reinstalling 98 from a computer that had 95 with a 98 upgr..

I have XP and have reinstalled the OS a few times. with
minimal help from Dell

A friend of mine just took over a computer from someone
that has never had the OS reinstalled. 6 years old. It
is my understanding that it is good to do every once in a
while is that correct?

Anyway, how do I do it? She has the original 95
reinstall disk it came with, but I don't really know
abouut getting to dos, the boot mode thing, etc... what
do I do. Gateway emailed me instructioins, but that was
for 98. they failed to remember that I have 95 with a 98
upgrade. Would I reinstall 98 and 95 the same way?
(because I do need to do 95 first, right)

Also, with XP, there were a few things I needed to do
afterward, like install things like Java, Adobe, Media
players, codec, WINDOWS UPDATES. How do I know the
things that MUST be done after a reinstall.

thank you so much. Anyone that answers this or emails
me instructions would be greatly appreciated

Eric
5 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling computer upgr

    Badour once wrote...
    RETAIL UPGRADE INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
    can install it to a blank hard drive; however, when installing to a
    blank drive, install will ask to see the qualifying system (i.e., W95)
    disk(s).

    You want to do a FRESH Install? Are you pure Windows or OEM, such as
    Compaq? If you are OEM, then you can get back to factory condition by
    using their recovery CD, such as QuickRestore, which may contain
    proprietary drivers and add-ons. Otherwise...

    http://www.hexff.com/index.html How to Clean Install
    This first has it all, but..
    (a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
    (b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
    (c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
    available to install afterwards. Here...
    http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
    Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such that
    they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
    report.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
    How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

    "Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
    hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
    drive, but "hexff" says it better.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
    "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

    Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
    Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
    letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
    normal.)

    Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
    capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
    requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
    version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
    earlier CD.

    FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
    OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

    UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
    existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
    one is not installed.

    WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
    drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

    OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
    be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
    found on a retail CD.

    Be sure of your ProductKey...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

    (1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
    "Windows".
    (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

    That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
    down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
    or CD case.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "eric0668" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have XP and have reinstalled the OS a few times. with
    | minimal help from Dell
    |
    | A friend of mine just took over a computer from someone
    | that has never had the OS reinstalled. 6 years old. It
    | is my understanding that it is good to do every once in a
    | while is that correct?
    |
    | Anyway, how do I do it? She has the original 95
    | reinstall disk it came with, but I don't really know
    | abouut getting to dos, the boot mode thing, etc... what
    | do I do. Gateway emailed me instructioins, but that was
    | for 98. they failed to remember that I have 95 with a 98
    | upgrade. Would I reinstall 98 and 95 the same way?
    | (because I do need to do 95 first, right)
    |
    | Also, with XP, there were a few things I needed to do
    | afterward, like install things like Java, Adobe, Media
    | players, codec, WINDOWS UPDATES. How do I know the
    | things that MUST be done after a reinstall.
    |
    | thank you so much. Anyone that answers this or emails
    | me instructions would be greatly appreciated
    |
    | Eric

    WOW. Very confusing.

    How do I know if I have pure windows OR OEM. Whats the
    difference. No it is not Compaq. It is Gateway, and I
    have reinstall 98 and 95 disks, but not a system restore
    disk.

    I don't mean to ask you to baby me or tell me how to read
    it, but thats exactly what I am going to do.

    I am a bit overwhelmed by what you wrote. seems like a
    lot to do. How would you break it down

    Thank you oh so much
    Eric

    If your upgrade is from MS, you can just install 98 directly from the
    upgrade. It will ask for your previous version disk just to verify that you
    had it. It will be cleaner that way.
    You will have to install a whole bunch of upgrades. First thing you will
    need will be internet connectivity. If the PC has a network card, it will
    need drivers probably. Then you'll need a browser. I suggest Mozilla
    Firefox. The download is only 5Mb compared to IE6 at 18+ Meg! If you can
    download it on another machine and transfer it, you won't have to mess with
    IE3 which loaded on W98.

    "eric0668" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have XP and have reinstalled the OS a few times. with
    > minimal help from Dell
    >
    > A friend of mine just took over a computer from someone
    > that has never had the OS reinstalled. 6 years old. It
    > is my understanding that it is good to do every once in a
    > while is that correct?
    >
    > Anyway, how do I do it? She has the original 95
    > reinstall disk it came with, but I don't really know
    > abouut getting to dos, the boot mode thing, etc... what
    > do I do. Gateway emailed me instructioins, but that was
    > for 98. they failed to remember that I have 95 with a 98
    > upgrade. Would I reinstall 98 and 95 the same way?
    > (because I do need to do 95 first, right)
    >
    > Also, with XP, there were a few things I needed to do
    > afterward, like install things like Java, Adobe, Media
    > players, codec, WINDOWS UPDATES. How do I know the
    > things that MUST be done after a reinstall.
    >
    > thank you so much. Anyone that answers this or emails
    > me instructions would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Eric

    As Richards said, post precisely what is on your label. He will compare
    it to what Richards wrote (in my earlier quote) or to the full panoply
    of what Badour wrote (below). After that, read through some of the URLs
    I posted, & come back with a plan & specific questions. If you have a
    functioning system, it could be wise to make a full system backup of it
    first, as one never knows. Would you like my list of full system backup
    apps?

    RETAIL FULL INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
    can install it to a blank hard drive.

    RETAIL UPGRADE INSTALL: This CD will either upgrade W95/98 to SE or you
    can install it to a blank hard drive; however, when installing to a
    blank drive, install will ask to see the qualifying system (i.e., W95)
    disk(s).

    OEM FULL INSTALL. This SE CD is designed to be installed to a blank
    hard drive; however, there is a possibility that you can trick it into
    upgrading. For info, go to:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html Be aware that if you
    buy an OEM disk, it might be customized for installation on a particular
    computer; however, this will probably be primarily with a used disk.

    UPDATE CD: This CD will only update a functioning copy of W98 to W98SE.
    When MS sold them, they were $20 and came with a ProductKey. Some
    venders were selling them and advising customers to use the W98
    ProductKey which may or may not work--don't get stung.

    RECOVERY CD: Some companies will brand an OEM CD and call it a recovery
    CD. You should avoid these unless it is the exact recovery CD you are
    looking for. Many recovery CDs will only install on the equipment they
    were intended for.

    --
    | WOW. Very confusing.
    |
    | How do I know if I have pure windows OR OEM. Whats the
    | difference. No it is not Compaq. It is Gateway, and I
    | have reinstall 98 and 95 disks, but not a system restore
    | disk.
    |
    | I don't mean to ask you to baby me or tell me how to read
    | it, but thats exactly what I am going to do.
    |
    | I am a bit overwhelmed by what you wrote. seems like a
    | lot to do. How would you break it down
    |
    | Thank you oh so much
    | Eric

    | >|
    | >| A friend of mine just took over a computer from someone
    | >| that has never had the OS reinstalled. 6 years old. It
    | >| is my understanding that it is good to do every once
    | in a
    | >| while is that correct?
    | >|
    | >| Anyway, how do I do it? She has the original 95
    | >| reinstall disk it came with, but I don't really know
    | >| abouut getting to dos, the boot mode thing, etc... what
    | >| do I do. Gateway emailed me instructioins, but that
    | was
    | >| for 98. they failed to remember that I have 95 with a
    | 98
    | >| upgrade. Would I reinstall 98 and 95 the same way?
    | >| (because I do need to do 95 first, right)
    | >|
    | >| Also, with XP, there were a few things I needed to do
    | >| afterward, like install things like Java, Adobe, Media
    | >| players, codec, WINDOWS UPDATES. How do I know the
    | >| things that MUST be done after a reinstall.
    | >|
    | >| thank you so much. Anyone that answers this or emails
    | >| me instructions would be greatly appreciated
    | >|
    | >| Eric
    | >

    | >.

    There's no such thing as "reinstall 98 and 95 disks", unless perhaps they
    are disk that Gateway prepared specially for that machine.. What exactly do
    the CDs say on the label?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "eric0668" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > WOW. Very confusing.
    >
    > How do I know if I have pure windows OR OEM. Whats the
    > difference. No it is not Compaq. It is Gateway, and I
    > have reinstall 98 and 95 disks, but not a system restore
    > disk.
    >
    > I don't mean to ask you to baby me or tell me how to read
    > it, but thats exactly what I am going to do.
    >
    > I am a bit overwhelmed by what you wrote. seems like a
    > lot to do. How would you break it down
    >
    > Thank you oh so much
    > Eric

Computers Windows XP Windows