Windows 98 Booting Problems - Asking for Authentication #

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 12, 2005 1:32:43 PM

Last evening I was cleaning out some temp files when the system locked.

When I began booting Windows 98, I see the wallpaper (not full screen) but I
am being asked for the Authentication #/Code for Windows 98. I cannot go any
further. Of course, given Windows 98, it is an older system (Sony Viao) and
I neither have the disk or code.

Did I erase a registry file which acknowledges that Windows 98 is already
installed?

I tried the boot disk and when I get to executing Windows, it says, "VFat
device initialization failed". I have some instruction from
http:///support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139063 but I am unsure if I should go
this route.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I simply go and buy Windows XP Home
Edition Upgrade?
April 12, 2005 5:58:45 PM

"jet031969" <jet031969@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last evening I was cleaning out some temp files when the system locked.
>
> When I began booting Windows 98, I see the wallpaper (not full screen) but
> am being asked for the Authentication #/Code for Windows 98. I cannot go
> any
> further. Of course, given Windows 98, it is an older system (Sony Viao)
> and
> I neither have the disk or code.
>
> Did I erase a registry file which acknowledges that Windows 98 is already
> installed?
>
> I tried the boot disk and when I get to executing Windows, it says, "VFat
> device initialization failed". I have some instruction from
> http:///support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139063 but I am unsure if I should go
> this route.
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Should I simply go and buy Windows XP Home
> Edition Upgrade?

have you tried scanreg /restore from the dos prompt to try and revert to a
good registry ?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:22:34 AM

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

Press/hold down the ctrl key or continually tap the F8 key just after you see
the memory count on the POST screen until you get the boot menu where you can
select Safe Mode.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>