Norton Internet Security 2005

Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Hi,

I use Norton Internet Security 2003.

In 2004 I opted not to upgrade to NIS 2004 but just to renew the
subscription. There seemed to be a consensus that 2004 version was
less reliable.

Now, in 2005, I have the same dilemma: upgrade or renewal? While I
understand that a lot of folks here are in favor of dropping Symantec
altogether, let's keep this option out (at least for now).

Those who either got or upgraded to NIS 2005, what is your opinion
about the product? Any known issues and/or incompatibilities?

TIA, Eugene
16 answers Last reply
More about norton internet security 2005
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Andrew,

    <<< If you don't mind the inconvenience of reconfiguring: cheat.
    Uninstall NIS, then re-install it. This will reset the subscription to
    your install date + 1 year. >>>

    The price of renewal is not cost prohibitive for me. I don't mind
    paying for the version upgrade either as long as I'm not getting less
    stable incarnation.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'm a "Norton basher", but I can honestly suggest that NIS 2005 will be
    a *worse* problem for Win9x users than even NIS 2004. I much prefer EZ
    Armor, from ETrust (aka Computer Associates.) See the "Security" article
    in my sig.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Andrew,
    >
    > <<< If you don't mind the inconvenience of reconfiguring: cheat.
    > Uninstall NIS, then re-install it. This will reset the subscription
    > your install date + 1 year. >>>
    >
    > The price of renewal is not cost prohibitive for me. I don't mind
    > paying for the version upgrade either as long as I'm not getting less
    > stable incarnation.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary,

    <<< I can honestly suggest that NIS 2005 will be a *worse* problem for
    Win9x users than even NIS 2004 >>>

    Is it a hunch or do you have solid reasons for your suggestion? (I'm
    not implying that your hunch isn't good enough.)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    A well-founded hunch... But you might also peruse Google Groups. I see a
    fair number of reports about NIS 2005.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Norton+NIS+2005

    --

    > Gary,
    >
    > <<< I can honestly suggest that NIS 2005 will be a *worse* problem for
    > Win9x users than even NIS 2004 >>>
    >
    > Is it a hunch or do you have solid reasons for your suggestion? (I'm
    > not implying that your hunch isn't good enough.)

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    [This followup was posted to comp.security.firewalls and a copy was sent
    to the cited author.]

    In article <1113338215.517161.46390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    pm771.am@gmail.com says...
    > I use Norton Internet Security 2003.
    >
    > In 2004 I opted not to upgrade to NIS 2004 but just to renew the
    > subscription. There seemed to be a consensus that 2004 version was
    > less reliable.
    >
    > Now, in 2005, I have the same dilemma: upgrade or renewal? While I
    > understand that a lot of folks here are in favor of dropping Symantec
    > altogether, let's keep this option out (at least for now).
    >
    > Those who either got or upgraded to NIS 2005, what is your opinion
    > about the product? Any known issues and/or incompatibilities?

    If you don't mind the inconvenience of reconfiguring: cheat. Uninstall
    NIS, then re-install it. This will reset the subscription to your
    install date + 1 year.

    Otherwise, on my parent's computers, I've been using Zone Alarm (free
    version) and Grisoft Free AVG for AntiVirus

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On 12 Apr 2005 13:36:55 -0700, "E. Fridman" <pm771.am@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I use Norton Internet Security 2003.
    >
    >In 2004 I opted not to upgrade to NIS 2004 but just to renew the
    >subscription. There seemed to be a consensus that 2004 version was
    >less reliable.
    >
    >Now, in 2005, I have the same dilemma: upgrade or renewal? While I
    >understand that a lot of folks here are in favor of dropping Symantec
    >altogether, let's keep this option out (at least for now).
    >
    >Those who either got or upgraded to NIS 2005, what is your opinion
    >about the product? Any known issues and/or incompatibilities?
    >
    >TIA, Eugene

    Why don't you look at other solutions. If you like the all in one
    solution then look at bitdefender.com for BitDefender 8 professional
    or f-secure.com for F-Secure internet security 2005. Personall the
    best solutions are a combination of best of breed applications from
    different vendors. I have Nod32 from www.nod32.com and Kerio Personal
    Firewall 4 from www.kerio.com . I also use Sygate Personal Firewall
    Professional on another machine with Nod32.

    Symantec doesn't get any better with age :=)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    A while ago, I upgraded from Norton AV 2002 to NIS2005. Be aware that
    NIS2005 is a huge resource hog. Yes, it works, but again, slows the system
    down dramatically. It also installs itself all over the place, so I went to
    uninstall it (to try to reinstall - per Symantec's suggestion for 'fixing' a
    live update problem), it really hose up my system.

    In the end, the system really slowed down after the reinstall....so, I
    reformatted the HDD and reinstalled Windows/etc. I chose a different
    AV/Firewall solution.

    Juan
    "E. Fridman" <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I use Norton Internet Security 2003.
    |
    | In 2004 I opted not to upgrade to NIS 2004 but just to renew the
    | subscription. There seemed to be a consensus that 2004 version was
    | less reliable.
    |
    | Now, in 2005, I have the same dilemma: upgrade or renewal? While I
    | understand that a lot of folks here are in favor of dropping Symantec
    | altogether, let's keep this option out (at least for now).
    |
    | Those who either got or upgraded to NIS 2005, what is your opinion
    | about the product? Any known issues and/or incompatibilities?
    |
    | TIA, Eugene

    Zone Alarm Professional stopped a 17,850 hack attempt on my 98SE machine that
    originated from the government of China. According to Zone Alarm Information
    anything above a 1000 is considered a hack attempt.

    "Andrew Rossmann" wrote:

    > [This followup was posted to comp.security.firewalls and a copy was sent
    > to the cited author.]
    >
    > In article <1113338215.517161.46390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > pm771.am@gmail.com says...
    > > I use Norton Internet Security 2003.
    > >
    > > In 2004 I opted not to upgrade to NIS 2004 but just to renew the
    > > subscription. There seemed to be a consensus that 2004 version was
    > > less reliable.
    > >
    > > Now, in 2005, I have the same dilemma: upgrade or renewal? While I
    > > understand that a lot of folks here are in favor of dropping Symantec
    > > altogether, let's keep this option out (at least for now).
    > >
    > > Those who either got or upgraded to NIS 2005, what is your opinion
    > > about the product? Any known issues and/or incompatibilities?
    >
    > If you don't mind the inconvenience of reconfiguring: cheat. Uninstall
    > NIS, then re-install it. This will reset the subscription to your
    > install date + 1 year.
    >
    > Otherwise, on my parent's computers, I've been using Zone Alarm (free
    > version) and Grisoft Free AVG for AntiVirus
    >
    > --
    > If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
    > All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
    > law!!
    > http://home.att.net/~andyross

    Norton (aka Symantec) products are a huge resource hog. I limit myself to
    one Norton/Symantec product and that is GoBack because it was a Roxio product
    for a long time. Have a nice day!

    "Eugene F." wrote:

    > Gary,
    >
    > <<< I can honestly suggest that NIS 2005 will be a *worse* problem for
    > Win9x users than even NIS 2004 >>>
    >
    > Is it a hunch or do you have solid reasons for your suggestion? (I'm
    > not implying that your hunch isn't good enough.)

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Juan,

    Thank you for sharing your experience.

    <<< A while ago, I upgraded from Norton AV 2002 to NIS2005. Be aware
    that
    NIS2005 is a huge resource hog >>>

    I understand that when you're moving from AV only to full NIS package
    (Firewall, Parental Controls, etc.) the bloat increases.

    My question is whether NIS 2005 hogs more resources than its 2003
    counterpart does.

    The problem with package suites is the same problem with an all in one fax
    machine with phone and other stuff. It usually does what it is supposed to
    do -- generally -- but it never does anything really well -- My 2 cents for
    what it is worth is the following for a bare minimum of protection as well as
    using common sense and being really careful:

    Zone Alarm Professional or Computer Associates software firewall

    Antivirus -- still researching -- possibly Norton, or paid AVG or ZA or EZ
    Antivirus

    Spyware -- Spysweeper by Webroot -- $20-$30 for a year and even Microsoft
    knows it is good since MSN users can get it for free or a small fee if they
    are subscribers to MSN and remember MSN is part of Microsoft

    LOL!!

    "Eugene F." wrote:

    > Juan,
    >
    > Thank you for sharing your experience.
    >
    > <<< A while ago, I upgraded from Norton AV 2002 to NIS2005. Be aware
    > that
    > NIS2005 is a huge resource hog >>>
    >
    > I understand that when you're moving from AV only to full NIS package
    > (Firewall, Parental Controls, etc.) the bloat increases.
    >
    > My question is whether NIS 2005 hogs more resources than its 2003
    > counterpart does.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I can say that NIS2005 hogs significantly more resources than other lesser
    known 2005 suites. Not sure about Symantec's 2003 vs. 2005 versions.

    | Juan,
    |
    | Thank you for sharing your experience.
    |
    | <<< A while ago, I upgraded from Norton AV 2002 to NIS2005. Be aware
    | that
    | NIS2005 is a huge resource hog >>>
    |
    | I understand that when you're moving from AV only to full NIS package
    | (Firewall, Parental Controls, etc.) the bloat increases.
    |
    | My question is whether NIS 2005 hogs more resources than its 2003
    | counterpart does.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    NIS2005 can be/is very problematic to 98/SE machines. I believe that many who
    continue to use Symantec, updating each year, never update any system elements
    such as their processor, RAM and/or HD size. I currently use NIS2005 in a 98SE
    self-built machine, Celeron 500Mhz, 512MB RAM and 2 160GB HD's. At present I
    have no problems and never have with that machine and Symantec products,
    although now it is used as a secondary machine.

    You asked another poster in this thread if there is any significant difference
    between NIS03-05 in resources, the short and simple answer is YES. NIS05 has
    added 2 new categories I can think of right now, spam control and outbreak
    warnings. It's up to you to try it if you wish, but I would suggest at the very
    most the Trial version first to see if you have issues. I would also suggest
    that you use a registry monitoring program to take a snapshot of before/after
    installing NIS05 so you can do a thorough cleanup if warranted. The best
    suggestion is to use an imaging application such as Norton Ghost to create an
    image before installing, then if all goes haywire you can restore the image to
    before the install.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    "Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Gary,
    >
    > <<< I can honestly suggest that NIS 2005 will be a *worse* problem for
    > Win9x users than even NIS 2004 >>>
    >
    > Is it a hunch or do you have solid reasons for your suggestion? (I'm
    > not implying that your hunch isn't good enough.)

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Brian,

    Thank you very much for the reply.

    <<< I believe that many who continue to use Symantec, updating each
    year, never update any system elements such as their processor, RAM
    and/or HD size. >>>

    I'm adding 256Mb of RAM to the original 128Mb and swapping CD-ROM for
    DVD-R drive, but plan no processor and/or HD upgrades.

    <<< NIS05 has added 2 new categories I can think of right now, spam
    control and outbreak warnings. >>>

    I'm not interested in their Spam Control. Never heard of Outbreak
    Warnings, however. What is it about?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    stop updating symantec. Go to http://www.isagency.net and secure your
    pc and home with the finest security products and services. The
    Internet Security Agency provides all on security matters.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Brian,
    >
    > Thank you very much for the reply.

    You're welcome.

    > <<< I believe that many who continue to use Symantec, updating each
    > year, never update any system elements such as their processor, RAM
    > and/or HD size. >>>
    >
    > I'm adding 256Mb of RAM to the original 128Mb and swapping CD-ROM for
    > DVD-R drive, but plan no processor and/or HD upgrades.

    That's all fine and dandy, yet with the amount of bloat added by NIS/NAV each
    year IMO they understate their sys requirements which appear never to change.
    One has to question that!

    > <<< NIS05 has added 2 new categories I can think of right now, spam
    > control and outbreak warnings. >>>
    >
    > I'm not interested in their Spam Control. Never heard of Outbreak
    > Warnings, however. What is it about?

    Even though you're not interested in Spam Control, it gets installed. It doesn't
    matter that you can disable it in NIS, the extra bloat is already in place.

    I realize I mentioned outbreak warnings while it is really named Outbreak Alert.
    As per the manual on OA:
    "Notifies you of security threats affecting internet users worldwide and
    recommends actions to ensure that you are protected"

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm