Win 98SE forced safe mode

My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then select
"normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried going
into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours away
from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
can carry out? thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about 98se forced safe mode

    See if anything here applies --

    Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=143283

    The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306615
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
    > start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then select
    > "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried going
    > into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours away
    > from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
    > can carry out? thanks.

    When my nephews did that, it was definately going into safe mode over and
    over. We couldn't find any conflicts or reason. We pulled the battery and
    power then toggled the power button and then plugged both back in as a last
    resort.
    It worked!
    Win98, you gotta love it!.

    "momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
    > start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then
    select
    > "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried
    going
    > into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours
    away
    > from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
    > can carry out? thanks.

    Are you sure it is in safe mode? For instance, does it actually say 'safe
    mode' in each corner of the screen? If not, it might simply be defaulting
    to a reduced display format, such as 640x480 16 colours, which looks very
    similar to safe mode. In that case she needs to change the display settings,
    or if they won't change she needs to confirm that the correct display
    adapter driver is installed.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
    > start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then
    > select
    > "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried
    > going
    > into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours
    > away
    > from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
    > can carry out? thanks.

    Start the laptop in "Command Prompt" and type the following two lines:

    find /i "bootsafe" c:\msdos.sys
    find /i "bootsafe" c:\winboot.ini

    If "BootSafe=1" is returned, the file involved will have to be edited. Please
    note that these files typically have the "Read-Only", "Hidden" and "System"
    attributes set.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306615

    Ben

    "momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98E16C23-4556-4CFD-8313-6B67B9E97358@microsoft.com...
    > My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
    > start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then select
    > "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried going
    > into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours away
    > from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
    > can carry out? thanks.

Laptops Safe Mode Microsoft Windows