891711/MS05-002 "fixed" update: *sigh*

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 13, 2005 6:55:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely while
starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs were
Mode and uninstalled the update.

Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider trying
to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure out
which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the effectiveness of
the security update?

- Alan
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:55:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Yes, it will pretty much completely disable the update if you don't let
it run. The running task *is* the update. On the other hand, do I read
you correctly that you start it manually *after* Windows loads?

If you have the time, could you please try the following t-shooting
steps?

Use MSCONFIG to disable everything in the Startup tab *except* KB891711.
Physically disconnect your internet connection (telephone line or LAN
line, USB cable, whatever, for safety.) Restart. Does the failure still
occur? If so, use Safe Mode to recover. If not, then use MSCONFIG to add
items back in until you find the incompatible item, restarting and
testing after each new addition.

Come to think of it, what kind of internet connection do you have?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
> When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
> experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely
while
> starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs
were
Safe
> Mode and uninstalled the update.
>
> Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
> update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider
trying
> to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure
out
> which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
> executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
> manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the
effectiveness of
> the security update?
>
> - Alan

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

That's right, I use the desktop shortcut to manually start KB891711 once
everything else has finished loading; MSINFO then reports that both the EXE
and the DLL are running.

And I have a dial-up connection.

- Alan

news:o c9GhmGQFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Yes, it will pretty much completely disable the update if you don't let
> it run. The running task *is* the update. On the other hand, do I read
> you correctly that you start it manually *after* Windows loads?
>
> If you have the time, could you please try the following t-shooting
> steps?
>
> Use MSCONFIG to disable everything in the Startup tab *except* KB891711.
> Physically disconnect your internet connection (telephone line or LAN
> line, USB cable, whatever, for safety.) Restart. Does the failure still
> occur? If so, use Safe Mode to recover. If not, then use MSCONFIG to add
> items back in until you find the incompatible item, restarting and
> testing after each new addition.
>
> Come to think of it, what kind of internet connection do you have?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
>> When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
>> experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely
> while
>> starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs
> were
> Safe
>> Mode and uninstalled the update.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
>> update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider
> trying
>> to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure
> out
>> which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the
>>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
>> executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
>> manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the
> effectiveness of
>> the security update?
>>
>> - Alan

April 13, 2005 8:58:03 PM

> That's right, I use the desktop shortcut to manually start KB891711
once
> everything else has finished loading; MSINFO then reports that both
the EXE
> and the DLL are running.

Thanks for the clarification.

> And I have a dial-up connection.

That probably rules out internet connection problems (thinking of
always-on internet connection issues in that were prominent among some
of the previous version's incompatibilities.) I'd still appreciate it if
you would do the t-shooting I requested. Yours is the first report I've
seen of the new version causing any problems, and I'd like to see if we
can narrow the scope of investigation. I can pass that data on to PSS
contacts, and also ask if your workaround has any drawbacks.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

This sounds similar to a problem that used to occur in Zone Alarm firewall, when it
was started as a Service in the RunServices key. Changing how it loaded used to fix
the problem for Zone Alarm. One would remove the entry to start it from RunServices
in the Registry, and instead run it from a shortcut in the user's StartUp folder,
where it would load later in the boot sequence.

INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179365
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
> That's right, I use the desktop shortcut to manually start KB891711 once
> everything else has finished loading; MSINFO then reports that both the EXE
> and the DLL are running.
>
> And I have a dial-up connection.
>
> - Alan

> news:o c9GhmGQFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Yes, it will pretty much completely disable the update if you don't let
> > it run. The running task *is* the update. On the other hand, do I read
> > you correctly that you start it manually *after* Windows loads?
> >
> > If you have the time, could you please try the following t-shooting
> > steps?
> >
> > Use MSCONFIG to disable everything in the Startup tab *except* KB891711.
> > Physically disconnect your internet connection (telephone line or LAN
> > line, USB cable, whatever, for safety.) Restart. Does the failure still
> > occur? If so, use Safe Mode to recover. If not, then use MSCONFIG to add
> > items back in until you find the incompatible item, restarting and
> > testing after each new addition.
> >
> > Come to think of it, what kind of internet connection do you have?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Alan Raskin" <araskin@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
> >> When I originally installed this update on my laptop PC, my computer
> >> experienced problems after the install and would lock up completely
> > while
> >> starting up (after logging in and while the other startup programs
> > were
> > Safe
> >> Mode and uninstalled the update.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, the exact same startup problem happens with the "fixed"
> >> update. If I ever feel the urge to drive myself crazy, I'll consider
> > trying
> >> to disable the other startup programs one at a time to try to figure
> > out
> >> which one is the problem; until then, I've disabled the
> >>
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
> >> executable via msconfig and added a shortcut on the desktop to run it
> >> manually. Does anyone know if this would interfere with the
> > effectiveness of
> >> the security update?
> >>
> >> - Alan

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:40:12 PM

glee wrote:
> This sounds similar to a problem that used to occur in Zone Alarm firewall, when it
> was started as a Service in the RunServices key. Changing how it loaded used to fix
> the problem for Zone Alarm. One would remove the entry to start it from RunServices
> in the Registry, and instead run it from a shortcut in the user's StartUp folder,
> where it would load later in the boot sequence.
>
> INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179365

Disabling all my startup programs and enabling them one at a time
reveals that the culprits are:

ZoneAlarm Free 3.7.159 (firewall)
and
Rain ("CPU cooler")

(Both of these are relatively old programs.)

Trying to load ZoneAlarm manually after everything else had finished

So, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free 4.5.594.000 and the problem went away.

- Alan
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:40:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Excellent! Good to know for the future, too. Thanks for following
through.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Alan Raskin" <araskin@allstream.net> wrote in message
> So, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free 4.5.594.000 and the problem went
away.

> - Alan
April 14, 2005 2:26:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes the
same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original version of
KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.

This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week and I
can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine. I
post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
problems that the original caused.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:00:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing and
figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously suspect
that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to sea,
last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
time.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
> scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes
the
> same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
> KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
> occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
> Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
version of
> KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
>
> This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week
and I
> can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine.
> post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
> problems that the original caused.

April 14, 2005 6:20:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

"Alan Raskin" <araskin@allstream.net> wrote in message news:%23XfsBrIQFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> glee wrote:
> > This sounds similar to a problem that used to occur in Zone Alarm firewall, when it
> > was started as a Service in the RunServices key. Changing how it loaded used to fix
> > the problem for Zone Alarm. One would remove the entry to start it from RunServices
> > in the Registry, and instead run it from a shortcut in the user's StartUp folder,
> > where it would load later in the boot sequence.
> >
> > INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup:
>
> Disabling all my startup programs and enabling them one at a time
> reveals that the culprits are:
>
> ZoneAlarm Free 3.7.159 (firewall)
> and
> Rain ("CPU cooler")
>
> (Both of these are relatively old programs.)
>
> Trying to load ZoneAlarm manually after everything else had finished
>
> So, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Free 4.5.594.000 and the problem went away.

I had the same problem here when I reinstalled EZ firewall - a rebranded Zone Alarm Pro
also Version 3.7.159. Running ca.exe (the ZAP component that provides the user interface
/ tray icon) while the new KB891711.exe is running still causes a freeze up. The latest ZAF
was fine (and my ZAP licence must be almost expired), so I'm reinstalling that.

My other issues (IE fatal error after running A squared update & kb891711 terminating
when I log off Windows) are cured.

Regards

Mel.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:20:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

What version EZ Firewall are you running? Current version is 5.1.039.000
(same for all three, program, engine and driver.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Mel" <news.spammel@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

> I had the same problem here when I reinstalled EZ firewall - a
rebranded Zone Alarm Pro
> also Version 3.7.159. Running ca.exe (the ZAP component that provides
the user interface
> / tray icon) while the new KB891711.exe is running still causes a
freeze up. The latest ZAF
> was fine (and my ZAP licence must be almost expired), so I'm
reinstalling that.

> My other issues (IE fatal error after running A squared update &
kb891711 terminating
> when I log off Windows) are cured.
>
> Regards
>
> Mel.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:53:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=148...
......Quote...........
Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
news:o %23pp%23cLQFHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
| non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
| KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing
and
| figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
| George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously
suspect
| that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
| knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to
sea,
| last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
| time.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run
the
| > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version
causes
| the
| > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
| > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD
always
| > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
| > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
| version of
| > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
| >
| > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a
week
| and I
| > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just
fine.
| > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
| > problems that the original caused.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:04:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

<smile>
....nice poem PCR !

...here's mine for him

Oneness, by Khalil Gibran

All things in this creation exist within you;
and all things in you exist in creation.
There is no border between you and the closest things,
and there is no distance between you and the farthest things,
and all things from the lowest to the loftiest,
from the smallest to the greatest,
are within you as equal things.

In one atom are found all the elements of the earth;
in one motion of the mind are found the motions
of all the laws of existence.
in one drop of water are found the secrets of all the endless oceans;
in one aspect of you are found all the aspects of existence.

Rick

PCR wrote:
> http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=148...
> .....Quote...........
> Full fathom five thy father lies,
> Of his bones are coral made;
> Those are pearls that were his eyes:
> Nothing of him that doth fade,
> But doth suffer a sea-change
> Into something rich and strange.
> Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
> Ding-dong.
> Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
>
> William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
April 14, 2005 8:24:35 PM

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o 4WdKNJQFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> What version EZ Firewall are you running? Current version is 5.1.039.000
> (same for all three, program, engine and driver.)

It was actually version 3.7.179 (not 3.7.159 as I originally posted).

I'm now using ZoneAlarm free 5.5.062.011 without any problems.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Mel" <news.spammel@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>
> > I had the same problem here when I reinstalled EZ firewall - a
> rebranded Zone Alarm Pro
> > also Version 3.7.159. Running ca.exe (the ZAP component that provides
> the user interface
> > / tray icon) while the new KB891711.exe is running still causes a
> freeze up. The latest ZAF
> > was fine (and my ZAP licence must be almost expired), so I'm
> reinstalling that.
> >
> > My other issues (IE fatal error after running A squared update &
> kb891711 terminating
> > when I log off Windows) are cured.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Mel.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:47:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than Shakespeare's,
& more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.

--
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| <smile>
| ...nice poem PCR !
|
| ..here's mine for him
|
| Oneness, by Khalil Gibran
|
| All things in this creation exist within you;
| and all things in you exist in creation.
| There is no border between you and the closest things,
| and there is no distance between you and the farthest things,
| and all things from the lowest to the loftiest,
| from the smallest to the greatest,
| are within you as equal things.
|
| In one atom are found all the elements of the earth;
| in one motion of the mind are found the motions
| of all the laws of existence.
| in one drop of water are found the secrets of all the endless oceans;
| in one aspect of you are found all the aspects of existence.
|
| Rick
|

| PCR wrote:
| > http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=148...
| > .....Quote...........
| > Full fathom five thy father lies,
| > Of his bones are coral made;
| > Those are pearls that were his eyes:
| > Nothing of him that doth fade,
| > But doth suffer a sea-change
| > Into something rich and strange.
| > Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
| > Ding-dong.
| > Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
| >
| > William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:40:21 PM

PCR wrote:
> Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than Shakespeare's,
> & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.

Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric verses
esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own right. It's
all good :)

nite

Rick

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:40:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
week with some *great* stories, <g>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> PCR wrote:
> > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than
Shakespeare's,
> > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.
>
> Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
verses
> esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own right.
It's
> all good :)
>
> nite
>
> Rick
>

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:15:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Yea, Chauvin, I'll agree. Also, let us hope Terhune is not just being
his normal optimistic self, AND that he doesn't discover Dundat to be
inside the next earthquake he falls into!

--
news:o a1qjzTQFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
| week with some *great* stories, <g>.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| > PCR wrote:
| > > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than
| Shakespeare's,
| > > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in
it.

| > Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
| verses
| > esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own
right.
| It's
| > all good :)
| >
| > nite
| >
| > Rick
| >

| > > --
| > > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > > should things get worse after this,
| > > PCR
| > > pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:45:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Let's hope for the one:

I don't have a picture of it, but I caught this fish ( extending arms ) while on
my trip.
Really, wish I had a picture! I caught this fish ( holding arms fully extended )
No really, I caught this fish ( still holding arms fully extended )
No really, I'm telling the truth. I caught this fish ( yet still holding arms
fully extended )

This far from the dock! ( arms fully extended )

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

news:o a1qjzTQFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
> week with some *great* stories, <g>.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> PCR wrote:
>> > Gibran's seems somewhat more "psychedelic" in nature than
> Shakespeare's,
>> > & more egocentric. However, I do suppose there is some truth in it.
>>
>> Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
> verses
>> esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own right.
> It's
>> all good :)
>>
>> nite
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> > --
>> > Thanks or Good Luck,
>> > There may be humor in this post, and,
>> > Naturally, you will not sue,
>> > should things get worse after this,
>> > PCR
>> > pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:09:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Yea, yea, sure-- & not the other way around!

--
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o RZHlXXQFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Let's hope for the one:
|
| I don't have a picture of it, but I caught this fish ( extending
arms ) while on
| my trip.
| Really, wish I had a picture! I caught this fish ( holding arms fully
extended )
| No really, I caught this fish ( still holding arms fully extended )
| No really, I'm telling the truth. I caught this fish ( yet still
holding arms
| fully extended )
|
| This far from the dock! ( arms fully extended )
|
| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| news:o a1qjzTQFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up
next
| > week with some *great* stories, <g>.
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| > Shakespeare's,
| >>
| >> Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
| > verses
| >> esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own
right.
| > It's
| >> all good :)
| >>
| >> nite
| >>
| >> Rick

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:58:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

LOL!!!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o RZHlXXQFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Let's hope for the one:
>
> I don't have a picture of it, but I caught this fish ( extending
arms ) while on
> my trip.
> Really, wish I had a picture! I caught this fish ( holding arms fully
extended )
> No really, I caught this fish ( still holding arms fully extended )
> No really, I'm telling the truth. I caught this fish ( yet still
holding arms
> fully extended )
>
> This far from the dock! ( arms fully extended )

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:05:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

In my laptop the earlier kb891711 update worked fine with 98SE, but
after installing the latest update, Ixeplorer and some other software's
didn't work.

I have now removed kb891711 update and 98SE works fine.

Seems to me that same problem is in other computer with Window Me.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:05:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new version
of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact details
(even if in your native language?)

Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and then
use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to see
if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing with
each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are prompt
the problems.

Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?

Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Jukka Marttinen" <jukka.newsit@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message
> In my laptop the earlier kb891711 update worked fine with 98SE, but
> after installing the latest update, Ixeplorer and some other
software's
> didn't work.
>
> I have now removed kb891711 update and 98SE works fine.
>
> Seems to me that same problem is in other computer with Window Me.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:52:45 PM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new version
> of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact details
> (even if in your native language?)

I let the Windows update reinstall KB891711 and now it seems to work.

Earlier i had problem with Ad-Aware SE software. After scanning my
laptop, i tried to fix the problems with Ad-aware, but i couldn't use
software with mouse. I couldn't even close the software. Seems that
problem was with mouse or display drivers (Silicon Motion Lynx3DM).

With Internet Explorer i had same problem. I couldn't close Iexplorer.

I tried to switch off the computer, but then came message that there is
application, which does not response. There wasn't name for that
application in error message window. I tried to close that application,
but Windows stopped to response. I had to use reset switch to close laptop.

Then I used "add/remove software's" function in Control Panel to remove
the update. After that i removed KB891711 folder in the Windows/system
folder.

After reinstalling the update, it seems to work fine. I have to use my
laptop some time and check, if this same problem comes back.

> Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and then
> use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
> interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
> disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to see
> if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing with
> each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are prompt
> the problems.
>
> Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?

I don't have Zone Alarm. There is some other applications running
background. (Including Norman anti virus software.) I will try to switch
off the other applications, if i still have this problem and check if it
helps.

> Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
> appreciated.

If i have more information about that, i let you know.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:52:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

That's good to hear. Let's hope it was just a one-time, unrelated issue.

--

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new
version
> > of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact
details
> > (even if in your native language?)
>
> I let the Windows update reinstall KB891711 and now it seems to work.
>
> Earlier i had problem with Ad-Aware SE software. After scanning my
> laptop, i tried to fix the problems with Ad-aware, but i couldn't use
> software with mouse. I couldn't even close the software. Seems that
> problem was with mouse or display drivers (Silicon Motion Lynx3DM).
>
> With Internet Explorer i had same problem. I couldn't close Iexplorer.
>
> I tried to switch off the computer, but then came message that there
is
> application, which does not response. There wasn't name for that
> application in error message window. I tried to close that
application,
> but Windows stopped to response. I had to use reset switch to close
laptop.

> Then I used "add/remove software's" function in Control Panel to
remove
> the update. After that i removed KB891711 folder in the Windows/system
> folder.
>
> After reinstalling the update, it seems to work fine. I have to use my
> laptop some time and check, if this same problem comes back.
>

> > Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and
then
> > use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
> > interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
> > disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to
see
> > if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing
with
> > each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are
prompt
> > the problems.
> >
> > Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?
>
> I don't have Zone Alarm. There is some other applications running
> background. (Including Norman anti virus software.) I will try to
switch
> off the other applications, if i still have this problem and check if
it
> helps.
>
> > Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >

> If i have more information about that, i let you know.
April 17, 2005 7:14:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Man, that is so sad.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
> non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
> KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing and
> figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
> George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously suspect
> that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
> knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to sea,
> last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
> time.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
> > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes
> the
> > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
> > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
> > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
> > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
> version of
> > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
> >
> > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week
> and I
> > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine.
> > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
> > problems that the original caused.

April 17, 2005 7:15:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

Thanks PCR. This brought back memories of me acting in Shakespearean plays.

:-)

"PCR" wrote:

> http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=148...
> ......Quote...........
> Full fathom five thy father lies,
> Of his bones are coral made;
> Those are pearls that were his eyes:
> Nothing of him that doth fade,
> But doth suffer a sea-change
> Into something rich and strange.
> Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
> Ding-dong.
> Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
>
> William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> news:o %23pp%23cLQFHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> | Considering the fact that GeoDisk uses a few WindowsME files in a
> | non-supported manner, this can't really be considered a problem with
> | KB891711, at least not until some genius decompiles the whole thing
> and
> | figures out what's going on. Unfortunately, the author (MVP Emeritus
> | George Geyde) has been AWOL for nigh on a year, now. I seriously
> suspect
> | that he's met with an untimely demise and nobody in his "real world"
> | knew enough to (or how to) pass the news on to us. He was headed to
> sea,
> | last I heard, and he and I kept in pretty close touch up until that
> | time.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS MVP Shell/User
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> |
> | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> | > The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run
> the
> | > scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version
> causes
> | the
> | > same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
> | > KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD
> always
> | > occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
> | > Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original
> | version of
> | > KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
> | >
> | > This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a
> week
> | and I
> | > can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just
> fine.
> | > post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
> | > problems that the original caused.

April 17, 2005 7:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

I am glad to finally see PCR and Gary S. Terhune are on speaking terms again.

:-) Remember, I did indeed post under ArtWilder and it was wrong to lie and
I am sorry but I feared ID theft and now it has happened to me with the theft
of my social security card. I became what I was afraid of so from now on I
now to trust God and fear nothing.

"PCR" wrote:

> Yea, Chauvin, I'll agree. Also, let us hope Terhune is not just being
> his normal optimistic self, AND that he doesn't discover Dundat to be
> inside the next earthquake he falls into!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> news:o a1qjzTQFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | OK, but let's not bury him quite yet. Who knows, he might turn up next
> | week with some *great* stories, <g>.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS MVP Shell/User
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> |
> | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> | Shakespeare's,
> it.
> | >
> | > Yeah, they were certainly different personalities, and one esoteric
> | verses
> | > esoteric but in a different way, but each a master in their own
> right.
> | It's
> | > all good :)
> | >
> | > nite
> | >
> | > Rick

April 17, 2005 7:21:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

You are just asking for problems with Norton for the most part in my opinion.

"Jukka Marttinen" wrote:

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Can you be more specific about the problems you had with the new version
> > of KB891711? Any error messages? If so, can you post the exact details
> > (even if in your native language?)
>
> I let the Windows update reinstall KB891711 and now it seems to work.
>
> Earlier i had problem with Ad-Aware SE software. After scanning my
> laptop, i tried to fix the problems with Ad-aware, but i couldn't use
> software with mouse. I couldn't even close the software. Seems that
> problem was with mouse or display drivers (Silicon Motion Lynx3DM).
>
> With Internet Explorer i had same problem. I couldn't close Iexplorer.
>
> I tried to switch off the computer, but then came message that there is
> application, which does not response. There wasn't name for that
> application in error message window. I tried to close that application,
> but Windows stopped to response. I had to use reset switch to close laptop.
>
> Then I used "add/remove software's" function in Control Panel to remove
> the update. After that i removed KB891711 folder in the Windows/system
> folder.
>
> After reinstalling the update, it seems to work fine. I have to use my
> laptop some time and check, if this same problem comes back.
>

> > Also, if you can spare the time, can you reinstall the update and then
> > use MSCONFIG to see what other background programs, if any, might be
> > interacting with KB891711 to cause these problems? This is done by
> > disabling all background apps *except* KB891711, then restarting to see
> > if the problems persist. If not, you then re-enable items, testing with
> > each new addition, until you find the one or more items that are prompt
> > the problems.
> >
> > Are you using ZoneAlarm? Or ETrust EZ Firewall (or EZ Armor)?
>
> I don't have Zone Alarm. There is some other applications running
> background. (Including Norman anti virus software.) I will try to switch
> off the other applications, if i still have this problem and check if it
> helps.
>
> > Any further, detailed information you can provide would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >

> If i have more information about that, i let you know.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 5:36:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

OK, then.

--
| I am glad to finally see PCR and Gary S. Terhune are on speaking terms
again.

| :-) Remember, I did indeed post under ArtWilder and it was wrong to
lie and
| I am sorry but I feared ID theft and now it has happened to me with
the theft
| of my social security card. I became what I was afraid of so from now
on I
| now to trust God and fear nothing.
|
| "PCR" wrote:
....snip
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 5:37:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

You are welcome.

--
news:D 76B26E8-07D9-407A-B384-73E1C939BCA5@microsoft.com...
| Thanks PCR. This brought back memories of me acting in Shakespearean
plays.

| :-)
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=148...
| > ......Quote...........
| > Full fathom five thy father lies,
| > Of his bones are coral made;
| > Those are pearls that were his eyes:
| > Nothing of him that doth fade,
| > But doth suffer a sea-change
| > Into something rich and strange.
| > Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
| > Ding-dong.
| > Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.
| >
| > William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
....snip
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 11:45:47 PM

Dan wrote:

> You are just asking for problems with Norton for the most part in my opinion.

"(Including Norman anti virus software.) "

http://www.norman.com/
April 18, 2005 7:29:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

I am glad you still post here bobster. How is your computer doing these days
and are you dual-booting with 98SE and XP or something else? Thanks in
advance for the replies.

"bobster" wrote:

> The previous release of KB891711 caused a BSOD when I tried to run the
> scandisk/defrag program, GEODisk2. The "new improved" version causes the
> same problem. I have tried it both with the old and new versions of
> KB891711 checked and unchecked in MSconfig/startup and the BSOD always
> occurs when it is checked and never occurs when it is unchecked.
> Surprisingly, that was the only problem I had with the original version of
> KB891711 and it still seems to exist with the new version.
>
> This is a minor annoyance as I only scandisk/defrag about once a week and I
> can uncheck KB891711 in MSconfig, reboot and GEODisk2 runs just fine. I
> post this just to point out that the new version doesn't fix all the
> problems that the original caused.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:57:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:45:47 GMT, Jukka Marttinen
>Dan wrote:

>> You are just asking for problems with Norton for the most part in my opinion.

>"(Including Norman anti virus software.) "

Norton != Norman, but Norton's as likely to pick a fight with Norman
as anyone else...

"Waaah! That big bully hiit me!"

' Yes, Norton does that. Don't take it personally.
We'll get you a glass eye for your birthday.'

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:14:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

"Does anyone know if this would interfere with the effectiveness of
the security update?"

LOL you do you seriously think this update will make your machine
secure???

No machine running Microsoft is ever secure, one hole plugged
another 2 or 3 holes opened.

The solution is to never update, if A hacker should get hold of your
machine at least it is in in his interest to have your machine running
smoothly, a faulty machine is no use to him, but it is a revenue
generator for microsoft.

Sad but true.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:14:54 AM

"Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Does anyone know if this would interfere with the effectiveness of
> the security update?"

Where's the rest? I see a question about " the effectiveness" of an MS CU for

> LOL you do you seriously think this update will make your machine
> secure???

That truly is a roaring laugh thinking one MS-CU would make a machine secure. I
find it even more rip-roaring, every time users of other than MS systems/apps,
come strolling thru like Jimmy Walker and think they have not a care in the
world.

> No machine running Microsoft is ever secure, one hole plugged
> another 2 or 3 holes opened.

NO Code/Town/City/State/Country/Machine/OS/System/Platform/etc.,etc.,etc. is
100% secure

> The solution is to never update, if A hacker should get hold of your
> machine at least it is in in his interest to have your machine running
> smoothly, a faulty machine is no use to him, but it is a revenue
> generator for microsoft.

As the wheels spin! Hmmmmmmm. Huuuummmmmmmm.
Thinking aloud:
A machine that's running smoothly is at least of better interest as a target.

Hmmmmmm,huummmm, lesssssseeenow!

All you MS bashers, Do the math.

> Sad but true.

Yes it is, and it will be even sadder when the majority of the: "It can't
happen in my ("WELL") world" find here is no water at the bottom!

--

!