Location of Default Browser Setting

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I assume that the default browser (example: IE or Netscape)
is stored in the registry. If that is correct, how do I recognize
that entry in the registry after I export the registry to a text file via
REGEDIT?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

"Brad" <bpetria@verizon.net> wrote in message news:425aa93b.575394@news.bellatlantic.net...
> Hi,
>
> I assume that the default browser (example: IE or Netscape)
> is stored in the registry. If that is correct, how do I recognize
> that entry in the registry after I export the registry to a text file via
> REGEDIT?

I don't think there is one exclusive "default browser" setting. There
are asscociations for the various protocols.

e.g., check the default value under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command

also see https, ftp, nntp, mailto, gopher, telnet, etc..

The command value is what's loaded, but there are other values in
the same keys that would need to be examined also. (and who knows
what else). I wouldn't try to manipulate them manually, when the
browser will do it for you.

You might also want to try sysinternal's regmon.