Critical Updates?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

In the news today it was announced that all Windows OS's, back to W98, need
critical security updates installed.
Going to the Microsoft site, I don't see any updates for W98 - they all seem to
be for XP, ME, 2000 etc.

Any suggestions?

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

John <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in

> In the news today it was announced that all Windows OS's, back to W98,
> need critical security updates installed.
> Going to the Microsoft site, I don't see any updates for W98 - they all
> seem to be for XP, ME, 2000 etc.
>
> Any suggestions?

Did you go to WindowsUpdate? There was an update there for me.

There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued update.)

Here's the whole list for yesterday:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx

You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> In the news today it was announced that all Windows OS's, back to W98,
need
> critical security updates installed.
> Going to the Microsoft site, I don't see any updates for W98 - they
all seem to
> be for XP, ME, 2000 etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Here we go again.

Thanks for posting the information pages.
Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.

I don't see it on any of the pages.
And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".

Any help would be much appreciated.

darkrats

> There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued update.)
>
> Here's the whole list for yesterday:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
>
> You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > In the news today it was announced that all Windows OS's, back to W98,
> need
> > critical security updates installed.
> > Going to the Microsoft site, I don't see any updates for W98 - they
> all seem to
> > be for XP, ME, 2000 etc.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > John <><
> >
> > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

How about the Windows Updates Catalog?
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Here we go again.
>
> Thanks for posting the information pages.
> Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.
>
> I don't see it on any of the pages.
> And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> darkrats

> > There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued
update.)

> > Here's the whole list for yesterday:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
> >
> > You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > In the news today it was announced that all Windows OS's, back to
W98,
> > need
> > > critical security updates installed.
> > > Going to the Microsoft site, I don't see any updates for W98 -
they
> > all seem to
> > > be for XP, ME, 2000 etc.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > John <><
> > >
> > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I still do not know why you dislike using Windows Update, darkrats. The
advantages of Windows Update are that it is targetted to each user's machine.
2. It helps Microsoft release patches in a secure arena since everyone wants
to destroy people's computers with false patches -- eg false security
newsletters, false downloads, downloads of Adaware SE that contain a 2.5 Mini
Keylogger that happened to me from download.com when my XP SP 2 was hacked,
etc.
3. It is so kind of Microsoft to realize that their is a critical need for
98SE in the marketplace 4. Longhorn should be released in 2007 and expect
some surprises that no one but Bill Gates himself knows 5. Bye and have a
great rest of the week

Sincerely, Dan -- posted to the unknown Alias of "darkrats" a first name
would be nice since it is really hard to know someone named darkrats and I
always liked the light better than the dark although the darkness allows me
to sleep well. Have a nice life and be seeing you darkrats or whoever/many
people or just one individual you are -------- and the million dollar
question for me to you is what is darkrats first name <???>

"darkrats" wrote:

> Here we go again.
>
> Thanks for posting the information pages.
> Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.
>
> I don't see it on any of the pages.
> And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> darkrats

> > There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued update.)
> >
> > Here's the whole list for yesterday:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
> >
> > You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > In the news today it was announced that all Windows OS's, back to W98,
> > need
> > > critical security updates installed.
> > > Going to the Microsoft site, I don't see any updates for W98 - they
> > all seem to
> > > be for XP, ME, 2000 etc.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > John <><
> > >
> > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks, Gary!

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:27:23 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

>There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued update.)
>
>Here's the whole list for yesterday:
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
>
>You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Note that MS05-002 (KB891711) *doesn't* appear on that list, because it
was a re-issued Update and not part of the same workflow (word has it
that PSS wasn't absolutely sure until the last minute that it would go
live when it did.)

This occasionally occurs with other updates, too, which is one of the
reasons using Windows Updates is so much more preferable to any other
method (for Win99/98SE/ME systems, at least.)

--

> Thanks, Gary!
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:27:23 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> >There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued
update.)

> >Here's the whole list for yesterday:
> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
> >
> >You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
>

> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Exactly, Gary -- you mean 98 not 99 -- shall everyone party like its 1999 --
sorry I could not resist the humor and I hope you do not see me as a lessor
person. You are one of the great MVP's imo Gary and I can see you continuing
to live in Alex Nichol's shoes. <grin, smile, wink> LOL!!

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Note that MS05-002 (KB891711) *doesn't* appear on that list, because it
> was a re-issued Update and not part of the same workflow (word has it
> that PSS wasn't absolutely sure until the last minute that it would go
> live when it did.)
>
> This occasionally occurs with other updates, too, which is one of the
> reasons using Windows Updates is so much more preferable to any other
> method (for Win99/98SE/ME systems, at least.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Gary!
> >
> > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:27:23 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued
> update.)
> > >
> > >Here's the whole list for yesterday:
> > >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
> > >
> > >You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
> >

> > John <><
> >
> > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

I'll probably get it the same way I got the last one. Wait until enough
people download it, and then retrieve it from someone's TIF folder.

darkrats

> I still do not know why you dislike using Windows Update, darkrats. The
> advantages of Windows Update are that it is targetted to each user's
machine.
> 2. It helps Microsoft release patches in a secure arena since everyone
wants
> to destroy people's computers with false patches -- eg false security
> newsletters, false downloads, downloads of Adaware SE that contain a 2.5
Mini
> Keylogger that happened to me from download.com when my XP SP 2 was
hacked,
> etc.
> 3. It is so kind of Microsoft to realize that their is a critical need
for
> 98SE in the marketplace 4. Longhorn should be released in 2007 and expect
> some surprises that no one but Bill Gates himself knows 5. Bye and have a
> great rest of the week
>
> Sincerely, Dan -- posted to the unknown Alias of "darkrats" a first name
> would be nice since it is really hard to know someone named darkrats and I
> always liked the light better than the dark although the darkness allows
me
> to sleep well. Have a nice life and be seeing you darkrats or
whoever/many
> people or just one individual you are -------- and the million dollar
> question for me to you is what is darkrats first name <???>
>
> "darkrats" wrote:
>
> > Here we go again.
> >
> > Thanks for posting the information pages.
> > Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.
> >
> > I don't see it on any of the pages.
> > And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > darkrats
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued
update.)

> > > Here's the whole list for yesterday:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
> > >
> > > You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
W98,
> > > need
> > > all seem to

That didn't take long.
Found and installed on my system.

darkrats

> I'll probably get it the same way I got the last one. Wait until enough
> people download it, and then retrieve it from someone's TIF folder.
>
> darkrats
>

> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I still do not know why you dislike using Windows Update, darkrats. The
> > advantages of Windows Update are that it is targetted to each user's
> machine.
> > 2. It helps Microsoft release patches in a secure arena since everyone
> wants
> > to destroy people's computers with false patches -- eg false security
> > newsletters, false downloads, downloads of Adaware SE that contain a 2.5
> Mini
> > Keylogger that happened to me from download.com when my XP SP 2 was
> hacked,
> > etc.
> > 3. It is so kind of Microsoft to realize that their is a critical need
> for
> > 98SE in the marketplace 4. Longhorn should be released in 2007 and
expect
> > some surprises that no one but Bill Gates himself knows 5. Bye and have
> > great rest of the week
> >
> > Sincerely, Dan -- posted to the unknown Alias of "darkrats" a first
name
> > would be nice since it is really hard to know someone named darkrats and
> > always liked the light better than the dark although the darkness allows
> me
> > to sleep well. Have a nice life and be seeing you darkrats or
> whoever/many
> > people or just one individual you are -------- and the million dollar
> > question for me to you is what is darkrats first name <???>
> >
> > "darkrats" wrote:
> >
> > > Here we go again.
> > >
> > > Thanks for posting the information pages.
> > > Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.
> > >
> > > I don't see it on any of the pages.
> > > And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".
> > >
> > > Any help would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > > darkrats
> > >

> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> update.)

> W98,

Please could someone post the link
for then latest patch for english IE6.SP1 that I
use with slovenian version of Windows
98 SE that unfortunatelly does not support
Windows Update any more.

Roman

> How about the Windows Updates Catalog?
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Roman,

I'm sorry if I seem dense, but does your OS also not support Windows
Updates Catalog? This is not something that is clear to me. Does this
link not function? Does it not provide any updates for Win98/98SE? I'm
trying to understand the full nature of your problem.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

I cannot find any such download as you ask for. Only the version for IE
5.5 in Windows ME.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Please could someone post the link
> for then latest patch for english IE6.SP1 that I
> use with slovenian version of Windows
> 98 SE that unfortunatelly does not support
> Windows Update any more.
>
> Roman

> > How about the Windows Updates Catalog?
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Never mind. I can see now that Slovenian updates are not offered at
Windows Updates Catalog.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Please could someone post the link
> for then latest patch for english IE6.SP1 that I
> use with slovenian version of Windows
> 98 SE that unfortunatelly does not support
> Windows Update any more.
>
> Roman

> > How about the Windows Updates Catalog?
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

My plan is to avoid ME , XP etc. and go straight to longhorn when it comes
out. Will I be able to survive until then on 98SE?

Dan wrote:
> I still do not know why you dislike using Windows Update, darkrats.
> The advantages of Windows Update are that it is targetted to each
> user's machine.
> 2. It helps Microsoft release patches in a secure arena since
> everyone wants to destroy people's computers with false patches -- eg
> false security newsletters, false downloads, downloads of Adaware SE
> that contain a 2.5 Mini Keylogger that happened to me from
> download.com when my XP SP 2 was hacked, etc.
> 3. It is so kind of Microsoft to realize that their is a critical
> need for 98SE in the marketplace 4. Longhorn should be released in
> 2007 and expect some surprises that no one but Bill Gates himself
> knows 5. Bye and have a great rest of the week
>
> Sincerely, Dan -- posted to the unknown Alias of "darkrats" a first
> name would be nice since it is really hard to know someone named
> darkrats and I always liked the light better than the dark although
> the darkness allows me to sleep well. Have a nice life and be seeing
> you darkrats or whoever/many people or just one individual you are
> -------- and the million dollar question for me to you is what is
> darkrats first name <???>
>
> "darkrats" wrote:
>
>> Here we go again.
>>
>> Thanks for posting the information pages.
>> Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.
>>
>> I don't see it on any of the pages.
>> And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> darkrats
>>

>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> There are at least two for Win98/98SE:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890923
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711 (this is a re-issued
>>> update.)
>>>
>>> Here's the whole list for yesterday:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-apr.mspx
>>>
>>> You *should* use Windows Updates to get your patches, though.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message

Hello,

"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
> My plan is to avoid ME , XP etc. and go straight to longhorn when it comes
> out. Will I be able to survive until then on 98SE?

I don't know if upgrade from Win98SE to Longhorn will be supported.
When I wanted to install Longhorn (test version) from Windows 98 SE
environment the installation complained. Then I started setup from
Windows XP and everything went OK (I installed it on empty partition).

Roman

No, you will not likely be able to decently maintain a Windows 98/98SE
or ME system until "Longhorn" is released. I strongly suggest you
migrate to Windows XP ASAP.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
> My plan is to avoid ME , XP etc. and go straight to longhorn when it
comes
> out. Will I be able to survive until then on 98SE?
>
> Dan wrote:
> > I still do not know why you dislike using Windows Update, darkrats.
> > The advantages of Windows Update are that it is targetted to each
> > user's machine.
> > 2. It helps Microsoft release patches in a secure arena since
> > everyone wants to destroy people's computers with false patches --
eg
> > false security newsletters, false downloads, downloads of Adaware SE
> > that contain a 2.5 Mini Keylogger that happened to me from
> > download.com when my XP SP 2 was hacked, etc.
> > 3. It is so kind of Microsoft to realize that their is a critical
> > need for 98SE in the marketplace 4. Longhorn should be released in
> > 2007 and expect some surprises that no one but Bill Gates himself
> > knows 5. Bye and have a great rest of the week
> >
> > Sincerely, Dan -- posted to the unknown Alias of "darkrats" a first
> > name would be nice since it is really hard to know someone named
> > darkrats and I always liked the light better than the dark although
> > the darkness allows me to sleep well. Have a nice life and be
seeing
> > you darkrats or whoever/many people or just one individual you are
> > -------- and the million dollar question for me to you is what is
> > darkrats first name <???>
> >
> > "darkrats" wrote:
> >
> >> Here we go again.
> >>
> >> Thanks for posting the information pages.
> >> Can you please post a direct link to the KB890923 item for 98/ME.
> >>
> >> I don't see it on any of the pages.
> >> And I would prefer not to use "Windows Update".
> >>
> >> Any help would be much appreciated.
> >>
> >> darkrats
> >>

> >> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

You mean I am doomed after all? Gimme that crystal ball, you thief!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> No, you will not likely be able to decently maintain a Windows 98/98SE
> or ME system until "Longhorn" is released. I strongly suggest you
> migrate to Windows XP ASAP.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
>> My plan is to avoid ME , XP etc. and go straight to longhorn when it
comes
>> out. Will I be able to survive until then on 98SE?
>>
>> Dan wrote:
>>> I still do not know why you dislike using Windows Update, darkrats.
>>> The advantages of Windows Update are that it is targetted to each
>>> user's machine.
>>> 2. It helps Microsoft release patches in a secure arena since
>>> everyone wants to destroy people's computers with false patches -- eg
>>> false security newsletters, false downloads, downloads of Adaware SE
>>> that contain a 2.5 Mini Keylogger that happened to me from
>>> download.com when my XP SP 2 was hacked, etc.
>>> 3. It is so kind of Microsoft to realize that their is a critical
>>> need for 98SE in the marketplace 4. Longhorn should be released in
>>> 2007 and expect some surprises that no one but Bill Gates himself
>>> knows 5. Bye and have a great rest of the week
>>>
>>> Sincerely, Dan -- posted to the unknown Alias of "darkrats" a first
>>> name would be nice since it is really hard to know someone named
>>> darkrats and I always liked the light better than the dark although
>>> the darkness allows me to sleep well. Have a nice life and be seeing
>>> you darkrats or whoever/many people or just one individual you are
>>> -------- and the million dollar question for me to you is what is
>>> darkrats first name <???>

The way things are going, you're going to have a hard time maintaining
*XP* until LH comes out, <eg>!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:43:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

>The way things are going, you're going to have a hard time maintaining
>*XP* until LH comes out, <eg>!

Holy smoke!!!! I just paid $ 150 to buy an 98 to XP upgrade.
Wasted money?
Matter of fact, I still normally use 98 - XP is there only in case I want to
install a program which won't run on 98.

Oh, well . . . . . guess I'm a luddite. . . .(-:

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Depends on how you define "maintaining". :) (you haven't heard me
complaining of any recent BSODs in here, now have ya? LOL)

When is LH expected? Like maybe next year? (I was just curious)

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> The way things are going, you're going to have a hard time maintaining
> *XP* until LH comes out, <eg>!
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> You mean I am doomed after all? Gimme that crystal ball, you thief!
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> No, you will not likely be able to decently maintain a Windows 98/98SE
>>> or ME system until "Longhorn" is released. I strongly suggest you
>>> migrate to Windows XP ASAP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message

Just in case your post wasn't totally in jest...

Windows 98, 98SE and ME will soon relatively worthless for normal,
internet-connected use. Windows XP is the *only* decent next-step for
most current 9x users, at least within the Windows group.

Windows XP *should_be* good for another three to five years. My point
was that, with the way Longhorn development is proceeding, getting it
mainstreamed even by 2010, when XP will most assuredly have reached
untenability, is questionable. Yes, I'm exaggerating by a year or two--I
hope.

--

> Depends on how you define "maintaining". :) (you haven't heard
me
> complaining of any recent BSODs in here, now have ya? LOL)

No, not you particularly. But I *regularly* deal with BSODs in this NG.
Not even counting the recent SNAFU involving KB891711, BSODs and Invalid
Page Faults constitute a major portion of the issues we deal with here.
On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I had to deal with
either of those issues in any normal XP systems that I'm responsible for
(my own isn't normal, because I'm always pushing the envelope well
beyond specs and working betas.)

Just the opposite, my "Little Old Ladies" club, a dozen or so strong,
who regularly called me over the last few years to come fix, maintain or
repair their 98/98SE/ME systems have for the most part migrated to XP,
and aside from initial setup and configuration, I never get calls from
them anymore. The XP issues for which I'm still called mostly involve
user training and fixing things like networking issues, or cleaning up
systems for those who consistently ignore my advice regarding safe hex
practices..

> When is LH expected? Like maybe next year? (I was just curious)

If we're lucky. I doubt I'll be promoting migration to LH before
sometime well into 2007. And *that* is not something I'm counting on.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Just in case your post wasn't totally in jest...
>
> Windows 98, 98SE and ME will soon relatively worthless for normal,
> internet-connected use.

Now just what does that mean? (Prove it, cause I don't believe it).

Let me define "relatively worthless" here: not able to connect and go to web
sites.
In which case I'd say, I'll believe it when I see that actually happen!

> Windows XP is the *only* decent next-step for
> most current 9x users, at least within the Windows group.

Well, I won't deny that, when someone decides it's finally necessary to
upgrade.

> Windows XP *should_be* good for another three to five years. My point
> was that, with the way Longhorn development is proceeding, getting it
> mainstreamed even by 2010, when XP will most assuredly have reached
> untenability, is questionable. Yes, I'm exaggerating by a year or two--I
> hope.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:43:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The way things are going, you're going to have a hard time maintaining
>>> *XP* until LH comes out, <eg>!
>>
>> Holy smoke!!!! I just paid $ 150 to buy an 98 to XP upgrade.
>> Wasted money?
>> Matter of fact, I still normally use 98 - XP is there only in case I want
>> install a program which won't run on 98.
>>
>> Oh, well . . . . . guess I'm a luddite. . . .(-:
>>
>> John <><
>>
>> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
>> with an other monkey's monkey.
>> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Your definition of "relatively worthless" is different from the one that
Gary and I share:

"Windows 98, SE and Me will soon be relatively worthless for
Internet-connected use as the number of exploits they are/will be vulnerable
to will make them a dangerous platform."

If you want to trust your personal data to a Windows 98, SE or Me computer
that can no longer be adequately secured while online, that's your choice.
I consider it to be an unwise one.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm