defrag 'fix' for win98 on large drives

Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
like before.
Very interesting.
Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
this guy
http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
129 answers Last reply
More about defrag win98 large drives

    OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
    tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
    less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    Duradan wrote:
    > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    > the like before.
    > Very interesting.
    > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    > this guy
    > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical updates for
    IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
    > tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
    > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx
    >
    > Duradan wrote:
    > > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    > > the like before.
    > > Very interesting.
    > > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    > > this guy
    > > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
    --

    "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
    > like before.
    > Very interesting.
    > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    > this guy
    > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
    Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
    that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.

    The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard. The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.
    NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
    --
    mae

    "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:%2349mJckPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    |
    | "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
    | > like before.
    | > Very interesting.
    | > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    | > this guy
    | > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    | > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    Yea, I know there are still 13 I need to get. But with the latest 711 patch
    flap, I was harshly affected by it, I've been less strident in my updating.
    I use FireFox to browse new sites and often IE for familiar trusted sites.
    OE probably has several in that waiting load of.....updates.
    I will be sure not to hit that one until I see some reliable "I tried it on
    my Win98 system and it is fine" statements.
    I am thinking about his 'fix', but like you guys said, if it works, why is
    it so hard to find?
    Here is our correspondence

    First, his reply to my letter prior.

    My Patch Program does not affect Windows SCANDISK or DEFRAG so you will
    still need to make individual Partitions less than 127GB. You can run
    SCANDISK in DOS, not a DOS Box, on larger Partitions. I haven't found a
    DEFRAG that will work. The ones I have found on the Web so far use the
    Windows DEFRAG libraries so they have the same problem.

    You should be able to Install the Drive on most if not all Motherboards
    using the Patch.

    You should not need to reformat or Repartition the Drive to move from one
    Motherboard to another with the Patch.

    Sincerely,

    Rudolph R. Loew
    rloew@hotmail.com

    >From: "duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com>
    >To: <rloew@hotmail.com>
    >Subject: high capacity disc patch
    >Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:17:40 -0500
    >
    >Hi. About your large capacity drive program. Will it allow the basic
    Windows98 defrag and scandisc programs to function on the full 137GB+ of a
    drive?
    >And if not, is there a program that will defrag the entire space as a
    single partition?
    >Currently I have just installed a 160GB drive on a controller card, but if
    your software will eliminate the defrag/scan problems it would be much
    prefered.
    >Not to mention having the large drives install directly on a mobo in future
    would be nice.
    >I have an AMD based AOpen AK77-333 mobo with the via Via Apollo Pro chipset
    family and am running Win98SE.
    >Also, would I have to reformat the drive to move it to the mobo under
    Windows for the software to deal with it or can I keep the current data
    intact during the move?

    > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
    > tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
    > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    Someone should build a defragger for large drives and get rich . There is
    about to be a massive influx of large drives being bought by the average
    users and not knowing it won't be possible to defrag or scan for errors.
    Drives over 120GB are getting cheap, and us poor folks still using our Win98
    are gonna need it.

    Duradan wrote:

    > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    > this guy
    > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    I've not seen that software yet - and congrats to Mr. Loew for doing that.

    However, using a modern controller card with its exceptional advantaged
    qualifications is the ultimate way to do it, period! ..all else comparatively
    is limited.

    Continuing from my reply to your earlier post and now to this one Duradan,
    using any modern Controller card which takes care of not only that 9x 127GB
    limitation issue, but it also inherently gives the extra remarkable advantage
    of increasing overall system performance dramatically, even much better than
    any AA (application accelerator) which is intel proprietary anyway not to
    mention its other software based limitations; whereas the controller card has
    no such limitations whatsoever and besides covers all brand motherboards. A
    controller card also gives the advantage of having extra dual primary ports
    with that wonderful convenience as well.

    I would not own a desktop computer that does not use a controller card, not
    only just for W9x usage but for W2000/WXP also where those show and overall
    system performance increase using it as well.

    It's a no-brainer, and for those who have one and have compared the
    differences with and without it - know what I'm talking about.
    It's especially noticeable when using todays fast modern motherboards and
    processors and run 9x - you have no idea what you are missing. Even works
    well for those with old mb's and processors too.

    Here's a link with some screenshots of it:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album
    ..here's just one of many places you can buy it:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-007&depa=0
    ..but of course buy it wherever you want - but without question be sure it's
    a Promise ULTRA133 TX2 model because it's the best & includes the latest
    mods.

    Rick

    sorry, here's the right link for those screensots:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=16-102-007-06.JPG/16-102-007-04.JPG/16-102-007-03.jpg/16-102-007-02.JPG&CurImage=16-102-007-02.JPG

    I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

    (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    & 891781.

    (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

    Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    Windows 98 TELNET

    (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

    (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
    updates for
    | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    |
    | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    6.00.2800.1409")
    | > tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
    | > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
    | > --
    | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    | >
    | > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    | > Duradan wrote:
    | > > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used
    usenet or
    | > > the like before.
    | > > Very interesting.
    | > > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix'
    available from
    | > > this guy
    | > > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    | > > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    This is the first I have heard of it, and if it works as advertised then
    he's done a real service to the W9x community. But I am a bit suspicious,
    as it was my understanding that the problem was based in the BIOS and the
    way that Windows is forced to use the BIOS for disk services. That's why
    the controller card option works. If he can do in software what a new
    controller does in the BIOS then there's no reason that the fix shouldn't be
    OK.

    If the fix has been around for some time, I would query why we haven't heard
    more about it. Or perhaps it's brand new. Why not e-mail him and ask some
    questions (like why isn't he advertising this a bit more widely!).
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
    Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
    that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs are
    available for the PC and Amiga Computers.

    The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide
    direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB without requiring a
    controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only beused
    with an Intel chipset motherboard. The patch installs support for the48-Bit
    addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.
    NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
    --
    mae

    | I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    |
    | "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    the
    | > like before.
    | > Very interesting.
    | > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
    from
    | > this guy
    | > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    | > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    I thought that too, but he only seems concerned about the boot
    process. From the manual-

    "
    REQUIREMENTS

    Windows 98, 98SE or ME (Read WINDOWS ME Section Below if using Windows ME)

    BIOS support for hard drives >137GB or
    A Windows Compatable Boot Manager that supports hard drives >137GB
    A Mini Boot Manager is now available from Rudolph R. Loew
    "

    btw, the demo is good for up to 145GB.

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message news:%237nXChmPFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > This is the first I have heard of it, and if it works as advertised then he's done a real service to the W9x community. But I am
    > a bit suspicious, as it was my understanding that the problem was based in the BIOS and the way that Windows is forced to use the
    > BIOS for disk services. That's why the controller card option works. If he can do in software what a new controller does in the
    > BIOS then there's no reason that the fix shouldn't be OK.
    >
    > If the fix has been around for some time, I would query why we haven't heard more about it. Or perhaps it's brand new. Why not
    > e-mail him and ask some questions (like why isn't he advertising this a bit more widely!).
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message news:%23ZwSgUlPFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
    > Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
    > that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.
    >
    > The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB
    > without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard.
    > The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.
    > NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
    > --
    > mae
    >
    > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:%2349mJckPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > | I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
    > | --
    > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > |
    > | "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
    > | > like before.
    > | > Very interesting.
    > | > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    > | > this guy
    > | > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > | > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    You have a lot of old cumulative listings there in your IE About box that
    were already assimilated by newer cumulatives, etc, which brings up the point
    I'm really surprised that the newer updates don't clean up the list from
    there.

    Rick

    glee wrote:
    > means you have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98,
    > though it may have been offerred for a brief period of time according to
    > reports that I have not confirmed. Outlook Express Update 823353 was not
    > released for Win98/98SE/ME according to this:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx
    > Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
    > so the update was not released for them.

    I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how he
    got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking up his
    listings I found what he did which was to install:
    MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13, 2004
    Where WU for 9x only offers:
    MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
    ....so I went after what he had here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD6A96BC-DAF0-4EAB-89B8-BD702B3E3E5D&displaylang=en
    ..downloaded and installed it just fine to check it out ...and then went
    back to scour over the
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-018.mspx
    ..and do see it says in the beginning and in FAQ that W98 is affected but I
    guess they just didn't get a chance yet to put the download link there, or
    like I see you have said maybe they pulled it ... oh well, now I have it
    too - I can easily reverse it, the only thing it appears it actually changes
    different is the Inetcomm.dll file size changed, also a number of other dll's
    date changed by 3 months but the file size is identical and haven't bothered
    looking at the dlll versions to compare those yet etc......
    ...well no biggy mostlikely.

    Rick

> [...]
    >> updates for
    >> | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
    >> | --
    >> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> |
    >> | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> 6.00.2800.1409")

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    >> usenet or
    >> available from

    "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or the
    >like before.
    >Very interesting.
    >Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    >this guy
    >http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    >Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
    the larger hard drives.

    However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
    limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
    actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
    of clusters on the drive.

    Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
    million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
    if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
    clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
    129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.

    And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.

    (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
    bytes.)

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > glee wrote:
    > > means you have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98,
    > > though it may have been offerred for a brief period of time according to
    > > reports that I have not confirmed. Outlook Express Update 823353 was not
    > > released for Win98/98SE/ME according to this:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx
    > > Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
    > > so the update was not released for them.
    >
    > I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how he
    > got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking up his
    > listings I found what he did which was to install:
    > MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13, 2004
    > Where WU for 9x only offers:
    > MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
    > ...so I went after what he had here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD6A96BC-DAF0-4EAB-89B8-BD702B3E3E5D&displaylang=en
    > ..downloaded and installed it just fine to check it out ...and then went
    > back to scour over the
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-018.mspx
    > ..and do see it says in the beginning and in FAQ that W98 is affected but I
    > guess they just didn't get a chance yet to put the download link there, or
    > like I see you have said maybe they pulled it ... oh well, now I have it
    > too - I can easily reverse it, the only thing it appears it actually changes
    > different is the Inetcomm.dll file size changed, also a number of other dll's
    > date changed by 3 months but the file size is identical and haven't bothered
    > looking at the dlll versions to compare those yet etc......
    > ..well no biggy mostlikely.

    :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that way on another
    machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then uninstalled it here. The
    update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE machines, though it probably isn't a
    good idea to go installing patches that weren't tested on that OS. What I am
    curious about is how PCR got it.....the way you describe, or through Windows Update.
    I have heard it was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows
    Update myself. Did you?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > >> I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

    > >> (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    > >> SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    > >> Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    > >> Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    > >> & 891781.
    > >>
    > >> (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    > >> or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
    > >>
    > >> Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    > >> Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    > >> SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    > >> W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    > >> Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    > >> W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    > >> Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    > >> Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    > >> Windows 98 TELNET
    > >>
    > >> (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
    > >>
    > >> (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    > >> (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    > >> (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    > >> Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    > >> (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    > >> (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    > >> (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    > >> (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    > >> (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    > >> (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    > >> (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    > >> (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    > >> (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    > >> (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    > >> (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    > >> (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    > >> (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    > >> (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    > >> (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    > >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    > >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    > >> should things get worse after this,
    > >> PCR
    > >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > >> updates for

    > >> 6.00.2800.1409")

    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    > >> usenet or
    > >> available from

    WU installed on both 98/98se. Guess to correct the tilde or mistake?
    itemID="ie60x.internetexplorer6x.ver_platform_win32_windows.4.10.x86.en.....
    ..com_microsoft.q823353_oe6_sp1.
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU_5ee60d6c9b9464c7ddf332147ebd16f.exe
    2004-07-17 15:34:24 20:34:24 Success IUENGINE Local path
    c:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
    Successful Saturday, July 17, 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
    Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) Web site
    --
    mae

    means you
    | have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98, though it may
    have been
    | offerred for a brief period of time according to reports that I have not
    confirmed.
    | Outlook Express Update 823353 was not released for Win98/98SE/ME according
    to this:
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx
    | Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
    so the
    | update was not released for them.
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    | > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

    I *hate* when that happens.

    And yet...

    [On 11 Apr-05] Duradan wrote:
    > Yea, I know there are still 13 I need to get.
    <snip>
    --
    ~PAÞ

    glee wrote:
    > ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
    > updates for IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?

    >> OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409")
    >> tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
    >> less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    >>
    >> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx
    >>
    >> Duradan wrote:
    >>> Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    >>> the like before.
    >>> Very interesting.
    >>> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
    >>> from
    >>> this guy
    >>> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    >>> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?

    I believe as long as the mobo can read the larger drives the mini boot
    manager isn't needed. Older mobos can't but anything from the last few years
    can, as my AOpen does. It had no problem recognizing the drive in BIOS, it
    was just Windows that had the problems with the drive on the mobo
    controller.
    With the controller card, the LBA 48-bit barrier in Windows is irrellevant
    as the card handles all that internally and just passes the data to the PCI
    bus.
    The card does have a BIOS screen immediately after the mobo BIOS and prior
    to Windows loading. Is that a DDO or whatever?

    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > I thought that too, but he only seems concerned about the boot
    > process. From the manual-
    >
    > "
    > REQUIREMENTS
    >
    > Windows 98, 98SE or ME (Read WINDOWS ME Section Below if using Windows ME)
    >
    > BIOS support for hard drives >137GB or
    > A Windows Compatable Boot Manager that supports hard drives >137GB
    > A Mini Boot Manager is now available from Rudolph R. Loew
    > "
    >
    > btw, the demo is good for up to 145GB.
    >

    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > > This is the first I have heard of it, and if it works as advertised then
    he's done a real service to the W9x community. But I am
    > > a bit suspicious, as it was my understanding that the problem was based
    in the BIOS and the way that Windows is forced to use the
    > > BIOS for disk services. That's why the controller card option works.
    If he can do in software what a new controller does in the
    > > BIOS then there's no reason that the fix shouldn't be OK.
    > >
    > > If the fix has been around for some time, I would query why we haven't
    heard more about it. Or perhaps it's brand new. Why not
    > > e-mail him and ask some questions (like why isn't he advertising this a
    bit more widely!).
    > > --
    > > Jeff Richards
    > > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > > This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
    > > Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
    > > that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs
    are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.

    > > The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to
    provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB
    > > without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator
    which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard.
    > > The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for
    hard drives larger than 137GB.
    > > NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.
    > > --
    > > mae
    > >
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > | I cannot seem to get to that site. What is the "fix" there?
    > > | --
    > > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > |
    > > | "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    That is exactly the model I have installed.

    > Duradan wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
    from
    > > this guy
    > > http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > > Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
    >
    > I've not seen that software yet - and congrats to Mr. Loew for doing that.
    >
    > However, using a modern controller card with its exceptional advantaged
    > qualifications is the ultimate way to do it, period! ..all else
    comparatively
    > is limited.
    >
    > Continuing from my reply to your earlier post and now to this one Duradan,
    > using any modern Controller card which takes care of not only that 9x
    127GB
    > limitation issue, but it also inherently gives the extra remarkable
    advantage
    > of increasing overall system performance dramatically, even much better
    than
    > any AA (application accelerator) which is intel proprietary anyway not to
    > mention its other software based limitations; whereas the controller card
    has
    > no such limitations whatsoever and besides covers all brand motherboards.
    > controller card also gives the advantage of having extra dual primary
    ports
    > with that wonderful convenience as well.
    >
    > I would not own a desktop computer that does not use a controller card,
    not
    > only just for W9x usage but for W2000/WXP also where those show and
    overall
    > system performance increase using it as well.
    >
    > It's a no-brainer, and for those who have one and have compared the
    > differences with and without it - know what I'm talking about.
    > It's especially noticeable when using todays fast modern motherboards and
    > processors and run 9x - you have no idea what you are missing. Even works
    > well for those with old mb's and processors too.
    >
    > Here's a link with some screenshots of it:
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album
    > ..here's just one of many places you can buy it:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-007&depa=0
    > ..but of course buy it wherever you want - but without question be sure
    it's
    > a Promise ULTRA133 TX2 model because it's the best & includes the latest
    > mods.
    >
    > Rick

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thank you Ron. What we need now is a programer who can build a defragger and
    diskchecker for Win98/ME that will work on large partitions over the 128GB
    barrier. Couple that with Robert Leow's Win98 LBA 48-bit fix and and we can
    get around the coming large hard drive sized forced migration to new
    software.

    > "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    the
    > >like before.
    > >Very interesting.
    > >Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    > >this guy
    > >http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    > >Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
    > >

    > The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
    > the larger hard drives.
    >
    > However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
    > limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
    > actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
    > of clusters on the drive.
    >
    > Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
    > million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
    > if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
    > clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
    > 129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.
    >
    > And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.
    >
    > (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
    > bytes.)
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Duradan wrote:
    > Thank you Ron. What we need now is a programer who can build a defragger
    and
    > diskchecker for Win98/ME that will work on large partitions over the 128GB
    > barrier.

    But that's not going to happen, in all probability.

    > Couple that with Robert Leow's Win98 LBA 48-bit fix and and we can
    > get around the coming large hard drive sized forced migration to new
    > software.
    >

    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    the
    >>> like before.
    >>> Very interesting.
    >>> Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available
    from
    >>> this guy
    >>> http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    >>> Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
    >>>

    >> The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
    >> the larger hard drives.
    >>
    >> However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
    >> limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
    >> actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
    >> of clusters on the drive.
    >>
    >> Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
    >> million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
    >> if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
    >> clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
    >> 129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.
    >>
    >> And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.
    >>
    >> (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
    >> bytes.)
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If your BIOS supports 48-bit LBA, then this Window's disk driver
    (which apparently replaces the original Win98 disk driver, ESDI_506.PDR,
    with its own) should have no issues, and you don't need the boot manager.
    I've never seen it before either, and can't really comment on how solid
    it is, or if it works as advertised.
    Let us know ;)

    Seeing the card enumerated on bootup, or seeing the card's own BIOS messages
    doesn't mean you have a DDO installed, and otoh doesn't mean you don't. If
    there is a DDO installed you should see a message immediatley after BIOS POST
    refering to it, such as "Press Ctrl to enter EZ-BIOS" (or similar)..There are
    other ways to check, but it's a pretty good bet that if your BIOS supports
    48-bit LBA, then there's no overlay.

    "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3oPNLxPFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > bit more widely!).
    >> > --
    >> > Jeff Richards
    >> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >> > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > This is what I saw there- only 2 -a conferencing and this patch:
    >> > Shareware and Demo Programs written by Rudolph Loew
    >> > that have been packaged for internet distribution. Many more programs
    > are available for the PC and Amiga Computers.
    >> >
    >> > The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to
    > provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB
    >> > without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator
    > which can only beused with an Intel chipset motherboard.
    >> > The patch installs support for the48-Bit addressing mode required for
    > hard drives larger than 137GB.
    >> > NOTE: Some Programs and Documentation report this limit as 128GB.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks for that info, mae. Apparently is *was* available at some time on WU, though
    not any longer. I am going to dig some more and see if I can find out "the rest of
    the story".
    --

    > WU installed on both 98/98se. Guess to correct the tilde or mistake?
    > itemID="ie60x.internetexplorer6x.ver_platform_win32_windows.4.10.x86.en.....
    > .com_microsoft.q823353_oe6_sp1.

    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU_5ee60d6c9b9464c7ddf332147ebd16f.exe
    > 2004-07-17 15:34:24 20:34:24 Success IUENGINE Local path
    > c:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
    > Successful Saturday, July 17, 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
    > Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) Web site
    > --
    > mae

    > means you
    > | have an OE update installed (Q823353) that is not for Win98, though it may
    > have been
    > | offerred for a brief period of time according to reports that I have not
    > confirmed.
    > | Outlook Express Update 823353 was not released for Win98/98SE/ME according
    > to this:
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx
    > | Read the FAQ section...it is not listed as "critical" for those systems,
    > so the
    > | update was not released for them.
    > | --
    > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message
    [...]
    >> I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how he
    >> got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking up
    [...]

    > :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that way on
    > another machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then uninstalled
    > it here. The update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE machines, though
    > it probably isn't a good idea to go installing patches that weren't tested
    > on that OS. What I am curious about is how PCR got it.....the way you
    > describe, or through Windows Update. I have heard it was briefly available
    > for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows Update myself. Did you?

    No actually I never saw it available at WU and only installed it yesterday
    when I saw PCR's post and was trying to figure out how I missed that OE
    Cumulative update myself, and so had did a little research and found it and
    thought I had just missed it somehow and so installed it. In the meantime
    while I was doing that you posted about it which I never saw your post till I
    already had my email typed and so just sent it anyway adding onto to it what
    I did; otherwise I wouldn't have posted if I had saw yours first before I did
    all that.

    I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step out of
    the box to often otherwise.

    I wonder if it's actually okay to have this installed that now on my pc, I
    suspect it really is okay, but now the big question I do wonder why they
    pulled it from WU where I see now mae got it. Anyway, please do tell us tell
    us when you find out k. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever let your MS
    channels know about the IE6SP1 delete hang? ..and what they said about it?

    Thanks
    Rick

    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >> >

    >> > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Duradan wrote:
    > Thank you Ron. What we need now is a programer who can build a defragger
    > and diskchecker for Win98/ME that will work on large partitions over the
    > 128GB barrier. Couple that with Robert Leow's Win98 LBA 48-bit fix and and
    > we can get around the coming large hard drive sized forced migration to new
    > software.

    Glad to see you got the newest controller for this.

    Honestly, just making the an extra partitions is so easy and makes for good
    order on the Storage partitions anyway. Have one for backup of partition
    images I keep that one @ 121 GB, and one for other storage like software,
    music, video, etc is the same, etc... OS partitions of course are lean and
    mean.

    It's so easy to get around this scandisk/defragger issue and I'd put
    my effort in getting a few of the other things fixed that really needs
    it - like... <g> ..well we won't go there here.

    Rick

    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Duradan" <duradan428@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Fascinating how this works, using OE to post. I've never used usenet or
    >> >the like before.
    >> >Very interesting.
    >> >Thanks for the info, I expect I will try the program 'fix' available from
    >> >this guy
    >> >http://members.aol.com/rloew1/
    >> >Anyone think it might be worth the ten bucks?
    >> >

    >> The 48 bit lba patch may work in terms of allowing the computer to use
    >> the larger hard drives.
    >>
    >> However this is not going to do anything whatever about the
    >> limitations of Scandisk and Defrag which are *not* related to the
    >> actual size of the drive or partition but rather to the total number
    >> of clusters on the drive.
    >>
    >> Scandisk and Defrag will not work on a drive with more than 4.1
    >> million total clusters. This will happen on a drive as small as 17 gb
    >> if it uses a 4k cluster size, on drives 33 gb or larger with 8k
    >> clusters, on drives 65 gb or larger with 16k clusters, or on drives
    >> 129 gb or larger with 32k clusters.
    >>
    >> And 32k is the largest possible cluster size for FAT32 drives.
    >>
    >> (Note - all of the above figures are based on binary gigabytes = 2^30
    >> bytes.)
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Chauvin, I see your post's Properties now match mine, instead of Glee's.
    So, he was right what was responsible for that. Glee, Chauvin is right
    that I do not normally take updates except from Windows Update. I do
    know once I did take a MSHTML.dll offered by Dundat from an URL.
    (Finally, I did uninstall that one, though.)

    I thought I MIGHT have taken Q823353 possibly from the URL Chauvin
    posts, but it would have been Bear who suggested it to me. I do not see
    it in my download of criticals from the Windows Update Catalog. Usually,
    I take everything into there, although I do the actual install at the
    site.

    HOWEVER... here it is in "Windows Update.log"...

    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU_5ee60d6c9b9464c7ddf332147ebd16f.exe
    2004-07-13 23:45:55 03:45:55 Success IUENGINE Local path
    f:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
    2004-07-13 23:46:29 03:46:29 Success IUENGINE Downloaded file

    SO, I GUESS I had to have gotten it from there. (But if Bear should ever
    say he gave it to me, I'll go with that too!)

    --
> [...]
    other dll's
    | > date changed by 3 months but the file size is identical and haven't
    bothered
    | > looking at the dlll versions to compare those yet etc......
    | > ..well no biggy mostlikely.
    |
    | :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that
    way on another
    | machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then uninstalled it
    here. The
    | update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE machines, though it
    probably isn't a
    | good idea to go installing patches that weren't tested on that OS.
    What I am
    | curious about is how PCR got it.....the way you describe, or through
    Windows Update.
    | I have heard it was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR wrote:
    > Chauvin, I see your post's Properties now match mine, instead of Glee's.

    :)

    > So, he was right what was responsible for that. Glee, Chauvin is right
    > that I do not normally take updates except from Windows Update. I do
    > know once I did take a MSHTML.dll offered by Dundat from an URL.
    > (Finally, I did uninstall that one, though.)

    I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly appropriate in the
    long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.

    > I thought I MIGHT have taken Q823353 possibly from the URL Chauvin
    > posts, but it would have been Bear who suggested it to me. I do not see
    > it in my download of criticals from the Windows Update Catalog. Usually,
    > I take everything into there, although I do the actual install at the
    > site.
    >
    > HOWEVER... here it is in "Windows Update.log"...

    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU_5ee60d6c9b9464c7ddf332147ebd16f.exe

    Yep, proof positive then you got it from WU.

    Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another listing
    in your IE about box:
    MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-020.mspx

    This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
    Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5 others.

    Rick

    > 2004-07-13 23:45:55 03:45:55 Success IUENGINE Local path
    > f:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
    > 2004-07-13 23:46:29 03:46:29 Success IUENGINE Downloaded file
    >
    > SO, I GUESS I had to have gotten it from there. (But if Bear should ever
    > say he gave it to me, I'll go with that too!)
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >| >
    >| > I was just looking at that myself ! ..and was trying to figure out how
    >| > he got that. There is no place in WU that offered me that, but looking
    >| > up his listings I found what he did which was to install:
    >| > MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13, 2004
    >| > Where WU for 9x only offers:
    >| > MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
    >| > ...so I went after what he had here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD6A96BC-DAF0-4EAB-89B8-BD702B3E3E5D&displaylang=en
    >| > ..downloaded and installed it just fine to check it out ...and then
    >| > went back to scour over the
    >| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-018.mspx
    >| > ..and do see it says in the beginning and in FAQ that W98 is affected
    >| > but I guess they just didn't get a chance yet to put the download link
    >| > there, or like I see you have said maybe they pulled it ... oh well,
    >| > now I have it too - I can easily reverse it, the only thing it appears
    >| > it actually changes different is the Inetcomm.dll file size changed,
    >| > also a number of other dll's date changed by 3 months but the file size
    >| > is identical and haven't bothered looking at the dlll versions to
    >| > compare those yet etc...... ..well no biggy mostlikely.
    >|
    >| :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that way
    >| on another machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then
    >| uninstalled it here. The update does seem to work fine on my Win98SE
    >| machines, though it probably isn't a good idea to go installing patches
    >| that weren't tested on that OS. What I am curious about is how PCR got
    >| it.....the way you describe, or through Windows Update. I have heard it
    >| was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows Update
    >| myself. Did you? --
    >| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    >| > >> |

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, the cumulatives do NOT clean up the IE About box. I have seen in
    the Registry where those items are listed...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings
    MinorVersion
    ";SP1;q313829;Q328970;Q328389;Q324929;Q810847;Q813951;Q816506;Q813489;Q3
    30994;Q818529;Q822925;Q828750;Q824145;Q832894;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q8
    67801;Q833989;Q834707;Q889293;Q867282;Q891781;Q890923;"

    ...., & some day Imay delete the ones that have disappeared from the
    Add/Remove box...

    | > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    | > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    | > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)

    Surely, yours weren't automatically removed from the About box? Odd, NOW
    I see the first two I go looking for are still marked installed. I guess
    it's a protection against taking an earlier cumulative that might
    over-write newer files. Yours isn't like this?

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{839117ee-2132-4bae-a56a-42b50204c9b9}]
    @="Q889293"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Version"="6,0,2800,1606"
    "ComponentID"="Q889293"

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{3e7bb08a-a7a3-4692-8eac-ac5e7895755b}]
    @="Q834707"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Version"="6,0,2800,1584"
    "ComponentID"="Q834707"

    --
> [...]
    | > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    | > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    | > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    | > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    | > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    | > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    | > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    | > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    | > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    | > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | >| ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the
    critical
    | >| updates for IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR wrote:

    [...]

    > Surely, yours weren't automatically removed from the About box?

    No it doesn't, I didn't mean that (i wish it did) ..but you would have to
    edit that manually from that MinorVersion key you pointed out, which btw is
    only for the about box esthetics and afaik is not accessed with any
    functionality or protection as you inquired. I just wished they cleaned that
    up with each install since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc. Oh
    well no big deal but if mine looked as busy as yours does I would give it an
    edit for sure, i think, or just never pay attention or refer to it as a
    reality which I don't anyway. My IE6 about box only has a few entries
    because I never decided to install IE6 on my 9x partition until recently
    where I had always run the latest IE5.5SP2 because of you know why <g> ..and
    so when decided to finally get out of the 5.5SP2 age installing IE6SP1
    recently I only had to do the latest cumulative and 1 or 2 other SU's.

    nite..

    Rick
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I thought "Windows Update.log" might prove it.

    | I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly appropriate
    in the
    | long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.

    Well, for a while I was getting a crash to the IE Error Report Tool,
    upon clicking to exit my last open IE instance. BUT I certainly couldn't
    pin it on Q823353 forgetful of dates/etc. as I am, & I haven't seen such
    a crash in a long, long, time now-- with it still installed. Let me know
    how it goes.

    | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another
    listing
    | in your IE about box:
    | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-020.mspx
    |
    | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
    | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
    others.

    Uhuh, here is Wininit.ini, after taking the new IE cumulative (& the
    fixed KB891711) from Windows Update, but before a reboot. (I doubt any
    of this is from KB891711, which is sitting again CHECKED in MSConfig.)
    Now, I have been bumped off the NET (by NetZero I guess), & soon will do
    that reboot, with trepidation.

    [Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

    --
> [...]
    | >|

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD6A96BC-DAF0-4EAB-89B8-BD702B3E3E5D&displaylang=en
    | >|
    | >| :-) Yes, I know how he could have gotten it, because I got it that
    way
    | >| on another machine, and also had it on this one for a while, then
    | >| uninstalled it here. The update does seem to work fine on my
    Win98SE
    | >| machines, though it probably isn't a good idea to go installing
    patches
    | >| that weren't tested on that OS. What I am curious about is how PCR
    got
    | >| it.....the way you describe, or through Windows Update. I have
    heard it
    | >| was briefly available for Win98, but I never saw it at Windows

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | I just wished they cleaned that up with each install
    | since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc.

    You may have one too many an "etc." there, as they also haven't removed
    the "IsInstalled" Registry keys, as I posted earlier...

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{839117ee-2132-4bae-a56a-42b50204c9b9}]
    @="Q889293"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Version"="6,0,2800,1606"
    "ComponentID"="Q889293"

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{3e7bb08a-a7a3-4692-8eac-ac5e7895755b}]
    @="Q834707"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Version"="6,0,2800,1584"
    "ComponentID"="Q834707"

    I guess I'll leave my post as is, but would have decided otherwise had
    they deleted these keys & the others like them. Here it is, updated
    after taking the new cumulative Q890923 & now having reboot.

    BY THE WAY, KB891711 is now working. It doesn't show at Ctrl-Alt-Del,
    but is at "MSInfo32, Software Environment, Running Tasks"...

    KB891711.EXE 4.10.2223 Microsoft Corporation Windows KB891711 component
    c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE 3.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R)
    Operating System

    (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    Q891781, & Q890923.

    (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

    Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    Windows 98 TELNET

    (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

    (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    (2) Internet Explorer Q890923
    (was Q891781, Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894,

    | PCR wrote:
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | > Surely, yours weren't automatically removed from the About box?
    |
    | No it doesn't, I didn't mean that (i wish it did) ..but you would have
    | edit that manually from that MinorVersion key you pointed out, which
    btw is
    | only for the about box esthetics and afaik is not accessed with any
    | functionality or protection as you inquired. I just wished they
    cleaned that
    | up with each install since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc,
    etc. Oh
    | well no big deal but if mine looked as busy as yours does I would give
    it an
    | edit for sure, i think, or just never pay attention or refer to it as
    | reality which I don't anyway. My IE6 about box only has a few entries
    | because I never decided to install IE6 on my 9x partition until
    recently
    | where I had always run the latest IE5.5SP2 because of you know why <g>
    ...and
    | so when decided to finally get out of the 5.5SP2 age installing IE6SP1
    | recently I only had to do the latest cumulative and 1 or 2 other SU's.
    |
    | nite..
    |
    | Rick

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I thought "Windows Update.log" might prove it.
    >
    > | I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly appropriate
    > in the
    > | long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.
    >
    > Well, for a while I was getting a crash to the IE Error Report Tool,
    > upon clicking to exit my last open IE instance. BUT I certainly couldn't
    > pin it on Q823353 forgetful of dates/etc. as I am, & I haven't seen such
    > a crash in a long, long, time now-- with it still installed. Let me know
    > how it goes.

    This is interesting, because I had installed the 823353 update here in January, from
    the download site that does not list it for Win9x (I installed the version they list
    for WinNT...same files are installed), and shortly after that I began getting
    crashes when closing my last instance of IE, also. The only changes I could think
    of that coincided with this occurrence were the update, and an update to my A-V that
    added a web-scan module. I uninstalled the 823353 update, but still got the IE
    crashes periodically when closing the last instance. I disabled the web scanning
    A-V module entirely, and I still sometimes get the crashes, so I am unable at this
    point to determine what suddenly started the crashes. Additionally, I can't see why
    an update to OE files would cause IE crashes but not OE crashes.

    > | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another
    > listing
    > | in your IE about box:
    > | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-020.mspx
    > |
    > | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
    > | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
    > others.

    Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file has any effect
    on the "mass delete freeze" bug.

    --
> [...]

    > | Yep, proof positive then you got it from WU.
    > |
    > | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet another
    > listing
    > | in your IE about box:
    > | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-020.mspx
    > |
    > | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
    > | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
    > others.
    > |
    > | Rick
    > |

    > | > 2004-07-13 23:45:55 03:45:55 Success IUENGINE Local path
    > | >
    > f:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.Q823353_OE6_SP1\IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe
    > | > 2004-07-13 23:46:29 03:46:29 Success IUENGINE Downloaded
    > file
    > | >
    > | > SO, I GUESS I had to have gotten it from there. (But if Bear should
    > ever
    > | > say he gave it to me, I'll go with that too!)

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > glee wrote:
    > > "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message
    >
    > No actually I never saw it available at WU and only installed it yesterday
    > when I saw PCR's post and was trying to figure out how I missed that OE
    > Cumulative update myself, and so had did a little research and found it and
    > thought I had just missed it somehow and so installed it. In the meantime
    > while I was doing that you posted about it which I never saw your post till I
    > already had my email typed and so just sent it anyway adding onto to it what
    > I did; otherwise I wouldn't have posted if I had saw yours first before I did
    > all that.

    I had installed it that way also, and then uninstalled it as part of t-shooting an
    IE crash problem....see my reply to PCR. I don't think it was responsible for the
    IE crash, BTW.

    > I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step out of
    > the box to often otherwise.

    He concurs....although with PCR, it may be that they don't *let* him out of the box
    too often... ;-)

    > I wonder if it's actually okay to have this installed that now on my pc, I
    > suspect it really is okay, but now the big question I do wonder why they
    > pulled it from WU where I see now mae got it. Anyway, please do tell us tell
    > us when you find out k. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever let your MS
    > channels know about the IE6SP1 delete hang? ..and what they said about it?

    I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere. As for the IE6 hang/freeze with mass
    deletes, I have not done anything formal with it yet, as I *thought* Chris Quirke
    was following up on that, but I am now not sure that he has....so I may have to
    instead. Chris made a web page on the issue and I believe he gave the page link to
    *someone* in the loop with MS, but I dunno if that got where it needs to go. I
    would not expect any sort of resolution on the issue from MS however, at this late
    date in the support cycle. I will let you know what/if I find out.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | > I thought "Windows Update.log" might prove it.
    | >
    | > | I may just leave it since I suspect it's fine, and prolly
    appropriate
    | > in the
    | > | long run too. It's easy to reverse in totality.
    | >
    | > Well, for a while I was getting a crash to the IE Error Report Tool,
    | > upon clicking to exit my last open IE instance. BUT I certainly
    couldn't
    | > pin it on Q823353 forgetful of dates/etc. as I am, & I haven't seen
    such
    | > a crash in a long, long, time now-- with it still installed. Let me
    know
    | > how it goes.
    |
    | This is interesting, because I had installed the 823353 update here in
    January, from
    | the download site that does not list it for Win9x (I installed the
    version they list
    | for WinNT...same files are installed), and shortly after that I began
    getting
    | crashes when closing my last instance of IE, also. The only changes I
    could think
    | of that coincided with this occurrence were the update, and an update
    to my A-V that
    | added a web-scan module. I uninstalled the 823353 update, but still
    got the IE
    | crashes periodically when closing the last instance. I disabled the
    web scanning
    | A-V module entirely, and I still sometimes get the crashes, so I am
    unable at this
    | point to determine what suddenly started the crashes. Additionally, I
    can't see why
    | an update to OE files would cause IE crashes but not OE crashes.

    Only once, the Error Report Tool said it was McAfee at fault. But, I
    still have McAfee & Q823353, & not a crash in quite some time. I even
    run it with Auto-System Scan turned on again. Those crashed always went
    to the Error Report Tool, unfortunately, & never to DrWatson. NOW, I
    begin to recall, there were times the Tool went batty, & instance after
    instance of DW15.exe began to multiply in Ctrl-Alt-Del. But it didn't
    always happen that way. Looking now in DW.log, I see...

    ........Quote DW.log.........
    09:32 PM 6/2/04Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
    offset 11c06286
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Bucket: 22775952
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
    offset 11c06286
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
    offset 11c06286
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Application Failure iexplore.exe 6.0.2800.1106 in unknown 0.0.0.0 at
    offset 11c06286
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    ....snip of a ton more of that...
    ........EOQ.....................

    But I find it hard to believe it was quite that long ago I saw the
    crash. It's possible I put that date in there myself with Notepad &
    forgot to update it at each crash.

    | > | Hey, don't blink, but you are going to end up cluttering yet
    another
    | > listing
    | > | in your IE about box:
    | > | MS05-020, 890923, Cumulative for IE, April 12, 2005
    | > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-020.mspx
    | > |
    | > | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
    | > | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
    | > others.
    |
    | Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file
    has any effect
    | on the "mass delete freeze" bug.

    I thought of that too, but forgot to do it before getting online again.
    Well, OK, let me do it right now, even online, OE open at this post, &
    with McAfee in full force...

    F:\My Documents>dir /a /s
    ....snip...
    Total files listed:
    657 file(s) 3,713,282 bytes
    32 dir(s) 7,525.63 MB free

    That is a backup on F:\. Deleting THAT in Explorer normally will get me
    to a "Low Resources" warning & the rest of it.

    Nope, not fixed! I got the warning, although Resource Meter shows
    acceptable levels. Also, there was a slight delay with Explorer
    refreshing it's display afterwards. And, restoring the F:\My Documents
    afterwards had a similar effect, uh...

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
    ....Quote......
    Once problem starts, all file operations in that session affected
    - impossible to do any renames, deletes, New Folder creation
    - new Explorer.exe windows affected, old ones OK at first
    ....snip...
    The target window stops responding, and during this time:
    - no part of the window is repainted
    ....EOQ........

    Although, fine, it's not IMPOSSIBLE, just fairly ugly.

    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    |

    | > Uhuh, here is Wininit.ini, after taking the new IE cumulative (& the
    | > fixed KB891711) from Windows Update, but before a reboot. (I doubt
    any
    | > of this is from KB891711, which is sitting again CHECKED in
    MSConfig.)
    | > Now, I have been bumped off the NET (by NetZero I guess), & soon
    will do
    | > that reboot, with trepidation.
    | >
    | > [Rename]
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61C5.TMP
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEPEERS.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D0.TMP
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D1.TMP
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D3.TMP
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D4.TMP
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URLMON.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D5.TMP
    | > NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
    | > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SET61D6.TMP

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    ....snip
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ....snip

    | > I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step
    out of
    | > the box to often otherwise.
    |
    | He concurs....although with PCR, it may be that they don't *let* him
    out of the box
    | too often... ;-)
    ....snip

    I heard that! Don't give "them" any ideas!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Here we go again! <smile>

    "PCR" wrote:

    > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked Kb891711...

    > (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    > SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    > Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    > Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    > & 891781.
    >
    > (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    > or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
    >
    > Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    > Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    > SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    > W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    > Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    > W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    > Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    > Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    > Windows 98 TELNET
    >
    > (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
    >
    > (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    > (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    > (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    > (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    > (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    > (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
    > updates for
    > | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
    > | --
    > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > |
    > | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > OT: Your headers ("Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    > 6.00.2800.1409")
    > | > tell me you need to visit Windows Update ASAP. You're running much
    > | > less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows, Duradan.
    > | > --
    > | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > | > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
    > | >
    > | > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    > | >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    > usenet or
    > available from

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9f5a95a5-3969-4c9d-9049-b95ad2bb5b2a&DisplayLang=en

    (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)

    IB

    "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:uiEKA3tPFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    > > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    > > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    > > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    > > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    > > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    > > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    > > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    > > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    > > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the critical
    > > updates for
    > > | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I thought I would let you know that Ivan is a great name. My dad is named
    Ivan and the CEO of Verizon is also an Ivan. Have a great day, all three
    Ivans. <grin>

    "Ivan Bútora" wrote:

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
    > > >
    > > > (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    > > > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    > > > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    > > > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    > > > (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    > > > (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    > > > (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    > > > (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    > > > (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    > > > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    > > > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    > > > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    > > > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    > > > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    > > > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    > > > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    > > > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    > > > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    > > > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> glee wrote:
    >> > "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message
    >>
    >> No actually I never saw it available at WU and only installed it yesterday
    >> when I saw PCR's post and was trying to figure out how I missed that OE
    >> Cumulative update myself, and so had did a little research and found it
    >> and thought I had just missed it somehow and so installed it. In the
    >> meantime while I was doing that you posted about it which I never saw
    >> your post till I already had my email typed and so just sent it anyway
    >> adding onto to it what I did; otherwise I wouldn't have posted if I had
    >> saw yours first before I did all that.
    >
    > I had installed it that way also, and then uninstalled it as part of
    > t-shooting an IE crash problem....see my reply to PCR. I don't think it
    > was responsible for the IE crash, BTW.

    Okay thanks for the info.

    >> I suspect PCR got it from WU because as a rule he is not one to step out
    >> of the box to often otherwise.
    >
    > He concurs....although with PCR, it may be that they don't *let* him out
    > of the box too often... ;-)

    <smile>

    >> I wonder if it's actually okay to have this installed that now on my pc, I
    >> suspect it really is okay, but now the big question I do wonder why they
    >> pulled it from WU where I see now mae got it. Anyway, please do tell us
    >> tell us when you find out k. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever let
    >> your MS channels know about the IE6SP1 delete hang? ..and what they said
    >> about it?
    >>

    > I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere. As for the IE6 hang/freeze with
    > mass deletes, I have not done anything formal with it yet, as I *thought*
    > Chris Quirke was following up on that, but I am now not sure that he
    > has....so I may have to instead. Chris made a web page on the issue and I
    > believe he gave the page link to *someone* in the loop with MS, but I
    > dunno if that got where it needs to go. I would not expect any sort of
    > resolution on the issue from MS however, at this late date in the support
    > cycle. I will let you know what/if I find out. --

    Okay thank you, yes please do let me/us know on both counts.

    I'm just going to leave the MS04-018, 823353, Cumulative for OE, July 13,
    2004 installed because observing the install changes made everything looks
    and feels appropriate anyway.

    As for the IE6 del/hang, yes Chris said he did pass it along, but of course
    with other MVP's sending in a little ditty reporting the same issue and
    pointing to Chris's page too - well, the squeaky wheel may just get the
    grease. Yes I do ..Well.. realize it's late in the game with 98x, but still
    it would be a good thing to get this one solved too - heck, it can be even
    slipped in the next IE Cumulative since after all even the latest cumulative
    yesterday replaced the browseui.dll

    I was really really glad to see you tested and proved it out that day.

    It's really easy to make and save a test delete folder to use.
    If we had a few more MVP's that use and support 9x in this group do that and
    see it's a pesky problem and send in a quick note about it, well, in some way
    it could just get fixed.

    Thanks Glen,
    Rick

    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:

    [...]

    >> | This must be the 5th or 6th cumulative in the last few months.
    >> | Hey they even replaced the browseui.dll again <g> along with 5
    >> others.
    >
    > Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file has
    > any effect on the "mass delete freeze" bug.

    I wish it was true, but no, and as PCR said it's still the same.

    It only took me 10 seconds to prove it. ..and then a reboot.

    It's easy to pre-create and save a test folder for testing this at any future
    moment. I just keep 1550 little files in a test folder, but at any moment
    'select all' files inside the folder and delete - then as it finishes the
    deleting.. ..bingo.

    Each time I've tested it over the last few years I kept deleting 50 less
    files less each time to see where the threshold was, and finally got it down
    to realizing that if I delete 1400 files it doesn't do it - but If I delete
    1550 files it does it every single time I do it (so the threshold number is
    somewhere in in-between 1400-1550) However as been said before and is
    Certainly true occasionally just deleting 1 file or some simple task will set
    it off as well. But again for me, each and every time a 1550 block of files
    is deleted it will happen.

    Rick

    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR wrote:
    >| I just wished they cleaned that up with each install
    >| since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc.
    >
    > You may have one too many an "etc." there, as they also haven't removed
    > the "IsInstalled" Registry keys, as I posted earlier...

    [...]

    Yes I had seen that too, but I would leave those alone and didn't mention it
    because they are harmless and I didn't want to spend the time to determine if
    it really mattered if I removed them - at that moment I was more
    concentrating with the cleanup of the apparent non-functional IE About Box
    listings being for esthetic view only.

    It's a p.i.t.a though to have to go around paying attention to mundane clean
    up where I wish they had done that, but no big deal and I'm just going to
    leave it and concentrate on nicer things than that ...like spending more
    time with my wife instead of the computer as she tells me.
    ...it's hard though - I do love them both. :)

    Rick
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ivan Bútora wrote:
    > Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9f5a95a5-3969-4c9d-9049-b95ad2bb5b2a&DisplayLang=en

    > (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
    >
    > IB

    Nice catch Ivan!
    I've not seen this one yet

    Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
    install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
    ..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K & XP

    It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before, and what
    you have to do after you install it:

    <quotes>
    Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
    site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This security
    update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
    After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for
    Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you want. To
    do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after each
    symptom description.
    <big snips>
    <end of quotes>

    I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.

    But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of which
    affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen since they
    want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install this
    update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is incomplete
    since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear and clean
    'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine the next OE
    Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just wait for that
    one.

    Rick
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Right, Windows Update should be more neat, & your wife should get 50% of
    your time. It's odd, before the fixed KB891711 came out, there were
    reports the OLD one was not offered to those who had uninstalled it.
    Uninstalling it removed it's "IsInstalled" Key, but left behind an empty
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711 folder. (The NEW one I know didn't care
    whether anything of the old was there/not.)

    So, I'm sure you are right, but really one never really knows what that
    site is checking. Let me look at it again...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings
    MinorVersion
    ";SP1;q313829;Q328970;Q328389;Q324929;Q810847;Q813951;Q816506;Q813489;Q3
    30994;Q818529;Q822925;Q828750;Q824145;Q832894;Q837009;Q831167;Q823353;Q8
    67801;Q833989;Q834707;Q889293;Q867282;Q891781;Q890923;"

    Who knows? Maybe it will soon blow up of it's own accord! STILL, I'm
    probably better off with this than with an angry wife!

    --
    | PCR wrote:
    | >| I just wished they cleaned that up with each install
    | >| since they clear out the previous Q..inf, etc, etc.
    | >
    | > You may have one too many an "etc." there, as they also haven't
    removed
    | > the "IsInstalled" Registry keys, as I posted earlier...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Yes I had seen that too, but I would leave those alone and didn't
    mention it
    | because they are harmless and I didn't want to spend the time to
    determine if
    | it really mattered if I removed them - at that moment I was more
    | concentrating with the cleanup of the apparent non-functional IE About
    Box
    | listings being for esthetic view only.
    |
    | It's a p.i.t.a though to have to go around paying attention to mundane
    clean
    | up where I wish they had done that, but no big deal and I'm just going
    | leave it and concentrate on nicer things than that ...like spending
    more
    | time with my wife instead of the computer as she tells me.
    | ..it's hard though - I do love them both. :)
    |
    | Rick

  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    It was Q823353.

    --
    | Here we go again! <smile>
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > I am Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated, but with an unchecked
    Kb891711...

    | > (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    | > SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    | > Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    | > Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293,
    Q867282,
    | > & 891781.
    | >
    | > (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software
    Updates",
    | > or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:
    | >
    | > Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    | > Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    | > SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    | > W98: KB891711, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172, Q323255,
    | > Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    | > W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017,
    Q273991
    | > Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    | > Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    | > Windows 98 TELNET
    | >
    | > (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":
    | >
    | > (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    | > (2) Internet Explorer Q891781
    | > (was Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167, Q832894, Q824145,
    | > Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    | > (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    | > (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    | > (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    | > (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    | > (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    | > (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    | > (9) MSN Messenger 4.5.
    | > (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    | > (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    | > (12) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    | > (13) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    | > (14) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    | > (15) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    | > (16) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    | > (17) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | > | ??? That's what my headers show too, Bear, and I have all the
    critical
    | > updates for
    | > | IE and OE installed. This is Win98, remember?
    | > | --
    | > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    | > |
    | > | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > 6.00.2800.1409")

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    | > usenet or
    | > available from

    | > |

  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, the whole thing doesn't make sense to me at this point, Rick. 823353 is a
    prerequisite for 887797, and 887797 is a valid update for Win98 users; yet, its
    prerequisite 823353 is being said to be *not* for Win98. <grrr> Time to talk to
    someone at MS, I think......
    --

    > Ivan Bútora wrote:
    > > Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9f5a95a5-3969-4c9d-9049-b95ad2bb5b2a&DisplayLang=en

    > > (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
    > >
    > > IB
    >
    > Nice catch Ivan!
    > I've not seen this one yet
    >
    > Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
    > install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
    > ..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K & XP
    >
    > It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before, and what
    > you have to do after you install it:
    >
    > <quotes>
    > Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
    > site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This security
    > update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    > 823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
    > After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for
    > Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you want. To
    > do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after each
    > symptom description.
    > <big snips>
    > <end of quotes>
    >
    > I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.
    >
    > But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of which
    > affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen since they
    > want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install this
    > update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is incomplete
    > since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear and clean
    > 'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine the next OE
    > Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just wait for that
    > one.
    >
    > Rick

  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > glee wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    > >> others.
    > >
    > > Now might be a good time to test and see if the new browseui.dll file has
    > > any effect on the "mass delete freeze" bug.
    >

    > I wish it was true, but no, and as PCR said it's still the same.
    >
    > It only took me 10 seconds to prove it. ..and then a reboot.
    >
    > It's easy to pre-create and save a test folder for testing this at any future
    > moment. I just keep 1550 little files in a test folder, but at any moment
    > 'select all' files inside the folder and delete - then as it finishes the
    > deleting.. ..bingo.
    >
    > Each time I've tested it over the last few years I kept deleting 50 less
    > files less each time to see where the threshold was, and finally got it down
    > to realizing that if I delete 1400 files it doesn't do it - but If I delete
    > 1550 files it does it every single time I do it (so the threshold number is
    > somewhere in in-between 1400-1550) However as been said before and is
    > Certainly true occasionally just deleting 1 file or some simple task will set
    > it off as well. But again for me, each and every time a 1550 block of files
    > is deleted it will happen.

    That is pretty much the same range where it hit me here also, during my recent
    testing. Only diff I have found on this system is that Explorer does not ever
    recover, even if I wait 15 minutes.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I would like to see 887797 offered at Windows Update even for just one
    hour before I take it! I'm not sure I have any of the symptoms of which
    it speaks, & there appears to be rigmarole involved in activating it.

    --
> [...]
    | > symptom description.
    | > <big snips>
    | > <end of quotes>
    | >
    | > I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.
    | >
    | > But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of
    which
    | > affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen
    since they
    | > want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install
    this
    | > update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is
    incomplete
    | > since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear and
    clean
    | > 'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine the
    next OE
    | > Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just wait for

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > Well, the whole thing doesn't make sense to me at this point, Rick.
    > 823353 is a prerequisite for 887797, and 887797 is a valid update for
    > Win98 users; yet, its prerequisite 823353 is being said to be *not* for
    > Win98. <grrr> Time to talk to someone at MS, I think......
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    I know it, they all gots so many complicated instances being put in the pot
    all at once and where everything affects everything else, but hopefully the
    project workers are set up so that it's the 'same consistent' teams with who
    works on what. You can imagine coding and keeping track of sooo many
    variables with so many different affected software's is quite an incredible
    task and human error comes more into play. It must be frustrating for you
    MVP's haing to deal with the end user on the mistakes..

    Rick

    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> Ivan Bútora wrote:
    >> > Also, cumulative update 887797 for OE is available here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9f5a95a5-3969-4c9d-9049-b95ad2bb5b2a&DisplayLang=en

    >> > (although this is a collection of non-security fixes apparently)
    >> >
    >> > IB
    >>
    >> Nice catch Ivan!
    >> I've not seen this one yet
    >>
    >> Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
    >> install files Digital Signature October, 15, 2004
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
    >> ..and the download is at your link for 9x, other links for 2K & XP
    >>
    >> It's interesting to note though what they say what you need before, and
    >> what you have to do after you install it:
    >>
    >> <quotes>
    >> Note Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
    >> site, you must install cumulative security update 823353. This security
    >> update is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    >> 823353 MS04-018: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
    >> After you have installed the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for
    >> Windows XP (KB887797), you must enable each particular fix that you want.
    >> To do this, follow the steps in the "Resolution Number" section after each
    >> symptom description.
    >> <big snips>
    >> <end of quotes>
    >>
    >> I'll have to read it later when I get a longer chance.
    >>
    >> But it looks like all the issues are for specific situations none of which
    >> affect me or many that I could tell at first glance though. Glen since
    >> they want you to install that 823353 MS04-018 before you even install this
    >> update - I suspect they pulled 823353 from WU because initself is
    >> incomplete since this next update is in the works and it's not a clear
    >> and clean 'install and it's fixed' type of update. Surly I would imagine
    >> the next OE Cumulative with be all inclusive and I will mostlikely just
    >> wait for that one.
    >>
    >> Rick
  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    >> "Rick Chauvin" wrote in message

    [...]

    >> It's easy to pre-create and save a test folder for testing this at any
    >> future moment. I just keep 1550 little files in a test folder, but at
    >> any moment 'select all' files inside the folder and delete - then as it
    >> finishes the deleting.. ..bingo.
    >>
    >> Each time I've tested it over the last few years I kept deleting 50 less
    >> files less each time to see where the threshold was, and finally got it
    >> down to realizing that if I delete 1400 files it doesn't do it - but If I
    >> delete 1550 files it does it every single time I do it (so the threshold
    >> number is somewhere in in-between 1400-1550) However as been said
    >> before and is Certainly true occasionally just deleting 1 file or some
    >> simple task will set it off as well. But again for me, each and every
    >> time a 1550 block of files is deleted it will happen.

    > That is pretty much the same range where it hit me here also, during my
    > recent testing. Only diff I have found on this system is that Explorer
    > does not ever recover, even if I wait 15 minutes.

    Glen, you said 'only difference you have found....' but I'm not sure why you
    said that because there is no difference in anything I or anyone else has
    experienced either with Explorer, where Explorer 'never' recovers 'properly'
    no matter how long you wait unless you reboot. Once it happens to me these
    days I just automatically reboot right away to clear it.

    It's also good to know you noticed the same quantity range of files deleted
    which every time sets it off too.

    Rick

    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+