Floppy Drive troubles

My floppy drive has worked fine but now when I try to access a disk I get an
error message that says "A:\ is not accessible. The system cannot read from
the specified device." I tried to remove the drives and the controllers and
rebooted but it still comes up this same message. When I tried to do a
scandisk, it says that there are errors but that scandisk will repair them
later. Then it begins to scans but seems to lock up and doesn't finish the
scan nor does it fix the errors! I'm clueless!! Any ideal how I can get
this resolved?
Thanks!

"Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:DF7D7A18-A850-4163-A517-E47F58BEEFB5@microsoft.com...
> My floppy drive has worked fine but now when I try to access a disk I get an
> error message that says "A:\ is not accessible. The system cannot read from
> the specified device." I tried to remove the drives and the controllers and
> rebooted but it still comes up this same message. When I tried to do a
> scandisk, it says that there are errors but that scandisk will repair them
> later. Then it begins to scans but seems to lock up and doesn't finish the
> scan nor does it fix the errors! I'm clueless!! Any ideal how I can get
> this resolved?

Tried the floppy(s) in another machine? If you know the media is good, try
cleaning the drive's magnetic heads with a cleaner disk. Most office supply
or computer supply stores have them. Run it through a few times if the machine
is old and its never been done.

I don't like the sound of that. I guess, try the Scandisk in a clean
boot scenario (with minimal other apps running)...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
(When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:DF7D7A18-A850-4163-A517-E47F58BEEFB5@microsoft.com...
| My floppy drive has worked fine but now when I try to access a disk I
get an
| error message that says "A:\ is not accessible. The system cannot
read from
| the specified device." I tried to remove the drives and the
controllers and
| rebooted but it still comes up this same message. When I tried to do
| scandisk, it says that there are errors but that scandisk will repair
them
| later. Then it begins to scans but seems to lock up and doesn't
finish the
| scan nor does it fix the errors! I'm clueless!! Any ideal how I can
get
| this resolved?
| Thanks!

had bad floppy drive. tried media in another machine. floppys were fine! at
first i thought i had a box of defective floppys. i received various errors,
lock ups & crashes that i couldn't imagine from a bad floppy drive. i
believe it broke when a program tried to access it & the drive was empty.
much noise after that.

solution: i called dell. my machine xpst-450, from oct 1999, desktop. they
sent me an exact replacement. fits inside case, no outer face plate. $28.00
including shipping. received in 3 days. didn't even know they were
cleanable. when dell said $19.95 + shipping, i figured worth it.
thank you, len kiesling

> [...]
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:DF7D7A18-A850-4163-A517-E47F58BEEFB5@microsoft.com...
> | My floppy drive has worked fine but now when I try to access a disk I
> get an
> | error message that says "A:\ is not accessible. The system cannot
> read from
> | the specified device." I tried to remove the drives and the
> controllers and
> | rebooted but it still comes up this same message. When I tried to do
> | scandisk, it says that there are errors but that scandisk will repair
> them
> | later. Then it begins to scans but seems to lock up and doesn't
> finish the
> | scan nor does it fix the errors! I'm clueless!! Any ideal how I can

Ah, I see. Little bit 77 must have been Scandisk-ing the floppy. So,
ignore my post which is for the hard drive obviously.

Dell did well by you, Kiesling.

--
"Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net> wrote in
message news:uAQTnlHQFHA.648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| had bad floppy drive. tried media in another machine. floppys were
fine! at
| first i thought i had a box of defective floppys. i received various
errors,
| lock ups & crashes that i couldn't imagine from a bad floppy drive. i
| believe it broke when a program tried to access it & the drive was
empty.
| much noise after that.
|
| solution: i called dell. my machine xpst-450, from oct 1999, desktop.
they
| sent me an exact replacement. fits inside case, no outer face plate.
$28.00
| including shipping. received in 3 days. didn't even know they were
| cleanable. when dell said $19.95 + shipping, i figured worth it.
| thank you, len kiesling

....snip

Well I've tried everything and it still won't work! Someone here suggested
to someone else that they try another floppy drive; problem with that (for
me) is that Compaq didn't make their Presario 5185 to accept generic hard
drives and now that they have been bought out by HP, it's hard to find these
floppy drives! I was fortunate to find "this" one and now this problem! I
don't know what else to try!
Thanks for all your help!

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:DF7D7A18-A850-4163-A517-E47F58BEEFB5@microsoft.com...
> | My floppy drive has worked fine but now when I try to access a disk I
> get an
> | error message that says "A:\ is not accessible. The system cannot
> read from
> | the specified device." I tried to remove the drives and the
> controllers and
> | rebooted but it still comes up this same message. When I tried to do
> | scandisk, it says that there are errors but that scandisk will repair
> them
> | later. Then it begins to scans but seems to lock up and doesn't
> finish the
> | scan nor does it fix the errors! I'm clueless!! Any ideal how I can

i went to dell, after i looked at the replacements-all with face plates. my
dell would accept an after market unit, but i would have to remove a blank
in the front panel of the case. i recently added an external floppy, usb
wired, to my work computer. works fine. i like floppies.
thank you, len kiesling

> [...]
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:DF7D7A18-A850-4163-A517-E47F58BEEFB5@microsoft.com...
> > | My floppy drive has worked fine but now when I try to access a disk I
> > get an
> > | error message that says "A:\ is not accessible. The system cannot
> > read from
> > | the specified device." I tried to remove the drives and the
> > controllers and
> > | rebooted but it still comes up this same message. When I tried to do
> > | scandisk, it says that there are errors but that scandisk will repair
> > them
> > | later. Then it begins to scans but seems to lock up and doesn't
> > finish the
> > | scan nor does it fix the errors! I'm clueless!! Any ideal how I can

I have little/no experience with that. I'd have thought floppy drives to
be interchangeable even in Compaq's. Also, I doubt my own Compaq 7470
has special drivers for the Floppy. But I just don't know.

--
message news:DDFA3496-26C2-4296-B439-6B15525ECBCD@microsoft.com...
| Well I've tried everything and it still won't work! Someone here
suggested
| to someone else that they try another floppy drive; problem with that
(for
| me) is that Compaq didn't make their Presario 5185 to accept generic
hard
| drives and now that they have been bought out by HP, it's hard to find
these
| floppy drives! I was fortunate to find "this" one and now this
problem! I
| don't know what else to try!
| Thanks for all your help!
|
| "PCR" wrote:
....snip

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:10:02 -0700, "Little bit 77"
<littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well I've tried everything and it still won't work! Someone here suggested
>to someone else that they try another floppy drive; problem with that (for
>me) is that Compaq didn't make their Presario 5185 to accept generic hard
>drives and now that they have been bought out by HP, it's hard to find these
>floppy drives! I was fortunate to find "this" one and now this problem! I
>don't know what else to try!
>Thanks for all your help!
[snip bottom quotes]

I searched HP for "Presario 5185" and found this:

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Floppy Drive Troubleshooting
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93124&cc=us&docname=bph07156

or: http://tinyurl.com/9v25h

I have a Gateway. Some months ago my floppy had the same symptoms you
describe. I bought a Sony drive at Office Depot for ~$25, installed
it, and problem solved. I'm not familiar with Compaqs. Why can't you
just install a new floppy drive? What does HP customer support say?

--
Luke

I went to that site and did all that it said and it still didn't work! The
problem with the Compaq 5185 (1999 edition) is that the shape of the front of
the cpu is weird! lol It sticks out and therefore the floppy drive has an
extended button! I bought a generic floppy and went to install it and it
sits so far back into the machine that you'd have to use a screwdriver to
poke through the opening to push the eject button! lol I've called Compaq and
some of my local dealers and they all said that a generic would not fit in
(duh! after the fact!) (the former Compaq company I guess decided that this
was a way to keep all the business to themselves!!) Thankfully HP has
changed that issue for the new Compaq owners! I had to buy a new
floppy..almost $100 bucks (ouch!!) and then it's worked fine for the past 6
or so months. And it appears to light up and read the floppy but then it
comes up with the "unaccessible" error message! If I didn't have so much
invested in it, it'd be out the door! lol
Thanks for your attempts to help me resolve the problem!

"Luke" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:10:02 -0700, "Little bit 77"
> <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Well I've tried everything and it still won't work! Someone here suggested
> >to someone else that they try another floppy drive; problem with that (for
> >me) is that Compaq didn't make their Presario 5185 to accept generic hard
> >drives and now that they have been bought out by HP, it's hard to find these
> >floppy drives! I was fortunate to find "this" one and now this problem! I
> >don't know what else to try!
> >Thanks for all your help!
> [snip bottom quotes]
>
> I searched HP for "Presario 5185" and found this:
>
> HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Floppy Drive Troubleshooting
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93124&cc=us&docname=bph07156
>
> or: http://tinyurl.com/9v25h
>
> I have a Gateway. Some months ago my floppy had the same symptoms you
> describe. I bought a Sony drive at Office Depot for ~$25, installed
> it, and problem solved. I'm not familiar with Compaqs. Why can't you
> just install a new floppy drive? What does HP customer support say?
>
> --
> Luke

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:35:02 -0700, "Little bit 77"
<littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I went to that site and did all that it said and it still didn't work! The
>problem with the Compaq 5185 (1999 edition) is that the shape of the front of
>the cpu is weird! lol It sticks out and therefore the floppy drive has an
>extended button! I bought a generic floppy and went to install it and it
>sits so far back into the machine that you'd have to use a screwdriver to
>poke through the opening to push the eject button! lol I've called Compaq and
>some of my local dealers and they all said that a generic would not fit in
>(duh! after the fact!) (the former Compaq company I guess decided that this
>was a way to keep all the business to themselves!!) Thankfully HP has
>changed that issue for the new Compaq owners! I had to buy a new
>floppy..almost $100 bucks (ouch!!) and then it's worked fine for the past 6
>or so months. And it appears to light up and read the floppy but then it
>comes up with the "unaccessible" error message! If I didn't have so much
>invested in it, it'd be out the door! lol
>Thanks for your attempts to help me resolve the problem!

So if I understand you, a generic floppy drive works (is compatible),
but is cosmetically and ergonomically "challenged". For the $75 cost
difference between the "correct" drive and a working drive, I wonder
if there isn't a way to jury-rig a $25 drive in the bay so it sits
forward enough to be accessible, even if it's somewhat ugly? Are the
cables long enough, and is there something to attach it to, even if
you have to drill holes for the mounting screws? Would it work to swap
mount the CD/DVD player and floppy drives? The Sony I bought, and
other floppies, come with faceplates to fill a larger bay opening, if
that helps. Or buy an external USB drive?

--
Luke