usb port problems Intel hardware version001

Tags:
  • USB
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 12, 2005 6:35:15 PM

I have been doing some running around to get the USB port working on my
Winbook XLi laptop; in order to do that, I upgraded recently to Windows 98.
I am trying to use one of those thumbdrives, in this case the Sandisk Cruzer
512. After installing their 98 driver, the driver can't be found once I plug
in the device and the manufacturer refers me to Microsoft and the USB chipset
manufacturer. I have not been able to find a driver update to my USB HUB
(intel 82371AB/EB). Any thoughts on that and experiences with hardware
version 001?

Thanks for any help.
Stefan.

More about : usb port problems intel hardware version001

April 13, 2005 6:03:15 AM

If you want to use USB 2.0 then you need 98SE at a bare minimum. I think
this is what you are asking --- I hope

"Gildemeister" wrote:

> I have been doing some running around to get the USB port working on my
> Winbook XLi laptop; in order to do that, I upgraded recently to Windows 98.
> I am trying to use one of those thumbdrives, in this case the Sandisk Cruzer
> 512. After installing their 98 driver, the driver can't be found once I plug
> in the device and the manufacturer refers me to Microsoft and the USB chipset
> manufacturer. I have not been able to find a driver update to my USB HUB
> (intel 82371AB/EB). Any thoughts on that and experiences with hardware
> version 001?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Stefan.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:14:05 PM

I did install win98 precisely to gain usb capacity. What I am running into
is not being able to successfully operate it with a USB device even though
the hardware is functional and the drivers for the device are correctly
loaded. I am wondering if others found a way to solve an inoperability
problem with the intel chipset version 001, given that neither intel (the
chipset manufacturer), Microsoft the USB driver manufacturer, and Sandisk the
USB device manufacturer have an answer ready.

"Dan" wrote:

> If you want to use USB 2.0 then you need 98SE at a bare minimum. I think
> this is what you are asking --- I hope
>
> "Gildemeister" wrote:
>
> > I have been doing some running around to get the USB port working on my
> > Winbook XLi laptop; in order to do that, I upgraded recently to Windows 98.
> > I am trying to use one of those thumbdrives, in this case the Sandisk Cruzer
> > 512. After installing their 98 driver, the driver can't be found once I plug
> > in the device and the manufacturer refers me to Microsoft and the USB chipset
> > manufacturer. I have not been able to find a driver update to my USB HUB
> > (intel 82371AB/EB). Any thoughts on that and experiences with hardware
> > version 001?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > Stefan.

April 13, 2005 2:44:44 PM

sorry, to clarify, I am running windows 98 SE.

"Gildemeister" wrote:

> I did install win98 precisely to gain usb capacity. What I am running into
> is not being able to successfully operate it with a USB device even though
> the hardware is functional and the drivers for the device are correctly
> loaded. I am wondering if others found a way to solve an inoperability
> problem with the intel chipset version 001, given that neither intel (the
> chipset manufacturer), Microsoft the USB driver manufacturer, and Sandisk the
> USB device manufacturer have an answer ready.
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>
> > If you want to use USB 2.0 then you need 98SE at a bare minimum. I think
> > this is what you are asking --- I hope
> >
> > "Gildemeister" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been doing some running around to get the USB port working on my
> > > Winbook XLi laptop; in order to do that, I upgraded recently to Windows 98.
> > > I am trying to use one of those thumbdrives, in this case the Sandisk Cruzer
> > > 512. After installing their 98 driver, the driver can't be found once I plug
> > > in the device and the manufacturer refers me to Microsoft and the USB chipset
> > > manufacturer. I have not been able to find a driver update to my USB HUB
> > > (intel 82371AB/EB). Any thoughts on that and experiences with hardware
> > > version 001?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> > > Stefan.

April 13, 2005 7:20:02 PM

Glad to hear that you are running, 98SE. First of all, when you go into the
device manager are there any USB conflicts -- red x's or yellow ?'s. Next,
you need to make sure the Sandisk USB Device says that 98SE is supported
through their website because Microsoft does not make usb 2.0 drivers for
98SE. I think you can safely leave Intel out of the equation. I have an
Intel Pentium 4
2.4 GHZ. PC with two seperate hard drives
C:\ 98SE in Fat32 with customized registry and other settings
D:\ XP PROFESSIONAL SP 2 set up specifically for testing Microsoft security
of the NT (New Technology) aka (Not There) source code according to Chris
Quirke, MVP.

See his website:

http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm

I use Intel chipset drivers only and have never actually gotten any USB
drivers from them. Even for Microsoft Windows XP SP2 it is best to get the
USB drivers from the hardware manufacturer and use the Microsoft drivers as a
backup or in my case a last resort. I hope you can get the drivers from
Sandisk and I hope Sandisk supports 98SE otherwise you need to return the
product and look for USB 2.0 technology that is included with a compact disc
or that you can download from the manufacturer's website. Have a nice day!

!