DirectX question

Hello! I'm posting this here since I can't get to the directx newsgroup
(says service unavailable).

I'm running Win 98. I updated my DirectX to v8 a short while ago. Had some
issues with IE, etc. but they worked themselves out. Don't ask me how... no
clue. Just started working okay again. Anyway, now I've installed a
computer game that requires DirectX 5.0 or higher. Should work, right?
Nope. I get an error message that says the game needs DirectX 5.0 or higher,
so evidently something didn't get updated correctly on my PC when I did the
v8 upgrade. Can anyone assist in this or do I have to wait on tech spt from
the game folks? I'm thinking the game is just checking the version and maybe
that didn't get properly updated. What file holds this info?

Also, as another quick question that may or may not be related. I cannot
invoke dxdiag from the Run command. It says the file is not found. I
thought V8 used this tool.

TIA!
6 answers Last reply
More about directx question

    Run DXDIAG from the Start\Run box. At the bottom of the list of specs on
    the General tab will be:

    DirectX Version:

    What does yours say?

    (Note: The item we want *isn't* at the bottom of the tab, just above the
    buttons. That lists the version of DXDIAG.EXE. The one we want is above
    that, at the bottom of the system information list.)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello! I'm posting this here since I can't get to the directx
    newsgroup
    > (says service unavailable).
    >
    > I'm running Win 98. I updated my DirectX to v8 a short while ago.
    Had some
    > issues with IE, etc. but they worked themselves out. Don't ask me
    how... no
    > clue. Just started working okay again. Anyway, now I've installed a
    > computer game that requires DirectX 5.0 or higher. Should work,
    right?
    > Nope. I get an error message that says the game needs DirectX 5.0 or
    higher,
    > so evidently something didn't get updated correctly on my PC when I
    did the
    > v8 upgrade. Can anyone assist in this or do I have to wait on tech
    spt from
    > the game folks? I'm thinking the game is just checking the version
    and maybe
    > that didn't get properly updated. What file holds this info?
    >
    > Also, as another quick question that may or may not be related. I
    cannot
    > invoke dxdiag from the Run command. It says the file is not found. I
    > thought V8 used this tool.
    >
    > TIA!

    Hi Gary! Thanks for replying.

    When I try to invoke dxdiag from the Start\Run box, I get an error message
    saying that 'Cannot find the file 'dxdiag' (or one of it's components)...'.
    That's what I meant when I said it couldn't find the file in my last
    paragraph. Any ideas?

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Run DXDIAG from the Start\Run box. At the bottom of the list of specs on
    > the General tab will be:
    >
    > DirectX Version:
    >
    > What does yours say?
    >
    > (Note: The item we want *isn't* at the bottom of the tab, just above the
    > buttons. That lists the version of DXDIAG.EXE. The one we want is above
    > that, at the bottom of the system information list.)
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello! I'm posting this here since I can't get to the directx
    > newsgroup
    > > (says service unavailable).
    > >
    > > I'm running Win 98. I updated my DirectX to v8 a short while ago.
    > Had some
    > > issues with IE, etc. but they worked themselves out. Don't ask me
    > how... no
    > > clue. Just started working okay again. Anyway, now I've installed a
    > > computer game that requires DirectX 5.0 or higher. Should work,
    > right?
    > > Nope. I get an error message that says the game needs DirectX 5.0 or
    > higher,
    > > so evidently something didn't get updated correctly on my PC when I
    > did the
    > > v8 upgrade. Can anyone assist in this or do I have to wait on tech
    > spt from
    > > the game folks? I'm thinking the game is just checking the version
    > and maybe
    > > that didn't get properly updated. What file holds this info?
    > >
    > > Also, as another quick question that may or may not be related. I
    > cannot
    > > invoke dxdiag from the Run command. It says the file is not found. I
    > > thought V8 used this tool.
    > >
    > > TIA!

    OK, sorry I missed the intent of that last paragraph.

    Look like the install failed. I'd reinstall it, but first read my "Clean
    Boot" article, link in my signature.

    Hmmm... Can you find DXDIAG.EXE on your system using Find>Files &
    Folders? If so, the problem may be one involving a poorly formed PATH
    statement.

    --

    > Hi Gary! Thanks for replying.
    >
    > When I try to invoke dxdiag from the Start\Run box, I get an error
    message
    > saying that 'Cannot find the file 'dxdiag' (or one of it's
    components)...'.
    > That's what I meant when I said it couldn't find the file in my last
    > paragraph. Any ideas?
    >

    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Run DXDIAG from the Start\Run box. At the bottom of the list of
    specs on
    > > the General tab will be:
    > >
    > > DirectX Version:
    > >
    > > What does yours say?
    > >
    > > (Note: The item we want *isn't* at the bottom of the tab, just above
    the
    > > buttons. That lists the version of DXDIAG.EXE. The one we want is
    above
    > > that, at the bottom of the system information list.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello! I'm posting this here since I can't get to the directx
    > > newsgroup
    > > > (says service unavailable).
    > > >
    > > > I'm running Win 98. I updated my DirectX to v8 a short while ago.
    > > Had some
    > > > issues with IE, etc. but they worked themselves out. Don't ask me
    > > how... no
    > > > clue. Just started working okay again. Anyway, now I've
    installed a
    > > > computer game that requires DirectX 5.0 or higher. Should work,
    > > right?
    > > > Nope. I get an error message that says the game needs DirectX 5.0
    or
    > > higher,
    > > > so evidently something didn't get updated correctly on my PC when
    > > did the
    > > > v8 upgrade. Can anyone assist in this or do I have to wait on
    tech
    > > spt from
    > > > the game folks? I'm thinking the game is just checking the
    version
    > > and maybe
    > > > that didn't get properly updated. What file holds this info?
    > > >
    > > > Also, as another quick question that may or may not be related. I
    > > cannot
    > > > invoke dxdiag from the Run command. It says the file is not
    found. I
    > > > thought V8 used this tool.
    > > >
    > > > TIA!

    Go to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads
    download and install the current version, DirectX 9.0c

    After that, go to Windows Update and see if any other DirectX updates are required.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Gary! Thanks for replying.
    >
    > When I try to invoke dxdiag from the Start\Run box, I get an error message
    > saying that 'Cannot find the file 'dxdiag' (or one of it's components)...'.
    > That's what I meant when I said it couldn't find the file in my last
    > paragraph. Any ideas?
    >

    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Run DXDIAG from the Start\Run box. At the bottom of the list of specs on
    > > the General tab will be:
    > >
    > > DirectX Version:
    > >
    > > What does yours say?
    > >
    > > (Note: The item we want *isn't* at the bottom of the tab, just above the
    > > buttons. That lists the version of DXDIAG.EXE. The one we want is above
    > > that, at the bottom of the system information list.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello! I'm posting this here since I can't get to the directx
    > > newsgroup
    > > > (says service unavailable).
    > > >
    > > > I'm running Win 98. I updated my DirectX to v8 a short while ago.
    > > Had some
    > > > issues with IE, etc. but they worked themselves out. Don't ask me
    > > how... no
    > > > clue. Just started working okay again. Anyway, now I've installed a
    > > > computer game that requires DirectX 5.0 or higher. Should work,
    > > right?
    > > > Nope. I get an error message that says the game needs DirectX 5.0 or
    > > higher,
    > > > so evidently something didn't get updated correctly on my PC when I
    > > did the
    > > > v8 upgrade. Can anyone assist in this or do I have to wait on tech
    > > spt from
    > > > the game folks? I'm thinking the game is just checking the version
    > > and maybe
    > > > that didn't get properly updated. What file holds this info?
    > > >
    > > > Also, as another quick question that may or may not be related. I
    > > cannot
    > > > invoke dxdiag from the Run command. It says the file is not found. I
    > > > thought V8 used this tool.
    > > >
    > > > TIA!

    Worked like a champ! Thanks so much!

    "glee" wrote:

    > Go to:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads
    > download and install the current version, DirectX 9.0c
    >
    > After that, go to Windows Update and see if any other DirectX updates are required.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Gary! Thanks for replying.
    > >
    > > When I try to invoke dxdiag from the Start\Run box, I get an error message
    > > saying that 'Cannot find the file 'dxdiag' (or one of it's components)...'.
    > > That's what I meant when I said it couldn't find the file in my last
    > > paragraph. Any ideas?
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Run DXDIAG from the Start\Run box. At the bottom of the list of specs on
    > > > the General tab will be:
    > > >
    > > > DirectX Version:
    > > >
    > > > What does yours say?
    > > >
    > > > (Note: The item we want *isn't* at the bottom of the tab, just above the
    > > > buttons. That lists the version of DXDIAG.EXE. The one we want is above
    > > > that, at the bottom of the system information list.)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > > >
    > > > "dunkafife" <dunkafife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > newsgroup

    > > > Had some
    > > > how... no
    > > > right?
    > > > higher,
    > > > did the
    > > > spt from
    > > > and maybe

    > > > cannot

    I just installed 9.0c and it fixed the problem. I did print off your paper
    and found it very helpful. Thanks!

Games Directx Windows