891711/MS05-002 "fixed" update: *sigh*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely while
starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs were
Mode and uninstalled the update.

Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider trying
to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure out
which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the effectiveness of
the security update?

- Alan
35 answers Last reply
More about 891711 ms05 fixed update sigh
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Yes, it will pretty much completely disable the update if you don't let
    it run. The running task *is* the update. On the other hand, do I read
    you correctly that you start it manually *after* Windows loads?

    If you have the time, could you please try the following t-shooting
    steps?

    Use MSCONFIG to disable everything in the Startup tab *except* KB891711.
    Physically disconnect your internet connection (telephone line or LAN
    line, USB cable, whatever, for safety.) Restart. Does the failure still
    occur? If so, use Safe Mode to recover. If not, then use MSCONFIG to add
    items back in until you find the incompatible item, restarting and
    testing after each new addition.

    Come to think of it, what kind of internet connection do you have?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
    > When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
    > experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely
    while
    > starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs
    were
    Safe
    > Mode and uninstalled the update.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
    > update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider
    trying
    > to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure
    out
    > which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
    > manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the
    effectiveness of
    > the security update?
    >
    > - Alan

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    That's right, I use the desktop shortcut to manually start KB891711 once
    everything else has finished loading; MSINFO then reports that both the EXE
    and the DLL are running.

    And I have a dial-up connection.

    - Alan

    > Yes, it will pretty much completely disable the update if you don't let
    > it run. The running task *is* the update. On the other hand, do I read
    > you correctly that you start it manually *after* Windows loads?
    >
    > If you have the time, could you please try the following t-shooting
    > steps?
    >
    > Use MSCONFIG to disable everything in the Startup tab *except* KB891711.
    > Physically disconnect your internet connection (telephone line or LAN
    > line, USB cable, whatever, for safety.) Restart. Does the failure still
    > occur? If so, use Safe Mode to recover. If not, then use MSCONFIG to add
    > items back in until you find the incompatible item, restarting and
    > testing after each new addition.
    >
    > Come to think of it, what kind of internet connection do you have?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
    >> When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
    >> experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely
    > while
    >> starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs
    > were
    > Safe
    >> Mode and uninstalled the update.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
    >> update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider
    > trying
    >> to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure
    > out
    >> which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the
    >>
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    >> executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
    >> manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the
    > effectiveness of
    >> the security update?
    >>
    >> - Alan

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    > That's right, I use the desktop shortcut to manually start KB891711
    once
    > everything else has finished loading; MSINFO then reports that both
    the EXE
    > and the DLL are running.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    > And I have a dial-up connection.

    That probably rules out internet connection problems (thinking of
    always-on internet connection issues in that were prominent among some
    of the previous version's incompatibilities.) I'd still appreciate it if
    you would do the t-shooting I requested. Yours is the first report I've
    seen of the new version causing any problems, and I'd like to see if we
    can narrow the scope of investigation. I can pass that data on to PSS
    contacts, and also ask if your workaround has any drawbacks.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    This sounds similar to a problem that used to occur in Zone Alarm firewall, when it
    was started as a Service in the RunServices key. Changing how it loaded used to fix
    the problem for Zone Alarm. One would remove the entry to start it from RunServices
    in the Registry, and instead run it from a shortcut in the user's StartUp folder,
    where it would load later in the boot sequence.

    INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179365
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
    > That's right, I use the desktop shortcut to manually start KB891711 once
    > everything else has finished loading; MSINFO then reports that both the EXE
    > and the DLL are running.
    >
    > And I have a dial-up connection.
    >
    > - Alan

    > > Yes, it will pretty much completely disable the update if you don't let
    > > it run. The running task *is* the update. On the other hand, do I read
    > > you correctly that you start it manually *after* Windows loads?
    > >
    > > If you have the time, could you please try the following t-shooting
    > > steps?
    > >
    > > Use MSCONFIG to disable everything in the Startup tab *except* KB891711.
    > > Physically disconnect your internet connection (telephone line or LAN
    > > line, USB cable, whatever, for safety.) Restart. Does the failure still
    > > occur? If so, use Safe Mode to recover. If not, then use MSCONFIG to add
    > > items back in until you find the incompatible item, restarting and
    > > testing after each new addition.
    > >
    > > Come to think of it, what kind of internet connection do you have?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
    > >> experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely
    > > while
    > >> starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs
    > > were
    > > Safe
    > >> Mode and uninstalled the update.
    > >>
    > >> Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
    > >> update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider
    > > trying
    > >> to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure
    > > out
    > >> which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the
    > >>
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > >> executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
    > >> manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the
    > > effectiveness of
    > >> the security update?
    > >>
    > >> - Alan

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > This sounds similar to a problem that used to occur in Zone Alarm firewall, when it
    > was started as a Service in the RunServices key. Changing how it loaded used to fix
    > the problem for Zone Alarm. One would remove the entry to start it from RunServices
    > in the Registry, and instead run it from a shortcut in the user's StartUp folder,
    > where it would load later in the boot sequence.
    >
    > INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179365

    Disabling all my startup programs and enabling them one at a time
    reveals that the culprits are:

    ZoneAlarm Free 3.7.159 (firewall)
    and
    Rain ("CPU cooler")

    (Both of these are relatively old programs.)

    Trying to load ZoneAlarm manually after everything else had finished

    So, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free 4.5.594.000 and the problem went away.

    - Alan
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Excellent! Good to know for the future, too. Thanks for following
    through.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Alan Raskin" <araskin@allstream.net> wrote in message
    > So, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free 4.5.594.000 and the problem went
    away.

    > - Alan
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
    scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes the
    same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
    KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
    occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
    Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original version of
    KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.

    This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week and I
    can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine. I
    post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
    problems that the original caused.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
    non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
    KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing and
    figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
    George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously suspect
    that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
    knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to sea,
    last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
    time.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
    > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes
    the
    > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
    > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
    > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
    > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
    version of
    > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
    >
    > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week
    and I
    > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine.
    > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
    > problems that the original caused.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    "Alan Raskin" <araskin@allstream.net> wrote in message news:%23XfsBrIQFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > glee wrote:
    > > This sounds similar to a problem that used to occur in Zone Alarm firewall, when it
    > > was started as a Service in the RunServices key. Changing how it loaded used to fix
    > > the problem for Zone Alarm. One would remove the entry to start it from RunServices
    > > in the Registry, and instead run it from a shortcut in the user's StartUp folder,
    > > where it would load later in the boot sequence.
    > >
    > > INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup:
    >
    > Disabling all my startup programs and enabling them one at a time
    > reveals that the culprits are:
    >
    > ZoneAlarm Free 3.7.159 (firewall)
    > and
    > Rain ("CPU cooler")
    >
    > (Both of these are relatively old programs.)
    >
    > Trying to load ZoneAlarm manually after everything else had finished
    >
    > So, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free 4.5.594.000 and the problem went away.

    I had the same problem here when I reinstalled EZ firewall - a rebranded Zone Alarm Pro
    also Version 3.7.159. Running ca.exe (the ZAP component that provides the user interface
    / tray icon) while the new KB891711.exe is running still causes a freeze up. The latest ZAF
    was fine (and my ZAP licence must be almost expired), so I'm reinstalling that.

    My other issues (IE fatal error after running A squared update & kb891711 terminating
    when I log off Windows) are cured.

    Regards

    Mel.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    What version EZ Firewall are you running? Current version is 5.1.039.000
    (same for all three, program, engine and driver.)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Mel" <news.spammel@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

    > I had the same problem here when I reinstalled EZ firewall - a
    rebranded Zone Alarm Pro
    > also Version 3.7.159. Running ca.exe (the ZAP component that provides
    the user interface
    > / tray icon) while the new KB891711.exe is running still causes a
    freeze up. The latest ZAF
    > was fine (and my ZAP licence must be almost expired), so I'm
    reinstalling that.

    > My other issues (IE fatal error after running A squared update &
    kb891711 terminating
    > when I log off Windows) are cured.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mel.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=14859
    ......Quote...........
    Full fathom five thy father lies,
    Of his bones are coral made;
    Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    Nothing of him that doth fade,
    But doth suffer a sea-change
    Into something rich and strange.
    Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
    Ding-dong.
    Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.

    William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
    | non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
    | KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing
    and
    | figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
    | George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously
    suspect
    | that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
    | knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to
    sea,
    | last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
    | time.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run
    the
    | > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version
    causes
    | the
    | > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
    | > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD
    always
    | > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
    | > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
    | version of
    | > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
    | >
    | > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a
    week
    | and I
    | > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just
    fine.
    | > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
    | > problems that the original caused.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    <smile>
    ....nice poem PCR !

    ...here's mine for him

    Oneness, by Khalil Gibran

    All things in this creation exist within you;
    and all things in you exist in creation.
    There is no border between you and the closest things,
    and there is no distance between you and the farthest things,
    and all things from the lowest to the loftiest,
    from the smallest to the greatest,
    are within you as equal things.

    In one atom are found all the elements of the earth;
    in one motion of the mind are found the motions
    of all the laws of existence.
    in one drop of water are found the secrets of all the endless oceans;
    in one aspect of you are found all the aspects of existence.

    Rick

    PCR wrote:
    > http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=14859
    > .....Quote...........
    > Full fathom five thy father lies,
    > Of his bones are coral made;
    > Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    > Nothing of him that doth fade,
    > But doth suffer a sea-change
    > Into something rich and strange.
    > Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
    > Ding-dong.
    > Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
    >
    > William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:O4WdKNJQFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > What version EZ Firewall are you running? Current version is 5.1.039.000
    > (same for all three, program, engine and driver.)

    It was actually version 3.7.179 (not 3.7.159 as I originally posted).

    I'm now using ZoneAlarm free 5.5.062.011 without any problems.

    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Mel" <news.spammel@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I had the same problem here when I reinstalled EZ firewall - a
    > rebranded Zone Alarm Pro
    > > also Version 3.7.159. Running ca.exe (the ZAP component that provides
    > the user interface
    > > / tray icon) while the new KB891711.exe is running still causes a
    > freeze up. The latest ZAF
    > > was fine (and my ZAP licence must be almost expired), so I'm
    > reinstalling that.
    > >
    > > My other issues (IE fatal error after running A squared update &
    > kb891711 terminating
    > > when I log off Windows) are cured.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Mel.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than Shakespeare's,
    & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.

    --
    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | <smile>
    | ...nice poem PCR !
    |
    | ..here's mine for him
    |
    | Oneness, by Khalil Gibran
    |
    | All things in this creation exist within you;
    | and all things in you exist in creation.
    | There is no border between you and the closest things,
    | and there is no distance between you and the farthest things,
    | and all things from the lowest to the loftiest,
    | from the smallest to the greatest,
    | are within you as equal things.
    |
    | In one atom are found all the elements of the earth;
    | in one motion of the mind are found the motions
    | of all the laws of existence.
    | in one drop of water are found the secrets of all the endless oceans;
    | in one aspect of you are found all the aspects of existence.
    |
    | Rick
    |

    | PCR wrote:
    | > http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=14859
    | > .....Quote...........
    | > Full fathom five thy father lies,
    | > Of his bones are coral made;
    | > Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    | > Nothing of him that doth fade,
    | > But doth suffer a sea-change
    | > Into something rich and strange.
    | > Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
    | > Ding-dong.
    | > Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
    | >
    | > William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    PCR wrote:
    > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than Shakespeare's,
    > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.

    Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric verses
    esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own right. It's
    all good :)

    nite

    Rick

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
    week with some *great* stories, <g>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > PCR wrote:
    > > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than
    Shakespeare's,
    > > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.
    >
    > Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
    verses
    > esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own right.
    It's
    > all good :)
    >
    > nite
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Yea, Chauvin, I'll agree. Also, let us hope Terhune is not just being
    his normal optimistic self, AND that he doesn't discover Dundat to be
    inside the next earthquake he falls into!

    --
    | OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
    | week with some *great* stories, <g>.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | > PCR wrote:
    | > > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than
    | Shakespeare's,
    | > > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in
    it.

    | > Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
    | verses
    | > esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own
    right.
    | It's
    | > all good :)
    | >
    | > nite
    | >
    | > Rick
    | >

    | > > --
    | > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > > should things get worse after this,
    | > > PCR
    | > > pcrrcp@netzero.net

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Let's hope for the one:

    I don't have a picture of it, but I caught this fish ( extending arms ) while on
    my trip.
    Really, wish I had a picture! I caught this fish ( holding arms fully extended )
    No really, I caught this fish ( still holding arms fully extended )
    No really, I'm telling the truth. I caught this fish ( yet still holding arms
    fully extended )

    This far from the dock! ( arms fully extended )

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    > OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
    > week with some *great* stories, <g>.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> PCR wrote:
    >> > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than
    > Shakespeare's,
    >> > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.
    >>
    >> Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
    > verses
    >> esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own right.
    > It's
    >> all good :)
    >>
    >> nite
    >>
    >> Rick
    >>

    >> > --
    >> > Thanks or Good Luck,
    >> > There may be humor in this post, and,
    >> > Naturally, you will not sue,
    >> > should things get worse after this,
    >> > PCR
    >> > pcrrcp@netzero.net

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Yea, yea, sure-- & not the other way around!

    --
    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    | Let's hope for the one:
    |
    | I don't have a picture of it, but I caught this fish ( extending
    arms ) while on
    | my trip.
    | Really, wish I had a picture! I caught this fish ( holding arms fully
    extended )
    | No really, I caught this fish ( still holding arms fully extended )
    | No really, I'm telling the truth. I caught this fish ( yet still
    holding arms
    | fully extended )
    |
    | This far from the dock! ( arms fully extended )
    |
    | --
    |
    | Brian A. Sesko
    | <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    |

    | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up
    next
    | > week with some *great* stories, <g>.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gary S. Terhune
    | > MS MVP Shell/User
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | >
    | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | > Shakespeare's,
    | >>
    | >> Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
    | > verses
    | >> esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own
    right.
    | > It's
    | >> all good :)
    | >>
    | >> nite
    | >>
    | >> Rick

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    LOL!!!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Let's hope for the one:
    >
    > I don't have a picture of it, but I caught this fish ( extending
    arms ) while on
    > my trip.
    > Really, wish I had a picture! I caught this fish ( holding arms fully
    extended )
    > No really, I caught this fish ( still holding arms fully extended )
    > No really, I'm telling the truth. I caught this fish ( yet still
    holding arms
    > fully extended )
    >
    > This far from the dock! ( arms fully extended )

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    In my laptop the earlier kb891711 update worked fine with 98SE, but
    after installing the latest update, Ixeplorer and some other software's
    didn't work.

    I have now removed kb891711 update and 98SE works fine.

    Seems to me that same problem is in other computer with Window Me.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new version
    of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact details
    (even if in your native language?)

    Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and then
    use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
    interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
    disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to see
    if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing with
    each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are prompt
    the problems.

    Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?

    Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
    appreciated.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Jukka Marttinen" <jukka.newsit@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message
    > In my laptop the earlier kb891711 update worked fine with 98SE, but
    > after installing the latest update, Ixeplorer and some other
    software's
    > didn't work.
    >
    > I have now removed kb891711 update and 98SE works fine.
    >
    > Seems to me that same problem is in other computer with Window Me.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new version
    > of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact details
    > (even if in your native language?)

    I let the Windows update reinstall KB891711 and now it seems to work.

    Earlier i had problem with Ad-Aware SE software. After scanning my
    laptop, i tried to fix the problems with Ad-aware, but i couldn't use
    software with mouse. I couldn't even close the software. Seems that
    problem was with mouse or display drivers (Silicon Motion Lynx3DM).

    With Internet Explorer i had same problem. I couldn't close Iexplorer.

    I tried to switch off the computer, but then came message that there is
    application, which does not response. There wasn't name for that
    application in error message window. I tried to close that application,
    but Windows stopped to response. I had to use reset switch to close laptop.

    Then I used "add/remove software's" function in Control Panel to remove
    the update. After that i removed KB891711 folder in the Windows/system
    folder.

    After reinstalling the update, it seems to work fine. I have to use my
    laptop some time and check, if this same problem comes back.

    > Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and then
    > use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
    > interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
    > disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to see
    > if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing with
    > each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are prompt
    > the problems.
    >
    > Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?

    I don't have Zone Alarm. There is some other applications running
    background. (Including Norman anti virus software.) I will try to switch
    off the other applications, if i still have this problem and check if it
    helps.

    > Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    If i have more information about that, i let you know.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    That's good to hear. Let's hope it was just a one-time, unrelated issue.

    --

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new
    version
    > > of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact
    details
    > > (even if in your native language?)
    >
    > I let the Windows update reinstall KB891711 and now it seems to work.
    >
    > Earlier i had problem with Ad-Aware SE software. After scanning my
    > laptop, i tried to fix the problems with Ad-aware, but i couldn't use
    > software with mouse. I couldn't even close the software. Seems that
    > problem was with mouse or display drivers (Silicon Motion Lynx3DM).
    >
    > With Internet Explorer i had same problem. I couldn't close Iexplorer.
    >
    > I tried to switch off the computer, but then came message that there
    is
    > application, which does not response. There wasn't name for that
    > application in error message window. I tried to close that
    application,
    > but Windows stopped to response. I had to use reset switch to close
    laptop.

    > Then I used "add/remove software's" function in Control Panel to
    remove
    > the update. After that i removed KB891711 folder in the Windows/system
    > folder.
    >
    > After reinstalling the update, it seems to work fine. I have to use my
    > laptop some time and check, if this same problem comes back.
    >

    > > Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and
    then
    > > use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
    > > interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
    > > disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to
    see
    > > if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing
    with
    > > each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are
    prompt
    > > the problems.
    > >
    > > Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?
    >
    > I don't have Zone Alarm. There is some other applications running
    > background. (Including Norman anti virus software.) I will try to
    switch
    > off the other applications, if i still have this problem and check if
    it
    > helps.
    >
    > > Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > >

    > If i have more information about that, i let you know.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Man, that is so sad.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
    > non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
    > KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing and
    > figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
    > George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously suspect
    > that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
    > knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to sea,
    > last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
    > time.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
    > > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes
    > the
    > > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
    > > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
    > > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
    > > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
    > version of
    > > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
    > >
    > > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week
    > and I
    > > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine.
    > > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
    > > problems that the original caused.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Thanks PCR. This brought back memories of me acting in Shakespearean plays.

    :-)

    "PCR" wrote:

    > http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=14859
    > ......Quote...........
    > Full fathom five thy father lies,
    > Of his bones are coral made;
    > Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    > Nothing of him that doth fade,
    > But doth suffer a sea-change
    > Into something rich and strange.
    > Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
    > Ding-dong.
    > Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
    >
    > William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
    > | non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
    > | KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing
    > and
    > | figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
    > | George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously
    > suspect
    > | that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
    > | knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to
    > sea,
    > | last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
    > | time.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > |
    > | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > | > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run
    > the
    > | > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version
    > causes
    > | the
    > | > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
    > | > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD
    > always
    > | > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
    > | > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
    > | version of
    > | > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
    > | >
    > | > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a
    > week
    > | and I
    > | > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just
    > fine.
    > | > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
    > | > problems that the original caused.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    I am glad to finally see PCR and Gary S. Terhune are on speaking terms again.

    :-) Remember, I did indeed post under ArtWilder and it was wrong to lie and
    I am sorry but I feared ID theft and now it has happened to me with the theft
    of my social security card. I became what I was afraid of so from now on I
    now to trust God and fear nothing.

    "PCR" wrote:

    > Yea, Chauvin, I'll agree. Also, let us hope Terhune is not just being
    > his normal optimistic self, AND that he doesn't discover Dundat to be
    > inside the next earthquake he falls into!
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
    > | week with some *great* stories, <g>.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > |
    > | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > | Shakespeare's,
    > it.
    > | >
    > | > Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
    > | verses
    > | > esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own
    > right.
    > | It's
    > | > all good :)
    > | >
    > | > nite
    > | >
    > | > Rick

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    You are just asking for problems with Norton for the most part in my opinion.

    "Jukka Marttinen" wrote:

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new version
    > > of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact details
    > > (even if in your native language?)
    >
    > I let the Windows update reinstall KB891711 and now it seems to work.
    >
    > Earlier i had problem with Ad-Aware SE software. After scanning my
    > laptop, i tried to fix the problems with Ad-aware, but i couldn't use
    > software with mouse. I couldn't even close the software. Seems that
    > problem was with mouse or display drivers (Silicon Motion Lynx3DM).
    >
    > With Internet Explorer i had same problem. I couldn't close Iexplorer.
    >
    > I tried to switch off the computer, but then came message that there is
    > application, which does not response. There wasn't name for that
    > application in error message window. I tried to close that application,
    > but Windows stopped to response. I had to use reset switch to close laptop.
    >
    > Then I used "add/remove software's" function in Control Panel to remove
    > the update. After that i removed KB891711 folder in the Windows/system
    > folder.
    >
    > After reinstalling the update, it seems to work fine. I have to use my
    > laptop some time and check, if this same problem comes back.
    >

    > > Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and then
    > > use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
    > > interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
    > > disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to see
    > > if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing with
    > > each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are prompt
    > > the problems.
    > >
    > > Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?
    >
    > I don't have Zone Alarm. There is some other applications running
    > background. (Including Norman anti virus software.) I will try to switch
    > off the other applications, if i still have this problem and check if it
    > helps.
    >
    > > Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > >

    > If i have more information about that, i let you know.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    OK, then.

    --
    | I am glad to finally see PCR and Gary S. Terhune are on speaking terms
    again.

    | :-) Remember, I did indeed post under ArtWilder and it was wrong to
    lie and
    | I am sorry but I feared ID theft and now it has happened to me with
    the theft
    | of my social security card. I became what I was afraid of so from now
    on I
    | now to trust God and fear nothing.
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    ....snip
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    You are welcome.

    --
    | Thanks PCR. This brought back memories of me acting in Shakespearean
    plays.

    | :-)
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=14859
    | > ......Quote...........
    | > Full fathom five thy father lies,
    | > Of his bones are coral made;
    | > Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    | > Nothing of him that doth fade,
    | > But doth suffer a sea-change
    | > Into something rich and strange.
    | > Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
    | > Ding-dong.
    | > Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
    | >
    | > William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    ....snip
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    Dan wrote:

    > You are just asking for problems with Norton for the most part in my opinion.

    "(Including Norman anti virus software.) "

    http://www.norman.com/
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    I am glad you still post here bobster. How is your computer doing these days
    and are you dual-booting with 98SE and XP or something else? Thanks in
    advance for the replies.

    "bobster" wrote:

    > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
    > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes the
    > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
    > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
    > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
    > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original version of
    > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
    >
    > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week and I
    > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine. I
    > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
    > problems that the original caused.

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:45:47 GMT, Jukka Marttinen
    >Dan wrote:

    >> You are just asking for problems with Norton for the most part in my opinion.

    >"(Including Norman anti virus software.) "

    Norton != Norman, but Norton's as likely to pick a fight with Norman
    as anyone else...

    "Waaah! That big bully hiit me!"

    ' Yes, Norton does that. Don't take it personally.
    We'll get you a glass eye for your birthday.'

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    "Does anyone know if this would interfere with the effectiveness of
    the security update?"

    LOL you do you seriously think this update will make your machine
    secure???

    No machine running Microsoft is ever secure, one hole plugged
    another 2 or 3 holes opened.

    The solution is to never update, if A hacker should get hold of your
    machine at least it is in in his interest to have your machine running
    smoothly, a faulty machine is no use to him, but it is a revenue
    generator for microsoft.

    Sad but true.
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

    "Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Does anyone know if this would interfere with the effectiveness of
    > the security update?"

    Where's the rest? I see a question about " the effectiveness" of an MS CU for

    > LOL you do you seriously think this update will make your machine
    > secure???

    That truly is a roaring laugh thinking one MS-CU would make a machine secure. I
    find it even more rip-roaring, every time users of other than MS systems/apps,
    come strolling thru like Jimmy Walker and think they have not a care in the
    world.

    > No machine running Microsoft is ever secure, one hole plugged
    > another 2 or 3 holes opened.

    NO Code/Town/City/State/Country/Machine/OS/System/Platform/etc.,etc.,etc. is
    100% secure

    > The solution is to never update, if A hacker should get hold of your
    > machine at least it is in in his interest to have your machine running
    > smoothly, a faulty machine is no use to him, but it is a revenue
    > generator for microsoft.

    As the wheels spin! Hmmmmmmm. Huuuummmmmmmm.
    Thinking aloud:
    A machine that's running smoothly is at least of better interest as a target.

    Hmmmmmm,huummmm, lesssssseeenow!

    All you MS bashers, Do the math.

    > Sad but true.

    Yes it is, and it will be even sadder when the majority of the: "It can't
    happen in my ("WELL") world" find here is no water at the bottom!

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm