Win 98SE forced safe mode

My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then select
"normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried going
into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours away
from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
can carry out? thanks.

See if anything here applies --

Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=143283

The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306615
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
> start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then select
> "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried going
> into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours away
> from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
> can carry out? thanks.

When my nephews did that, it was definately going into safe mode over and
over. We couldn't find any conflicts or reason. We pulled the battery and
power then toggled the power button and then plugged both back in as a last
resort.
It worked!
Win98, you gotta love it!.

"momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
> start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then
select
> "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried
going
> into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours
away
> from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
> can carry out? thanks.

Are you sure it is in safe mode? For instance, does it actually say 'safe
mode' in each corner of the screen? If not, it might simply be defaulting
to a reduced display format, such as 640x480 16 colours, which looks very
similar to safe mode. In that case she needs to change the display settings,
or if they won't change she needs to confirm that the correct display
adapter driver is installed.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"momof4" <momof4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My daughter's laptop (out of the blue she says) suddenly forces her to
> start-up in safe mode. I have had her hold down the F8 key and then
> select
> "normal" but the machine still starts in safe mode. She has also tried
> going
> into msconfig and restoring the back up but to no avail. She's 6 hours
> away
> from me and I'd like to get the machine up and running. Any advice that I
> can carry out? thanks.

Start the laptop in "Command Prompt" and type the following two lines:

find /i "bootsafe" c:\msdos.sys
find /i "bootsafe" c:\winboot.ini

If "BootSafe=1" is returned, the file involved will have to be edited. Please
note that these files typically have the "Read-Only", "Hidden" and "System"
attributes set.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306615

Ben