understanding that the problem was based
in the BIOS and the way that Windows is forced to use the
> > BIOS for disk services. That's why the controller card option works.
If he can do in software what a new controller does in the
> > BIOS then there's no reason that the fix shouldn't be OK.
> >
> > If the fix has been around for some time, I would query why we haven't
heard more about it. Or perhaps it's brand new. Why not
> > e-mail him and ask some questions (like why isn't he advertising this a
bit more widely!).
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> > This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
> > Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
> > that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs
are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.

> > The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to
provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB
> > without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator
which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard.
> > The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for
hard drives larger than 137GB.
> > NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
> > --
> > mae
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > | I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
> > | --
> > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> > |
> > | "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > | news:o 93hN5jPFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:52:15 AM

That is exactly the model I have installed.

> Duradan wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
from
> > this guy
> > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
>
> I've not seen that software yet - and congrats to Mr. Loew for doing that.
>
> However, using a modern controller card with its exceptional advantaged
> qualifications is the ultimate way to do it, period! ..all else
comparatively
> is limited.
>
> Continuing from my reply to your earlier post and now to this one Duradan,
> using any modern Controller card which takes care of not only that 9x
127GB
> limitation issue, but it also inherently gives the extra remarkable
advantage
> of increasing overall system performance dramatically, even much better
than
> any AA (application accelerator) which is intel proprietary anyway not to
> mention its other software based limitations; whereas the controller card
has
> no such limitations whatsoever and besides covers all brand motherboards.
> controller card also gives the advantage of having extra dual primary
ports
> with that wonderful convenience as well.
>
> I would not own a desktop computer that does not use a controller card,
not
> only just for W9x usage but for W2000/WXP also where those show and
overall
> system performance increase using it as well.
>
> It's a no-brainer, and for those who have one and have compared the
> differences with and without it - know what I'm talking about.
> It's especially noticeable when using todays fast modern motherboards and
> processors and run 9x - you have no idea what you are missing. Even works
> well for those with old mb's and processors too.
>
> Here's a link with some screenshots of it:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album
> ..here's just one of many places you can buy it:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> ..but of course buy it wherever you want - but without question be sure
it's
> a Promise ULTRA133 TX2 model because it's the best & includes the latest
> mods.
>
> Rick

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:55:37 AM

Thank you Ron. What we need now is a programer who can build a defragger and
diskchecker for Win98/ME that will work on large partitions over the 128GB
barrier. Couple that with Robert Leow's Win98 LBA 48-bit fix and and we can
get around the coming large hard drive sized forced migration to new
software.

> "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
the
> >like before.
> >Very interesting.
> >Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
> >this guy
> >http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
> >Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
> >

> The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
> the larger hard drives.
>
> However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
> limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
> actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
> of clusters on the drive.
>
> Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
> million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
> if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
> clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
> 129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.
>
> And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.
>
> (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
> bytes.)
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:55:38 AM

Duradan wrote:
> Thank you Ron. What we need now is a programer who can build a defragger
and
> diskchecker for Win98/ME that will work on large partitions over the 128GB
> barrier.

But that's not going to happen, in all probability.

> Couple that with Robert Leow's Win98 LBA 48-bit fix and and we can
> get around the coming large hard drive sized forced migration to new
> software.
>

> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
the
>>> like before.
>>> Very interesting.
>>> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
from
>>> this guy
>>> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
>>> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
>>>

>> The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
>> the larger hard drives.
>>
>> However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
>> limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
>> actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
>> of clusters on the drive.
>>
>> Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
>> million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
>> if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
>> clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
>> 129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.
>>
>> And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.
>>
>> (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
>> bytes.)
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:28:00 AM

If your BIOS supports 48-bit LBA, then this Window's disk driver
(which apparently replaces the original Win98 disk driver, ESDI_506.PDR,
with its own) should have no issues, and you don't need the boot manager.
I've never seen it before either, and can't really comment on how solid
it is, or if it works as advertised.
Let us know ;)

Seeing the card enumerated on bootup, or seeing the card's own BIOS messages
doesn't mean you have a DDO installed, and otoh doesn't mean you don't. If
there is a DDO installed you should see a message immediatley after BIOS POST
refering to it, such as "Press Ctrl to enter EZ-BIOS" (or similar)..There are
other ways to check, but it's a pretty good bet that if your BIOS supports
48-bit LBA, then there's no overlay.

"Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3oPNLxPFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> bit more widely!).
>> > --
>> > Jeff Richards
>> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
>> > This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
>> > Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
>> > that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs
> are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.
>> >
>> > The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to
> provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB
>> > without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator
> which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard.
>> > The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for
> hard drives larger than 137GB.
>> > NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.

April 12, 2005 11:16:59 AM

Thanks for that info, mae. Apparently is *was* available at some time on WU, though
not any longer. I am going to dig some more and see if I can find out "the rest of
the story".
--

> WU installed on both 98/98se. Guess to correct the tilde or mistake?
> itemID="ie60x.internetexplorer6x.ver_platform_win32_windows.4.10.x86.en.....
> .com_microsoft.q823353_oe6_sp1.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-...
> 2004-07-17 15:34:24 20:34:24 Success IUENGINE Local path
> c:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
> Successful Saturday, July 17, 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) Web site
> --
> mae

> means you
> | have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98, though it may
> have been
> | offerred for a brief period of time according to reports that I have not
> confirmed.
> | Outlook Express Update 823353 was not released for Win98/98SE/ME according
> to this:
> | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
> | Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
> so the
> | update was not released for them.
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> |

> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:36:34 PM

glee wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message
[...]
>> I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how he
>> got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking up
[...]

> :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that way on
> another machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then uninstalled
> it here. The update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE machines, though
> it probably isn't a good idea to go installing patches that weren't tested
> on that OS. What I am curious about is how PCR got it.....the way you
> describe, or through Windows Update. I have heard it was briefly available
> for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows Update myself. Did you?

No actually I never saw it available at WU and only installed it yesterday
when I saw PCR's post and was trying to figure out how I missed that OE
Cumulative update myself, and so had did a little research and found it and
thought I had just missed it somehow and so installed it. In the meantime
while I was doing that you posted about it which I never saw your post till I
already had my email typed and so just sent it anyway adding onto to it what
I did; otherwise I wouldn't have posted if I had saw yours first before I did
all that.

I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step out of
the box to often otherwise.

I wonder if it's actually okay to have this installed that now on my pc, I
suspect it really is okay, but now the big question I do wonder why they
pulled it from WU where I see now mae got it. Anyway, please do tell us tell
us when you find out k. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever let your MS
channels know about the IE6SP1 delete hang? ..and what they said about it?

Thanks
Rick

> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

>> > --
>> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>> >

>> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:38:20 PM

Duradan wrote:
> Thank you Ron. What we need now is a programer who can build a defragger
> and diskchecker for Win98/ME that will work on large partitions over the
> 128GB barrier. Couple that with Robert Leow's Win98 LBA 48-bit fix and and
> we can get around the coming large hard drive sized forced migration to new
> software.

Glad to see you got the newest controller for this.

Honestly, just making the an extra partitions is so easy and makes for good
order on the Storage partitions anyway. Have one for backup of partition
images I keep that one @ 121 GB, and one for other storage like software,
music, video, etc is the same, etc... OS partitions of course are lean and
mean.

It's so easy to get around this scandisk/defragger issue and I'd put
my effort in getting a few of the other things fixed that really needs
it - like... <g> ..well we won't go there here.

Rick

> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
>> >the like before.
>> >Very interesting.
>> >Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
>> >this guy
>> >http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
>> >Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
>> >

>> The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
>> the larger hard drives.
>>
>> However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
>> limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
>> actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
>> of clusters on the drive.
>>
>> Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
>> million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
>> if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
>> clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
>> 129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.
>>
>> And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.
>>
>> (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
>> bytes.)
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:45:29 PM

Chauvin, I see your post's Properties now match mine, instead of Glee's.
So, he was right what was responsible for that. Glee, Chauvin is right
that I do not normally take updates except from Windows Update. I do
know once I did take a MSHTML.dll offered by Dundat from an URL.
(Finally, I did uninstall that one, though.)

I thought I MIGHT have taken Q823353 possibly from the URL Chauvin
posts, but it would have been Bear who suggested it to me. I do not see
it in my download of criticals from the Windows Update Catalog. Usually,
I take everything into there, although I do the actual install at the
site.

HOWEVER... here it is in "Windows Update.log"...

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-...
2004-07-13 23:45:55 03:45:55 Success IUENGINE Local path
f:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
2004-07-13 23:46:29 03:46:29 Success IUENGINE Downloaded file

SO, I GUESS I had to have gotten it from there. (But if Bear should ever
say he gave it to me, I'll go with that too!)

--
> [...]
other dll's
| > date changed by 3 months but the file size is identical and haven't
bothered
| > looking at the dlll versions to compare those yet etc......
| > ..well no biggy mostlikely.
|
| :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that
way on another
| machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then uninstalled it
here. The
| update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE machines, though it
probably isn't a
| good idea to go installing patches that weren't tested on that OS.
What I am
| curious about is how PCR got it.....the way you describe, or through
Windows Update.
| I have heard it was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at

| > >> |

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:54:16 PM

PCR wrote:
> Chauvin, I see your post's Properties now match mine, instead of Glee's.

:)

> So, he was right what was responsible for that. Glee, Chauvin is right
> that I do not normally take updates except from Windows Update. I do
> know once I did take a MSHTML.dll offered by Dundat from an URL.
> (Finally, I did uninstall that one, though.)

I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly appropriate in the
long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.

> I thought I MIGHT have taken Q823353 possibly from the URL Chauvin
> posts, but it would have been Bear who suggested it to me. I do not see
> it in my download of criticals from the Windows Update Catalog. Usually,
> I take everything into there, although I do the actual install at the
> site.
>
> HOWEVER... here it is in "Windows Update.log"...

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-...

Yep, proof positive then you got it from WU.

Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another listing
in your IE about box:
MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...

This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5 others.

Rick

> 2004-07-13 23:45:55 03:45:55 Success IUENGINE Local path
> f:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
> 2004-07-13 23:46:29 03:46:29 Success IUENGINE Downloaded file
>
> SO, I GUESS I had to have gotten it from there. (But if Bear should ever
> say he gave it to me, I'll go with that too!)
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>| >
>| > I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how
>| > he got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking
>| > up his listings I found what he did which was to install:
>| > MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13, 2004
>| > Where WU for 9x only offers:
>| > MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
>| > ...so I went after what he had here:

>| > ..downloaded and installed it just fine to check it out ...and then
>| > went back to scour over the
>| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04...
>| > ..and do see it says in the beginning and in FAQ that W98 is affected
>| > but I guess they just didn't get a chance yet to put the download link
>| > there, or like I see you have said maybe they pulled it ... oh well,
>| > now I have it too - I can easily reverse it, the only thing it appears
>| > it actually changes different is the Inetcomm.dll file size changed,
>| > also a number of other dll's date changed by 3 months but the file size
>| > is identical and haven't bothered looking at the dlll versions to
>| > compare those yet etc...... ..well no biggy mostlikely.
>|
>| :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that way
>| on another machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then
>| uninstalled it here. The update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE
>| machines, though it probably isn't a good idea to go installing patches
>| that weren't tested on that OS. What I am curious about is how PCR got
>| it.....the way you describe, or through Windows Update. I have heard it
>| was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows Update
>| myself. Did you? --
>| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

>| > >> |

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:04:22 PM

Yes, the cumulatives do NOT clean up the IE About box. I have seen in
the Registry where those items are listed...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings
MinorVersion
";SP1;q313829;Q328970;Q328389;Q324929;Q810847;Q813951;Q816506;Q813489;Q3
30994;Q818529;Q822925;Q828750;Q824145;Q832894;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q8
67801;Q833989;Q834707;Q889293;Q867282;Q891781;Q890923;"

...., & some day Imay delete the ones that have disappeared from the
Add/Remove box...

| > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
| > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
| > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)

Surely, yours weren't automatically removed from the About box? Odd, NOW
I see the first two I go looking for are still marked installed. I guess
it's a protection against taking an earlier cumulative that might
over-write newer files. Yours isn't like this?

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{839117ee-2132-4bae-a56a-42b50204c9b9}]
@="Q889293"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Version"="6,0,2800,1606"
"ComponentID"="Q889293"

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{3e7bb08a-a7a3-4692-8eac-ac5e7895755b}]
@="Q834707"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Version"="6,0,2800,1584"
"ComponentID"="Q834707"

--
| You have a lot of old cumulative listings there in your IE About box
that
| were already assimilated by newer cumulatives, etc, which brings up
the point
| I'm really surprised that the newer updates don't clean up the list
from
| there.
|
| Rick
|
| PCR wrote:
| > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked
Kb891711...

| > (A) At IE6, Help, About:
| > SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
| > Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
| > Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293,
Q867282,
| > & 891781.
| >
| > (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software
Updates",
| > or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
| >
| > Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
| > Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
| > SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
| > W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
| > Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
| > W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017,
Q273991
| > Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
| > Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
| > Windows 98 TELNET
| >
| > (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
| >
| > (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
| > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
| > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
| > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
| > (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
| > (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
| > (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
| > (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
| > (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
| > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
| > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
| > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
| > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
| > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
| > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
| > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
| > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
| > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
| > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| >| ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the
critical
| >| updates for IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
| >| --
| >| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| >| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
| >|
| >| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
You're

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:55:21 PM

PCR wrote:

[...]

> Surely, yours weren't automatically removed from the About box?

No it doesn't, I didn't mean that (i wish it did) ..but you would have to
edit that manually from that MinorVersion key you pointed out, which btw is
only for the about box esthetics and afaik is not accessed with any
functionality or protection as you inquired. I just wished they cleaned that
up with each install since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc. Oh
well no big deal but if mine looked as busy as yours does I would give it an
edit for sure, i think, or just never pay attention or refer to it as a
reality which I don't anyway. My IE6 about box only has a few entries
because I never decided to install IE6 on my 9x partition until recently
where I had always run the latest IE5.5SP2 because of you know why <g> ..and
so when decided to finally get out of the 5.5SP2 age installing IE6SP1
recently I only had to do the latest cumulative and 1 or 2 other SU's.

nite..

Rick
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:19:16 PM

I thought "Windows Update.log" might prove it.

| I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly appropriate
in the
| long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.

Well, for a while I was getting a crash to the IE Error Report Tool,
upon clicking to exit my last open IE instance. BUT I certainly couldn't
pin it on Q823353 forgetful of dates/etc. as I am, & I haven't seen such
a crash in a long, long, time now-- with it still installed. Let me know
how it goes.

| Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another
listing
| in your IE about box:
| MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
|
| This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
| Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
others.

Uhuh, here is Wininit.ini, after taking the new IE cumulative (& the
fixed KB891711) from Windows Update, but before a reboot. (I doubt any
of this is from KB891711, which is sitting again CHECKED in MSConfig.)
Now, I have been bumped off the NET (by NetZero I guess), & soon will do
that reboot, with trepidation.

[Rename]
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

--
> [...]
| >| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
Win98,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...

| >|

| >|
| >| :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that
way
| >| on another machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then
| >| uninstalled it here. The update does seem to work fine on my
Win98SE
| >| machines, though it probably isn't a good idea to go installing
patches
| >| that weren't tested on that OS. What I am curious about is how PCR
got
| >| it.....the way you describe, or through Windows Update. I have
heard it
| >| was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows

| >| > >> |
ASAP.
Windows,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:17:56 AM

| I just wished they cleaned that up with each install
| since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc.

You may have one too many an "etc." there, as they also haven't removed
the "IsInstalled" Registry keys, as I posted earlier...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{839117ee-2132-4bae-a56a-42b50204c9b9}]
@="Q889293"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Version"="6,0,2800,1606"
"ComponentID"="Q889293"

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{3e7bb08a-a7a3-4692-8eac-ac5e7895755b}]
@="Q834707"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Version"="6,0,2800,1584"
"ComponentID"="Q834707"

I guess I'll leave my post as is, but would have decided otherwise had
they deleted these keys & the others like them. Here it is, updated
after taking the new cumulative Q890923 & now having reboot.

BY THE WAY, KB891711 is now working. It doesn't show at Ctrl-Alt-Del,
but is at "MSInfo32, Software Environment, Running Tasks"...

KB891711.EXE 4.10.2223 Microsoft Corporation Windows KB891711 component
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE 3.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R)
Operating System

(A) At IE6, Help, About:
SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
Q891781, & Q890923.

(B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
Windows 98 TELNET

(C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

(1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
(2) Internet Explorer Q890923
(was Q891781, Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894,

news:o Oj98p6PFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
|
| [...]
|
| > Surely, yours weren't automatically removed from the About box?
|
| No it doesn't, I didn't mean that (i wish it did) ..but you would have
| edit that manually from that MinorVersion key you pointed out, which
btw is
| only for the about box esthetics and afaik is not accessed with any
| functionality or protection as you inquired. I just wished they
cleaned that
| up with each install since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc,
etc. Oh
| well no big deal but if mine looked as busy as yours does I would give
it an
| edit for sure, i think, or just never pay attention or refer to it as
| reality which I don't anyway. My IE6 about box only has a few entries
| because I never decided to install IE6 on my 9x partition until
recently
| where I had always run the latest IE5.5SP2 because of you know why <g>
...and
| so when decided to finally get out of the 5.5SP2 age installing IE6SP1
| recently I only had to do the latest cumulative and 1 or 2 other SU's.
|
| nite..
|
| Rick

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:10:14 AM

> I thought "Windows Update.log" might prove it.
>
> | I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly appropriate
> in the
> | long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.
>
> Well, for a while I was getting a crash to the IE Error Report Tool,
> upon clicking to exit my last open IE instance. BUT I certainly couldn't
> pin it on Q823353 forgetful of dates/etc. as I am, & I haven't seen such
> a crash in a long, long, time now-- with it still installed. Let me know
> how it goes.

This is interesting, because I had installed the 823353 update here in January, from
the download site that does not list it for Win9x (I installed the version they list
for WinNT...same files are installed), and shortly after that I began getting
crashes when closing my last instance of IE, also. The only changes I could think
of that coincided with this occurrence were the update, and an update to my A-V that
added a web-scan module. I uninstalled the 823353 update, but still got the IE
crashes periodically when closing the last instance. I disabled the web scanning
A-V module entirely, and I still sometimes get the crashes, so I am unable at this
point to determine what suddenly started the crashes. Additionally, I can't see why
an update to OE files would cause IE crashes but not OE crashes.

> | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another
> listing
> | in your IE about box:
> | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
> | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
> |
> | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
> | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
> others.

Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file has any effect
on the "mass delete freeze" bug.

--
> [...]

> | Yep, proof positive then you got it from WU.
> |
> | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another
> listing
> | in your IE about box:
> | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
> | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
> |
> | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
> | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
> others.
> |
> | Rick
> |

> | > 2004-07-13 23:45:55 03:45:55 Success IUENGINE Local path
> | >
> f:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
> | > 2004-07-13 23:46:29 03:46:29 Success IUENGINE Downloaded
> file
> | >
> | > SO, I GUESS I had to have gotten it from there. (But if Bear should
> ever
> | > say he gave it to me, I'll go with that too!)

April 13, 2005 3:34:46 AM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
news:o K0Y9y1PFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> glee wrote:
> > "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message
>
> No actually I never saw it available at WU and only installed it yesterday
> when I saw PCR's post and was trying to figure out how I missed that OE
> Cumulative update myself, and so had did a little research and found it and
> thought I had just missed it somehow and so installed it. In the meantime
> while I was doing that you posted about it which I never saw your post till I
> already had my email typed and so just sent it anyway adding onto to it what
> I did; otherwise I wouldn't have posted if I had saw yours first before I did
> all that.

I had installed it that way also, and then uninstalled it as part of t-shooting an
IE crash problem....see my reply to PCR. I don't think it was responsible for the
IE crash, BTW.

> I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step out of
> the box to often otherwise.

He concurs....although with PCR, it may be that they don't *let* him out of the box
too often... ;-)

> I wonder if it's actually okay to have this installed that now on my pc, I
> suspect it really is okay, but now the big question I do wonder why they
> pulled it from WU where I see now mae got it. Anyway, please do tell us tell
> us when you find out k. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever let your MS
> channels know about the IE6SP1 delete hang? ..and what they said about it?

I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere. As for the IE6 hang/freeze with mass
deletes, I have not done anything formal with it yet, as I *thought* Chris Quirke
was following up on that, but I am now not sure that he has....so I may have to
instead. Chris made a web page on the issue and I believe he gave the page link to
*someone* in the loop with MS, but I dunno if that got where it needs to go. I
would not expect any sort of resolution on the issue from MS however, at this late
date in the support cycle. I will let you know what/if I find out.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:02:18 AM

news:o 0DE$Y9PFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > I thought "Windows Update.log" might prove it.
| >
| > | I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly
appropriate
| > in the
| > | long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.
| >
| > Well, for a while I was getting a crash to the IE Error Report Tool,
| > upon clicking to exit my last open IE instance. BUT I certainly
couldn't
| > pin it on Q823353 forgetful of dates/etc. as I am, & I haven't seen
such
| > a crash in a long, long, time now-- with it still installed. Let me
know
| > how it goes.
|
| This is interesting, because I had installed the 823353 update here in
January, from
| the download site that does not list it for Win9x (I installed the
version they list
| for WinNT...same files are installed), and shortly after that I began
getting
| crashes when closing my last instance of IE, also. The only changes I
could think
| of that coincided with this occurrence were the update, and an update
to my A-V that
| added a web-scan module. I uninstalled the 823353 update, but still
got the IE
| crashes periodically when closing the last instance. I disabled the
web scanning
| A-V module entirely, and I still sometimes get the crashes, so I am
unable at this
| point to determine what suddenly started the crashes. Additionally, I
can't see why
| an update to OE files would cause IE crashes but not OE crashes.

Only once, the Error Report Tool said it was McAfee at fault. But, I
still have McAfee & Q823353, & not a crash in quite some time. I even
run it with Auto-System Scan turned on again. Those crashed always went
to the Error Report Tool, unfortunately, & never to DrWatson. NOW, I
begin to recall, there were times the Tool went batty, & instance after
instance of DW15.exe began to multiply in Ctrl-Alt-Del. But it didn't
always happen that way. Looking now in DW.log, I see...

........Quote DW.log.........
09:32 PM 6/2/04Microsoft Internet Explorer
Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
offset 11c06286
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Bucket: 22775952
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
offset 11c06286
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
offset 11c06286
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
offset 11c06286
Microsoft Internet Explorer
....snip of a ton more of that...
........EOQ.....................

But I find it hard to believe it was quite that long ago I saw the
crash. It's possible I put that date in there myself with Notepad &
forgot to update it at each crash.

| > | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet
another
| > listing
| > | in your IE about box:
| > | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
| > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
| > |
| > | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
| > | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
| > others.
|
| Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file
has any effect
| on the "mass delete freeze" bug.

I thought of that too, but forgot to do it before getting online again.
Well, OK, let me do it right now, even online, OE open at this post, &
with McAfee in full force...

F:\My Documents>dir /a /s
....snip...
Total files listed:
657 file(s) 3,713,282 bytes
32 dir(s) 7,525.63 MB free

That is a backup on F:\. Deleting THAT in Explorer normally will get me
to a "Low Resources" warning & the rest of it.

Nope, not fixed! I got the warning, although Resource Meter shows
acceptable levels. Also, there was a slight delay with Explorer
refreshing it's display afterwards. And, restoring the F:\My Documents
afterwards had a similar effect, uh...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
....Quote......
Once problem starts, all file operations in that session affected
- impossible to do any renames, deletes, New Folder creation
- new Explorer.exe windows affected, old ones OK at first
....snip...
The target window stops responding, and during this time:
- no part of the window is repainted
....EOQ........

Although, fine, it's not IMPOSSIBLE, just fairly ugly.

| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|

| > Uhuh, here is Wininit.ini, after taking the new IE cumulative (& the
| > fixed KB891711) from Windows Update, but before a reboot. (I doubt
any
| > of this is from KB891711, which is sitting again CHECKED in
MSConfig.)
| > Now, I have been bumped off the NET (by NetZero I guess), & soon
will do
| > that reboot, with trepidation.
| >
| > [Rename]
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
| > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
....snip
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:07:17 AM

news:o f$Msm9PFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
....snip

| > I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step
out of
| > the box to often otherwise.
|
| He concurs....although with PCR, it may be that they don't *let* him
out of the box
| too often... ;-)
....snip

I heard that! Don't give "them" any ideas!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
April 13, 2005 5:33:02 AM

Here we go again! <smile>

"PCR" wrote:

> I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

> (A) At IE6, Help, About:
> SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
> Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
> Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
> & 891781.
>
> (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
> or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
>
> Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
> Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
> SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
> W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
> Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
> W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
> Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
> Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
> Windows 98 TELNET
>
> (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
>
> (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
> (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
> (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
> Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
> (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
> (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
> (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
> (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
> (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
> (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
> (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
> (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
> (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
> (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
> (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
> (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
> (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
> (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
> updates for
> | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> |
> | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> | > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
> 6.00.2800.1409")
> | > tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
> | > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
> | > --
> | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> | > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> | >
> | > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> | >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

> usenet or
> available from

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:04:16 AM

Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

(although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)

IB

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:uiEKA3tPFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
> > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
> > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
> > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
> > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
> > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
> > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
> > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
> > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
> >
> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
> > updates for
> > | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?

April 13, 2005 6:04:17 AM

I thought I would let you know that Ivan is a great name. My dad is named
Ivan and the CEO of Verizon is also an Ivan. Have a great day, all three
Ivans. <grin>

"Ivan Bútora" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
> > >
> > > (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
> > > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
> > > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
> > > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
> > > (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
> > > (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
> > > (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
> > > (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
> > > (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
> > > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
> > > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
> > > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> > > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
> > > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
> > > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
> > > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
> > > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
> > > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
> > > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

April 13, 2005 4:04:11 PM

glee wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> news:o K0Y9y1PFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> glee wrote:
>> > "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message
>>
>> No actually I never saw it available at WU and only installed it yesterday
>> when I saw PCR's post and was trying to figure out how I missed that OE
>> Cumulative update myself, and so had did a little research and found it
>> and thought I had just missed it somehow and so installed it. In the
>> meantime while I was doing that you posted about it which I never saw
>> your post till I already had my email typed and so just sent it anyway
>> adding onto to it what I did; otherwise I wouldn't have posted if I had
>> saw yours first before I did all that.
>
> I had installed it that way also, and then uninstalled it as part of
> t-shooting an IE crash problem....see my reply to PCR. I don't think it
> was responsible for the IE crash, BTW.

Okay thanks for the info.

>> I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step out
>> of the box to often otherwise.
>
> He concurs....although with PCR, it may be that they don't *let* him out
> of the box too often... ;-)

<smile>

>> I wonder if it's actually okay to have this installed that now on my pc, I
>> suspect it really is okay, but now the big question I do wonder why they
>> pulled it from WU where I see now mae got it. Anyway, please do tell us
>> tell us when you find out k. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever let
>> your MS channels know about the IE6SP1 delete hang? ..and what they said
>> about it?
>>

> I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere. As for the IE6 hang/freeze with
> mass deletes, I have not done anything formal with it yet, as I *thought*
> Chris Quirke was following up on that, but I am now not sure that he
> has....so I may have to instead. Chris made a web page on the issue and I
> believe he gave the page link to *someone* in the loop with MS, but I
> dunno if that got where it needs to go. I would not expect any sort of
> resolution on the issue from MS however, at this late date in the support
> cycle. I will let you know what/if I find out. --

Okay thank you, yes please do let me/us know on both counts.

I'm just going to leave the MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13,
2004 installed because observing the install changes made everything looks
and feels appropriate anyway.

As for the IE6 del/hang, yes Chris said he did pass it along, but of course
with other MVP's sending in a little ditty reporting the same issue and
pointing to Chris's page too - well, the squeaky wheel may just get the
grease. Yes I do ..Well.. realize it's late in the game with 98x, but still
it would be a good thing to get this one solved too - heck, it can be even
slipped in the next IE Cumulative since after all even the latest cumulative
yesterday replaced the browseui.dll

I was really really glad to see you tested and proved it out that day.

It's really easy to make and save a test delete folder to use.
If we had a few more MVP's that use and support 9x in this group do that and
see it's a pesky problem and send in a quick note about it, well, in some way
it could just get fixed.

Thanks Glen,
Rick

> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:07:55 PM

glee wrote:

[...]

>> | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
>> | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
>> others.
>
> Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file has
> any effect on the "mass delete freeze" bug.

I wish it was true, but no, and as PCR said it's still the same.

It only took me 10 seconds to prove it. ..and then a reboot.

It's easy to pre-create and save a test folder for testing this at any future
moment. I just keep 1550 little files in a test folder, but at any moment
'select all' files inside the folder and delete - then as it finishes the
deleting.. ..bingo.

Each time I've tested it over the last few years I kept deleting 50 less
files less each time to see where the threshold was, and finally got it down
to realizing that if I delete 1400 files it doesn't do it - but If I delete
1550 files it does it every single time I do it (so the threshold number is
somewhere in in-between 1400-1550) However as been said before and is
Certainly true occasionally just deleting 1 file or some simple task will set
it off as well. But again for me, each and every time a 1550 block of files
is deleted it will happen.

Rick

> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:10:09 PM

PCR wrote:
>| I just wished they cleaned that up with each install
>| since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc.
>
> You may have one too many an "etc." there, as they also haven't removed
> the "IsInstalled" Registry keys, as I posted earlier...

[...]

Yes I had seen that too, but I would leave those alone and didn't mention it
because they are harmless and I didn't want to spend the time to determine if
it really mattered if I removed them - at that moment I was more
concentrating with the cleanup of the apparent non-functional IE About Box
listings being for esthetic view only.

It's a p.i.t.a though to have to go around paying attention to mundane clean
up where I wish they had done that, but no big deal and I'm just going to
leave it and concentrate on nicer things than that ...like spending more
time with my wife instead of the computer as she tells me.
...it's hard though - I do love them both. :)

Rick
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:13:17 PM

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

> (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
>
> IB

Nice catch Ivan!
I've not seen this one yet

Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K & XP

It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before, and what
you have to do after you install it:

<quotes>
Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This security
update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for
Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you want. To
do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after each
symptom description.
<big snips>
<end of quotes>

I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.

But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of which
affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen since they
want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install this
update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is incomplete
since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear and clean
'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine the next OE
Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just wait for that
one.

Rick
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:51:40 PM

Right, Windows Update should be more neat, & your wife should get 50% of
your time. It's odd, before the fixed KB891711 came out, there were
reports the OLD one was not offered to those who had uninstalled it.
Uninstalling it removed it's "IsInstalled" Key, but left behind an empty
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711 folder. (The NEW one I know didn't care
whether anything of the old was there/not.)

So, I'm sure you are right, but really one never really knows what that
site is checking. Let me look at it again...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings
MinorVersion
";SP1;q313829;Q328970;Q328389;Q324929;Q810847;Q813951;Q816506;Q813489;Q3
30994;Q818529;Q822925;Q828750;Q824145;Q832894;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q8
67801;Q833989;Q834707;Q889293;Q867282;Q891781;Q890923;"

Who knows? Maybe it will soon blow up of it's own accord! STILL, I'm
probably better off with this than with an angry wife!

--
news:o QVE1PEQFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| >| I just wished they cleaned that up with each install
| >| since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc.
| >
| > You may have one too many an "etc." there, as they also haven't
removed
| > the "IsInstalled" Registry keys, as I posted earlier...
|
| [...]
|
| Yes I had seen that too, but I would leave those alone and didn't
mention it
| because they are harmless and I didn't want to spend the time to
determine if
| it really mattered if I removed them - at that moment I was more
| concentrating with the cleanup of the apparent non-functional IE About
Box
| listings being for esthetic view only.
|
| It's a p.i.t.a though to have to go around paying attention to mundane
clean
| up where I wish they had done that, but no big deal and I'm just going
| leave it and concentrate on nicer things than that ...like spending
more
| time with my wife instead of the computer as she tells me.
| ..it's hard though - I do love them both. :)
|
| Rick

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:55:12 PM

It was Q823353.

--
| Here we go again! <smile>
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked
Kb891711...

| > (A) At IE6, Help, About:
| > SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
| > Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
| > Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293,
Q867282,
| > & 891781.
| >
| > (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software
Updates",
| > or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
| >
| > Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
| > Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
| > SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
| > W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
| > Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
| > W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017,
Q273991
| > Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
| > Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
| > Windows 98 TELNET
| >
| > (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
| >
| > (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
| > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
| > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
| > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
| > (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
| > (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
| > (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
| > (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
| > (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
| > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
| > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
| > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
| > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
| > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
| > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
| > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
| > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
| > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
| > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the
critical
| > updates for
| > | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
| > | --
| > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
| > |
| > | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > 6.00.2800.1409")

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

| > usenet or
| > available from

| > |

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:18:26 AM

Well, the whole thing doesn't make sense to me at this point, Rick. 823353 is a
prerequisite for 887797, and 887797 is a valid update for Win98 users; yet, its
prerequisite 823353 is being said to be *not* for Win98. <grrr> Time to talk to
someone at MS, I think......
--

> Ivan Bútora wrote:
> > Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

> > (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
> >
> > IB
>
> Nice catch Ivan!
> I've not seen this one yet
>
> Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
> install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
> ..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K & XP
>
> It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before, and what
> you have to do after you install it:
>
> <quotes>
> Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
> site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This security
> update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
> 823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
> After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for
> Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you want. To
> do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after each
> symptom description.
> <big snips>
> <end of quotes>
>
> I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.
>
> But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of which
> affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen since they
> want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install this
> update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is incomplete
> since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear and clean
> 'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine the next OE
> Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just wait for that
> one.
>
> Rick

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:31:15 AM

> glee wrote:
>
> [...]
> >> others.
> >
> > Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file has
> > any effect on the "mass delete freeze" bug.
>

> I wish it was true, but no, and as PCR said it's still the same.
>
> It only took me 10 seconds to prove it. ..and then a reboot.
>
> It's easy to pre-create and save a test folder for testing this at any future
> moment. I just keep 1550 little files in a test folder, but at any moment
> 'select all' files inside the folder and delete - then as it finishes the
> deleting.. ..bingo.
>
> Each time I've tested it over the last few years I kept deleting 50 less
> files less each time to see where the threshold was, and finally got it down
> to realizing that if I delete 1400 files it doesn't do it - but If I delete
> 1550 files it does it every single time I do it (so the threshold number is
> somewhere in in-between 1400-1550) However as been said before and is
> Certainly true occasionally just deleting 1 file or some simple task will set
> it off as well. But again for me, each and every time a 1550 block of files
> is deleted it will happen.

That is pretty much the same range where it hit me here also, during my recent
testing. Only diff I have found on this system is that Explorer does not ever
recover, even if I wait 15 minutes.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:39:21 AM

I would like to see 887797 offered at Windows Update even for just one
hour before I take it! I'm not sure I have any of the symptoms of which
it speaks, & there appears to be rigmarole involved in activating it.

--
| Well, the whole thing doesn't make sense to me at this point, Rick.
823353 is a
| prerequisite for 887797, and 887797 is a valid update for Win98 users;
yet, its
| prerequisite 823353 is being said to be *not* for Win98. <grrr> Time
to talk to
| someone at MS, I think......
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| > Ivan Bútora wrote:
| > > Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

| > > (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
| > >
| > > IB
| >
| > Nice catch Ivan!
| > I've not seen this one yet
| >
| > Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
| > install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
| > ..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K &
XP

| > It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before,
and what
| > you have to do after you install it:
| >
| > <quotes>
| > Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows
Update Web
| > site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This
security
| > update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article:
| > 823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
| > After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express
for
| > Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you
want. To
| > do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after
each
| > symptom description.
| > <big snips>
| > <end of quotes>
| >
| > I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.
| >
| > But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of
which
| > affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen
since they
| > want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install
this
| > update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is
incomplete
| > since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear and
clean
| > 'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine the
next OE
| > Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just wait for
that
| > one.
| >
| > Rick

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:18:35 PM

glee wrote:
> Well, the whole thing doesn't make sense to me at this point, Rick.
> 823353 is a prerequisite for 887797, and 887797 is a valid update for
> Win98 users; yet, its prerequisite 823353 is being said to be *not* for
> Win98. <grrr> Time to talk to someone at MS, I think......
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

I know it, they all gots so many complicated instances being put in the pot
all at once and where everything affects everything else, but hopefully the
project workers are set up so that it's the 'same consistent' teams with who
works on what. You can imagine coding and keeping track of sooo many
variables with so many different affected software's is quite an incredible
task and human error comes more into play. It must be frustrating for you
MVP's haing to deal with the end user on the mistakes..

Rick

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Ivan Bútora wrote:
>> > Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

>> > (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
>> >
>> > IB
>>
>> Nice catch Ivan!
>> I've not seen this one yet
>>
>> Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
>> install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
>> ..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K & XP
>>
>> It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before, and
>> what you have to do after you install it:
>>
>> <quotes>
>> Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
>> site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This security
>> update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
>> 823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
>> After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for
>> Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you want.
>> To do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after each
>> symptom description.
>> <big snips>
>> <end of quotes>
>>
>> I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.
>>
>> But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of which
>> affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen since
>> they want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install this
>> update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is
>> incomplete since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear
>> and clean 'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine
>> the next OE Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just
>> wait for that one.
>>
>> Rick
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:19:14 PM

glee wrote:
>> "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message

[...]

>> It's easy to pre-create and save a test folder for testing this at any
>> future moment. I just keep 1550 little files in a test folder, but at
>> any moment 'select all' files inside the folder and delete - then as it
>> finishes the deleting.. ..bingo.
>>
>> Each time I've tested it over the last few years I kept deleting 50 less
>> files less each time to see where the threshold was, and finally got it
>> down to realizing that if I delete 1400 files it doesn't do it - but If I
>> delete 1550 files it does it every single time I do it (so the threshold
>> number is somewhere in in-between 1400-1550) However as been said
>> before and is Certainly true occasionally just deleting 1 file or some
>> simple task will set it off as well. But again for me, each and every
>> time a 1550 block of files is deleted it will happen.

> That is pretty much the same range where it hit me here also, during my
> recent testing. Only diff I have found on this system is that Explorer
> does not ever recover, even if I wait 15 minutes.

Glen, you said 'only difference you have found....' but I'm not sure why you
said that because there is no difference in anything I or anyone else has
experienced either with Explorer, where Explorer 'never' recovers 'properly'
no matter how long you wait unless you reboot. Once it happens to me these
days I just automatically reboot right away to clear it.

It's also good to know you noticed the same quantity range of files deleted
which every time sets it off too.

Rick

!