Annoying offset on startup screen.

I have a Compaq Presario 5630 with Win98(not se) About 6 months ago,
the start up screen jumped way to the left. As windows was not
affected, I just said "minor glitch". When I tried to use DOS, the
first dozen letters in the lines are gone. It's not the monitor
controls. Tried that. Is there a control for this that I can access?

HAGGIS

"Wryly Post" <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Presario 5630 with Win98(not se) About 6 months ago,
> the start up screen jumped way to the left. As windows was not
> affected, I just said "minor glitch". When I tried to use DOS, the
> first dozen letters in the lines are gone. It's not the monitor
> controls. Tried that. Is there a control for this that I can access?

you can try different refresh rates for your video adapter (control
panel>display )

if it happened "suddenly" , your monitor may have a bad capacitor causing
the screen to go beyond the ability of the monitor controls to compensate

>if it happened "suddenly" , your monitor may have a bad capacitor causing
>the screen to go beyond the ability of the monitor controls to compensate

Don't think so, It's just the DOS controled screen. Windows comes up
square, true, and stable.

> >if it happened "suddenly" , your monitor may have a bad capacitor causing
>>the screen to go beyond the ability of the monitor controls to compensate
>
> Don't think so, It's just the DOS controled screen. Windows comes up
> square, true, and stable.

DOS booting straight to command prompt or within a windows "DOS window" ?

> DOS booting straight to command prompt

that is strange that you cannot adjust the monitor controls to fix that
.....are there any adjust holes on the back of the monitor?

it still suggests to me that there is a monitor problem...have you tried
reseating the video card and checking cables ?

>are there any adjust holes on the back of the monitor?

Negative on the adjustments in the rear. It's a 19 inch NEC.

>have you tried
>reseating the video card and checking cables ?

Jiggled the cables around months ago haven't gone into the
box. Check back tomorrow. I'll swap the monitor. However,
I can see the edges of the viewing window, and they are straight
and centered, and under control of the normal adjustments.
It's just the startup & DOS that are off center, Way off to the left.

I had that problem with an IBM G94 monitor and the only fix was to adjust the
monitor using it's adjustment controls while in DOS. The problem then had to be
re-aligned in Windows. One thing I never tried was setting the resolution
higher, but it may be possible. I now use a NEC AccuSyncLCD92V which has
automatic alignment.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"Wryly Post" <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Presario 5630 with Win98(not se) About 6 months ago,
> the start up screen jumped way to the left. As windows was not
> affected, I just said "minor glitch". When I tried to use DOS, the
> first dozen letters in the lines are gone. It's not the monitor
> controls. Tried that. Is there a control for this that I can access?

A boot directly to DOS goes through Config.sys & Autoexec.bat. I'm sure
they can do weird things. So...

"START button, Run, SysEdit", & post those two files.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

| >are there any adjust holes on the back of the monitor?
|
| Negative on the adjustments in the rear. It's a 19 inch NEC.
|
| >have you tried
| >reseating the video card and checking cables ?
|
| Jiggled the cables around months ago haven't gone into the
| box. Check back tomorrow. I'll swap the monitor. However,
| I can see the edges of the viewing window, and they are straight
| and centered, and under control of the normal adjustments.
| It's just the startup & DOS that are off center, Way off to the left.

Can you adjust it using the monitor controls? If so, you may need to make
the adjustment then tell the monitor to remember it. A digital monitor
associates each set of screen position settings with each display mode - it
seems that your monitor has forgotten your settings for whatever mode DOS
uses, and has reverted to a default.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Wryly Post" <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Presario 5630 with Win98(not se) About 6 months ago,
> the start up screen jumped way to the left. As windows was not
> affected, I just said "minor glitch". When I tried to use DOS, the
> first dozen letters in the lines are gone. It's not the monitor
> controls. Tried that. Is there a control for this that I can access?

>Can you adjust it using the monitor controls?

No! I can move the rectangle the text is in around normally,
but the text stays the same. way off to the left.

Is there a scroll bar along the bottom? What happens if you make the window
wider?

Try selecting a different DOS font.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> >Can you adjust it using the monitor controls?
>
> No! I can move the rectangle the text is in around normally,
> but the text stays the same. way off to the left.

I believe the OP's problem is in Pure DOS, not windows DOS. From an earlier
response:
<quote>
DOS booting straight to command prompt.
</quote>

--

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> Is there a scroll bar along the bottom? What happens if you make the window
> wider?
>
> Try selecting a different DOS font.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Wryly Post" <act1seen2hsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> >Can you adjust it using the monitor controls?
>>
>> No! I can move the rectangle the text is in around normally,
>> but the text stays the same. way off to the left.

>Is there a scroll bar along the bottom?
No scroll bar.

> What happens if you make the window wider?
The text just stretches also.

>Try selecting a different DOS font

Hard thing to do when you can't see the first dozen letters in the
command lines.

The Win98 logo on startup is way off to the left also

>> What happens if you make the window wider?
> The text just stretches also.

Try decreasing the horizontal width to the point where you see both side edges,
center the visible horizontal and then increase the horizontal.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

That's what I thought, but he says he "can move the rectangle the text is in
around normally", so I assume he's referring to a DOS window.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>I believe the OP's problem is in Pure DOS, not windows DOS. From an earlier
>response:
> <quote>
> DOS booting straight to command prompt.
> </quote>

Don't you just love "appearing" conflicts? [| 8 o }

Wryly, Please help us help you by letting us know exactly which DOS you're
mentioning.

Boot to DOS with 98 boot disk.
Power up to the boot menu and select Command Prompt Only. ( Pure DOS )
While in Windows, click Start > Shutdown > Boot To DOS.
While in Windows, click Start > Run, type in: command and press Enter or click
Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. ( Or wherever it may be in the
Start menu )

--

> That's what I thought, but he says he "can move the rectangle the text is in
> around normally", so I assume he's referring to a DOS window.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>I believe the OP's problem is in Pure DOS, not windows DOS. From an earlier
>>response:
>> <quote>
>> DOS booting straight to command prompt.
>> </quote>

Nothing I do with the monitor controls has any effect on the text
offset.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Please start a new post in this 98 general newsgroup and I will see what I
and Microsoft can do for you but do not expect too much because I am swamped
with work at Microsoft and Target Corporation.

"Wryly Post" wrote:

> Nothing I do with the monitor controls has any effect on the text
> offset.

Right! It may take a couple of days to digest all this.
What I really wanted was ' go into filexxx, and type yyy',
but it looks like that's not going to happen.
Now I'm stuck in http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm
Probably for a couple of days. My time for digesting all this
is limited.
One other thing: Typing ' MODE 40' , to get fat letters,
I am able to at least read the file types(.txt .exe etc.)
The only way I can think to show that I see, is to photograph
the screen, and send it as an attachment.

Do not post an attachment unless requested by someone that's helping asks.
Attachments are frowned upon and many won't even open one.

--

> Right! It may take a couple of days to digest all this.
> What I really wanted was ' go into filexxx, and type yyy',
> but it looks like that's not going to happen.
> Now I'm stuck in http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm
> Probably for a couple of days. My time for digesting all this
> is limited.
> One other thing: Typing ' MODE 40' , to get fat letters,
> I am able to at least read the file types(.txt .exe etc.)
> The only way I can think to show that I see, is to photograph
> the screen, and send it as an attachment.

>If the computer has a video card, you might try removing and
>reseating it.

This has been suggested before, and I haven't done it yet.
The last time I was in the box was 4 years ago, to vacuum
out dust. It has been very reliable and has had nary a problem
in 7 years of constant use. Maybe I was just over due.

I would recommend *against* vacuuming dust from inside your computer.
You might vacuum off something, like jumpers, that would leave you in
dire straits. It also has the tendency to pull the nozzle into whatever
you're vacuuming, and that, too, can have negative effects.

On the other hand, I *do* use the exhaust from a canister vacuum to blow
out dust, outside the house and with a *lot* of care. Make sure you have
a clean bag and filters installed, though. Along with gently blowing
dirt away, I use a fine, 1" natural bristle paint brush to dust with.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User