invalid disk table, format?

Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk tale in boot record".
It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am having some
problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors but when
Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not have
anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it tells me
to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no idea how
to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.

I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.

This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory and a
larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I upgraded
to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?

Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying to fix
the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next year.
Thanks.

Sorry, should have been "disk table" not "disk tale".

"LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk tale in boot
record".
> It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am having
some
> problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors but
when
> Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not have
> anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it tells
me
> to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no idea how
> to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
>
> I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
> problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.
>
> This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory and a
> larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I upgraded
> to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?
>
> Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying to
fix
> the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next year.
> Thanks.

I've forwarded your issue to Chris Quirke, MVP, who is the person I go
to for questions like yours. Please don't act hastily, and give Chris a
chance to respond. I promise, it will be worth your while.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Sorry, should have been "disk table" not "disk tale".
>
> "LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> > Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk tale in boot
> record".
> > It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am
having
> some
> > problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors
but
> when
> > Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not
have
> > anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it
tells
> me
> > to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no
idea how
> > to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
> >
> > I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
> > problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.
> >
> > This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory
and a
> > larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I
upgraded
> > to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?
> >
> > Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying
> fix
> > the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next
year.
> > Thanks.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I await Chris Quirkes MVP reply with great anticipation since he is the man
who warned us all about the need for the maintenance operating system that is
needed for XP PROFESSIONAL SP 2 for NT (New Technology aka Not There
according to Microsofts own people back in the 1980's)

http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> I've forwarded your issue to Chris Quirke, MVP, who is the person I go
> to for questions like yours. Please don't act hastily, and give Chris a
> chance to respond. I promise, it will be worth your while.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> > Sorry, should have been "disk table" not "disk tale".
> >
> > "LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> > > Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk tale in boot
> > record".
> > > It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am
> having
> > some
> > > problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors
> but
> > when
> > > Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not
> have
> > > anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it
> tells
> > me
> > > to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no
> idea how
> > > to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
> > >
> > > I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
> > > problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.
> > >
> > > This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory
> and a
> > > larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I
> upgraded
> > > to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?
> > >
> > > Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying
> > fix
> > > the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next
> year.
> > > Thanks.

To even attempt a diagnosis, you first have to look at the numbers/data in
the partition tables and volume boot sector(s). To do that, post a partinfo.
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/partinfo.zip
It does not attempt to fix anything. Run from A:\>, so that default redirected
output will be written to A: To do that; put the unzipped partinfo.exe on a 98
boot floppy, boot to DOS and at the A:\> prompt, run

partinfo > partinfo.txt

A DOS format alone probably wouldn't fix it. Running the recovery disk might,
_unless_ the recovery disk logic is flawed and is responsible for setting
it up wrong in the first place. If you're willing to go through all that
trouble and you already have made your backups, I would attempt a manual
fix first.

No, the NDD error isn't related to the CDRW problem.

"LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:u5e5585PFHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk tale in boot record".
> It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am having some
> problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors but when
> Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not have
> anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it tells me
> to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no idea how
> to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
>
> I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
> problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.
>
> This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory and a
> larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I upgraded
> to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?
>
> Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying to fix
> the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next year.
> Thanks.

Please be patient I know nothing. Still, I think I've managed to get the
info you requested. It's all greek to me so here's hoping it what you asked
for and it means more to you than to me. Thanks.

Partition Information Program
Sep 16 2002 - DOS32 Version
Copyright (c) 1994-2002, PowerQuest Corporation
Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm) and DriveCopy(tm),
can be reached at
Voice: 801-226-6834 Web site: http://www.powerquest.com/support/
Fax: 801-226-8941 Email: help@powerquest.com
BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
EGeo 0x0001 17475 15 63 78165360 0 512
Disk 0: 5169 Cylinders, 240 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.BiosExtensions: 0x2100
Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
The BIOS supports INT 13h extensions for this
drive.============================ Partition Tables
==============================Partition -----Begin---- ------E
nd----- Start NumSector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head
Sect Sect

Sects---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ---------- -----
----- 0 0 80 [ 0 1 1] 0C [1023 254 63] 63
78156162 [Large Drive Placeholders] 0 1 1
5169 14 63 Actual ValuesError #109: Partition
ends after end of disk. ucEndCylinder (5169) must be less than 5169.Error
#108: Partition didn't end on cylinder boundary. ucEndHead expected to be
239, not 14.
======Disk 0: 38161.8 Megabytes============================= Partition
Information ==============================Volume Partition
Partition Start TotalLetter:Label Type Status Size
MB Sector # Sector

Sectors------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - --------
-- ----------C:HP_PAVILION FAT32X Pri,Boot 38162.2 0 0
63 78156162
========================================================================Boot
Sector for drive C: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 63, Type:
FAT32=======================================================================
=1. Jump: EB 58 902. OEM Name: MSWIN4.13.
Bytes Per Sector: 5124. Sectors Per Cluster: 645. Reserved
Sectors: 326. Number of FAT's: 27. Reserved:
0x00008. Reserved: 0x00009. Media Descriptor: 0xF810.
Sectors Per FAT: 011. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)12. Number of
Heads: 240 (0xF0)13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)14. Big Total
Sectors: 78155174 (0x4A88DA6)15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 953916.
Extended Flags: 0x000017. FS Version: 018. First Cluster
of Root: 2 (0x2)19. FS Info Sector: 120. Backup Boot Sector:
621. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 22. Drive
ID: 0x8023. Reserved for NT: 0x0024. Extended Boot Sig:
0x2925. Serial Number: 0x3743160D26. Volume Name:
HP_PAVILION27. File System Type: FAT32 28. Boot Signature:
0xAA55

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> To even attempt a diagnosis, you first have to look at the numbers/data in
> the partition tables and volume boot sector(s). To do that, post a
partinfo.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/partinfo.zip
> It does not attempt to fix anything. Run from A:\>, so that default
redirected
> output will be written to A: To do that; put the unzipped partinfo.exe on
a 98
> boot floppy, boot to DOS and at the A:\> prompt, run
>
> partinfo > partinfo.txt
>

> A DOS format alone probably wouldn't fix it. Running the recovery disk
might,
> _unless_ the recovery disk logic is flawed and is responsible for setting
> it up wrong in the first place. If you're willing to go through all that
> trouble and you already have made your backups, I would attempt a manual
> fix first.
>
> No, the NDD error isn't related to the CDRW problem.
>

> "LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> > Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk tale in boot
record".
> > It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am having
some
> > problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors but
when
> > Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not have
> > anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it tells
me
> > to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no idea
how
> > to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
> >
> > I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
> > problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.
> >
> > This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory and
> > larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I
upgraded
> > to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?
> >
> > Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying to
fix
> > the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next year.
> > Thanks.

It looks to be some rare dialect of greek ;).. I expected it to word
wrap, since partinfo's output is greater than 80 chars/line, but your
news reader also seems to have deleted the carriage returns and
linefeeds in the original before the wrap. (?) Fixing simple word
wrap is pretty easy but this is a pretty good mess. Maybe you could
email it to me as an attachment and I'll post it.? Remove REMOVE from
my return address, or better yet you can find one of my primary
addresses at this site-

http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/mail/

"LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:%23uulVJFQFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> > anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it tells
> me
>> > to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no idea
> how
>> > to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
>> >
>> > I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
>> > problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.
>> >
>> > This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory and
>> > larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems? Also I
> upgraded
>> > to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee some problems?
>> >
>> > Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying to
> fix
>> > the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next year.

That was more readable. The tabs weren't removed this time, but cr/lf(s) were still
missing. Maybe you're opening it in Word or some other editor first? (Reformatted
below)

You may be seeing that error from NDD, because the total number of sectors
defined in the partition table ("Num Sects - 78156162"), does not match the
number of sectors defined for the the volume in the boot sector (Big Total
Sectors - 78155174") The partition table entry is 988 sectors larger, and
defines the partition past the end of the logical disk. Doing the math, the
value in the boot sector appears to be correct and equals the disk size reported
("Disk 0: 38161.8 Megabytes")

The quick way to correct that value would be by using a partition table
editor. The safer way would be by using a partitioning tool such as
BootitNG to resize the partition 1MB smaller and then resize it back.
Using BooitNG, you would create the install disk, reboot, cancel the
install and enter into maintenance mode. If you have any questions, let
us know before proceeding. Working with corrupted partitions does have
a certain amount of risk, but BING should be able to handle it fine.
IOW, make sure your backups are up to date.

BootitNG
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ---------- ----------
#108: Partition didn't end on cylinder boundary.
------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ---------- ----------
[...]

Thanks for the info and explanation. Trying to correct it might be beyond
my limited capabilities. I'm leaning towards taking it to the repair shop
and having them fix it. In the meantime will I be doing any damage by using
my computer as I normally would? Thanks again.

==============================

======
==============================
> Volume Partition Partition Start
Total
> Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector # Sector
Sectors
> ------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ---------- --
--------
> C:HP_PAVILION FAT32X Pri,Boot 38162.2 0 0 63

> Boot Sector for drive C: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32
> 1. Jump: EB 58 90
> 2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1
> 3. Bytes Per Sector: 512
> 4. Sectors Per Cluster: 64
> 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
> 6. Number of FAT's: 2
> 7. Reserved: 0x0000
> 8. Reserved: 0x0000
> 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
> 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
> 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
> 12. Number of Heads: 240 (0xF0)
> 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
> 14. Big Total Sectors: 78155174 (0x4A88DA6)
> 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9539
> 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
> 17. FS Version: 0
> 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
> 19. FS Info Sector: 1
> 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
> 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 22. Drive ID: 0x80
> 23. Reserved for NT: 0x00
> 24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29
> 25. Serial Number: 0x3743160D
> 26. Volume Name: HP_PAVILION
> 27. File System Type: FAT32
> 28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

Tell me... Did this "error" just suddenly pop up out of nowhere? You
made no recent changes in your system, and Norton Disk Doctor had
previously registered everything as OK?

In other words, this isn't maybe just Disk Doctor giving a false reading
because of some inherent incompatibility with your disk structure?

Chris Quirke sent me the following. HE seems to be up to his neck oh
other issues and can't come to the phone. I'll let you read what he
said, yourself, down below my sig. I think the first rule that you
should apply here is the golden oldie: "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it." Does your system run fine, otherwise? If so, best to leave well
enough alone and not mess with it.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Here's what Chris wrote:
>From: "LAH" <someone@somewhere.net>
>Subject: invalid disk table, format?

>Norton Disk Doctor recently said this: "Invalid disk table in boot
record".
>It is not able to fix it. Other things appear to work OK but am having
some
>problem with the CD-writer (Easy CD Creator and trackwriting errors but
when
>Creator runs it's system test things checkout OK.) - may or may not
have
>anything to do with this. I've looked at the symantec site and it
tells me
>to check the partitions using FDISK. Well, dumb butt here has no idea
how
>to do this and what to do with the information once I find it.
>
>I'm considering running format and recovery. Perhaps would fix both
>problems? I saved everything I can think of to save.

If the system's running OK, then it's not likely to be a problem.

Normally, problems in the partition table (is "disk table" a translation
error?) will prevent the OS being found.

Firstly; what brand and type of PC is this?

If proprietary, e.g. Compaq, there may be a hidden "diagnostics"
partition present that Norton Disk Doctor won't recognize. Some
Compaq systems store the BIOS/CMOS setup program there,
instead of this being hard-coded into ROM as is standard.

If it's a laptop, then there may be a hidden partition that the uses
to hold the RAM contents when it suspends to disk ("hibernates").

Secondly; are there multiple operating systems, and/or a boot
manager? If so, then inactive partitions may be deliberately set
to have invalid (unknown) type bytes to hide them. Also, the
boot manager itself may reside in a "special" partition, and/or
it may use something other than the standard partition table and
thus fall foul of what Norton Disk Doctor expects to see.

Thirdly; what hard drive is it (brand, size)? Some hard drive makers
will use a "special" driver embedded in the Master Boot Record as
a way of working around old BIOS limitations, even if these kludges
are not required. Suspect this if a new / large HD was added to an
older system, e.g. HD > 137G on a system 1+ years old.

The point is, all of these contexts may require non-standard settings
that Norton Disk Doctor may as a problem. If this is what's going on,
then "fixing" these "problems" could be very dangerous indeed.

Finally, Norton Disk Doctor may itself be the problem, if it pre-dates
evolving standards. For example, the original Norton Utilities for
Win95
predates FAT32, and can't expected to recognize FAT32 partitions or
volumes that would be prevalent in Win95SR2 and later systems.

>This would put me back to factory condition but I've had more memory
>and a larger hard drive installed. Will this give me problems?

Going back to factory condition is carnage, pure and simple. It's
hard to imagine what could possibly be worse than that, that would
not bite you anyway (i.e. a physically dying hard drive will kill you
no matter how often you "just re-install Windows")

>Also I upgraded to Windows 98SE. Again, does anyone foresee
>some problems?

My guess is you're using Win95-era Norton on Win98-era OS, hardware
and file systems, and it's over its head and crying "wolf".

What circumstances led you to run Disk Doctor?

have you ever run Disk Doctor on your current setup, and had it
not find the "errors" it is finding now?

>Is formatting the hard drive a good idea or should I struggle trying to
fix
>the disk table. I know - buy a new computer! Well, maybe next year.

More info as indicated, as well as some context - i.e. is the system
running fine, or are there problems that led you to run diagnostics?

If problems, what sort of problems were they?

You're welcome..

The short answer is you'll *probably* be ok, but only because the volume
as defined in the (windows) boot sector does not go past the end of the
disk. If it did, it would be much more urgent. Depending on how you use
your system you might never have another issue (other than this NDD one).

If you do let soemone else fix it, I'd make sure they call you after the
diagnosis, before proceeding. Don't let anybody tell you that "reinstalling"
(or even a new HD) is needed. If they do, they don't know what they're talking
about and/or are trying to take the easy way out... Sure it'll probably fix
it, but it's uneccessary.