Update KB837009 Outlook Express 6 Service pack 1

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 14, 2005 11:09:28 AM

Hi guys

from 10 days,all days i have a windows advice of a new available update ,I
go to Windows update and it show me always a new update KB837009.
I have downloaded 10 times these update and if i look on the installation
history i have these 10 times downloads like ok .
When i switch of the PC i have a blue window indicating an error.
What is happening in my PC?
thank in advance for the Help
April 14, 2005 11:09:29 AM

Paolo wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> from 10 days,all days i have a windows advice of a new available
update ,I
> go to Windows update and it show me always a new update KB837009.
> I have downloaded 10 times these update and if i look on the
installation
> history i have these 10 times downloads like ok .
> When i switch of the PC i have a blue window indicating an error.
> What is happening in my PC?
> thank in advance for the Help

For some unknown reason the 837009 update is not 'taking'. It could be
a case of a corrupted Internet Cache, to fix that open up Internet
Options and select Delete Temporary Internet Files in the middle of the
box. You might then try to find the 837009 update listed in the
Add/Remove Programs list and remove it there to then try Windows Update
again after a reboot.

If the update is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list, go to the
Catalog and download the 837009 update as a stand alone executable
file. Then double click that file once ie is closed and you are
offline.
This site requires 800x600 resolution minimum.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/
April 14, 2005 2:50:28 PM

Lee
thank for your answer
I find myself the solution in the MIcrosoft site.
For a strange raison they suggest to cancel with Add-and remove another
patch (the KB823353) then download the KB837009 ,install it and finally
download the KB823353 and install it.
The lather KB837009 must be installed before.
It seem i solve the problem.
Thank
Paolo

"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Paolo wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > from 10 days,all days i have a windows advice of a new available
> update ,I
> > go to Windows update and it show me always a new update KB837009.
> > I have downloaded 10 times these update and if i look on the
> installation
> > history i have these 10 times downloads like ok .
> > When i switch of the PC i have a blue window indicating an error.
> > What is happening in my PC?
> > thank in advance for the Help
>
> For some unknown reason the 837009 update is not 'taking'. It could be
> a case of a corrupted Internet Cache, to fix that open up Internet
> Options and select Delete Temporary Internet Files in the middle of the
> box. You might then try to find the 837009 update listed in the
> Add/Remove Programs list and remove it there to then try Windows Update
> again after a reboot.
>
> If the update is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list, go to the
> Catalog and download the 837009 update as a stand alone executable
> file. Then double click that file once ie is closed and you are
> offline.
> This site requires 800x600 resolution minimum.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

April 14, 2005 6:36:50 PM

Paolo,
Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you mention.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> Lee
> thank for your answer
> I find myself the solution in the MIcrosoft site.
> For a strange raison they suggest to cancel with Add-and remove another
> patch (the KB823353) then download the KB837009 ,install it and finally
> download the KB823353 and install it.
> The lather KB837009 must be installed before.
> It seem i solve the problem.
> Thank
> Paolo
>

> "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > Paolo wrote:
> > > Hi guys
> > >
> > > from 10 days,all days i have a windows advice of a new available
> > update ,I
> > > go to Windows update and it show me always a new update KB837009.
> > > I have downloaded 10 times these update and if i look on the
> > installation
> > > history i have these 10 times downloads like ok .
> > > When i switch of the PC i have a blue window indicating an error.
> > > What is happening in my PC?
> > > thank in advance for the Help
> >
> > For some unknown reason the 837009 update is not 'taking'. It could be
> > a case of a corrupted Internet Cache, to fix that open up Internet
> > Options and select Delete Temporary Internet Files in the middle of the
> > box. You might then try to find the 837009 update listed in the
> > Add/Remove Programs list and remove it there to then try Windows Update
> > again after a reboot.
> >
> > If the update is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list, go to the
> > Catalog and download the 837009 update as a stand alone executable
> > file. Then double click that file once ie is closed and you are
> > offline.
> > This site requires 800x600 resolution minimum.
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:10:14 PM

Q823353 replaced Q837009 in Add/Remove Programs...
Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)

So... it does make sense fiddling with one could affect the other.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Paolo,
| Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
mention.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
| > Lee
| > thank for your answer
| > I find myself the solution in the MIcrosoft site.
| > For a strange raison they suggest to cancel with Add-and remove
another
| > patch (the KB823353) then download the KB837009 ,install it and
finally
| > download the KB823353 and install it.
| > The lather KB837009 must be installed before.
| > It seem i solve the problem.
| > Thank
| > Paolo
| >

| > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

| > > update ,I
KB837009.
| > > installation
| > >
| > > For some unknown reason the 837009 update is not 'taking'. It
could be
| > > a case of a corrupted Internet Cache, to fix that open up Internet
| > > Options and select Delete Temporary Internet Files in the middle o
f the
| > > box. You might then try to find the 837009 update listed in the
| > > Add/Remove Programs list and remove it there to then try Windows
Update
| > > again after a reboot.
| > >
| > > If the update is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list, go to the
| > > Catalog and download the 837009 update as a stand alone executable
| > > file. Then double click that file once ie is closed and you are
| > > offline.
| > > This site requires 800x600 resolution minimum.
| > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

April 15, 2005 9:07:07 AM

MS never keeps any of the older cumulative updates around once a newer
one has been released, but I wanted to inform (especially PCR and)
others who are running non standard versions of dlls that one is
supposed to remove cumulative updates before installing the latest one.
This fact seems to have been lost in the fog somewhere and I can't
point anyone to that bit of offical MS text, but it's true none the
less.

MS did release some (out of numerical order) very high versioned dll
files in these ie and OE cumulative updates and if they are not removed
via the Add/Remove Programs method before applying the next 'in line'
cumulative, one can get stuck with the 'wrong' older dll file - and
that's not a good thing. Some of these oddball combinations apparently
work with no visible problems, others do NOT. But I wonder about all
those buffer overrun vunerablities that existed with the (sometimes)
older, higher versioned files? PCR, are you sure you are happy running
the highest possible version? They come in matched sets for a reason
after all.

To restate that, the newer and latest cumulative updates may or may not
have lower versioned files than what are currently in use on your
machine and thus these newest, lower versioned files will NOT overwrite
or replace those older and higher versioned files so the newer update
is not installed correctly. AND using the /n:v (ignore version test)
switch on the update only allows the update to run, it does NOT correct
the situation at all.

The situation can only be corrected manually, and as MS doesn't always
publish file version lists for unsupported Windows the only way I know
around that is to use WinZip on the update and verify each file in your
system is the proper one to use. I did this last night with the latest
ie 5.50 SP2 cumulative 890923 which is ONLY for ME Windows (NOT
recommended - do not do this at home). I cheated and used the /n:v
switch on it and it worked, but WU scan said I still needed ie
cumulative 832894 which I had not applied previously at all. So I did
that, but it would not run as it read my file versions which were now
outside the acceptable range, so again I had to use the /n:v switch in
order to apply it. THEN I did the manual file version check to show
that 890923 is built correctly in that it contains higher version files
(than 832894) and they were not replaced by the subsequent run of
832894. As long as the registry entry for 832894 is there and the WU
scan calls for a 'same or higher' version test of all the files in that
cumulative update as it currently does, I can run the ME update here on
98se with no conflicts at the WU site. Officially, MS can not approve
of what I have done here as ie 5.50 SP2 is NOT supported running under
98 any longer - 890923 was never even tested with ie 5.50 SP2 and 98.

Update 823353 was a very troublesome 'repeater' update that would not
'take' for quite a few users. Even applying it offline once would
often not work, but for some unknown reason, applying it twice offline
did fix a lot of machines of the WU nag for it. That is what I had to
do with it.

Paolo obviously did not remove a prior OE cumulative update (832353)
before attempting the most recent incarnation of same (837009). I
suspect the problem with 837009 would have gone away had he done only
that, but now we'll never know for sure one way or the other. It is
possible that for a short time only, the WU scan script was written
such that Paolo's 'tip' was a valid cure, I've seen and experienced
similar discombobulations at the WU site myself. But given time, they
always fix it and those problems just seem to go away by themselves,
although _I_ know that someone is actually at the wheel actively
working on the problem.

Paolo, your link did not open here, can you post another?
April 15, 2005 11:59:23 AM

Dear Glee
here is the link you require:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...

I found it occasionally on the web ,but the suggestion they give is working
Regards
Paolo

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Paolo,
> Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you mention.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> > Lee
> > thank for your answer
> > I find myself the solution in the MIcrosoft site.
> > For a strange raison they suggest to cancel with Add-and remove another
> > patch (the KB823353) then download the KB837009 ,install it and finally
> > download the KB823353 and install it.
> > The lather KB837009 must be installed before.
> > It seem i solve the problem.
> > Thank
> > Paolo
> >

> > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> > > update ,I
> > > installation
> > >
> > > For some unknown reason the 837009 update is not 'taking'. It could
be
> > > a case of a corrupted Internet Cache, to fix that open up Internet
> > > Options and select Delete Temporary Internet Files in the middle of
the
> > > box. You might then try to find the 837009 update listed in the
> > > Add/Remove Programs list and remove it there to then try Windows
Update
> > > again after a reboot.
> > >
> > > If the update is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list, go to the
> > > Catalog and download the 837009 update as a stand alone executable
> > > file. Then double click that file once ie is closed and you are
> > > offline.
> > > This site requires 800x600 resolution minimum.
> > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:59:24 AM

That link gives me an error message rather than a web page. Could you check it
again?
--

> Dear Glee
> here is the link you require:
>
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...
>
> I found it occasionally on the web ,but the suggestion they give is working
> Regards
> Paolo
>
> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Paolo,
> > Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you mention.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >
> > "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> > > Lee
> > > thank for your answer
> > > I find myself the solution in the MIcrosoft site.
> > > For a strange raison they suggest to cancel with Add-and remove another
> > > patch (the KB823353) then download the KB837009 ,install it and finally
> > > download the KB823353 and install it.
> > > The lather KB837009 must be installed before.
> > > It seem i solve the problem.
> > > Thank
> > > Paolo
> > >

> > > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> be
> the
> Update

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:04:28 PM

Ok, I removed Q823353 and Q837009 installed fine, however Q823353 does not
now show up as critical update. Does that mean I don't need to install
Q823353 again now?

PCR wrote:
> Q823353 replaced Q837009 in Add/Remove Programs...
> Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
>
> So... it does make sense fiddling with one could affect the other.
>

>> Paolo,
>> Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
>> mention. --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>>
>> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
>>> Lee
>>> thank for your answer
>>> I find myself the solution in the MIcrosoft site.
>>> For a strange raison they suggest to cancel with Add-and remove
>>> another patch (the KB823353) then download the KB837009 ,install it
>>> and finally download the KB823353 and install it.
>>> The lather KB837009 must be installed before.
>>> It seem i solve the problem.
>>> Thank
>>> Paolo
>>>

>>> "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:04:29 PM

Q823353 states that OE6sp1 is not vulnerable.
Is the backup copy of your WAB here:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\yourid.wa~
or do you have a backup copy of WAB represented by a file with no name, just
the tilde ?
--
mae

"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
| Ok, I removed Q823353 and Q837009 installed fine, however Q823353 does not
| now show up as critical update. Does that mean I don't need to install
| Q823353 again now?
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Q823353 replaced Q837009 in Add/Remove Programs...
| > Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
| >
| > So... it does make sense fiddling with one could affect the other.
| >

| >> Paolo,
| >> Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
| >> mention. --
| >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
| >>
| >> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:04:29 PM

I am still waiting for some clarification from MS, but it would appear so, at least
from their point of view.
Q823353 *was* available for about a month on Windows Update, last July, which is
probably when you installed it. In August, MS removed it, saying the vulnerability
it fixed was not a "critical" one on Win98 and WinME, and current limited support
only allows them to fix "critical" vulnerabilities.

Q837009 then becomes the more recent Cumulative Update for Outlook Express, once
Q823353 is uninstalled. Q823353 apparently interferes with the installation of
Q837009 because Q823353 had been the replacement for the earlier update. Since it
is no longer being supplied at Windows Update, Q837009 became the only OE update
you will now see at WU.

At least for now, it seems that Q837009 is what you will be offered at WU, and MS
currently thinks that is all you need on Win98/98SE.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message

> Ok, I removed Q823353 and Q837009 installed fine, however Q823353 does not
> now show up as critical update. Does that mean I don't need to install
> Q823353 again now?
>
> PCR wrote:
> > Q823353 replaced Q837009 in Add/Remove Programs...
> > Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> >
> > So... it does make sense fiddling with one could affect the other.
> >

> >> Paolo,
> >> Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
> >> mention. --
> >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >>
> >> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:04:29 PM

Well, didn't you say the Microsoft site gave you this solution, & that
it said to "finally download the KB823353 and install it"? Do you have
that link, as Glee asked?

Anyway, it won't hurt to wait for Glee to get a response from his own
query to MS. I guess I'll keep my own Q823353 installed, though, pending
further information, as I guess I'm not having any trouble from it.

Glee, there were many reports here of Q823353 itself being offered
multiple times at Windows Update. I wonder...

(a) Could that be why it was pulled?
(b) Could it be that taking Q837009 first, then Q823353, also would
solve multiple offerings of Q823353?

I personally was only offered each once.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
| Ok, I removed Q823353 and Q837009 installed fine, however Q823353 does
not
| now show up as critical update. Does that mean I don't need to install
| Q823353 again now?
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Q823353 replaced Q837009 in Add/Remove Programs...
| > Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
| >
| > So... it does make sense fiddling with one could affect the other.
| >

| >> Paolo,
| >> Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
| >> mention. --
| >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
| >>
| >> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:04:30 PM

Actually, that is not quite what is said, mae. It states that OE6sp1 *does* indeed
have a vulnerability, and that it is critical on all the listed systems in the
article except Win98/98SE/ME....on those systems the vulnerability is not
"critical", and so no fix is offered.

See here, including the FAQ section:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
--

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> Q823353 states that OE6sp1 is not vulnerable.
> Is the backup copy of your WAB here:
> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\yourid.wa~
> or do you have a backup copy of WAB represented by a file with no name, just
> the tilde ?
> --
> mae
>
> "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
> | Ok, I removed Q823353 and Q837009 installed fine, however Q823353 does not
> | now show up as critical update. Does that mean I don't need to install
> | Q823353 again now?
> |
> | PCR wrote:
> | > Q823353 replaced Q837009 in Add/Remove Programs...
> | > Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
> | >
> | > So... it does make sense fiddling with one could affect the other.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:04:31 PM

Oh, I didn't see any mention of critical.
Maybe you have access to a different version.
Some excerpts:
Maximum Severity Rating: Moderate
Vulnerability Identifiers:
Malformed E-mail Header Vulnerability - CAN-2004-0215
Impact of Vulnerability: Denial of Service
Outlook Express 5.5 SP2 >None
Outlook Express 6 > Moderate
Outlook Express 6 SP1 > None

Mitigating Factors for Malformed E-mail Header Vulnerability -
CAN-2004-0215:
• The following versions of Outlook Express are not affected by this
vulnerability:
• Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5SP2
• Microsoft Outlook Express 6 SP1

Workarounds for Malformed E-mail Header Vulnerability - CAN-2004-0215:
Disable the preview pane
--------------------------------
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) related to this security update
Does this update contain any other changes to functionality?
• Sets Outlook Express 5.5 SP2 to view HTML e-mail messages in the
Restricted Sites zone.
• Fixes a behavior that was introduced in MS03-014 where Outlook Express 6
SP1 and later creates a copy of the Windows Address Book in a predictable
location with a file name of “~”.

I thought the above in the FAQ's would be the reason that WU would offer it
for some users. (Based on some factor in previous files or update?)
--
mae

news:o ZkGXzVQFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Actually, that is not quite what is said, mae. It states that OE6sp1
*does* indeed
| have a vulnerability, and that it is critical on all the listed systems in
the
| article except Win98/98SE/ME....on those systems the vulnerability is not
| "critical", and so no fix is offered.
|
| See here, including the FAQ section:
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|

| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| > Q823353 states that OE6sp1 is not vulnerable.
| > Is the backup copy of your WAB here:
| > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\yourid.wa~
| > or do you have a backup copy of WAB represented by a file with no name,
just
| > the tilde ?
| > --
| > mae
| >
| > "Dave B." <daveNOSPAM@telstra.com> wrote in message
| > | Ok, I removed Q823353 and Q837009 installed fine, however Q823353 does
not
| > | now show up as critical update. Does that mean I don't need to install
| > | Q823353 again now?
| > |

| > |

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:01:57 PM

"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> MS never keeps any of the older cumulative updates around once a newer
> one has been released, but I wanted to inform (especially PCR and)
> others who are running non standard versions of dlls that one is
> supposed to remove cumulative updates before installing the latest one.
> This fact seems to have been lost in the fog somewhere and I can't
> point anyone to that bit of offical MS text, but it's true none the
> less.

That is almost certainly incorrect. Upon what do you base this statement? That
has never been the case, going back to Win95.

> MS did release some (out of numerical order) very high versioned dll
> files in these ie and OE cumulative updates and if they are not removed
> via the Add/Remove Programs method before applying the next 'in line'
> cumulative, one can get stuck with the 'wrong' older dll file - and
> that's not a good thing. Some of these oddball combinations apparently
> work with no visible problems, others do NOT. But I wonder about all
> those buffer overrun vunerablities that existed with the (sometimes)
> older, higher versioned files? PCR, are you sure you are happy running
> the highest possible version? They come in matched sets for a reason
> after all.

Please provide examples of "out of order" versioned files in successive
updates.....what files, what updates?

> To restate that, the newer and latest cumulative updates may or may not
> have lower versioned files than what are currently in use on your
> machine and thus these newest, lower versioned files will NOT overwrite
> or replace those older and higher versioned files so the newer update
> is not installed correctly. AND using the /n:v (ignore version test)
> switch on the update only allows the update to run, it does NOT correct
> the situation at all.
>
> The situation can only be corrected manually, and as MS doesn't always
> publish file version lists for unsupported Windows the only way I know
> around that is to use WinZip on the update and verify each file in your
> system is the proper one to use. I did this last night with the latest
> ie 5.50 SP2 cumulative 890923 which is ONLY for ME Windows (NOT
> recommended - do not do this at home). I cheated and used the /n:v
> switch on it and it worked, but WU scan said I still needed ie
> cumulative 832894 which I had not applied previously at all. So I did
> that, but it would not run as it read my file versions which were now
> outside the acceptable range, so again I had to use the /n:v switch in
> order to apply it. THEN I did the manual file version check to show
> that 890923 is built correctly in that it contains higher version files
> (than 832894) and they were not replaced by the subsequent run of
> 832894. As long as the registry entry for 832894 is there and the WU
> scan calls for a 'same or higher' version test of all the files in that
> cumulative update as it currently does, I can run the ME update here on
> 98se with no conflicts at the WU site. Officially, MS can not approve
> of what I have done here as ie 5.50 SP2 is NOT supported running under
> 98 any longer - 890923 was never even tested with ie 5.50 SP2 and 98.
>
> Update 823353 was a very troublesome 'repeater' update that would not
> 'take' for quite a few users. Even applying it offline once would
> often not work, but for some unknown reason, applying it twice offline
> did fix a lot of machines of the WU nag for it. That is what I had to
> do with it.
>
> Paolo obviously did not remove a prior OE cumulative update (832353)
> before attempting the most recent incarnation of same (837009).

No, 832353 supersedes 837009, not the other way around. That is why it was
interfering....it was a newer update already installed, blocking the older one.

> suspect the problem with 837009 would have gone away had he done only
> that, but now we'll never know for sure one way or the other. It is
> possible that for a short time only, the WU scan script was written
> such that Paolo's 'tip' was a valid cure, I've seen and experienced
> similar discombobulations at the WU site myself. But given time, they
> always fix it and those problems just seem to go away by themselves,
> although _I_ know that someone is actually at the wheel actively
> working on the problem.
>
> Paolo, your link did not open here, can you post another?

I can't get Paolo's link to work either. :-\
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:17:47 PM

.... et al. said every word I had in my mouth, Lee. Post a few versions
of the files of which you speak for comparative purposes maybe.

--
> [...]
| did fix a lot of machines of the WU nag for it. That is what I had to
| do with it.
|
| Paolo obviously did not remove a prior OE cumulative update (832353)
| before attempting the most recent incarnation of same (837009). I
| suspect the problem with 837009 would have gone away had he done only
| that, but now we'll never know for sure one way or the other. It is
| possible that for a short time only, the WU scan script was written
| such that Paolo's 'tip' was a valid cure, I've seen and experienced
| similar discombobulations at the WU site myself. But given time, they
| always fix it and those problems just seem to go away by themselves,
| although _I_ know that someone is actually at the wheel actively
| working on the problem.
|
| Paolo, your link did not open here, can you post another?

April 15, 2005 7:32:09 PM

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...
....works for me. There it is from my Address Bar. But, it isn't an MS
site, but just a forum. He is the critical section, which seems to make
sense...

.......Quote.............
Sparky Watts
External
Since: Feb 27, 2005
(Msg. 4) Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:41 am
Post subject: Re: Critical Update KB837009
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)
--------
Yes Robert, JoAnn's issue is the same as mine. From another site I found
the
following today but haven't tried it. It was suggested that the 823353
be
uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs. Next, the 837009 be downloaded
and
reinstalled and then the 823353 be reinstalled. This will be my next
attempt
to cure the issue. Apparently there's an 'installation' sequence that
gets
messed up.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Sparky Watts" <SparkyWatts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > I keep getting reminded to install critical update KB837009 but
I've
> > already installed it, several times.
> > How can I 'kill' the critical update notification or convince
IE6sp1 that

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

> (Web Interface to News search for
> joann 837009
> )
>

> Note that you may find more people more familiar with your OS
> (and all its possible configurations) on newsgroups which specialize
in it.

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
......EOQ...............

--
| That link gives me an error message rather than a web page. Could you
check it
| again?
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
| > Dear Glee
| > here is the link you require:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...

| > I found it occasionally on the web ,but the suggestion they give is
working
| > Regards
| > Paolo
| >
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
| > > Paolo,
| > > Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
mention.
| > > --
| > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
| > >
| > > "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message

KB837009.

| > be
Internet
| > the
Windows
| > Update

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:47:15 PM

Oops, here is what I meant to post. It could be these three need to come
in, in the following sequence...
(a) Q330994
(b) Q837009
(c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)
....if more than one of them is taken.

........Quote................
(Msg. 5) Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:36 pm
> Yes Robert, JoAnn's issue is the same as mine. From another site I
found the
> following today but haven't tried it. It was suggested that the
823353 be
> uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs. Next, the 837009 be
downloaded and
> reinstalled and then the 823353 be reinstalled. This will be my next
attempt
> to cure the issue. Apparently there's an 'installation' sequence that
gets
> messed up.

Have you checked for regressed versions such as the one that
Joann had with msident.dll. I think that if that discrepancy was
not present there likely would not have been a problem with
"installation sequence". If fact, if you had manually tried to install
837009 while a superseding update (such as 823353) was properly
in place then the symptom you would have had would have been
a confusing (but logical) message about prerequisites for 837009
(e.g. OE6sp1) being needed.

Actually there is a subsequent update which I could have mentioned too.

Here's another extract from another post about that issue:

<extract>
> I have Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and Outlook Express Q887797 listed
in
> my add/remove programs.

Then you must have had KB823353 too because it is a prerequisite.
Note that KB823353 superseded KB837009 even though the number
is lower. (e.g., bulletin MS04-018 came out after MS04-013, etc.)

Another poster (Joann) appeared to have two factors which were
contributing to this symptom. A regressed version of msident.dll
and the fact that she had 823353, perhaps as a result of installing
from the Security Updates CD instead of via WU. I suspect that
the regressed module is the real reason why the superseded update
keeps being reoffered. Depending on how the regression occurred
it might be possible to fix that (e.g. using extract, etc.) and then
hope
that the update stops being reoffered.

Can't you just decline KB837009? (I'm not familiar with the WU UI
that your OS gets.) You may get better assistance discussing this
in a newsgroup which specializes in your OS.

Otherwise if you have a regression like Joann you may have to
uninstall all the way back to OE6sp1 since that appears to be
where the version 6.00.2800.1123 modules first appeared.
Unfortunately it is difficult to validate these ideas because the
DLL Help Database is incomplete and because version information
does not appear in many update notices, especially non-critical
service pack announcements such as OE6sp1 was.

Notice that the first critical update notice concerning OE
where file manifests were included was MS03-014 (KB330994)
so it may be sufficient to unistall back to that and then reinstall it
(e.g. in case it actually contains the things that it mentions and
doesn't just list them as prerequisites.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
........EOQ..................

--

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...
| ...works for me. There it is from my Address Bar. But, it isn't an MS
| site, but just a forum. He is the critical section, which seems to
make
| sense...
....snip
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:10:12 PM

Lee wrote:

> MS never keeps any of the older cumulative updates around once a newer
> one has been released, but I wanted to inform (especially PCR and)
> others who are running non standard versions of dlls that one is
> supposed to remove cumulative updates before installing the latest one.
> This fact seems to have been lost in the fog somewhere and I can't
> point anyone to that bit of offical MS text, but it's true none the
> less.

This is the first time i have heard this *fact* i beleive. I you or
anyone can dig out a M$ link stating this officially, i'd be most
appreciative.
Or why not opinions, facts to the contrary. ;-)

If you use Windows Update, you may get offered a new cumulative update
to OE (or to IE) and suggested you install it online at once. I've seen
nothing there about uninstalling earlier ones you have installed first.

If people really did it the way you suggest the latest OE patch, i know
about, 'Cumulative Update for OE6 SP1 (KB887797)' is not only a
missleading name but also a dangerous one, because that patch isn't
(fully) cumulative! (It seems to be a 'cumulative non-security update',
something separate from the 'cumulative security update' series.)

> MS did release some (out of numerical order) very high versioned dll
> files in these ie and OE cumulative updates and if they are not removed
> via the Add/Remove Programs method before applying the next 'in line'
> cumulative, one can get stuck with the 'wrong' older dll file - and
> that's not a good thing. Some of these oddball combinations apparently
> work with no visible problems, others do NOT. But I wonder about all
> those buffer overrun vunerablities that existed with the (sometimes)
> older, higher versioned files? PCR, are you sure you are happy running
> the highest possible version? They come in matched sets for a reason
> after all.
>
> To restate that, the newer and latest cumulative updates may or may not
> have lower versioned files than what are currently in use on your
> machine and thus these newest, lower versioned files will NOT overwrite
> or replace those older and higher versioned files so the newer update
> is not installed correctly. AND using the /n:v (ignore version test)
> switch on the update only allows the update to run, it does NOT correct
> the situation at all.

IMO, if the above is correct, M$ should continue using higher
version-numbers then the erroneos ones, and if older ones were correct
and the ones to use, reissue them with changed higher versionnumbers in
the later updates so that they install correctly. But that is of course
as i said, IMO.

<snip>

> Paolo obviously did not remove a prior OE cumulative update (832353)
> before attempting the most recent incarnation of same (837009). I

MS04-013 - Q837009 - Date Signed: 2004-03-11
MS04-018 - Q823353 - Date Signed: 2004-06-25

837009 isn't the most recent of the two.
832353 will not (any longer) be offered at Windows update as it is not
judged to be *critical* for Win98.

<snip>

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

In history I have KB823353 and KB837009 (About 10 times) but neither are in
the add/remove programme. I have recently ignored the update request to
continue downloading KB837009 but would like a solution to stop it being
offered. Bob

> Well, didn't you say the Microsoft site gave you this solution, & that
> it said to "finally download the KB823353 and install it"? Do you have
> that link, as Glee asked?
>
> Anyway, it won't hurt to wait for Glee to get a response from his own
> query to MS. I guess I'll keep my own Q823353 installed, though, pending
> further information, as I guess I'm not having any trouble from it.
>
> Glee, there were many reports here of Q823353 itself being offered
> multiple times at Windows Update. I wonder...
>
> (a) Could that be why it was pulled?
> (b) Could it be that taking Q837009 first, then Q823353, also would
> solve multiple offerings of Q823353?
>
> I personally was only offered each once.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:08:23 AM

Well, there are THREE of them, that were meant to come in this order...

(a) Q330994
(b) Q837009
(c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)

And, Add/Remove for me shows...
Outlook Express Q823353
....but it was Outlook Express Q837009
....& before that Outlook Express Q330994.

Do you have any of the three? Maybe wait a bit to see the ultimate
outcome for Paolo. Then, uninstall whichever is in there, & go see what
happens at Windows Update.

I think you want to end up with at least Q837009. But I have Q823353, &
Glee is considering it.

--
"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| In history I have KB823353 and KB837009 (About 10 times) but neither
are in
| the add/remove programme. I have recently ignored the update request
| continue downloading KB837009 but would like a solution to stop it
being
| offered. Bob

| > Well, didn't you say the Microsoft site gave you this solution, &
that
| > it said to "finally download the KB823353 and install it"? Do you
have
| > that link, as Glee asked?
| >
| > Anyway, it won't hurt to wait for Glee to get a response from his
own
| > query to MS. I guess I'll keep my own Q823353 installed, though,
pending
| > further information, as I guess I'm not having any trouble from it.
| >
| > Glee, there were many reports here of Q823353 itself being offered
| > multiple times at Windows Update. I wonder...
| >
| > (a) Could that be why it was pulled?
| > (b) Could it be that taking Q837009 first, then Q823353, also would
| > solve multiple offerings of Q823353?
| >
| > I personally was only offered each once.

April 16, 2005 12:36:06 AM

Glee i check and re-check ,but the link is correct.
Paolo

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> That link gives me an error message rather than a web page. Could you
check it
> again?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> > Dear Glee
> > here is the link you require:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...

> > I found it occasionally on the web ,but the suggestion they give is
working
> > Regards
> > Paolo
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > Paolo,
> > > Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
mention.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> > >
> > > "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message

KB837009.

> > be
> > the
> > Update

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:11:18 AM

No, you are right, it is listed as Moderate, not Critical, for all the affected
operating systems.

Affected Components:

• Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2

• Microsoft Outlook Express 6

• Microsoft Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1

• Microsoft Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (64 bit Edition)

• Microsoft Outlook Express 6 on Windows Server 2003

• Microsoft Outlook Express 6 on Windows Server 2003 (64 bit edition)

I *think* it was just removed from the offering because it was not a critical issue,
and Win98 only receives support for critical issues. I am guessing the the MS legal
department wanted it pulled to avoid setting a precedent.
--

> [...]
> | Actually, that is not quite what is said, mae. It states that OE6sp1
> *does* indeed
> | have a vulnerability, and that it is critical on all the listed systems in
> the
> | article except Win98/98SE/ME....on those systems the vulnerability is not
> | "critical", and so no fix is offered.
> |
> | See here, including the FAQ section:
> | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> |

> | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> | > Q823353 states that OE6sp1 is not vulnerable.
> | > Is the backup copy of your WAB here:
> | > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\yourid.wa~
> | > or do you have a backup copy of WAB represented by a file with no name,

April 16, 2005 2:00:40 AM

2nd attempt, sorry about any double posting and confusing snips

glee wrote:

> That is almost certainly incorrect. Upon what do you base this
statement? That
> has never been the case, going back to Win95.

That's exactly why I was so alarmed by the situation I thought I had
'found', I now stand corrected and properly embarassed. My apologies
to all. I got the two updates confused as to which came first in
another thread back in February which went unchallenged and so in my
feeble gray matter, that erroneous thinking became solid fact. 5 days
after my last post there, someone dropped in to beat me over the head
with the truth and post the exact 'Paolo's tip' discussed here. I went
there looking for 'proof' to back up my last post in this thread only
to find that I had been corrected in my absense months ago over there.
That forum is particularly hard to search meaningfully and 5 day old
topics are pretty much off my radar screen completely. That's my
story, and I'm sticking to it!
http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/16398...

I had an earlier exchange with MAXIMUS which he posts a link to in the
above thread as well where I again state my confusion over these two
updates and draw the wrong conclusion, unchallenged yet again. I also
posted similar misinformation in this group some time ago but
appearently everyone had quit on that thread as I did look it up a
couple of times to see if anyone cared to bring me to task like you,
et. al, and the rest in here have properly done.

I'm wondering if I should take up basket weaving or some equally
harmless hobby instead of this one?
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:11:11 PM

You are forgiven. After all, it was MS that couldn't count or were
counting backwards or in little-endian!

--
| 2nd attempt, sorry about any double posting and confusing snips
|

| glee wrote:
| >
| > That is almost certainly incorrect. Upon what do you base this
| statement? That
| > has never been the case, going back to Win95.
| >

| That's exactly why I was so alarmed by the situation I thought I had
| 'found', I now stand corrected and properly embarassed. My apologies
| to all. I got the two updates confused as to which came first in
| another thread back in February which went unchallenged and so in my
| feeble gray matter, that erroneous thinking became solid fact. 5 days
| after my last post there, someone dropped in to beat me over the head
| with the truth and post the exact 'Paolo's tip' discussed here. I
went
| there looking for 'proof' to back up my last post in this thread only
| to find that I had been corrected in my absense months ago over there.
| That forum is particularly hard to search meaningfully and 5 day old
| topics are pretty much off my radar screen completely. That's my
| story, and I'm sticking to it!
| http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/16398...
|
| I had an earlier exchange with MAXIMUS which he posts a link to in the
| above thread as well where I again state my confusion over these two
| updates and draw the wrong conclusion, unchallenged yet again. I also
| posted similar misinformation in this group some time ago but
| appearently everyone had quit on that thread as I did look it up a
| couple of times to see if anyone cared to bring me to task like you,
| et. al, and the rest in here have properly done.
|
| I'm wondering if I should take up basket weaving or some equally
| harmless hobby instead of this one?

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:29:50 PM

I have in Add/Remove 'Outlook Express Q887797' which I have unistalled then
re installed as it didn't seem to make any difference. I still got offered
Q837009. I dont have any of the others in my add/remove window (98SE) I have
a feeling this problem may have cropped up after I had reinstalled Internet
Explorer last year but that is a guess! Bob

> Well, there are THREE of them, that were meant to come in this order...
>
> (a) Q330994
> (b) Q837009
> (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)
>
> And, Add/Remove for me shows...
> Outlook Express Q823353
> ...but it was Outlook Express Q837009
> ...& before that Outlook Express Q330994.
>
> Do you have any of the three? Maybe wait a bit to see the ultimate
> outcome for Paolo. Then, uninstall whichever is in there, & go see what
> happens at Windows Update.
>
> I think you want to end up with at least Q837009. But I have Q823353, &
> Glee is considering it.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | In history I have KB823353 and KB837009 (About 10 times) but neither
> are in
> | the add/remove programme. I have recently ignored the update request
> | continue downloading KB837009 but would like a solution to stop it
> being
> | offered. Bob
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Well, didn't you say the Microsoft site gave you this solution, &
> that
> | > it said to "finally download the KB823353 and install it"? Do you
> have
> | > that link, as Glee asked?
> | >
> | > Anyway, it won't hurt to wait for Glee to get a response from his
> own
> | > query to MS. I guess I'll keep my own Q823353 installed, though,
> pending
> | > further information, as I guess I'm not having any trouble from it.
> | >
> | > Glee, there were many reports here of Q823353 itself being offered
> | > multiple times at Windows Update. I wonder...
> | >
> | > (a) Could that be why it was pulled?
> | > (b) Could it be that taking Q837009 first, then Q823353, also would
> | > solve multiple offerings of Q823353?
> | >
> | > I personally was only offered each once.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:29:51 PM

Uh-oh...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
....is an optional one (not offered at Windows Update) I currently do not
intend to take. I do not know I have the conditions of which it speaks,
& I do not like the rigmarole of activating bits/pieces of it.

(a) What shows in Add/Remove Programs, AFTER you have uninstalled
Outlook Express Q887797?

(b) What is offered at Windows Update, after that one is uninstalled?

(c) What shows up at... IE6, Help, About...

SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
Q891781, & Q890923.

Note how all THREE of mine show up there... Q330994, Q837009, Q823353...
& in the sequence in which they were installed. It could be sequence is
important. (But only the last shows up in Add/Remove Programs, meaning
the first two were replaced.)

--
| I have in Add/Remove 'Outlook Express Q887797' which I have unistalled
then
| re installed as it didn't seem to make any difference. I still got
offered
| Q837009. I dont have any of the others in my add/remove window (98SE)
I have
| a feeling this problem may have cropped up after I had reinstalled
Internet
| Explorer last year but that is a guess! Bob

| > Well, there are THREE of them, that were meant to come in this
order...

| > (a) Q330994
| > (b) Q837009
| > (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)
| >
| > And, Add/Remove for me shows...
| > Outlook Express Q823353
| > ...but it was Outlook Express Q837009
| > ...& before that Outlook Express Q330994.
| >
| > Do you have any of the three? Maybe wait a bit to see the ultimate
| > outcome for Paolo. Then, uninstall whichever is in there, & go see
what
| > happens at Windows Update.
| >
| > I think you want to end up with at least Q837009. But I have
Q823353, &
| > Glee is considering it.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | In history I have KB823353 and KB837009 (About 10 times) but
neither
| > are in
| > | the add/remove programme. I have recently ignored the update
request
| > | continue downloading KB837009 but would like a solution to stop it
| > being
| > | offered. Bob
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > that
| > have

| > own
| > pending

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:47:01 PM

Lee wrote:

> updates and draw the wrong conclusion, unchallenged yet again. I also
> posted similar misinformation in this group some time ago but
> appearently everyone had quit on that thread as I did look it up a
> couple of times to see if anyone cared to bring me to task like you,
> et. al, and the rest in here have properly done.
>
> I'm wondering if I should take up basket weaving or some equally
> harmless hobby instead of this one?

Hey. Next time it will you who correct me, right?
And when we get computers that are fully voice-controled, one can do
both things simultaneuosly. :-)

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:52:51 PM

Att PCR
Before and after the uninstall of 'Outlook Express KB887797' the following
are in the add/remove KB891771,Q823559,Q840315, Q888113, Q890175, all have
(Update) after the entry.

In IE version 6.0.2800.11061c Updates SP1, Q313829,Q889293,Q867282, Q891782,
Q880923,Q887797

Internet Explorer and Express both work well and without the blue screens I
was occasionally getting before I reinstalled IE so no real problem. Just
wondered why I was offered 837009 each time I check for critical updates.
Bob

> [...]
> I have
> | a feeling this problem may have cropped up after I had reinstalled
> Internet
> | Explorer last year but that is a guess! Bob
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Well, there are THREE of them, that were meant to come in this
> order...
> | >
> | > (a) Q330994
> | > (b) Q837009
> | > (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)
> | >
> | > And, Add/Remove for me shows...
> | > Outlook Express Q823353
> | > ...but it was Outlook Express Q837009
> | > ...& before that Outlook Express Q330994.
> | >
> | > Do you have any of the three? Maybe wait a bit to see the ultimate
> | > outcome for Paolo. Then, uninstall whichever is in there, & go see
> what
> | > happens at Windows Update.
> | >
> | > I think you want to end up with at least Q837009. But I have

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:42:39 PM

| In IE version 6.0.2800.11061c Updates
| SP1, Q313829,Q889293,Q867282, Q891782, Q880923, Q887797

That does not show.. Q330994, Q837009, Q823353.. which are the
precursors to Q887797. Well, the first two are precursors, & Q823353 is
under investigation (by Glee). You say all is working well, except
Windows Update. I guess we should look at the files involved. If you
have correct versions, then perhaps take this Registry Key which might
just silence Windows Update...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{2cc9d512-6db6-4f1c-8979-9a41fae88de0}]
@="Q837009"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Version"="6,0,2800,1409"
"ComponentID"="Q837009"

Also, at least for neatness sake, go to...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings

....& add "Q837009", to look thus...
SP1, Q313829, Q837009, Q889293,Q867282, Q891782, Q880923, Q887797

NOW, for the files. Uh-oh, do you have...?...

Q837009_ME.cat
Type: Security Catalog
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
Size: 16,545 bytes
Mod: Thursday, March 11, 2004 01:58:38 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-013
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (837009)
.......Quote.....................................
.......But better go look for yourself......
Outlook Express 6 SP1 for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP2,
Windows 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4, Windows NT 4.0 SP6a, Windows 98,
Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME.

Date Time Version Size File name Platform
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 75,776 Directdb.dll x86
02-Mar-2004 21:18 6.00.2800.1409 593,408 Inetcomm.dll x86
11-Oct-2002 22:08 6.00.2800.1123 47,616 Inetres.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 44,032 Msident.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 56,832 Msimn.exe x86
02-Mar-2004 21:18 6.00.2800.1409 1,175,040 Msoe.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 228,864 Msoeacct.dll x86
11-Oct-2002 22:09 6.00.2800.1123 2,479,616 Msoeres.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 91,136 Msoert2.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 93,184 Oeimport.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 55,808 Oemig50.exe x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 31,744 Oemiglib.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 42,496 Wab.exe x86
02-Mar-2004 21:18 6.00.2800.1409 463,360 Wab32.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 30,208 Wabfind.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 77,824 Wabimp.dll x86
03-Mar-2003 23:57 6.00.2800.1123 27,648 Wabmig.exe x86
.......EOQ...............................

Damn, it doesn't mention "Q837009_ME.cat"! Anyway, if your files match
those versions or are higher (due to you took Q887797), then perhaps
just add/fix those Registry keys, especially "IsInstalled".

Otherwise, uninstall Q887797. Then re-install it, after taking...

(a) Q330994
(b) Q837009
(c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)
---I don't seem to have downloaded it from the Catalog---

....from the Windows Update Catalog, in that order! (Well, maybe not
Q823353, but I do have it installed.)

--
news:D _s8e.9174$WP4.1048@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> [...]
| > the first two were replaced.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | I have in Add/Remove 'Outlook Express Q887797' which I have
unistalled
| > then
| > | re installed as it didn't seem to make any difference. I still got
| > offered
| > | Q837009. I dont have any of the others in my add/remove window
(98SE)
| > I have
| > | a feeling this problem may have cropped up after I had reinstalled
| > Internet
| > | Explorer last year but that is a guess! Bob

| > | > |
| > &
Do
| > you

| > his
| > it.

| > offered

| > would

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:17:26 AM

Thank you for your reply and for accepting I have the intelligence to carry
out your suggestions. I am fairly comfortable modifying the registry but I
do need guidence. Bob
news:o 1zFpz3QFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | In IE version 6.0.2800.11061c Updates
> | SP1, Q313829,Q889293,Q867282, Q891782, Q880923, Q887797
>
> That does not show.. Q330994, Q837009, Q823353.. which are the
> precursors to Q887797. Well, the first two are precursors, & Q823353 is
> under investigation (by Glee). You say all is working well, except
> Windows Update. I guess we should look at the files involved. If you
> have correct versions, then perhaps take this Registry Key which might
> just silence Windows Update...
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
> Components\{2cc9d512-6db6-4f1c-8979-9a41fae88de0}]
> @="Q837009"
> "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
> "Version"="6,0,2800,1409"
> "ComponentID"="Q837009"
(I asume I should copy and paste the above into a new registry key. You will
need to remind me the method or point in me in the direction to find out the
method)

> Also, at least for neatness sake, go to...
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings
>
> ...& add "Q837009", to look thus...
> SP1, Q313829, Q837009, Q889293,Q867282, Q891782, Q880923, Q887797

(I think I can sort this as I think I only have to modify this entry)

> NOW, for the files. Uh-oh, do you have...?... (Not sure, how do I check)
>
> Q837009_ME.cat
> Type: Security Catalog
> Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
> Size: 16,545 bytes
> Mod: Thursday, March 11, 2004 01:58:38 PM

How do I check the above?

> [...]
> speaks,
> | > & I do not like the rigmarole of activating bits/pieces of it.
> | >
> | > (a) What shows in Add/Remove Programs, AFTER you have uninstalled
> | > Outlook Express Q887797?
> | >
> | > (b) What is offered at Windows Update, after that one is
> uninstalled?
> | >
> | > (c) What shows up at... IE6, Help, About...
> | >
> | > SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
> | > Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
> | > Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293,
> Q867282,
> | > Q891781, & Q890923.
> | >
> | > Note how all THREE of mine show up there... Q330994, Q837009,
> Q823353...
> | > & in the sequence in which they were installed. It could be sequence
> is
> | > important. (But only the last shows up in Add/Remove Programs,

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:40:50 AM

You are welcome. First, investigate your file versions, per that article
or what I quoted. Only in the case your versions are equal or higher
should you just modify the Registry, IMO.

--
> [...]
| > (b) Q837009
| > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=26397
| > (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd.)
| > ---I don't seem to have downloaded it from the Catalog---
| >
| > ...from the Windows Update Catalog, in that order! (Well, maybe not
| > Q823353, but I do have it installed.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > news:D _s8e.9174$WP4.1048@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
| > | Att PCR
| > | Before and after the uninstall of 'Outlook Express KB887797' the
| > following
| > | are in the add/remove KB891771,Q823559,Q840315, Q888113, Q890175,
| > |
| > | In IE version 6.0.2800.11061c Updates SP1,
Q313829,Q889293,Q867282,
| > Q891782,
| > | Q880923,Q887797
| > |
| > | Internet Explorer and Express both work well and without the blue
| > screens I
| > | was occasionally getting before I reinstalled IE so no real
problem.
| > Just
| > | wondered why I was offered 837009 each time I check for critical
| > updates.
| > | Bob
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > not
| > speaks,

| > uninstalled?

Q816506,
| > Q867282,

| > Q823353...
| > is
| > meaning

| > unistalled
| > (98SE)
| > | > |

| > ultimate
| > see

but
| > stop it
| > | > | > |
| > solution,
| > Do

| > from
| > though,
| > from

| > also

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

April 18, 2005 8:59:01 PM

i check and re-check the link is correct
regards
"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> That link gives me an error message rather than a web page. Could you
check it
> again?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> > Dear Glee
> > here is the link you require:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/IE6-Setup-Critical-Update-...

> > I found it occasionally on the web ,but the suggestion they give is
working
> > Regards
> > Paolo
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > Paolo,
> > > Could you please give me a link where you found the answer you
mention.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> > >
> > > "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message

KB837009.

> > be
> > the
> > Update

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:59:02 PM

Paolo wrote:
> i check and re-check the link is correct
> regards

Paolo, yes the link is good now, it's was just a coincidence that after you
posted it that day the website happened to go offline intermittently was all,
I couldn't get to it a few times either, but it's fine now and no worries and
surly everyone has since read what you wanted them to see.

Rick
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:51:03 PM

I had the same problem. I had 20 KB837009 updates loaded. I fixed it by going
to control panel, add/remove programs, and removed Outlook Express Updates
and all of the windows updates and then ran a windows updates and down loaded
the updates found. I know this is a lot of bother considering the time to
download but it worked for me.This problem has not returned.

!