Call Waiting and Dialup

Elizabeth

I always had a dedicated line to dial up the Internet. We recently
moved and are living someplace temporarily (a few months). There's
only one phone line here, and it has call waiting. How do I disable
call waiting while I'm online?

I don't use my ISP's software,. I just use Windows 98 Dialup.

Beth

"How to Disable the Call Waiting Feature in Windows"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275578

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
> I always had a dedicated line to dial up the Internet. We recently
> moved and are living someplace temporarily (a few months). There's
> only one phone line here, and it has call waiting. How do I disable
> call waiting while I'm online?
>
> I don't use my ISP's software,. I just use Windows 98 Dialup.
>
> Beth

Elizabeth

Thanks, Gary. I did search for that and didn't find it. Now I have to
call the telephone company to find out the code. I'll see if that have
it listed in the phone book.

Beth

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:44:09 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275578

HAGGIS

> Thanks, Gary. I did search for that and didn't find it. Now I have to
> call the telephone company to find out the code. I'll see if that have
> it listed in the phone book.
>
> Beth
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:44:09 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275578

I used to use *70, ###-#### ....the , adds a 2 second delay to make sure
call waiting is disabled before dialing

Elizabeth

Yes, I used *70, and now when I call my phone while I'm online, I just
get ringing, but I don't get kicked offline. I thought I'd get a busy
signal, but this is fine.

Beth

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:31:00 -0300, "Haggis"
<bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:

>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Gary. I did search for that and didn't find it. Now I have to
>> call the telephone company to find out the code. I'll see if that have
>> it listed in the phone book.
>>
>> Beth
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:44:09 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
>> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275578
>>

>I used to use *70, ###-#### ....the , adds a 2 second delay to make sure
>call waiting is disabled before dialing

HAGGIS

yes , that is how it works ....when people call , they hear ringing and you
hear the beep to let you know..if you ignore the beep , it just keeps
ringing

*70 just disables the beep that lets you know someone is there

> Yes, I used *70, and now when I call my phone while I'm online, I just
> get ringing, but I don't get kicked offline. I thought I'd get a busy
> signal, but this is fine.
>
> Beth
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:31:00 -0300, "Haggis"
> <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Gary. I did search for that and didn't find it. Now I have to
>>> call the telephone company to find out the code. I'll see if that have
>>> it listed in the phone book.
>>>
>>> Beth

>>I used to use *70, ###-#### ....the , adds a 2 second delay to make
>>sure
>>call waiting is disabled before dialing

Elizabeth

problem: someone just called while I was online, and it kicked me
offline, even though I told Dialup Properties to disable Call Waiting.
Then, I couldn't even answer the phone; it rang once, and the person
was gone.

I'm using *70, which is the code SBC says I should use.

Beth

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:38:35 -0300, "Haggis"
<bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:

>yes , that is how it works ....when people call , they hear ringing and you
>hear the beep to let you know..if you ignore the beep , it just keeps
>ringing
>
>*70 just disables the beep that lets you know someone is there
>
>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, I used *70, and now when I call my phone while I'm online, I just
>> get ringing, but I don't get kicked offline. I thought I'd get a busy
>> signal, but this is fine.
>>
>> Beth
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:31:00 -0300, "Haggis"
>> <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message

>>>I used to use *70, ###-#### ....the , adds a 2 second delay to make
>>>sure
>>>call waiting is disabled before dialing

HAGGIS

I would have a conversation with your phone company

> problem: someone just called while I was online, and it kicked me
> offline, even though I told Dialup Properties to disable Call Waiting.
> Then, I couldn't even answer the phone; it rang once, and the person
> was gone.
>
> I'm using *70, which is the code SBC says I should use.
>
> Beth
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:38:35 -0300, "Haggis"
> <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>yes , that is how it works ....when people call , they hear ringing and
>>you
>>hear the beep to let you know..if you ignore the beep , it just keeps
>>ringing
>>
>>*70 just disables the beep that lets you know someone is there
>>
>>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes, I used *70, and now when I call my phone while I'm online, I just
>>> get ringing, but I don't get kicked offline. I thought I'd get a busy
>>> signal, but this is fine.
>>>
>>> Beth

Elizabeth

I just did that, and the person I spoke with at SBC, insists there is
no way to disable call waiting for the Internet, only for voice calls.
I know she's wrong, but I don't know what's right.

Beth

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:52:23 -0300, "Haggis"
<bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:

>I would have a conversation with your phone company
>

>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>> problem: someone just called while I was online, and it kicked me
>> offline, even though I told Dialup Properties to disable Call Waiting.
>> Then, I couldn't even answer the phone; it rang once, and the person
>> was gone.
>>
>> I'm using *70, which is the code SBC says I should use.
>>
>> Beth
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:38:35 -0300, "Haggis"
>> <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>yes , that is how it works ....when people call , they hear ringing and
>>>you
>>>hear the beep to let you know..if you ignore the beep , it just keeps
>>>ringing
>>>
>>>*70 just disables the beep that lets you know someone is there
>>>
>>>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message

HAGGIS

if you are using just a regular phone, you can disable call waiting

or , like me, just get sick of it and cancel the service

>I just did that, and the person I spoke with at SBC, insists there is
> no way to disable call waiting for the Internet, only for voice calls.
> I know she's wrong, but I don't know what's right.
>
> Beth
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:52:23 -0300, "Haggis"
> <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I would have a conversation with your phone company
>>

>>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>>> problem: someone just called while I was online, and it kicked me
>>> offline, even though I told Dialup Properties to disable Call Waiting.
>>> Then, I couldn't even answer the phone; it rang once, and the person
>>> was gone.
>>>
>>> I'm using *70, which is the code SBC says I should use.
>>>
>>> Beth

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:54:18
GMT Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> posted:

>I just did that, and the person I spoke with at SBC, insists there is
>no way to disable call waiting for the Internet, only for voice calls.

Hilarious.

posted and mailed

>I know she's wrong, but I don't know what's right.

Sometimes because of area codes, etc. It's best not to check "disable
call waiting". Instead just put *70, in front of your regular isp
phone number in the regular field where that phone number is. That's
simpler and can be more reliable.

I use the win98 dialer too. I used to have 2 connectoids, one with
*70 and one without it, for those cases when I was expecting an
important call. But that won't work with v90 modems because the noise
suppression is so good that the call-waiting beep normally won't
interrupt the connection. OTOH, it seems to do so for you.

One was the default, but I put both connectoids on the quick launch
bar.

There is also Buzme and CallWave.

>Beth
>
>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:52:23 -0300, "Haggis"
><bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I would have a conversation with your phone company
>>

>>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>>> problem: someone just called while I was online, and it kicked me
>>> offline, even though I told Dialup Properties to disable Call Waiting.
>>> Then, I couldn't even answer the phone; it rang once, and the person
>>> was gone.
>>>
>>> I'm using *70, which is the code SBC says I should use.
>>>
>>> Beth

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether