Is the latest KB 891711 supposed to be in STARTUP

I'm confused with the language being used in the newsgroups about whether or
not 891711 is supposed to show in STARTUP as a checked item and if it should
show listed in ctrl-alt-del.

I'm using W98SE and had installed the original which caused me problems so I
uninstalled it. It showed in STARTUP and I was under the impression it
wasn't;t supposed to...now the new one shows there also. Is that OK?

Also, how do I get rid of the old unchecked 891711 line item still in
STARTUP?

Don
3 answers Last reply
More about latest 891711 supposed startup

    This is a Registry fix, so if you are not familiar with REGEDIT and
    Registry editing in general, please post back for further advice.

    Run REGEDIT and look for the following key:

    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

    Note the -minus sign in that Key name. There should be a value in that
    Key named "KB891711.exe". Right-click it and Delete.

    DO NOT delete any values other than that specific one, in that specific
    Key. The new version of KB891711 looks the same, but is located in an
    adjacent Key named "RunServices". DO NOT delete that one.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Don" <dmcglynn@alltel.net> wrote in message
    > I'm confused with the language being used in the newsgroups about
    whether or
    > not 891711 is supposed to show in STARTUP as a checked item and if it
    should
    > show listed in ctrl-alt-del.
    >
    > I'm using W98SE and had installed the original which caused me
    problems so I
    > uninstalled it. It showed in STARTUP and I was under the impression
    it
    > wasn't;t supposed to...now the new one shows there also. Is that OK?
    >
    > Also, how do I get rid of the old unchecked 891711 line item still in
    > STARTUP?
    >
    > Don

    It still will be in MSConfig as a Startup Item. It will no longer show
    up at Ctrl-Alt-Del. However, it will STILL be running in the background,
    as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Running Tasks".
    BUT it does seem to be working now!

    To get rid of the unchecked KB891711 in MSConfig...

    If you have an item in "MSConfig, Startup tab" duplicated, but one is
    checked & the other(s) are not, check them all & click "Apply, OK". It
    will ask that you reboot. Answer "No". You will be left with just one,
    if they were true duplicates. "Then you should either uninstall the
    programs you don't want loaded or use their setup/config programs to
    disable the parts you don't want loaded", says Richard G. Harper (MVP
    MPS-D). But if it doesn't work, or you have an unchecked one without a
    duplicate, then...

    MSConfig keeps it in Startup, just in case you want to check it again.
    It has not been loaded to run, as Ctrl-Alt-Del shows. It has been moved
    to a Minus (-) Key in the Registry. To remove it from the Registry, you
    may navigate to the Key, and delete the entry under it. That will also
    remove it from MSConfig Startup, where you will no longer be able to
    check it. It's probably under one of these Keys:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    -
    ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".

    Also here:
    "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Disabled Startup Items"
    "START, Run, Win.ini". Delete any 'norun' entries under the [Windows]
    section.

    You would navigate to each key, by clicking the plus signs in the left
    pane. When you see "Run-", click it and look in the right pane, for what
    looks like the one your looking for. R-Clk it in the right pane and
    select "delete". However, first: "Registry menu, Export Registry File".
    This will create a .reg file of that Minus Key, which you may run (by
    clicking) to undo the delete you are about to do. All of that can more
    easily be done with
    http://www.pcmag.com/ ' RegEdit+, which has a customizable "Favorites"
    list, which includes those Minus Keys. It also has automatic "undo".
    Registry Detective is another worthy program freely downloadable there.
    StartupCop may really be what you need, also there.

    Watch out, keep the LoadPowerProfiles, and, I guess, any virus scanner
    duplicates.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Don" <dmcglynn@alltel.net> wrote in message
    | I'm confused with the language being used in the newsgroups about
    whether or
    | not 891711 is supposed to show in STARTUP as a checked item and if it
    should
    | show listed in ctrl-alt-del.
    |
    | I'm using W98SE and had installed the original which caused me
    problems so I
    | uninstalled it. It showed in STARTUP and I was under the impression
    it
    | wasn't;t supposed to...now the new one shows there also. Is that OK?
    |
    | Also, how do I get rid of the old unchecked 891711 line item still in
    | STARTUP?
    |
    | Don

    The old one also was in HKLM Runservices...

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService
    s]
    "KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

    So...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    -
    ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".

    ....is where to look. Or, do the "check them both" trick.

    --
    | This is a Registry fix, so if you are not familiar with REGEDIT and
    | Registry editing in general, please post back for further advice.
    |
    | Run REGEDIT and look for the following key:
    |
    | HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    |
    | Note the -minus sign in that Key name. There should be a value in that
    | Key named "KB891711.exe". Right-click it and Delete.
    |
    | DO NOT delete any values other than that specific one, in that
    specific
    | Key. The new version of KB891711 looks the same, but is located in an
    | adjacent Key named "RunServices". DO NOT delete that one.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "Don" <dmcglynn@alltel.net> wrote in message
    | > I'm confused with the language being used in the newsgroups about
    | whether or
    | > not 891711 is supposed to show in STARTUP as a checked item and if
    it
    | should
    | > show listed in ctrl-alt-del.
    | >
    | > I'm using W98SE and had installed the original which caused me
    | problems so I
    | > uninstalled it. It showed in STARTUP and I was under the impression
    | it
    | > wasn't;t supposed to...now the new one shows there also. Is that OK?
    | >
    | > Also, how do I get rid of the old unchecked 891711 line item still
    in
    | > STARTUP?
    | >
    | > Don

Newsgroup Microsoft Windows