Start up order?

Is there a way to select the order of start up apps?
Or does it matter?

I want the firewall (Kerio) to start first so nothing sneaks out.

Any ideas?

thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about start order

    If you are using XP then simply turn the firewall on and it's always on. If
    you have SP2 installed then the firewall is even more configurable. Go into
    the security center in your control panel to set the options you want. There
    is no need to waste your money on a third party firewall. The one in XP was
    designed for XP and so works very well. As far as what apps start first it
    really doesn't matter all that much as there is mere microseconds between
    initiations of apps on the startup list. {]:~)

    Hi stratman,

    Doesn't really matter which order they start in as far as the user is
    concerned. As for the programs themselves, many have certain dependencies,
    so the program writers set them to start after those dependencies are
    loaded. It is suggested that you not tamper with it.

    If you have a real need to do this, then disable the programs altogether
    from loading (via msconfig or from within the program's own options), then
    create a batch file of your own that loads them in order and place it here:

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message news:8DB40A24-B940-4AF3-BBDE-F0B54C2CFBED@microsoft.com...
    > If you are using XP then simply turn the firewall on and it's always on. If
    > you have SP2 installed then the firewall is even more configurable. Go into
    > the security center in your control panel to set the options you want. There
    > is no need to waste your money on a third party firewall. The one in XP was
    > designed for XP and so works very well. As far as what apps start first it
    > really doesn't matter all that much as there is mere microseconds between
    > initiations of apps on the startup list. {]:~)

    You (STILL!) never have learned to reply with the previous post still in your message bodies. Very ineffective, if you're trying to give help, since no-one can figure out WTF you're on about!

    "PLONK"

    Are you nuts?? Scroll down his response and you'll see the original post.
    Maybe YOU have a problem?
    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > If you are using XP then simply turn the firewall on and it's always on. If
    > you have SP2 installed then the firewall is even more configurable. Go into
    > the security center in your control panel to set the options you want. There
    > is no need to waste your money on a third party firewall. The one in XP was
    > designed for XP and so works very well. As far as what apps start first it
    > really doesn't matter all that much as there is mere microseconds between
    > initiations of apps on the startup list. {]:~)

    You (STILL!) never have learned to reply with the previous post still in your
    message bodies. Very ineffective, if you're trying to give help, since no-one
    can figure out WTF you're on about!

    "PLONK"

    Well, you obviously CANNOT read! I didn't plonk you, and this would be obvious since I CLEARLY see your post. You are "Unknown", whereas I plonked "The Unknown P". Read down the headers, and see "Ps" post. Also, TUP uses the worthless web based reader, hwereas you use OE.l
    Chill out, and read carefully man!

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message news:Kui1d.1405$Qv5.90@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
    > Are you nuts?? Scroll down his response and you'll see the original post.
    > Maybe YOU have a problem?
    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> If you are using XP then simply turn the firewall on and it's always on. If
    >> you have SP2 installed then the firewall is even more configurable. Go into
    >> the security center in your control panel to set the options you want. There
    >> is no need to waste your money on a third party firewall. The one in XP was
    >> designed for XP and so works very well. As far as what apps start first it
    >> really doesn't matter all that much as there is mere microseconds between
    >> initiations of apps on the startup list. {]:~)
    >>

    > You (STILL!) never have learned to reply with the previous post still in your
    > message bodies. Very ineffective, if you're trying to give help, since no-one
    > can figure out WTF you're on about!
    >
    > "PLONK"

    Sometimes the original post is not shown, for whatever reason. How do you
    scroll down to it then??? ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:Kui1d.1405$Qv5.90@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    Unknown <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> hunted and pecked:
    > Are you nuts?? Scroll down his response and you'll see the original
    > post. Maybe YOU have a problem?
    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> If you are using XP then simply turn the firewall on and it's always
    >> on. If you have SP2 installed then the firewall is even more
    >> configurable. Go into the security center in your control panel to
    >> set the options you want. There is no need to waste your money on a
    >> third party firewall. The one in XP was designed for XP and so works
    >> very well. As far as what apps start first it really doesn't matter
    >> all that much as there is mere microseconds between initiations of
    >> apps on the startup list. {]:~)
    >>

    > You (STILL!) never have learned to reply with the previous post still
    > in your message bodies. Very ineffective, if you're trying to give
    > help, since no-one can figure out WTF you're on about!
    >
    > "PLONK"

    Sorry about that, but the original post was not shown on my computer but the
    response from 'The UnknownP' was and it contained the original post. So that
    leaves me totally confused as to why you criticise him for not quoting the OP.
    Well, you obviously CANNOT read! I didn't plonk you, and this would be obvious
    since I CLEARLY see your post. You are "Unknown", whereas I plonked "The
    Unknown P". Read down the headers, and see "Ps" post. Also, TUP uses the
    worthless web based reader, hwereas you use OE.l
    Chill out, and read carefully man!

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Are you nuts?? Scroll down his response and you'll see the original post.
    > Maybe YOU have a problem?
    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> If you are using XP then simply turn the firewall on and it's always on. If
    >> you have SP2 installed then the firewall is even more configurable. Go into
    >> the security center in your control panel to set the options you want.
    >> There
    >> is no need to waste your money on a third party firewall. The one in XP was
    >> designed for XP and so works very well. As far as what apps start first it
    >> really doesn't matter all that much as there is mere microseconds between
    >> initiations of apps on the startup list. {]:~)
    >>

    > You (STILL!) never have learned to reply with the previous post still in
    > your
    > message bodies. Very ineffective, if you're trying to give help, since
    > no-one
    > can figure out WTF you're on about!
    >
    > "PLONK"

Firewalls Apps Microsoft Windows XP